• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Shane Dawson

1968 posts in this topic

Posted

This isn't the first time Shane has thrown together footage to summarize things everyone knows of by the time the video is done editing as a first installment, but seriously, even if his fans lived under a rock, this entire video could have been condensed into a good 20 minutes MAXIMUM. It makes the first episodes of his last few docuseries always complete wastes of time since it's always shit anyone with a drama channel can sum up for you in 10 minutes. But of course we have to stretch all this footage as much as possible for that sweet ad revenue, don't we?

This might seem obvious but I can't really take a docuseries he makes seriously if he continuously starts it off with vlog-style footage that is at best suitable for a "behind-the-scenes" or bonus footage after everything is posted. It is youtube, but he edits it to mimic documentaries one sees on television, right? So the vloggy parts should be kept to a minimum in order to get the most out of the person of interest.

Also, those 5 minutes of additional teaser footage at the start of the vid for stuff that happens in later episodes literally could have been stuck into the trailer. It sounds like episode 2 will be more interesting, but I don't have very high expectations because Shane is very good at making the trailers more attention-grabbing than the actual episodes themselves... which leads to me being frustrated at him making me waste a whole hour only to find out it's literally just a vlog.

Posted

Also, Shane just isn't a good director (just look at his old scripted stuff, it's insanely bad in every aspect) and 90% of the visuals for his videos nowadays is Andrew's annoying and noisy camera work (Wow! A zoom in on Shane making a silly/shocked/serious face and Andrew gasping/giggling in the background? Cinematography of the year). Like if you ignore the content of his videos, and focus on the editing and other technical aspects, it's barely above your typical high energy vlog in quality. Throwing in some stock footage and dramatic stings doesn't good editing make, and I cannot fathom that Shane claims to spend soooooooo much time working on it you guyzzzz!!! because it does not show. At fucking all.

This is all I could think about while I watched the new video because its so true. This new video could have been 20 minutes tops tbh. Personally it just was not interesting and Jeffree even said to Shane he didnt think people would want to see it but I guess its whatever since theyre getting the expected views. 

Posted (edited)

Shane isnt a regular millionair guys! Just making a few million and has only 1 million dollar mansion and not several. He is so poor :(((( 

#NotLikeOtherMillionaires uwu 

I know it’s been discussed before that he gives a lot of his money to his mom (and friends? Don’t know if that was confirmed?), then there is also the amount of cash big YTers have to pay out for security but I’m pretty damn sure he doesn’t end up with only nickels and dimes left

Edited by boopa

Posted

Shane isnt a regular millionair guys! Just making a few million and has only 1 million dollar mansion and not several. He is so poor :(((( 

Actual poor people everytime Shane claims to be poor:

hqdefault.thumb.jpg.1894bcddc745733fb0dd

Posted

I like Shane and was excited for the video but this episode was SO BORING! Like there was no substance to it at all it was just cuts of him and Andrew walking or cuts of him sitting and thinking nothing actually happened. I really hope the rest of the series isn’t so light and full of filler content because this first episode was a let down for me. 

Posted

I've been lurking this thread for a while and imo his channel along with this thread should've been long dead. What a fake, ignorant and annoying guy. I won't even bother watching his new "documentary", he's so boring.

Posted

I actaully liked it :haiplz:. I know Jeffree is this and that and Shane has some flaws too, but I am really curious about this whole thing. 

Posted

I get extremely annoyed by how he keeps saying how poor he is and how other people make more money than him.

Honey, you live in a fricking mansion and you transport yourself by golf cart on your own property. The I am Poor ship has long since sailed.

Posted

Shane uploads 2 vlogs a year, makes millions of dollars from them, and somehow expects us to feel bad that he's not on the Forbes List...?

Posted

I get extremely annoyed by how he keeps saying how poor he is and how other people make more money than him.

Honey, you live in a fricking mansion and you transport yourself by golf cart on your own property. The I am Poor ship has long since sailed.

It's so annoying how he does that, but it also got me thinking about how he's seen a lot of the real shit really rich ppl have? I feel like he's calling himself poor in comparison to ppl like Jeffree, since Jeffree does have way more money and own waaaay more fancy stuff. But Shane sounds like he's just blind to what he has, just because he sees more wealthy ppl... I can kinda understand where he's coming from, since he grew up from a "poor" family as he said. Even tho your financial status improves, most times it might still not feel like you're there at that particular level, you sort of obsess over it. Regardless of that, Shane needs to take a step back and appreciate what he has instead of calling on a pity party for himself every damn time. People are dying, Shane...

Posted

It's so annoying how he does that, but it also got me thinking about how he's seen a lot of the real shit really rich ppl have? I feel like he's calling himself poor in comparison to ppl like Jeffree, since Jeffree does have way more money and own waaaay more fancy stuff. But Shane sounds like he's just blind to what he has, just because he sees more wealthy ppl... I can kinda understand where he's coming from, since he grew up from a "poor" family as he said. Even tho your financial status improves, most times it might still not feel like you're there at that particular level, you sort of obsess over it. Regardless of that, Shane needs to take a step back and appreciate what he has instead of calling on a pity party for himself every damn time. People are dying, Shane...

I don't think that's the case, it's just his "humor". He always goes "omg me haha" at everything and self-deprecates all the time and it all just falls flat 'cause it's nothing interesting. I don't mind that type of humor if it's used sparingly and in a better context. Shane obviously doesn't know how to come up with witty remarks or make actual funny jokes that don't revolve around him.

Posted

This isn't the first time Shane has thrown together footage to summarize things everyone knows of by the time the video is done editing as a first installment, but seriously, even if his fans lived under a rock, this entire video could have been condensed into a good 20 minutes MAXIMUM. It makes the first episodes of his last few docuseries always complete wastes of time since it's always shit anyone with a drama channel can sum up for you in 10 minutes. But of course we have to stretch all this footage as much as possible for that sweet ad revenue, don't we?

This might seem obvious but I can't really take a docuseries he makes seriously if he continuously starts it off with vlog-style footage that is at best suitable for a "behind-the-scenes" or bonus footage after everything is posted. It is youtube, but he edits it to mimic documentaries one sees on television, right? So the vloggy parts should be kept to a minimum in order to get the most out of the person of interest.

Also, those 5 minutes of additional teaser footage at the start of the vid for stuff that happens in later episodes literally could have been stuck into the trailer. It sounds like episode 2 will be more interesting, but I don't have very high expectations because Shane is very good at making the trailers more attention-grabbing than the actual episodes themselves... which leads to me being frustrated at him making me waste a whole hour only to find out it's literally just a vlog.

I hate how he does that whole thing where he also adds in a vlog of some kind of what happened during the BEFORE of what his series is actually about. His viewers sit through over 30 minutes of him doing nothing but self-pity, talk about how the idea for the series/videos started, then he also throws in clips from other and/or past videos. And then we also have Andrew constantly laughing loudly and whispering in the background... How is that a proper camera man? When he first started doing those it seemed cute, like sure okay he and Shane are getting along well. Now it's just annoying. The way Shane's videos are these days, it's like he's trying way too hard to seem genuine.

G_003.JPG

Posted

The stupid thing is that shane has so much more opportunity than most people, hell even youtubers. He’s been popular since the beginning of youtube, he has an extremely dedicated fan base, and he generally makes content that people like to watch. But shane doesn’t use any of this. Shane is rich, but if he’s so poor then he’s dumb because if he made more videos he’d be even richer than he is right now. A poor person wouldn’t say no to an opportunity to easily get a million dollars. I don’t even agree that he’s like this because he grew up poor, I grew up poor and now that I live with remarried parents and have a minimum wage job that isn’t even enough to live on I don’t feel poor. I’m not poor anymore but I don’t have any where near the amount of money that shane has. If he wants to feel richer then he should ditch his spoiled fiance 

Posted (edited)

i have some thots about the episode:

- first of all why did shane make such a big deal about flying *on a private jet*.. he was being so over dramatic about it, saying goodbye to ryland and all as if he's getting enlisted in the army lmao

- his whole speech about how he's not rich and isn't on the forbes list,,,, just because he's not next to logan paul or lilly singh doesn't mean he's not making bank and everyone knows it. that episode was uploaded less than 24hrs ago and it already has millions of views, his ad revenue is insane. 

- the editing is so tacky, especially with all that music added. other people already said that it looks more like a vlog than a "documentary". does anyone know if andrew has some sort of filming background? if he does, shouldnt he be telling shane these things??

Edited by moonlight42
i made so many silly typos lmao