• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

2975 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Screenshot_2019-12-02_at_4.22.07_PM.thumScreenshot_2019-12-02_at_4.21.58_PM.thumScreenshot_2019-12-02_at_4.21.46_PM.thumScreenshot_2019-12-02_at_4.21.34_PM.thum

The era of the pink plait pinafore needs to end... its always this pinafore and a white blouse or t-shirt behind which doesn't complement it as much

What she really needs to do is play with her frame more. Her frame gives her a lot more wiggle room so she can play around eith different fits more easily than most foreign people can. The fact that she always has the same fit everytime is not only boring, but dated. 

Look at her classmates and you'll see that Japan is all about oversized clothing right now. Boyfriend jeans. Trenchcoats. Long cardigans. Fluffy sweaters. The type of fashion she's sporting now is out of date even in Harajuku.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/909573/japans-wild-creative-harajuku-street-style-is-dead-long-live-uniqlo/amp/

http://tokyofashion.com/photos/

Edited by Sugi

Posted

mikan is the poster child of all instagram girls who claim theyre wearing jfashion but in reality are just wearing storenvy, tumblr and yesstyle's version of "j-fashion"

i was kind of hoping her style would mature more once she started living in japan and realized that like 99.9% of people DO NOT wear anything remotely even close to what she wears but here we are.... still looking at every single reiteration of plaid school girl uniform she could possibly get her hands on and cheap cheap cheap fast fashion items from H&M and yesstyle.'

just scrolled through her instagram for a few moments and i'd care to say that 90% of posts, shes wearing one plaid item.  

That's probably what happens when you're too stingy and would rather accept the nth Yesasia sponsorship than to actually look for pieces that fit to you and that have good quality.

Posted (edited)

ALL she wears is schoolgirl clothes and dresses/vests with plain tees or turtlenecks underneath... and she really thinks she has an eclectic fashion sense. She acts like she can't define her style when people ask her to, like it's something she just came up with and no one else does it.

Oh and what does she make at her fashion school, where she has access to a huge amount of materials and ideas? Carbon copies of outfits she already owns. Coming up with a pair of trousers is beyond her but she's going to have her own fashion line one day... sure Mikan. 

Edited by Golden.peach

Posted

It's almost insulting that a person like her attends Bunka, of all places... She is so un-invested in the going trends of Japan it's ridiculous lol. This may come as a shock but Tokyo has more clothes and styles outside of Wego, H&M, and Uniqlo... She has the potential to probably approach and work with lots of incredible small designers and brands, but she is just so out of touch that it would never happen. If anyone were to take a shot each time they saw that god forsaken pink plaid dress in Mikan's feed they would surely die of alcohol poisoning.

I’m pretty sure she only went because her friend suggested it, she’s just like the people she shits on in her video who come to Japan with no real reason

Posted (edited)

speaking of tokyo fashion her friend naomi and that girl (frokyo) who was in vina's meet and greet video something last march (i think?) or was it in april? they are both at the tokyo fashion instagram page. i wonder when will vina ever be posted there or if she might ever get posted with her ummm...fashion sense or statement whatever.

IMG_8218.thumb.PNG.7de0b7b05641f0581d119also the photo above of naomi is not only at tokyo fashion but also at vogue (us).

IMG_8214.thumb.PNG.0a7662df95b395cbdbf00

IMG_8215.thumb.PNG.4feaa170a7dd4ef97e0df

Edited by blvck

Posted

what i noticed in the video was that her classmates' clothes were completely experimental and reflected who they were and what they liked, whereas mikan just sticks to these rigid "school-kawaii" style that's outdated rn.

Posted (edited)

Even that girl who used to be in Mikan’s vlogs, Max had a more original style. There’s nothing wrong with how Mikan dresses but I’d have higher expectations for someone who goes to a fashion college and is looking for a career in the industry. The only thing slightly unconventional she wore was that dress for the entrance ceremony. 

Edited by mollamolla

Posted

i love love love frokyo's fashion. when she was in mikan's vlog i followed her instagram immediately hahaha

the feeling i get with mikan's wardrobe is... baby's first alternative online store???? like there's nothing unique about her style, it's just the same kawaii safe-edgy stuff that a lot of internet girls do. which would be fine and all if she weren't in school to be a fashion designer. 

i know fashion is about trends, but to me i would much rather be the trend SETTER than the trend FOLLOWER. 

Posted

vina is definetly not the person you should be asking an outfit idea for a date considering how she styles and her wardrobe which still hasn't improve even if she went to a fashion school for what 8 months now? ik most of her fans/followers are probably teens or preteens but really you should think twice first imo.

IMG_8213.thumb.PNG.ca083606325711282ee6c

Posted

vina is definetly not the person you should be asking an outfit idea for a date considering how she styles and her wardrobe which still hasn't improve even if she went to a fashion school for what 8 months now? ik most of her fans/followers are probably teens or preteens but really you should think twice first imo.

IMG_8213.thumb.PNG.ca083606325711282ee6c

It seems like her followers actually like her lackluster style, probably because it's so generic kawaii internet fashion and they are just teens with no no taste yet :alpacadone: 

Posted

I feel like her style isn't progressing because she doesn't really have the money to spend on clothes so she basically depends on the freebies she gets from places like yesstyle. I'm pretty sure she actually said something like this at one point, too.

I'd love to see her thrift and try her hand at thrift flips. That way she'd be able to have affordable new clothes, sewing practice for school, and interesting YT content. 

Posted

She's young, skinny and has legs that go for days, if I were her I'd be wearing things that show them off like those skirts and shorts do. I think she needs to do something about her hair though. I know she straightened it because it was too high maintenance when curly but it just looks so thin, especially when she does the plaited pigtails she loves so much. The hair needs a bit of body put into it, it's just sort of lifeless ATM, either with some curl or she should cut it back into the shoulder length Lob.

I do think it's a shame she straightened her hair.
---

The trouble with Mikan is that all her outfits look the same. The formula is:

Plaid
Only wears black, yellow, brown, red, pink and white
Turtle-neck with spaghetti-strap singlet
Short skirts
Big jackets
Sleeveless dresses layered over tops
black shoes
solid colour socks

All her outfits look the same cause they're all about plaid and layering.

Posted

I feel like her style isn't progressing because she doesn't really have the money to spend on clothes so she basically depends on the freebies she gets from places like yesstyle. I'm pretty sure she actually said something like this at one point, too.

I'd love to see her thrift and try her hand at thrift flips. That way she'd be able to have affordable new clothes, sewing practice for school, and interesting YT content. 

she did thrift once or twice i think and she has a video of that with prettypastelplease also a haul and she said it herself that thrifting is expensive (somewhere along those lines) that's why she doesn't do them. so idk how she will do thrift flips considering she also said that she is still not that good with sewing (someone asked on her insta story if she can show sewing related videos or something but she declined), sometimes when she says “i'm not good with this or that” makes me wonder if she is actually not that good yet or she really is but just say it bc she's fishing for compliments since she's the type of person who seeks constant validation from her fans/followers.

Posted

She does thrift. Thrifting isn’t as cheap in Tokyo and she does have the same weeby taste whether thrifting or getting freebies