• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

2333 posts in this topic

Posted

My point is –

She doesn‘t have to tell the world that she is struggling with her tuition fee. That‘s what makes it e-begging in my opinion. Just ask people without that info what they would like to see for patreon and so forth. Of course she can eat out with her friends, that‘s not my point. But, as some other pointed out already, constantly stating that you‘re poor but regularly uploading a story of you eating out ... That‘s what makes it suspicious and unreliable IMO.

Posted

My point is –

She doesn‘t have to tell the world that she is struggling with her tuition fee. That‘s what makes it e-begging in my opinion. Just ask people without that info what they would like to see for patreon and so forth. Of course she can eat out with her friends, that‘s not my point. But, as some other pointed out already, constantly stating that you‘re poor but regularly uploading a story of you eating out ... That‘s what makes it suspicious and unreliable IMO.

You can have a social life and still be struggling financially. Eating out in japan is cheap. 

I don’t really see a problem with her actions. So what if she went out on a limb for her education and wasn’t sure how she’d be able to pay it all? If she can’t pay it and has to go home to England, it will only affect herself. It’s not a crime to go for your dreams even if you don’t have everything carefully planned out beforehand, imo. So far she hasn’t been e-begging. There’s also nothing wrong with setting up a ko-fi; no one would be forcing her fans to donate. She clearly puts effort into YouTube, I don’t see blame her for trying to monetize it 

Posted (edited)

Trade schools (専門学校) which mikan is attending, are not public or private; they’re a whole separate category. The tuition fee is probably between 10,000 - 14,000 USD per year. (I also attend a trade school in Tokyo, but not for fashion)

She goes to Bunka Fashion College. Now, I'm not sure which specific course she is in, but you can look up the tuiton price ranges for Bunka.

From cheapest to dearest is ¥944,500 to ¥1,119,500, or in USD that is $8,722.46 to $10,338.58.

Edited by Caeleigh

Posted

She goes to Bunka Fashion College. Now, I'm not sure which specific course she is in, but you can look up the tuiton price ranges for Bunka.

From cheapest to dearest is ¥944,500 to ¥1,119,500, or in USD that is $8,722.46 to $10,338.58.

Whaaaaaat omg that's a lot! I study in France and I need about 8,722$ or even a little less to cover ALL my expenses for a whole year!

Posted

I don't know where people get the impression that Mikan is poor. Yes she's struggling with her tuition fee, but after all it's for a fashion school in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Most people would struggle to come up with that money by January, not just poor people. She's said herself that she has enough money for everything else in her life and it's obvious from her social media that she's living comfortably. You can still be sympathetic with Mikan without claiming that she's poor.

Btw, she already has a Ko-fi account, but I guess she forgot about it.

Posted

It started because she says it, usually in a jocular manner, like you see most students do. The objective definition would be making less than $20k USD annually, I think? Don’t know what her part time job pulls in but the YouTube channel is still only a trickle. 

I use the term poor perhaps too loosely, as I consider “living comfortably” having savings equivalent to 6 months of unexpected unemployment.

Posted

New video up: she talks about the breakup

Posted

At 18:44 she says:

"I had someone ask me about toxic friendships. I feel like tha- this is actually something I feel strongly about. I am someone who is very, very deeply empathetic, and what I mean by that is- it's almost like I can feel other people's emotions and so being around people who are toxic and maybe don't spread very good energy, it DRAINS me. It takes it out of me, I can't do it. I actually had a situation like this back in spring where I actually had to cut someone off - not completely like coldhearted -like "DON'T ever talk to me again!" but I really had to distance myself from someone because I realized that... the relationship was taking a lot from me and not giving me... anything? -nervous laugh- When you find yourself in a situation like that, you really, really have to put yourself first even if doesn't feel right, even if it feels like you're being selfish. Sometimes in life, you have to be selfish. You can't surround yourself by people who don't make you feel great, and I've always been a firm believer in that, I've always been someone who's very quick to distance myself from someone if I feel like they are toxic."

I made an account just to point out this part. It's clearly about Kenna/CozyKitsune. Bolding is mine for clues.

Hi PULL!

Posted

Look how she responded to the Ko-Fi suggestion—so fearful of the PULL reaction. She is a gossip and a self proclaimed drama queen. She likes following YouTuber dramas as much as anyone. Statements from the subject of a thread are full of their own biases and attempts at cultivating their image but I would still welcome it if she jumped in the ring again.

Tentatively throwing out the idea of starting a Patreon is not e-begging. Her stress was expressed mildly with a potential solution/brainstorming session. 

My friends don’t know that they’ll have every bit necessary for 2-4 years of tuition but they are still pursuing higher education. This excludes people who took out moronic loans or had total parental support, of course. I would never shame someone for leaping into trade school on faith. I will shame her if she takes out a loan for fashion school, but she said herself she’d prefer to pay it in full and not become another youth with student debt. If she figures out a side hustle that helps her avoid that horrific mistake, good on her.

Please. Everyone. Go eat some shaved ice and BBQ chicken with your friends. It’s okay. Poor people are allowed to spend money on eating at restaurants. They are allowed to emigrate to expensive cities. It doesn’t invalidate their stress about tuition payments or visa renewals. Immigrants are just out here trying to live their dreams, too. She didn’t say it was a life or death matter. She didn’t throw one of her signature tantrums. She didn’t start a crowdfunding page. It’s fine. 

Kind of disagree with your post. I find it crazy how you would shame someone for taking out loans from the government, but it's totally fine for them to take donations from other individual people (technically loans are covered by all tax payers tho, but it'd be paid back). Having to pay her loan back, gives her some responsibility in regards to her education, but getting free money thrown at her just continues to fuels her self-entitled mind-set (will never forget her facebook posts and never believe she just suddenly changed into this positive, empathetic, wonderful person after gaining popularity on YT). Also, she'll probably just get the money from her "abusive" human atm - aka: her mom. I remember she said she doesn't like to talk about her mom because "she's scared of getting cut off". She immediately threw her mom under the bus when her sex work was discovered and it shows you how she views others - as tools and means to an end. If her mom was abusive, why is she taking money from her currently, whilst publicly slandering her. How utterly contemptible. But I see that as a possibility if she's struggling with money.

Also, in regards to her latest video, I really disliked her comments on menstruation. She said women AREN'T meant to have periods every month, simply to normalize her voluntary and continuous BC use. I couldn't believe it. Women ARE meant to have periods EVERY month, UNLESS they are pregnant or in menopause. If neither of these apply, and they are not getting periods, then it is unhealthy and is called amenorrhea. I understand that some women resort to BC for heavy or long periods, and if Mikan did that, fine. But don't spread false information to your young and impressionable fans that missing periods is normal, just because you opted to stop taking the placebo pills and skip periods entirely because you simply don't like having them.

Her comments about how her BC should be covered by the gov't are also kinda self-entitled. Sucks to have long/heavy periods, but you can just take pain killers and suck it up like many of us. Continuous use of BC to make you skip periods entirely isn't actually a necessity. It's nice they can stop menstruation (though I question how healthy/safe that is long-term), but still, even basic pain killers aren't covered and we have to pay. Why should BC be any different? We pay for all our necessities like food, shelter etc too. And her comparison of "if a guys balls hurt and they needed something like BC" it'd be covered, which is BS. Men could just take monthly painkillers too. But given Mikan's face book posts, it is no surprise she expects free things. I actually stopped following her entirely, as she has become so fake and weaved one giant public facade (and a largely successful facade at that) since gaining some popularity. She just oozes fakeness. Her latest video had my eyes rolling, especially the last segment about girls.

Posted

Kind of disagree with your post. I find it crazy how you would shame someone for taking out loans from the government, but it's totally fine for them to take donations from other individual people (technically loans are covered by all tax payers tho, but it'd be paid back). Having to pay her loan back, gives her some responsibility in regards to her education, but getting free money thrown at her just continues to fuels her self-entitled mind-set (will never forget her facebook posts and never believe she just suddenly changed into this positive, empathetic, wonderful person after gaining popularity on YT). Also, she'll probably just get the money from her "abusive" human atm - aka: her mom. I remember she said she doesn't like to talk about her mom because "she's scared of getting cut off". She immediately threw her mom under the bus when her sex work was discovered and it shows you how she views others - as tools and means to an end. If her mom was abusive, why is she taking money from her currently, whilst publicly slandering her. How utterly contemptible. But I see that as a possibility if she's struggling with money.

It doesn’t sound like you saw the original posts by Mikan that we are discussing (besides the few selected and posted here by someone else; it was an incomplete assortment). I said I would shame her if she took out the loans that are available to her for fashion school, specifically. There are only limited ones available to immigrants, with bad interest rates. It sounds like a poor investment to me, but it’s her life. She certainly doesn’t need a student loan repayment plan to “teach her responsibility.” She’s been living alone in a country far from anyone she ever knew since she was 19, adulting pretty hardcore. 

I also never said anything about my opinion on her taking donations, so not sure where you got that. Just “lol wow PULL scared her off the Ko-Fi.” I said Patreon isn’t e-begging and that if she figures out a side hustle, more power to her. She was discussing additional content she could offer. 

We don’t know anything about the situation with her and her mom but regardless of what’s happening there, abusive parental relationships are way more complicated than you make them out to be. Yes, people do still see their abusers, or accept money from them, or vent about them and then contradict themselves. It’s complicated. It’s her mom.

I had no plans to watch the new video because it didn’t sound like my cup of tea. That menstruation discussion does sound bizarre but birth control is free where I live so I dunno. Works for us. 

Posted (edited)

@CrazyDaizy - your post is too long, so i wont quote you, the thread would be harder to read then but-

Most countries dont give loans/or give them as easily to foreigners/have ridiculous interest rate, and some of them dont have student loans (i know that mine doesnt). she did say financial aid from uk or sweden is not possible for her (dont know about this, so i would have to go by her words). if you actually offer something on patreon its not really "free" money, but yeah, she does realize there is not much to offer for her, i would not like her to pull sharla with her patreon.

can someone confirm about her calling her mom abusive? i only vaguely remember her saying they are not close, and she expected high lvl of independence from mikan and i cant be bothered to really check everything. (and im curious)

on new video - she said that about women in the past, not women now. quick google search didnt help me with that info much, except i think she misunderstood it, and they meant women rarely got periods due to poor lifestyles.

and honestly, that last paragraph - i can understand everyone that criticize her, she brought it on herself - but this just screams nitpicking. its self entitled to think certain medication should be covered by insurance? how evil and narcissistic omg. and why would someone suck it up when they can take meds that can fix their problems in long term and not short term? she was advised to do that by her doctor, and prescribed meds, not like she is taking them on her own accord (it does sound unhealthy to me to skip periods for a long time, but i know less than an average doctor). im very grateful that i dont have to pay for most of my meds, and wouldnt be mad if more of them were covered. its pretty normal way of thinking in most countries.

didnt want to watch the rest of the video, dont care, just had to check that period talk lol

Edited by Opheliac

Posted

How is that related to taxes and the government lmao if anything she will just be taking money from naive teenage girls who are most likely wasting their allowance or their paycheck from part time jobs in exchange for some shout outs or skype sessions. She isn't poor she has an actual job that pays for her living expenses so she can't apply to have ''free money'' from the government. Come back when you have licked enough boots for the day. 

Posted

Some of you guys bashing her just because, I agree with her statement on BC because I have a medicine condition that I need to have a regular(PCOS look it up) period. Some people need medicine due to illness. If she said that, it would have made more sense but where she got stupid was the misinformation she was shewing our to her minor fans.