• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

3072 posts in this topic

Posted

This is definitely a stupid question but what does "triggering" actually means? I see it everywhere and I'm still not able to grasp the true meaning of it . In this context is that user expressing that he/she got jealous because of Mikan's body or what exactly?

Posted

i honestly think the comment did not need to be made but mikan did not have to reply like that either.

telling other people their bodies trigger you is an awful thing to do but that fan is probably very young and might not understand so she should know better not to snap like that

This is definitely a stupid question but what does "triggering" actually means? I see it everywhere and I'm still not able to grasp the true meaning of it . In this context is that user expressing that he/she got jealous because of Mikan's body or what exactly?

in this situation, it's triggered thoughts of an eating disorder

in places where im uncomfortably crowded for example, my anxiety could be triggered, people talking about dieting triggers eating disordered thoughts for me, when big plans go wrong that largely triggers depressive thoughts for me, just examples

Posted

Even if Mikan is sensitive about her weight I feel that she is missing the point that she is a public person and her audience will sometimes say something inappropriate. I don’t think she can deal with these comments very well and I agree with @mollamolla her reactions are very defensive and extreme. 

I am not saying at all that she should just take hate but she needs to realise that her followers are younger people who haven’t found themselves yet and are not mature. And all of this will keep coming and more as long as she grows on YouTube and Instagram so thicker skin would be beneficial. 

Posted

This always confuses me. Why can't she just ignore the comments she don't like? She's not forced to respond to them. There are so many comments on her posts and she wastes energy on that one? I think Mikan forgets that she's an influencer sometimes, and doesn't realise that people are going to criticise her when she responds like this.

Posted

I wish I could say that she only reacts like this when people comment on her weight but unfortunately she’s passive aggressive even with more neutral or nice comments. Social media and being in society is people commenting on you and things about you and unfortunately having to deal with that. Mikan does this online but I doubt she’d have the same attitude in person

Posted (edited)

I can't believe people actually donated so she could go to school and make something the average weeb in middle school can make, this looks like something only a child would wear and on halloween 

Guess at least she's making an effort to study the subject. There are talentless celebs who are promoted by the media as fashion designers, without spending a day working in or studying the subject.

I find Mikan interesting to watch. Hope she does OK in life. She seems to have had a turbulent life, with her parents being asylum seekers, then divorcing, and her living between two countries. I think she's brave to go on her own to Japan. Wish I could have had more get up and go like she does. 

I'd go as far as to say she doesn't need to apologize for her body at all. Like she said in the comment she naturally has that body and it really isn't her fault if other people have a mental illness. Agreed her initial response is still shitty though of course.

I like @heyhahowyadoin's suggestion of a silent block or the approach that encourages healthier options. I get some people feel that if you're a public figure you have a responsibility to your audience (because they literally help pay your bills) but in all honesty I'd much rather have influencers be themselves and if they're shitty they can drive off all their fans.

I'd hate it if I gained 10k+ followers on instagram and suddenly had to take responsibility for other people simply because they chose to follow me. Idk this view just hasn't changed for me. Maybe it'd be different if I was in that position but idk. I can fully accept that influencers I follow truly owe me nothing but I guess if you're giving them money and time it can be hard not to feel that way. 

I hate the media only promoting skinny people and I used to have bulimia, but even I realise some people just naturally have that body shape.
I think media and fashion are improving to have different body types than they used to. 

I live in Britain and hadn't heard the word before I came online. I assumed it meant the same in the USA as we call being wound up. 

Edited by PLee4
remembered more to add

Posted

What was she expecting from posting such a video? If she knows that she's appearing on pro-ana pages and so on, she still wasn't expecting to get such comments? Don't get me wrong, I understand it hurts when you get called too skinny and inspiring for that constantly when you don't want to be that, but she really should have just seen the comment and move on. Why is she letting it get to herself so much? Block them, end of the story. It IS your body, Mikan, you can't change that, so why let those comments get to you? I don't see the point of being an asshole to the user and hurting them even more.

Posted

For people with a history of trauma or mental illness, it means triggering an extreme reaction of their symptoms. For example: a soldier might have flashback to war after hearing a sudden loud noise and feel emotionally distressed reliving the situation, or someone recovering from an eating disorder might start being critical of their body and starving themselves after watching a fashion show and seeing very thin runway models.

Posted

Wow.. After you guys explained to me what it means I can only say that mikan has all the rights to be angry. What that user said IS indeed offensive. I am not justifying her attitude because she could've still replied in a nicer way or simply block and move on. And we all agree that she has done some pretty messed up stuff . But in this specific stuation I understand where she is coming from :I am skinny too and I get like 10000 comments a day pointing that shit out in a very offensive way . So not gonna lie, I would be pissed if someone said my body triggered ED like who tf do you think I am.

Posted (edited)

I live in Britain and hadn't heard the word before I came online. I assumed it meant the same in the USA as we call being wound up.

The nearest synonyms for trigger would be 'activator' or something like 'automatic release'. It is specific term mainly used in certain fields like psychology and biology or in technology when an implus/stimulus causes a reaction. Other languages like german use the word exactly the same way in spelling and meaning.

Edited by Veeja

Posted

The nearest synonyms for trigger would be 'activator' or something like 'automatic release'. It is specific term mainly used in certain fields like psychology and biology or in technology when an implus/stimulus causes a reaction. Other languages like german use the word exactly the same way in spelling and meaning.

Oh OK, just that when I was speaking to a person in the USA online I told them that something had really wound me up, and they didn't know what I meant, so I explained to them that it wound me up so much it was making me stressed. Then another time they said something had triggered them, and they seemed wound up in the same way I was, so assumed it meant the same thing. 

Posted

it's starting to be annoying whenever she says “this outfit makes me feel like an adult” or “i feel like a grown-up wearing this look” as if she's not an adult at all and still some teen. she might as well just say “i'm a 22 year old teen” just like when kenna says she's a 24 year old kid.

Posted

i think at this point anything mikan posts is gonna be pro-ana fuel simply because of how skinny she is and that’s why it’s tiring. i don’t think she can even control it since she knows how to dress for her body type in a flattering way, which makes her look skinnier. the only way all the pro ana comments will stop is if she wears baggy clothes but she shouldn’t be restricted to covering herself up just because some people can’t handle seeing a skinny person. idk i don’t really like seeing people say her account is pro ana or her poses are because she can’t really control it without dressing outside of her style. she isn’t responsible for other people’s happiness and if she triggers people then they shouldn’t look at her account in the first place

Posted

She uploaded a new video an as always the title is something like 'my japanese boyfriend' 'my japanese school' 'my japanese friends' 'my japanese classmates' why she always remarks the fact that everything is japanese lmao