• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

Shane Dawson

2734 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm glad to see not everyone is defending Shane, Molly Burke has stayed silent but I guess she stays out of drama anyway? I'd like to think she doesn't condone his actions and no longer wants to make an accessible make up line with Jefree. I used to be a hardcore fan of hers, but now I see she can make mistakes and not aware of her privellage at times. I still like her though. Hopefully she no longer supports them. I think she'd love Tati's palette though.

Posted

I'm glad to see not everyone is defending Shane, Molly Burke has stayed silent but I guess she stays out of drama anyway? I'd like to think she doesn't condone his actions and no longer wants to make an accessible make up line with Jefree. I used to be a hardcore fan of hers, but now I see she can make mistakes and not aware of her privellage at times. I still like her though. Hopefully she no longer supports them. I think she'd love Tati's palette though.

I think blind YouTubers in general don't use too much of YouTube incidentally because most videos aren't formatted for the visually impaired. But if she's anything like Tommy Edison, she'd probably not enjoy that he has a very ridiculous blind character in his movie Not Cool, played by his now ex-gf. Her character rubs everyone's faces aggressively and swings her cane aimlessly. Tommy recently talked about negative connotations with blindness and idioms, as well as movie portrayals of blind folk.

Posted

Have you all heard that audio that's been going around about him talking about the 6 year old cheerleader girl? oof...

Posted

I think blind YouTubers in general don't use too much of YouTube incidentally because most videos aren't formatted for the visually impaired. But if she's anything like Tommy Edison, she'd probably not enjoy that he has a very ridiculous blind character in his movie Not Cool, played by his now ex-gf. Her character rubs everyone's faces aggressively and swings her cane aimlessly. Tommy recently talked about negative connotations with blindness and idioms, as well as movie portrayals of blind folk.

I think she does watch YouTube quite a bit, but probably stays out of drama. I'm VI myself anf had no odea shane had a character like that in his film! I need to check Tommy's video on that! I know Molly did videos with Shane back in 2018, where she showed him how to use a cane and navigate as a person with sight loss. Maybe she didn't know about the character? At least I hope so, since a lot of VI people look up to her. 

Posted

Can't quote but can some of you please PLEASE stop saying shanes humor and everything else was more or less socially acceptable back then? It definitely wasn't, the internet didn't have channels dedicated to calling you out or cancling you like it does now, nor is it more sophisticated at getting a hoard of people who collectively disagree with that type of content to rally against you but that does not mean it was accepted. He got plenty of comments on videos calling him out, his movie got no end of criticism from fans and critics alike for just being too much and crossing too many lines.

The reason he got famous off of it was bc it attracted people who act like him or actually find it funny, a whole cult of them who drowned out the criticism he got. I will never understand that false narrative that only a few years ago it was socially acceptable to be openly racist and predatory.

Posted

there are even multiple videos of him and children, how he sexualizes them and etc., but the one with the cheerleader girl really made me puke. How can he say a 6 y.o girl is sexy? so disguisting, really. He also pretended to m*sturb*te in front of a poster with an 11 y.o, joke about rape, multiple cases of racism...

Posted

i dont think i watch shane dawson or know of his existent until 2016/17ish? so these couple of weeks got me balding with all the old videos of him that came out.

i love how people still try to pass his shits off as shock humor when i'm pretty sure child exploitation, in a sexual manner none the less, is a fucking federal crime.

"it's his cousin, her parents ok with the things he made her do" funny, still a crime.

"it's a public chats with multiple people" one where he's the only legal adult there? hilarious, still a fucking crime tho.

"that's just the humor among his fans" which are mostly minors at the time? comical. you still know what it is right?

i'm usually one to think if the intention is a joke i'll pass it off as a joke no matter how unfunny or disgusting they are, but it ain't a fucking joke when literal minor is present. if you wanna keep your fucked up shitty pedo jokes in the comfort of your own friends circle then go ahead, but don't fucking dare to involve actual living breathing children into it.

Posted

Can't quote but can some of you please PLEASE stop saying shanes humor and everything else was more or less socially acceptable back then? It definitely wasn't, the internet didn't have channels dedicated to calling you out or cancling you like it does now, nor is it more sophisticated at getting a hoard of people who collectively disagree with that type of content to rally against you but that does not mean it was accepted. He got plenty of comments on videos calling him out, his movie got no end of criticism from fans and critics alike for just being too much and crossing too many lines.

The reason he got famous off of it was bc it attracted people who act like him or actually find it funny, a whole cult of them who drowned out the criticism he got. I will never understand that false narrative that only a few years ago it was socially acceptable to be openly racist and predatory.

thank you for this. i’m so tired of people saying times were different back then and this type of humor was acceptable, it was not. 

shane was called out numerous times. this is evident from all the criticism his movie received. he was warned against making the film but he dismissed the warnings. and when it was released, the reviews described how awful it was, which he also dismissed. that means he was fully aware how offensive he was and he 100% knew it was not acceptable, he just continued doing it because he did not care how his actions affected others. this was in 2015 btw, so that bullshit “it was a long time ago, humor was different” excuse is not even applicable here. 

there’s also a clip of his podcast going around where he describes, in gruesome detail, how he would torture, dismember and murder a woman who always called him out on his racism and offensive behavior. this was in 2016. let that be an example as to how this man responded to the people that called him out

even if this was acceptable in 2011 (it wasn’t) it definitely was not acceptable in 2015-16, but he continued his offensive behavior despite being called out. this shows his environment and the internet culture was not the reason for his behavior, it was him. all him. this is just who he is.

Posted

A lot of people who claim that "Oh this was such a long time ago, things were different back then!" seem to be under the impression that most of these videos and audio clips are from around a decade ago, and a lot of them are from the mid 2010s. Like, I get that most of Shane's current fans hadn't even started middle school in 2012, but Shane was a grown ass man who openly admit his comedy was shocking and offensive at the time. That was his whole brand. You can see and hear him say shit like "Oh I can't say something that racist on your channel" when in other people's videos, so him and the people around him were all fully aware of Shane's reputation for racist and sexual "humor".

Saying shit in the vein of "oh but nobody cared back then, why do they suddenly care now?" is undermining and downplaying the abuse people like Chescaleigh went through for criticizing Shane for his blatant racism.

Posted

A lot of people who claim that "Oh this was such a long time ago, things were different back then!" seem to be under the impression that most of these videos and audio clips are from around a decade ago, and a lot of them are from the mid 2010s. Like, I get that most of Shane's current fans hadn't even started middle school in 2012, but Shane was a grown ass man who openly admit his comedy was shocking and offensive at the time. That was his whole brand. You can see and hear him say shit like "Oh I can't say something that racist on your channel" when in other people's videos, so him and the people around him were all fully aware of Shane's reputation for racist and sexual "humor".

Saying shit in the vein of "oh but nobody cared back then, why do they suddenly care now?" is undermining and downplaying the abuse people like Chescaleigh went through for criticizing Shane for his blatant racism.

Even in the early 2000s it wasn't acceptable. If it were, you would've seen comedy like his all over television and mainstream media. Was their shock humor? Oh yes, but the humor was exactly that: Humor. It was more so funny than it was shocking. I don't know about back when he started but i knew big icons like him and jeffree were definitely called out, they dismissed it and their fans (mostly teenage girls) were extremely defensive of the both of them. Even back then, it was seen as too much.

Posted

What part of Jeffree and Shane does he even like? As if they're not both shitty people

Screenshot_20200702-120641.thumb.jpg.652

literally what is there to like, their whole personality is "i was poor but look how i've made it" while screaming the n word like their lives depend on it

Posted

I feel that there is a misunderstanding that some people on here think others are saying that it was okay for Shane to do those things because of the period of time. I think most decent people can agree on the fact that racism is never ok regardless!

In fact its really really sensitive to me also. I guess it depends where we grew up. I honestly don't know about America but people got away with very nasty stereotypical humor that was broadcasted in British TV growing up and it in the wake of BLM and stuff now there are shone in the light and people are getting called out on past actions from 10 years ago and many celebrities have been exposing themselves apologizing for shit they did. Why not back then?? Why is it only now that these horrible things are called to light. I know for example Little Britain was only just pulled out from the mainstream TV recently because of blackface and this shit had been on national TV for years. Just an example.

Anyway last time I will comment about this because its OT.

Posted (edited)

Karma, she a quick one 👀

Screenshot_20200702-085656.png

Edited by beansprout
forgot a word

Posted

Yeah as someone who is just a few years younger than Shane...it was slightly different but not THAT different. I watched early Shane (like pre-shanaynay) and though I was not as socially aware as I am today, my 2edgy fucking ass knew that blackface isn't okay and felt deeply uncomfortable with the racist jokes. That's why I ended up unsubscribing pretty quickly. There's a reason he deleted shaneTV. Most of his shit was like that. I cringe when Facebook reminds me of some of the shit I posted on the internet back then (r-word? Really sugi? You have a disability and you're using the r-word?), but it was NOTHING like this blackface neonazi pedo shit he's got going on. 

Posted

I don't want the news about his being taken to the hospital be true but it is hard to feel bad for him. Everything that's happening is his own fault.

Youtube demonitising his channels is good if it's true but I feel like it might be like one of the Paul brothers case and it's only temporary. Youtube only cares when normal media gets involved and their website starts looking bad otherwise they're happy to keep everyone on. There's so many openly disgusting people on there lol  Shane needs to get off internet for good. Forever. He should not have a platform. Honestly after so many years of being problematic and so many lies it doesn't even matter if he learns from his mistakes imo. He just needs to disappear from the internet.