• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Shane Dawson

2033 posts in this topic

Posted

(wow jeffree looks hella old without makeup lol)

isn't it kinda weird that almost everyone, even beyond the beauty community, hates jeffree or the very least doesn't like him?? like, he either has beef w people or is trying to start beef. i feel like a big part of why he's still relevant is because he's friends w "the father of youtube" who's doing a second documentary on why jeffree star is an innocent angel

Nah, Jeffree is still relevant because he works his non-existent ass off to stay relevant (ie start drama by calling someone else out). He also has his ride-or-die stans that would stick by him whatever he does because he's basically been around since the MySpace era. 

Same for Shane too. Despite all the problematic shit he's done, because he's been around since the inception of Youtube and now creates easily consumable pulp content for his audience, he stays "relevant". 

Posted

I get that this series is based on the life of Jeffree and what goes on behind it, but I feel like this is going to create some drama with the old one that went down with James and Tati.  I just think it’s kind of  unnecessary to be bringing back old drama when they have moved on from their past disputes. 

Posted

Is there nothing else more worthy of a 'documentary' right now?

NO social issues happening at all?  Nothing?  Not a real damn thing?

Just another rich male trying to insert himself into makeup at the height of it's popularity?

STAWP THE PRESS.

Posted

Just another rich male trying to insert himself into makeup at the height of it's popularity?

STAWP THE PRESS.

his "documentary" is basically like keeping up with the kardashian. everyone knows it's a shallow a day in a life series about rich people that adds nothing to society but people still watch it anyway for fuck knows why. but at the same time, i don't believe shane give a shit enough about social issues so if he ever made those kind of docu series it'd probably feel force and misinformed from lack of research, so personally, i'd rather not.

also jeffree's boring. the video is probably just another hour and a half of shane trying to make people to sympathize with him by bringing up his childhood trauma or something. nice try, but he's still a fucking prick in the present ain't he?

Posted

Not sure if I should put this here or Jeffery's thread, but I just watched his story and he said there's going to be NINE parts

Oh my Lord

The ad revenue about to be so thick for Shane lol

Posted

Why do we need a 9 part "documentary" on Jeffree Star? Why do people still give a shit?

Posted

Nine episodes of Shane mimicking the Home Alone kid at everything he sees, great

Posted

Why do we need a 9 part "documentary" on Jeffree Star? Why do people still give a shit?

There must be more filler in this documentary than in Jeffree's actual FACE.

Who wants to watch a crusty, over the hill MYSPACE star?

Posted

STAWP THE PRESS.

you're right, there are so many issues that are way more prevalent than what jeffree star is up to, which shane can not only shed light on but help fix !! bc you know, he has a big heart (and a big wallet) 

but its pretty clear where his priorities are

Posted (edited)

(wow jeffree looks hella old without makeup lol)

isn't it kinda weird that almost everyone, even beyond the beauty community, hates jeffree or the very least doesn't like him?? like, he either has beef w people or is trying to start beef. i feel like a big part of why he's still relevant is because he's friends w "the father of youtube" who's doing a second documentary on why jeffree star is an innocent angel

throwing in my two cents, I don't find it surprising so many people even beyond the beauty community dislike Jeffree so much. The biggest reason is simple because of the fact he is almost ALWAYS involved in some kind of drama; even as an outsider I've noticed he basically 'cycles' through entire friend groups. One week he will be joined to these people at the hip, and the next he will reveal to his audience that you and him have beef, and thus you are hashtag cancelled sis! Like he films a big bundle of videos with other youtubers and presents this image that they are part of a friend group, but it seems very easy to become exiled from said friend group and forget. This can be said for a lot of youtubers even outside of beauty, but for Jeffree this happens very frequently.

His stans eat up the high school levels of friend drama endlessly because they either are still in high school or don't find anything better to be entertained by. Does anyone really believe the victim schtick he pulls each time he does the friend dump cycle? Because it can't just be a matter of being unfortunate enough to have ONLY toxic people gravitate toward you, you have to be contributing some level of toxicity yourself if you sort through friendships this fast. Not to mention he showers people (like Shane) with extravagant gifts worth more than a house or 3, just as a surprise... it seems like a sweet gesture on the surface but... hmm!

And Shane is a Professional Ass-kisser, so of course he wouldn't ever be anything less than Jeffree's yes-man cuz they're the bestest friends in the whole wide world. Shane has an uncanny ability to fix your image up with 80% of the footage being you getting misty-eyed and boo-hooing about yourself for 8 videos, so there's no good reason why JS would pass up on a new docuseries to boil cold tea that's been left in the fridge for 9 months if it means he can pin the whole thing on Tati instead as the mastermind or something haha. The other thing about Shane is that he avoids conflict as much as possible, so he doesnt have a critical bone in his body in order to maximize opportunity

ETA here that Shane basically will only do these because of ad revenue and sponsorships because he picks 'public figures' who can use a clean-up of their image after controversy (Jeffree, Jake Paul, Tana) but balances these out with "charity work" types of docuseries where he basically takes lesser known public figures and boosts their viewership for a short time by collabing (Molly Burke who actually is an activist, the others were struggling youtubers). Eugenia seemed very exploitative imo since he didn't hype it up at all compared to the JS series. Bunny flopped back to her old content and Bobby Burns might get a docuseries if he decides to contact the outside world ever again. But maybe not

Reality TV is still around because people will eat up the drama regardless if it's fabricated or not. The same can apply to YouTube, although I'm not sure why it's most prominent within the beauty community. And seeing how disappointing his last couple of docuseries have been I don't think Shane will bother to actually explore that question critically in favor of indulging fans who just want to tune in to the sheer materialism of it all.

Edited by Junko Enoshima

Posted

there's definitely some sort of mutually benefitial pact between them, it's obvious lol 

Posted

And Shane is a Professional Ass-kisser, so of course he wouldn't ever be anything less than Jeffree's yes-man cuz they're the bestest friends in the whole wide world. Shane has an uncanny ability to fix your image up with 80% of the footage being you getting misty-eyed and boo-hooing about yourself for 8 videos, so there's no good reason why JS would pass up on a new docuseries to boil cold tea that's been left in the fridge for 9 months if it means he can pin the whole thing on Tati instead as the mastermind or something haha. The other thing about Shane is that he avoids conflict as much as possible, so he doesnt have a critical bone in his body in order to maximize opportunity

Yep yep yep. Describes Shane in a nutshell. If he was a true "documentarian", he would get the objective truth out no matter what. The fact of the matter is that Shane is too easily swayed by someone bawling for the camera (literally look at the Tanacon series, he coddled the bitch to no end) which then creates a biased tone for the entirety of the series. I couldn't bare to watch his dumb Jake Paul series because I knew by the end of it he'd be all huggy-huggy with Jake Paul and portray him in a positive light. 

If he truly wanted to make "good" content, there needs to be some other narrative within his docuseries other than a YouTuber crying for forgiveness and him shouting OH MY GOD!!! every 2 minutes. 

Posted

Shane isn't a documentarian in any way, shape or form. He was a washed up youtube "comedian" who started feeling important once he stopped doing dumb food challenge videos. When he made more personal vids, people got interested because for once in his career he seemed to show off a more "real" personality and personal video style. I even liked some of his first few serious videos, I still think the one "docuseries" he did with his dad was very touching and relatable, and most of all had passion and care put into it. He didn't seem like he was putting on a shocked/scandalized act all the time to maximize views.

Also, Shane just isn't a good director (just look at his old scripted stuff, it's insanely bad in every aspect) and 90% of the visuals for his videos nowadays is Andrew's annoying and noisy camera work (Wow! A zoom in on Shane making a silly/shocked/serious face and Andrew gasping/giggling in the background? Cinematography of the year). Like if you ignore the content of his videos, and focus on the editing and other technical aspects, it's barely above your typical high energy vlog in quality. Throwing in some stock footage and dramatic stings doesn't good editing make, and I cannot fathom that Shane claims to spend soooooooo much time working on it you guyzzzz!!! because it does not show. At fucking all.

Shane found a way to make easy money and stay relevant, because he can just churn out one of the docuseries once every few months and split it up in however many parts he want, as long as he keeps working with highly controversial/divisive people he basically got a winning concept on his hand. But he can't go around and claim it's some deep, hard process to produce this garbage. Especially now that we're getting "Pls feel bad for how hard Jeffree Stars life is while gawking at his very expensive possessions" part 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Posted

Shane isn't a documentarian in any way, shape or form. He was a washed up youtube "comedian" who started feeling important once he stopped doing dumb food challenge videos. When he made more personal vids, people got interested because for once in his career he seemed to show off a more "real" personality and personal video style. I even liked some of his first few serious videos, I still think the one "docuseries" he did with his dad was very touching and relatable, and most of all had passion and care put into it. He didn't seem like he was putting on a shocked/scandalized act all the time to maximize views.

He was never a comedian or anything close to that. He just made those cringy videos because that was the trend at the time and thats what was popular, every popular youtuber back then made comedy videos so of course shane would join in on that.                                                              Shane himself said that he was broke and started doing youtube for money.

You betcha if that type of comedy became popular again and it was acceptable ,shane would go back to making those type of videos again without no remorse..you know those videos which contain shock value,making fun of black people, weird sex jokes towards every living thing including animals and children etc.

Posted

honestly this whole series starts to feel like some propaganda like these people were pushed before (jeffree, james, manny etc) but know it feels natural to care about them while you don't even like or watch them but everything and everyone is connected at the end of the day so you have to?and it's triggering and i just feel more antipathy than before.