• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

2993 posts in this topic

Posted

This is one of those situations where I have a controversial opinion. Mikan absolutely gave an asshole response, not denying that in the slightest but what do you guys think a more appropriate response would be? I'm genuinely asking.

I stand by the opinion that influencers aren't responsible for your mental illness or insecurity. Yet as you can see people will project it on to you regardless. I think the poster's comment was unnecessary tbh. Doesn't give Mikan the right to be an asshole without being criticized for it but what is the appropriate response when someone tells you that your normal (to you) body triggers them? If you allow them to keep following you and triggering themself are you then complacent? Where is the line drawn here? 

maybe block without saying that or pm with "love yourself if you need resources here are some please don't indulge in content that's bad for you!" Really, aside from the resources thing it's in the wording... but that's just my opinion

Posted (edited)

I think it is a huge difference if you are privat person or a public person and the problem with social media is that the usual natural boundaries between these two options blur. However being a social media influencer by choice and making money with it you have a certain kind of responsibility - for others and for yourself.

When mikan would bitch like this in privat to people it would be a different story. It is simply unprofessional behavior. In other jobs you cannot rant like this to customers as well. She could have wrote something like:

"This is sad. Maybe you should stay away from content which triggers you or even better try to find methods not getting affected by it #self-love"

Or something like that. I am very bad at foreign languages because I always tend to direct translate from my first language but I hope you understand the undertone and what I mean.

Edited by Veeja

Posted

This is one of those situations where I have a controversial opinion. Mikan absolutely gave an asshole response, not denying that in the slightest but what do you guys think a more appropriate response would be? I'm genuinely asking.

I stand by the opinion that influencers aren't responsible for your mental illness or insecurity. Yet as you can see people will project it on to you regardless. I think the poster's comment was unnecessary tbh. Doesn't give Mikan the right to be an asshole without being criticized for it but what is the appropriate response when someone tells you that your normal (to you) body triggers them? If you allow them to keep following you and triggering themself are you then complacent? Where is the line drawn here? 

"I'm so sorry if I had triggered something unpleasant." its as simple and not assholey-ish way to do it. I can also sorta understand where she was coming from with this comment. Regardless, her initial response was rude.

mikanasshole.png

Posted

i don’t think she needs to apologize. how would you guys feel if someone said your body triggered them? that’s honestly really insulting. just because she’s skinny no one cares. yeah her response was bitchy but it’s not her responsibility to take care of her followers’ mental health. she doesn’t owe niceties to someone just because they have an ED. if mikan’s weight bothered them so much they could’ve just exited her page and moved on without saying anything 

Hidden Content

I'm also hella skinny, but I'm sure Mikan's follower was young. Also, their comment had a sad face next to it. If it hadn't then Mikan would have absolutely every right to outright block the person. Her fanbase consists of young, impressionable kids who wish to have anime legs like her. 

Posted

I'm also hella skinny, but I'm sure Mikan's follower was young. Also, their comment had a sad face next to it. If it hadn't then Mikan would have absolutely every right to outright block the person. Her fanbase consists of young, impressionable kids who wish to have anime legs like her. 

idk, even if her follower is young it’s still hurtful. it’s not mikan’s job to make everyone happy even if they’re kids. if they’re young and get easily triggered, why are they looking at her posts in the first place then? kids can say mean things and it can hurt even if they don’t know. if anything this situation will teach this follower and maybe others how to consider others before talking commenting about weight. don’t get me wrong mikan’s comment was rude too but i don’t think mikan should be held responsible for that commenter’s happiness or not

Posted

"I'm so sorry if I had triggered something unpleasant." its as simple and not assholey-ish way to do it. I can also sorta understand where she was coming from with this comment. Regardless, her initial response was rude.

mikanasshole.png

I'd go as far as to say she doesn't need to apologize for her body at all. Like she said in the comment she naturally has that body and it really isn't her fault if other people have a mental illness. Agreed her initial response is still shitty though of course.

I like @heyhahowyadoin's suggestion of a silent block or the approach that encourages healthier options. I get some people feel that if you're a public figure you have a responsibility to your audience (because they literally help pay your bills) but in all honesty I'd much rather have influencers be themselves and if they're shitty they can drive off all their fans.

I'd hate it if I gained 10k+ followers on instagram and suddenly had to take responsibility for other people simply because they chose to follow me. Idk this view just hasn't changed for me. Maybe it'd be different if I was in that position but idk. I can fully accept that influencers I follow truly owe me nothing but I guess if you're giving them money and time it can be hard not to feel that way. 

Posted (edited)

To clarify, I am skinny and have also had people make such comments about my body IRL. Rather than snapping at them, I try to explain that this is simply due to high metabolism that I've had since birth and my body shouldn't be an aspiration, all bodies are beautiful etc. Yes, these comments make me uncomfortable, but I'd never reply to anyone like she did IRL. And, if I chose to be a social media influencer like she CHOSE to, I would totally see it as my duty to inform my young audience about body image/ed resources and try to help them. Alternatively, I would not reply at all, and instead, keep these resources in a story highlight or something. It's so easy to not be a bitch. I don't know why people are defending her, tbh.

Edited by clair de lune
Wording.

Posted

idk, even if her follower is young it’s still hurtful. it’s not mikan’s job to make everyone happy even if they’re kids. if they’re young and get easily triggered, why are they looking at her posts in the first place then? kids can say mean things and it can hurt even if they don’t know. if anything this situation will teach this follower and maybe others how to consider others before talking commenting about weight. don’t get me wrong mikan’s comment was rude too but i don’t think mikan should be held responsible for that commenter’s happiness or not

idk man, maybe the most diplomatic response was not to leave one? she can answer to the dozens of compliments fans give her.

Posted

I used to be skinny and suffered bullying for it and absolutely everybody would include a comment like "don't worry, you'll get fat one day!"

Maybe Mikan doesn't have the maturity to deal with this new triggered generation.

EVERYTHING is a trigger now and triggered people HAVE to make it clear that they are triggered.

But that's no excuse for Mikan to be so blunt and disrespectful. I second everybody here, Mikan had many other ways to deal with that simple comment - far from being the worst comment she ever read.

Posted

Uhm... maybe just ignore it and go by your day? She could either delete the comment or just ignore, she isn’t forced to respond... 

I don’t understand why she puts so much energy in this...

Posted

To clarify I never said she had to apologize for her body. She could’ve just said some shit like “I’m sorry if you had gotten triggered.” some shit plain and simple. Instead of just “ok I’ll block u.” that’s an asshole response. 

Posted

Uhm... maybe just ignore it and go by your day? She could either delete the comment or just ignore, she isn’t forced to respond... 

I don’t understand why she puts so much energy in this...

exactly my point! 

Posted

I agree with both sides here completely however, her comment about I feel like I should hide my body etc. ‘All I did was have the body I naturally have’ is just..... snowflakey. Woe is me for I am too skinny 🙄

In my opinion she should just block these people and say nothing, that way she doesn’t appear bitchy and someone who is triggered cannot get triggered by her anymore. A happy neutral if you will!