• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

3021 posts in this topic

Posted

The new video reminded me so much of Ashley (bestdressed) recent video where she does kinda the same girly night talk oversharing info, talking about breakups and stuff (link in the spoiler section to not clutter the thread). Not stating Mikan copied her, just comparing both videos since they seem to be very similar.

One thing that rubs me off the wrong way is when someone reassures they're empathetic like she did in the beginning of the video. It might be true, but doesn't feel genuine for me if you're bragging about it in the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4mQQc2XUOk

Posted

That would make sense. I’ve never watched BestDressed but I’ve heard of her because Mikan says all the time that she’s her favorite YouTuber. I’m sure it’s a great video for their targeted audience but it’s not for me. 

Posted

I feel so bad for Mikan... I am sure she felt like she was used by such immature emotional vampire whose name is Venus... >_< Venus has to learn to stop taking people for granted.

Posted

I feel so bad for Mikan... I am sure she felt like she was used by such immature emotional vampire whose name is Venus... >_< Venus has to learn to stop taking people for granted.

Yeah I get the feeling that Venus pushes anybody away from her that would be a good influence. I think it must have also been hard for Mikan because whenever Venus would post something triggering Venus’ fans would attack Mikan for not checking on her. I think being friends with someone like that would be really stressful. Maybe that’s also what Mikan was referring to when she mentioned the toxic friend. 

Posted

But these are expensive

I thought she's struggling financially ??

Screenshot_20190924-222633.png

Screenshot_20190924-223454.png

Posted

mikan: I can't pay for my second year of fashion school I'm thinking of setting up a patreon 

also Mikan: *spends 100$ on unnecessary stuff at the dollar store just for the sake of it

Posted

mikan: I can't pay for my second year of fashion school I'm thinking of setting up a patreon 

also Mikan: *spends 100$ on unnecessary stuff at the dollar store just for the sake of it

to be fair it was only 50$, they split it in half. 

Posted (edited)

I don't want to look like I'm wk-ing her but this was a challenge she set up when that other girl was in Japan in June or July, and since the other girl had already bought the stuff while she was still in Tokyo I'm sure it would have been hard for Mikan to back out. Like yeah, that 5000 could have been put to better use, but it was already meant to be used for the collab months ago so it's just very unfortunate timing that she waited until right after talking about her financial issues to finally follow through with the challenge. 

ANYWAY thoughts in Mikan's newest video?

While I see where she's coming from and agree 100% that it's dumb to claim someone is trying to be a specific ethnicity just because they appreciate/enjoy/imitate certain cultural aspects that originate with that ethnicity, I also kind agree with this comment:

Screen_Shot_2019-09-25_at_7.24.55_AM.thu

She was just a little too evasive on admitting that she knows full well her style originated in Japan and is much more common there. To say Japanese women don't dress in that cutesy style is kind of disingenuous because the style in Japan right now--maybe not among fashion students but among the general public--is very cute and hyper-feminine. Her style is very common here (though perhaps not as over-the-top as what she wears). So she just seemed like she was making a lot of weird, unnecessary excuses when she could have just been like "yeah I got into this style through anime and online Harajuku fashion fandom, yeah I came to Japan because I was interested in it, yes it is a very Japanese style, but I like this style and think it suits me and so I enjoy wearing it but that doesn't mean I necessarily want to be Japanese just because I'm wearing a clothing style that originated in Japan." She just goes on way too many side tangents that were not needed at all, which muddled her point and made her seem kind of insecure in her conviction about what she was saying. This would have been much better done as a scripted video.

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 7.55.58 AM.png

Edited by chaisah
i hate how this post is formatted but idk how to fix it

Posted (edited)

But these are expensive

I thought she's struggling financially ??

Yea cereal in Japan is stupid expensive, I imagine the american ones will be worse 

Most i know just get whatever from iHerb

Edited by Athena

Posted

While I see where she's coming from and agree 100% that it's dumb to claim someone is trying to be a specific ethnicity just because they appreciate/enjoy/imitate certain cultural aspects that originate with that ethnicity, I also kind agree with this comment:

She was just a little too evasive on admitting that she knows full well her style originated in Japan and is much more common there. To say Japanese women don't dress in that cutesy style is kind of disingenuous because the style in Japan right now--maybe not among fashion students but among the general public--is very cute and hyper-feminine. Her style is very common here (though perhaps not as over-the-top as what she wears). 

I agree with you but also with mikan. The style she's wearing isn't really that common. Most people wear modest, oversized, minimalistic but still very feminine clothes. You can also see that in mikan's videos even in shibuya or Harajuku the people are dressed like that. However it's true that her style is heavily inspired by japanese/far eastern fashion. Probably all her clothes come from Asian stores.

I feel like most trends from Japan, even subcultures are already out of fashion when western people pick them up lol. 

I find it funny that she only addresses her fashion style tho, not her editing on pictures.

Posted (edited)

I agree with you but also with mikan. The style she's wearing isn't really that common. Most people wear modest, oversized, minimalistic but still very feminine clothes. You can also see that in mikan's videos even in shibuya or Harajuku the people are dressed like that. However it's true that her style is heavily inspired by japanese/far eastern fashion. Probably all her clothes come from Asian stores.

I feel like most trends from Japan, even subcultures are already out of fashion when western people pick them up lol. 

I find it funny that she only addresses her fashion style tho, not her editing on pictures.

The style she is currently into was definitely popular like.. five+ years ago when the “magical girl” anime was prevalent. So she is partially right on her comments about her fashion. 
However, what I really wish she would address is her blatant photo editing. She created her own ethnic erasure through her editing and then gets upset people comment things like “Are you trying to look Japanese?” 
Granted -she’s toned down the editing WAY more than before, and I can appreciate that. But if she could take the time to address past confusion -like her saying she’s Asian instead of Middle Eastern- then she can talk about her photo editing. 
On a side note, i have rather enjoyed her recent videos!

Edited by Cryptid
Spelling errors oops

Posted

The style she is currently into was definitely popular like.. five+ years ago when the “magical girl” anime was prevalent. So she is partially right on her comments about her fashion. 
However, what I really wish she would address is her blatant photo editing. She created her own ethnic erasure through her editing and then gets upset people comment things like “Are you trying to look Japanese?” 
Granted -she’s toned down the editing WAY more than before, and I can appreciate that. But if she could take the time to address past confusion -like her saying she’s Asian instead of Middle Eastern- then she can talk about her photo editing. 
On a side note, i have rather enjoyed her recent videos!

well she is from western asia so she is technically western asian but then again not much people use western asia since it's more common called middle east. anyways that video should have been her editing on pictures not her fashion style.

Posted

well she is from western asia so she is technically western asian but then again not much people use western asia since it's more common called middle east. anyways that video should have been her editing on pictures not her fashion style.

It's like when Kenna said she was West Asian. It is true but, her reasons for using that term rather than Middle Eastern were sort of transparent, so it may be the case here as well. (Though generally she's not as bad as Kenna, I think they both did the same thing with "Asian" rather than Middle Eastern. Though again they're both technically correct to say.)

Posted

I don't want to look like I'm wk-ing her but this was a challenge she set up when that other girl was in Japan in June or July, and since the other girl had already bought the stuff while she was still in Tokyo I'm sure it would have been hard for Mikan to back out. Like yeah, that 5000 could have been put to better use, but it was already meant to be used for the collab months ago so it's just very unfortunate timing that she waited until right after talking about her financial issues to finally follow through with the challenge. 

She was just a little too evasive on admitting that she knows full well her style originated in Japan and is much more common there. To say Japanese women don't dress in that cutesy style is kind of disingenuous because the style in Japan right now--maybe not among fashion students but among the general public--is very cute and hyper-feminine. Her style is very common here (though perhaps not as over-the-top as what she wears). So she just seemed like she was making a lot of weird, unnecessary excuses when she could have just been like "yeah I got into this style through anime and online Harajuku fashion fandom, yeah I came to Japan because I was interested in it, yes it is a very Japanese style, but I like this style and think it suits me and so I enjoy wearing it but that doesn't mean I necessarily want to be Japanese just because I'm wearing a clothing style that originated in Japan." She just goes on way too many side tangents that were not needed at all, which muddled her point and made her seem kind of insecure in her conviction about what she was saying. This would have been much better done as a scripted video.

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 7.55.58 AM.png

Agree with you and the comment. She was definitely evasive and making excuses. I also found it interesting that she got interested in Japanese style/"kawaii culture" through anime. Like you don't think there isn't even a teeny tiny little part of her teenage self that thought, "anime girls are really cute. Japanese girls are really cute. I wish I looked like a Japanese girl/was Japanese", at SOME point, especially given the fact that she can admit to wanting to be white at some point, even going so far as to lie that her name was Kim. It's likely she felt this way about Japanese girls too (not to say she currently wishes she were Japanese and not Kurdish as idk).

She also used to say she's Swedish, even when it was obvious people were interested in her ethnicity and not nationality, almost as if she were ashamed to be Kurdish and at most specified with, "asian". Now she openly states Kurdish/Middle eastern and that's good, but don't you guys think there was a little part of her that at some point wanted to be Japanese? This is fairly common with weeb foreigners, especially ones that are super invested into kawaii culture, enough that they actually move there. And copying Asian makeup trends and whitening her skin to look like those over-edited Japanese models doesn't help her case. The fact that she was triggered enough to make an extra video over the topic makes me think there's even more validity to those claims.  I think it's okay for her to admit that, if it was the case (and I really do think it was) because Mikan is basically the typical weeb hyper-obsessed with the kawaii portion of Japanese culture. I've seen some other foreigner Youtubers who don't fetishize the culture and are not weebs or into kawaii culture, over-editing themselves and they don't get these types of comments, to my knowledge. It's usually said so about weebish foreigners, which Mikan is. 

Also: about the Asian comment. As a Spanish person who lived in Britain, I can say that we definitely did not call Middle eastern people "Asian" (even if doing so is technically correct). I don't know what part she's from, but in my region, we always used middle eastern. I've only ever seen a handful of east Asians, and it was only with them we referred to them as Asian. But maybe it was different in her friend circle/region, idk. I do feel like a part of her relished the fact that she could call herself "Asian", like it was as close to Japanese as she could get. I think a part of her enjoyed the ambiguity of that, since she was fairly obsessed with Japan at that point. Mikan has lied a lot and minimized things in the past so I don't fully buy her explanation. Just my two cents.

Posted

I think it might have actually been Venus because previously some months, Venus "ran away" from home to have a sleepover at Mikan's and they shopped lingerie and stuff which she showed off to Manaki and he looked extremely uncomfortable coz I think she was trying to make him jealous. It was really bizzare but I don't think Venus was a good friend to Mikan and might have used her to tease and get at Manaki. 

Yes, it was this past July. Mikan posted about it on instagram:

749E4615-917C-4A58-9C67-BC81B8CAEA57.thu

Kind of bitchy of her to post something like this on instagram but at the same time it must have been frustrating to have Venus move in for a week and spend the whole time playing video games or whatever, just zoning out in front of a computer all day and not wanting to do anything else. Kind of like when when she does a livestream and spends most of the time just staring blankly at the screen.