• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

2527 posts in this topic

Posted

Honestly when people have to make an excuse like it's British humor there is something wrong there. Normally you don't have to defend yourself if it is a joke. 

Posted

I personally have a hard time with /that/ much teasing. I can handle an occasional comment or two, but it's still pretty tiring. I'm already insecure, I don't need my flaws to be pointed out even if it's a joke. Usually when my friends do it they'll immediately balance it out with a compliment like "sorry, i'm just joking, you're great".

Even if she's not always straight up being mean, that sort of acting leads to people being slightly on edge around you. In the end they'll associate you with feeling tense and uncomfortable without really knowing why, and you lose appeal as a friend. Then they meet a normal person who doesn't constantly put them down, and you suddenly seem really bitchy in comparison. So I get why people don't stay friends with her and she thinks 3 years is a long time to stay friends.

Posted

Not only was the new video really awkward and mean-spirited, it was just so uninteresting. 

Mikan hyped up her friendship with Piper at the start of the video so much, but then for their first meeting after 3 years(!) she just documented them buying towels and baskets.

Her videos used to be fresh and put-together but I couldn’t even make it through this one. How did she sit and edit 15 minutes footage of following Piper around a shop and constantly getting annoyed at her for not knowing what she needs - and think that was a good quality video to post for her subscribers? 

Posted

Lol I think Mikan loves to brag a lot to her followers. Look at me! Look at me! I have so many friends and I have tthis amazing life in Japan! She loves to bring up her ex whenever she has the chance, gotta make sure people know that her and hiro are still "friends" because she just loves showing off how she has more Japanese friends than you uwu~ Anyway a bit of bragging is alright nothing wrong with that, but constant flexing can give impressionable young weebs that disillusion that Japan is fantasy land where nothing goes wrong! Anyway its not really a problem I have with her, all the j-vloggers are like this. 

The Piper situation was really awkward... Personally I genuinely think that Mikan was very excited about seeing her friend for the first time in Japan from the way she talked about it. But to be blunt she seems like an attention seeker and has a savior complex. The fact she kinda is feeding her ego because she helped Piper get to glorious nippon is really off-putting and she obviously has to rub it in everyone's face. Shes the type of friend that likes to make everything about themselves and always is quick as  ever to take credit for everything... I've dealt with people like that before. Your insecurity is showing Mikan, its great that you helped her come here but don't put down your friends on your video and embarras them infront of your 150,000 followers. "Oh she has nothing to do with her life and is a loser yadda yadda" is what you want to tell people as a first impression? Girl bye it makes you look like a bitch honestly. 

Oh and yes "banter" in the UK can actually be really harsh... well at least in Scotland cause thats what I know. But honestly... Mikans banter always seemed tame to me? I have heard a lot worse than that at my former work for example. That type of banter I wouldn't say is sarcastic but more shading and "roasting" the person, in a joking format. Some people can take it but usually if the person is not a dick they don't push that kind of thing to more sensitive people. I'm honestly not trying to excuse her though. The ones that hide behind "iTs JuST a JoKE! Calm DoWN!" To not look like a total dick well, means they are just being a dick lol.

Posted

Concerning Max topic. I believe Max started keeping a distance. Not necessarily bec of banter but remember way back in page 80 or 90 something? When there was the discussion about mikan's dress and flowercrown. Mikan said that she asked Max to help with thw dress as far as i remember. Based on it i guess it wasn't the only time mikan would ask Max for assistance and it could get draining to constantly give to someone who is unappreciative of your efforts.

last time i've heard her mention max was when she was getting ready to go out bc she had to renew her passport (i think it was a younow live that was posted on youtube) and she said she will be going to max's house so that she can use max's sewing machine or something to put a button hole on the yellow blouse (i can't remember if it was a button hole or to fix something on the blouse) she made during summer break.

after that i haven't heard her talk or mention about max anymore even on her ig.

Posted

I agree that teasing your friends is completely normal and it's not always as deep as it might look to other people, however there is a certain line that is crossed sometimes and I think as someone has already stated before here, that when a joke is taken way too far you start to wonder if it's actually just a joke or if it is true 

Posted

The video with her friend was really hard to watch imo. The whole vibe was completely off. I mean, do these two girls really like each other? I know people who barely know each other who have better chemistry and are warmer and friendlier towards each other. The intro didn't sit well with me either. Yes, we understood, Piper was only able to come to Japan with Mikan's help. How often did she want to tell her viewers? Also Piper apparently can't do anything, sits home all day, is a loser and smells bad.

I like Mikan and her content, and I haven been quite supportive of her in this thread. But this video was just completely off for me.

Posted

Correct me if Im wrong but...

Mikan: Born Kurdish but claims to be Swedish, doesn't like the UK at ALL

Also Mikan: Bashes her friend online

when comments say: 'I think that's offensive to your friend etc. That's quite agressive'

Mikan be like: 'no, no that's British humor its only banter blah blah blah.../ my sarcasm she gets me I wasn't being meann hehe'

Does she use the British humor card when shes under attack from her follower? Yes. Yes she does... 

Posted

Correct me if Im wrong but...

Mikan: Born Kurdish but claims to be Swedish, doesn't like the UK at ALL

Also Mikan: Bashes her friend online

when comments say: 'I think that's offensive to your friend etc. That's quite agressive'

Mikan be like: 'no, no that's British humor its only banter blah blah blah.../ my sarcasm she gets me I wasn't being meann hehe'

Does she use the British humor card when shes under attack from her follower? Yes. Yes she does... 

Slightly off topic but on mobile. I actually noticed a lot of people of middle eastern descent online seem to constantly post about how much they hate the UK like Mikan. Even if they were born in the UK or lived there from a very young age they seem to always claim either their ethnic nationality (where their parents are from) or the nationality of the country they were only born in. 

I’m not from the UK, but I figured apart from Canada, the UK is the best English speaking country for people of this background. What’s with hating the UK for them/Mikan? It can’t be more racist than the US.

Posted

Slightly off topic but on mobile. I actually noticed a lot of people of middle eastern descent online seem to constantly post about how much they hate the UK like Mikan. Even if they were born in the UK or lived there from a very young age they seem to always claim either their ethnic nationality (where their parents are from) or the nationality of the country they were only born in. 

I’m not from the UK, but I figured apart from Canada, the UK is the best English speaking country for people of this background. What’s with hating the UK for them/Mikan? It can’t be more racist than the US.

because usually middle eastern people get treated like shit in the UK? Specially kids get bullied in school constantly with racist remarks

Posted

Bc it is lol middle easterns are treated like garbage here. Bullied in school, denied business at certian places for some racist reasons, racist remarks hurled at them and even their home being vandelized by racist youths who were encouraged and defended by their racist parents.

If you delt with that regularly, you'd hate it too.

Posted

Bc it is lol middle easterns are treated like garbage here. Bullied in school, denied business at certian places for some racist reasons, racist remarks hurled at them and even their home being vandelized by racist youths who were encouraged and defended by their racist parents.

If you delt with that regularly, you'd hate it too.

Wow, that’s terrible. I just hear that the UK has many more Middle Eastern people per city than the US, especially in London where the majority of British ME influencers (Like Mikan, I believe she is from the outskirts of London, right?) are from/live, so I figured they must be more accepting. London is actually WAY more diverse than NYC and LA so I hear, definitely more ME people in London than those US cities so that’s shocking. The US honestly isn’t much better though, especially outside NYC and LA. 

I hope Mikan didn’t experience anything too awful.

Posted (edited)

Wow, that’s terrible. I just hear that the UK has many more Middle Eastern people per city than the US, especially in London where the majority of British ME influencers (Like Mikan, I believe she is from the outskirts of London, right?) are from/live, so I figured they must be more accepting. London is actually WAY more diverse than NYC and LA so I hear, definitely more ME people in London than those US cities so that’s shocking. The US honestly isn’t much better though, especially outside NYC and LA. 

I hope Mikan didn’t experience anything too awful.

The difference between the two is their history: America is entirely a multicultural nation, every ethnicity apart from Native peoples are immigrants that have been incorporated into the American identity. They have been a melting pot of a nation for a few hundred years. Whereas the UK has always been a nation of British Isles peoples, any one outside of that is considered an immigrant regardless if they are British born and raised or if they have conformed to British culture or not. You're always made to feel like an outsider and people always expect any non-whites to be a stereotype of their race. For example, Mikan had a job in a taxi office before and someone gave out to her for eating pork for lunch. She isn't a muslim but because she is a brown Middle Eastern girl, they expected her to be muslim and even policed her dietary choices.

People regularly and casually make racist remarks at you without even noticing because racism is so internally ingrained in the UK and if you do take a stand against them, you're made to feel ashamed that you're not "confirming to Britishness" and their racially-aimed "British banter" - they expect you to subtly accept their remarks and laugh it off, to make a joke of yourself - because there, denouncing your browness is their idea of conforming. Whereas in America, people tend to not hesitate to stand against stereotypically racist remarks while still keeping your cultural identity and pride of belonging.

Edited by Caeleigh

Posted (edited)

The difference between the two is their history: America is entirely a multicultural nation, every ethnicity apart from Native peoples are immigrants that have been incorporated into the American identity. They have been a melting pot of a nation for a few hundred years. Whereas the UK has always been a nation of British Isles peoples, any one outside of that is considered an immigrant regardless if they are British born and raised or if they have conformed to British culture or not. You're always made to feel like an outsider and people always expect any non-whites to be a stereotype of their race. For example, Mikan had a job in a taxi office before and someone gave out to her for eating pork for lunch. She isn't a muslim but because she is a brown Middle Eastern girl, they expected her to be muslim and even policed her dietary choices.

People regularly and casually make racist remarks at you without even noticing because racism is so internally ingrained in the UK and if you do take a stand against them, you're made to feel ashamed that you're not "confirming to Britishness" and their racially-aimed "British banter" - they expect you to subtly accept their remarks and laugh it off, to make a joke of yourself - because there, denouncing your browness is their idea of conforming. Whereas in America, people tend to not hesitate to stand against stereotypically racist remarks while still keeping your cultural identity and pride of belonging.

Have you been to the US outside of NYC and LA though, especially outside of cities? It’s basically a no-go for ME people. There was an incident in North Carolina where two (Pakistani I think) Doctor students at a prestigious university were shot and killed point blank for supposedly taking a parking spot that belonged to a local redneck.

But I see what you’re saying. In the US a lot of brown people want to get out and live in Europe/UK/Canada because they feel those countries are less racist. I guess it’s a grass is greener thing? 

I just see a disproportionate amount of ME Brits online who trash the UK nonstop so I was wondering what was going on and if they are thinking the US is better since idk where else they would prefer to live.

Sorry I’ve gone off-topic but Mikan has mentioned hating the UK and this thread seems to be majority UK and I’m curious about ME Brit sentiment.

Edited by PastelPotions