• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

2162 posts in this topic

Posted

She’s already at 120k. I’m impressed that she transferred her former consistency with IG (posting every day for 2 years) to YouTube, posting every Saturday. It’s obviously paying off!

Posted

She seems like a very hardworking person whose juggling school, work, YouTube and relationships (plus Instagram I guess). While there may have been some accusations in the past she seems genuinely nice and sweet  these days. I’ve seen a lot of comments about how she’s “just a rich, spoiled skinny girl” but I don’t think that’s true at all. Just my opinion though 👌.

Posted

i really enjoyed her latest video! i found it really cute how she let her friends taste 'swedish' food and learning them a few words.

it's videos like these why i get reminded why she's pretty much the only j-vlogger i follow. there are so many people who go to japan to live their best weeaboo life, that it's a nice change of pace to see someone actually trying to make a stable living for themselves. in contrary to many j-vloggers, she actually goes to school, has a job and makes a serious effort to learn the language and be friends with the people from there. she could've easily gone the 'j-vlogger who only makes videos and lives off youtube profits' route but she doesn't and actually tries to contribute to the society that she lives in. i really respect that about her.

Posted

I know a lot of us were wondering months ago if she actually knew how to speak Japanese and her most recent videos have shown her fluency. It's not bad! I'm actually surprised because having video of herself speaking Japanese came almost out of nowhere.

Posted

Anyone knows what she is working as? Curious

Posted

She explains it in one of her videos, I believe. She works for a company that does English tutoring. For a period of time she was one of their tutors, but once she told her boss she is also a YouTuber, the boss asked her to take over a new project — filming tutoring videos for the company. Just a part time gig. She understandably doesn’t provide more details than that. 

Posted

Not to burst Mikan's bubble or something but the only reason her Japanese improved is because she is surrounded by Japanese...Basically to survive she had & has to put in the work,,its not a choice, (her mothers paying for her fashion college n if she blows that what will u expect?...)she also has a Japanese bf so impressing his family (and also supporting her uni life) is also a reason, when its two different cultures, languages could become a heavy barrier. Daily interaction is key to pick up on key words/phrases and if not people there is always watching native T.V, reading mags etc. 

With the Japanese friends she made, most J-vloggers go to Japan on a working holiday visa and don't/ didn't get the opportunity to enrol into a Japanese vocational school, (MikaeraDesu/ Ciaela is a native Canadian Utuber who went to a Japanese music school ) other than a language school even if they do they would be aged older maybe older 20s so it could be hard to fit in/ make friends with younger people, and a typical language school you also get alot of gaijin so not much Japanese interaction. I guess in a way Japanese work relations are very different to Japanese College/uni life since there is more freedom for Japanese uni students, there is more social time since on some days u have uni whilst on others ur off. I don't think Mikan is the only one to include Japanese friends or classmates in her vids (AbroadInJapan for example), some Japanese tend to be camera shy or private hence even if some gaijin j-vloggers have Japanese friend they maybe hesitate. Mikan for one wasn't happy in the UK so I guess now that shes in Japan and doesn't know for how long she wants to make the most of it that n she can explore her fashion more since Japan is open to various styles and the shops there have access to various fashions unlike UK brands. 

Also even tho she works part time, she still does sponsors for example the K-pop Idol Fashion video. Mikan still needs money, even if it is a good paying job or someday full-time she still ganna need more additional money from sponsors.It may look like rainbow or stars now but who knows in a couple of weeks, months or a year. What we see on utube is her 'alter personality'. 

Posted

lolwut

Posted

Didn't she enroll in a Japanese-speaking college specifically to surround herself with the language more so she can become fluent? I think she had to get to a certain language proficiency to even think about going there. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, she lives in Japan and plans on staying there so of course she has Japanese friends around her. J-Vloggers who don't put in that kind of effort are the ones who aren't planning on potentially living in Japan forever.

Not to burst Mikan's bubble or something but the only reason her Japanese improved is because she is surrounded by Japanese...

Posted

Sorry but it looks like the rest of PULL has become too soft lately...or maybe biased 

Posted

the idea that mikan was somehow more privileged than others in japan because she was there on a student visa rather than a working holiday visa is just ???? to me because a working holiday visa allows you to be in japan doing literally anything OR nothing. They have the option of getting a job working with Japanese people or practicing the Japanese language, or even enrolling in Japanese classes (some of which are free and provided by community centers—you do NOT have to be on a student visa or enrolled in a school to take Japanese classes), or spending all day making friends with Japanese nationals and doing language exchange opportunities or sitting in a cafe or at home self-studying for a couple hours every day. 

idk i just don’t understand how it’s a more privileged position to be in japan specifically to study/work than to be in japan to do literally whatever the hell you want. If you’re here for 5+ years and your Japanese is still crap because you’ve nested yourself in a perfect gaijin bubble, it’s kinda your own fault.