• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

3059 posts in this topic

Posted

I didn’t find her comment about being broke and tired irritating. It was in passing as she talked more extensively about how she has everything she could ever want in life and is exceedingly grateful and happy. We all have different definitions of being broke. You can say “I’m broke and tired” being a working student who spent your money on things that may or may not have been ideal budgeting decisions. She didn’t ask for a handout or try to sell an overpriced shout out. She didn’t equate her condition to anyone in actual suffering. It was a “holy shit I may be exhausted and penniless but I love my life” exclamation.

I would agree with that if that was a random comment but it was not. She complain about it in sooo many posts,videos,comments,etc etc.

Posted

Of course all of us can complain about struggling from time to time. But I have never seen a person that complains SOO much about it. Before, I actually trust her when she repeatedly claimed she was having problems with money, and I thought she was just a whiny person and that's all (or to give an excuse to all that expensive shout outs and the begging her fans for money through PayPal). But now that her situation has OBVIOUSLY improved she continues whining about it the same if not more. That's what annoy me. It just seems so fake and forced. Why does she have to remind us about her "horrible" financial situation aaall the time?

Anyway it was not my intention to start a debate of what "broke" means to each of us. I just can see a lot of people agree with my first post about this, but yeah some of you didn't mind her complains and that's ok too. But for me and the majority of people to have everything she has it's a privilege.

Posted

Is it just me having really low standards for J vloggers or is her Japanese actually getting pretty good? I know it's just casual conversation but she also seems to be getting on fine going to fashion school in Japanese. Although tbh this is the level we should expect from people living in Japan for more than a year. 

Posted

Is it just me having really low standards for J vloggers or is her Japanese actually getting pretty good? I know it's just casual conversation but she also seems to be getting on fine going to fashion school in Japanese. Although tbh this is the level we should expect from people living in Japan for more than a year. 

I also think it's pretty good. I honestly think the one thing she hasn't lied about is her Japanese level. I've taken accelerated courses similar to hers and the pace of the homework and assignments she posted were spot on. And while the N2 isn't indicative of speaking ability she has Hirokazu and his family along with just constantly being surrounded by Japanese speech. 

Posted

Her japanese is good but god hearing her constantly refer to herself in the third person.... she's one of THOSE girls.. lol

Posted

Compared to other j vloggers, I kinda like her videos? Idk, maybe I have a soft spot for Mikan and feel she matured more compared to other snowflakes. even when I'm not really into the topic (like the last one, dressing like kpop idols) I find myself putting the video as white noise when I'm doing something else

Posted

Eh ngl, I kind of like Mikan too. At first I took her to be just another thin pretty foreigner who went to Japan to be scouted and do some half-ass modeling while making mediocre fake-happy videos about how GREAT!!!! Japan ('s foreigner bubble) is but not really contributing toward or acclimating to the society at all. (AKA most jvloggers these days.) But over time my feelings toward her have softened a lot. She feels pretty authentic in her videos and generally seems pretty willing to admit when she fucks up or makes a mistake or doesn't know something. While it does seem like she extended her time in Japanese school as long as possible just to not have to leave Japan, it's worked out in her favor and she can interact with Japanese people really well. (I mean, she actually has Japanese friends; it's pitiful how rare that seems among expats.) She's also willing to work to support herself, which feels kind of rare with youtubers of her status.

I don't really LOVE her but I do like her enough to stay subscribed even though I don't really care about Japanese fashion. 

Posted

Her japanese is good but god hearing her constantly refer to herself in the third person.... she's one of THOSE girls.. lol

Yes omg I had a double take when I heard her like Bina this Bina that...like you can chose from so many ways to say I in Japanese and you chose that...you do you girl... 

Posted

This is the absolute beginner dialogue you will find in all starter books so...  yes, your standards are low. :D

Posted

Yes omg I had a double take when I heard her like Bina this Bina that...like you can chose from so many ways to say I in Japanese and you chose that...you do you girl... 

actually, when i talked to some of my japanese friends they referred to themselves in 3rd person a lot! i thought it was really strange too but i think its common for young girls in japan. she's probably doing it to fit in!

Posted (edited)

I personally enjoy Mikan's content too! She is by far way more mature and gives real advice and life about Japan. Not just fluffy boring content... she is just a good influencer and a realistic one at that who doesn't try and show only highlights in life... Idk where I'm going with this it is late but yeah.

GENUINELY GOOD INFLUENCER

we need more mature people like her. i've taken some of her recommendations and words and it is a genuinely good influence. :alpacaheadshake:

Edited by Lush Moonlight
i realized ive already basically posted this exact post lol

Posted

actually show the REAL Japan then just leave it to the stereotypical kawaii culture and beige cafes.

..*cough* Kenna *cough*

I'm going back through the thread and this is hilarious "beige cafes" tumblr_lkl6v58ydT1qfamg6.giftumblr_lkl6v58ydT1qfamg6.giftumblr_lkl6v58ydT1qfamg6.gif

Posted

Just noticed she finally hit 100k subscribers on YT. Her "dressing up like kpop idols" video really gave her the boost. 

20190726_205854.thumb.jpg.ae49b931bfdda5