• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

mikan.mandarin

1856 posts in this topic

Posted

Even after the surgery she didnt get a standard "pretty nose". Sying she wanted to erase her Kurdish features sounds like a stretch to me, her nose now just balances more with her face but still has character.

Posted (edited)

God, her Kurdish features were just...amazing. She had the cute exotic appeal and made her stand out. 

Edited by pakuchi

Posted

Even after the surgery she didnt get a standard "pretty nose". Sying she wanted to erase her Kurdish features sounds like a stretch to me, her nose now just balances more with her face but still has character.

I believe she's stated (on here?? I have to dig) that she isn't happy with her nose job. I think she'd probably be happier with her nose job if it still didn't look so Middle Eastern. 

Posted

I believe she's stated (on here?? I have to dig) that she isn't happy with her nose job. I think she'd probably be happier with her nose job if it still didn't look so Middle Eastern. 

She mentioned it on page 89.

Screenshot_20190603-062437_Chrome.jpg

Posted

as someone who had a similar nose job to her because I also had a very large and long nose with a bump before, I don't think she was trying to erase any part of her ethnic identity with that. I have no problem with my background, but my nose bothered me because I felt it didn't fit with the rest of my face because like Mikan I also have really delicate features so my nose just stuck out a lot.

Posted

How could a nose job ever be “erasing ethnic identity” lol? She had a big nose and was insecure about it so she changed it. Nothing to be ashamed of imo, especially since she’s open and honest about it. 

Posted

How could a nose job ever be “erasing ethnic identity” lol? She had a big nose and was insecure about it so she changed it. Nothing to be ashamed of imo, especially since she’s open and honest about it. 

I think what that person meant was that because of how glorified western, and just frankly white, features are that many women of other ethnicities can feel pressured and insecure if they don't look like that because they've been made to feel inferior in many senses including looks. So in a way they could be changing a feature thats more unique to their racial background to "fit in" bc they're so used to seeing the models and such plastered everywhere without them. Thats why representation in the media is so important so that young women can see people who look like them and dont feel like they're different or have to change to look like someone else. 

Posted

The suggestion made about putting timestamps on her videos is an excellent one. I find her videos funny and helpful but like any video I sometimes lose interest and want to skip around easily.  I appreciate that she generally keeps to her schedules.

Most of the shit that I found annoying about her and that brought me to her thread in the first place really isn’t relevant anymore. Whether she’s fake/manipulative or not, she absorbed the critiques from PULL multiple times and made changes to her online presence. I’m not going to spend time saying, “This annoying bitch needs to change,” then when she does change, worry myself over whether or not she only fake changed due to our criticisms. IDGAF about the editing or the nose job. I’ll be the first one over here when she’s back on her bullshit, though. 

Posted (edited)

I think what that person meant was that because of how glorified western, and just frankly white, features are that many women of other ethnicities can feel pressured and insecure if they don't look like that because they've been made to feel inferior in many senses including looks. So in a way they could be changing a feature thats more unique to their racial background to "fit in" bc they're so used to seeing the models and such plastered everywhere without them. Thats why representation in the media is so important so that young women can see people who look like them and dont feel like they're different or have to change to look like someone else. 

Kinda OT but it sucks because even when there is representation in the media, they often still choose actresses who fit that very western very anglo saxon mold of beauty (ie tiny nose). Literally the only famous person I've ever seen with a nose similar to what mine looked like is barbra streisand...and she's not even an actress lmao 

Edited by fruitistarr

Posted

I find her so much prettier when she doesn't edit her photos. Her features is what makes her unique and I reckon she looks cuter than when she edits the hell out of everything. 

Screenshot_20190607-115952_Instagram.jpg

Posted

I guess people are more accepting of mikan editing her pics because she actually admits it ALL the time, not like Kenna for example who keeps trying to convince people her eyes are that big etc. 

Posted (edited)

Anyone watch her new video “Dos and don’ts in Japan”? I like the creativity of her filming it in a bunch of different locations, and as usual her camera quality is beautiful. But does anyone think a lot of her videos are about topics that are sooo overdone?? Maybe because I live in japan so these things are commonplace to me, but I swear EVERY japan-based youtuber has made the exact same video and listed off nearly identical points. I hope she focuses on more unique content instead of the same rehashed “5 things visitors should know about Japan!” type videos. Her situation as a fashion student is pretty interesting imo, i would love to watch videos about that. 

Edited by Granola

Posted

I thought her approach was refreshing. Following her around during her day is a lot more interesting than youtubers who just sit down and recite a list in front of the camera. But I personally think mikan is above average as a jvlogger.

Posted

Anyone watch her new video “Dos and don’ts in Japan”? I like the creativity of her filming it in a bunch of different locations, and as usual her camera quality is beautiful. But does anyone think a lot of her videos are about topics that are sooo overdone?? Maybe because I live in japan so these things are commonplace to me, but I swear EVERY japan-based youtuber has made the exact same video and listed off nearly identical points. I hope she focuses on more unique content instead of the same rehashed “5 things visitors should know about Japan!” type videos. Her situation as a fashion student is pretty interesting imo, i would love to watch videos about that. 

When you live in Japan as a non-Japanese, there's a lot of times where you're embarrassed by the behavior of other foreign people around you because you know that subtly people may believe you are associated with that group of people or that foreign people are just incapable of behaving themselves. She probably experiences this too and wants to put it out there to do her part to reduce the incidents.

Posted

I might be wrong but she mentioned a few uploads back that she filmed a lot o videos before her fashion college started so she could keep updating her channel even tho she would be busy with school

Maybe that’s why she’s uploading general topics. But I still liked her approach walking instead of just listing stuff. I just hope she starts to share more about her college and fashion stuff, like, things that are unique to her experience in Japan or other topics we haven’t seen other jvloggers share