• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

2539 posts in this topic

Posted

Omfg.... 

Posted

I sometimes watch Mikan when i’m bored and other than childish ig stories and oversensitivity i don’t mind her. However I don’t get why in her last video people were supposed to ask her friend questions, but she kept interrupting him and answering for him...? Found it pretty impossible to watch, it stressed me out how she didn’t let him finish a single sentence ):

God she was insufferable in that video, I had to turn it off. She was also being pretty mean but I guess she thinks it's """"brITiSH humour"""" (saying stuff like "I'd never have a crush on someone like you sorry lol" and just generally being unpleasant to the poor guy - besides cutting him off every single time he opened his mouth, god). He seemed like such a genuinely nice person, don't know why he's friends with her honestly. 

Posted

My takeaways are that she can't share the spotlight and has to dominate all interactions. This may drive a lot of people away from her which is why she clings to those who are willing to submit to her "strong" personality and understand her "British" humor. 

Posted

I never really watch her, but she's got this...rude vibe to her. I don't know how to explain it.

Posted

I never really watch her, but she's got this...rude vibe to her. I don't know how to explain it.

Arrogance? Pettiness?

Posted

In the new video Henry honestly seemed annoyed she kept pulling out the camera

Posted

It’s her weird well spoken English accent that irks me I think. 
I don’t know anyone who talks like that and I’m from the UK.

Posted (edited)

so she has a new "what's in my bags video" and i actually quite enjoyed watching it. i gotta say i really like that pink Teddy Blake bag that she got as a gift from them, so i looked it up and asdjaskldjalk

TB.thumb.PNG.3eecdda961701f92f42793d013b

td2.thumb.PNG.e9bd25e7ad9302165acc9d4f2f

isn't telling where you go, what your bags look like, and giving a tour of their pockets and pouches a bad idea?

Edited by ShoopShow

Posted

It’s her weird well spoken English accent that irks me I think. I don’t know anyone who talks like that and I’m from the UK.

She said in an older video she learned English through her school teachers in the UK. She grew up not speaking English, so guess she picked up her accent through a mix of people from different regions. Whether it be her teachers and shows/movies.

Posted

Yeah that is understandable, and It’s not a criticism by any means but the rude vibe 20 mentioned for me is the accent.

Posted

Mikan is sooo annoying and I'm glad Henry has no problem calling her out when he feels uncomfortable with the camera in his face while he's trying to eat. You could tell Tsukuro was uncomfortable having a camera shoved in her face at inappropriate moments too in Mikans video with her, but she didn't have it in her to call Mikan out like Henry. 

And yeah I know she can't change her voice but too much of her accent is soooo grating, it feels over exaggerated at times. I feel like such a bitch because that's probably my biggest issue with her videos, especially because she tends to go off on off-topic tangents and it makes her videos longer than necessary. 

Posted

I’m a pretty long time lurker here and I watch a decent amount of her videos so get ready for an essay:

1. I’m English but I didn’t grow up in the uk (I moved here at 16 I’m now 19). I have an accent really similar to hers which I got from my parents (both of them grew up middle class in the south where lots of people have this accent) and a decent amount of my friends at sixth form in London have it too (also in a middle class area). I went to an English school when I wasn’t in the UK and most of the students spoke it fluently but not as a first language. Lots of them seemed to find the accent irritating tbh I do too. So it is an English accent, but it’s generally attached to a specific class in the south (I’ve never heard a Northerner who grew up in the North or Midlands have it).
  2. The whole British humour thing is kind of complicated. Sarcasm and irony are a theme through pretty much all ‘British humour’ but not all of it is ‘roasting’ I would describe a lot of British humour as sarcastic absurdism e.g just a minute radio show or 8 out of 10 cats which is a mix of roasting and absurdism.  Among young people humour is often very rude/harsh sounding and there’s a lot of roasting. There are some caveats though. My sister came back from uni and used the same humour with my mum (because she misunderstood when people use it) and it didn’t come across as funny it was just disrespectful. I don’t do it with my friends (and they don’t with me) here because I’m autistic and I find it very difficult to not only understand when it’s appropriate but to also understand a lot of the jokes. It’s easier for me to just avoid. It also only seems to be done when both people/groups are there. Also responses tend to be an eye roll or an ‘over it’ face and sometimes a self deprecating continuation of the joke not necessarily a comeback, which is why it often seems one sided. A lot of her jokes do fall under the British banter, however, because I don’t know how her relationships work I don’t know if it’s appropriate or not (generally I wouldn’t think it’s great to do with non British people unless you’re very close and can be really honest about whether it’s upsetting or not). I personally see a lot of it as hurtful but that’s not personal to her. Also it’s not an excuse for being malicious, savage banter doesn’t come from a place of malice.
  3. Influencers being very defensive is very normal although irritating. Influencers often do something kind of shitty (not horrendous but still rude/hurtful) like mikan talking about Tsuruko being lazy/going nowhere. So when people call them out it’s often a valid criticism but the defensiveness tends to come from the translation of real relationships to online ones. In real life if you do something shitty (as we all do) and our friends let us know it wasn’t nice you listen and think about then apologise and do your best not to do it again. If you’re mature it doesn’t feel like an attack because it’s someone who you know doesn’t hate you (coming from an actually mentally ill person who’s working on being mature) so you can actually reflect and realise you negative behaviours. Online though, if you get lots of people criticising the behaviour it appears to feel like an attack more so than one person being really rude and hateful. So to protect themselves and avoid their mistakes influencers categorise it as haters or negativity and then post Instagram stories being overly defensive *cough mikan*. I think the best thing is to probably not talk about it if you haven’t done something horrendous. Defensive social media posts obviously come across to viewers as annoying/bratty so they comment about it and the cycle continues. The problem is the behaviours do tend to warrant criticism. Because we only see small parts of influencers lives, we don’t know if they’ve apologised or worked through it privately. I think the frustrating thing with mikan is she keeps doing these things, so (even if her friends are okay with it) I don’t think she’s addressing her negative social behaviours. It feels like she’s entirely blaming the criticism on how it’s received not how she’s communicating.
  4. For me ‘gossip and tea’ are morally difficult to navigate because I enjoy lurking here and I watch drama channels even though I know it’s not nice for the influencers on the receiving end. Also we all know influencers look at their negative comments and lurk on their pages here it really irritates me when they say they don’t. I guess just be mindful of what you say because influencers aren’t the only people who do mean/dumb things without apologising and fixing it. 
  5. On the flip side if you do read this Mikan, I honestly think a lot of the comments here aren’t coming from a hateful/malicious place and are just criticisms of behaviours and not who you are as a person. I enjoy your content and I do think you’re a nice person but you really need to work on your ability to communicate publicly. I personally have had to work very hard on my own communication skills and it doesn’t happen quickly. Therapy helps as well as the knowledge that good communication involves a lot of thinking about how to say what you mean in a way people will actually understand what your trying to say.

Pls don’t come for my grammar/spelling I only do stem subject for a reason

Also mikan please stop buying fast fashion, or at the very least stop showing it publicly. The clothes you tend to get form dollskill/yesstyle etc. don’t look good quality and are very basic given you have a big interest in fashion. I’m sure you know that they’re made unethically and are really, really bad for the environment. Just because they’re cheap/free doesn’t mean they’re worth it. I really liked the clothes you got from thrifiting with Alex. I know not buying fast fashion can be expensive, but wouldn’t you rather 5 nice vintage clothing items than 30 cheap, sweatshop made items? There are lots of content creators that don’t buy fast fashion but are still style themed (like Kristen Leo) and have a substantial following. I know it’s preachy and inconvenient but you could make some really cool videos thrifting and upcycling clothes to match your style ( ◠‿◠ )

Posted (edited)

Somewhat off-topic but Mikan‘s friend Henry follows this account (I hope the picture is attached) ... Could this be one of Hiro‘s side accounts? Mikan doesn‘t seem to follow this account though 🤔 However the Kanji displayed would fit Hiro‘s screen name as we often saw in their LINE Chat screenshots as well as the bio looking like Hiro‘s captions but then again the pfp doesn‘t look like him

edit: the name literally even has hirokazu in it LMAOOO im dumb but anyways she doesnt follow this account so could it be she wouldnt know about it? or he soft blocked her? idk

5A65F4D2-61E7-480F-BF43-E6877FD91F9F.jpeg

Edited by lorrinda

Posted

Somewhat off-topic but Mikan‘s friend Henry follows this account (I hope the picture is attached) ... Could this be one of Hiro‘s side accounts? Mikan doesn‘t seem to follow this account though 🤔 However the Kanji displayed would fit Hiro‘s screen name as we often saw in their LINE Chat screenshots as well as the bio looking like Hiro‘s captions but then again the pfp doesn‘t look like him

edit: the name literally even has hirokazu in it LMAOOO im dumb but anyways she doesnt follow this account so could it be she wouldnt know about it? or he soft blocked her? idk

Pure speculation mind, but hilarious if hirokazu made a new account to dodge Mikan on social. If that is his I'd bet he made it to avoid her because that bio is a kind of vague "If you wait for happiness it won't come" but in the context of their weird relationship now it almost reads like he's trying to put some distance between them. "Even if you wait I'm not getting back together" kind of thing. Again pure speculation but interesting to think about.

Posted

I'm willing to bet this is him because even if the profile picture isn't actually him, Hirokazu was into suits and vintage styles and liked antique stuff. The picture may of a celebrity he liked from the 20th century, or maybe an old picture of his father or something.