• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Shane Dawson

1561 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm guessing a lot of you guys saw his new video with Eugenia Cooney? I thought it was okay and it was great to see Eugenia looking so well and I'm so happy for her. However there was moments I was cringing at some of the jokes Shane was making. Anorexia and the recovering from it is such a sensitive thing because despite the physical effects of anorexia a lot of it comes into to play mentally. I feel like Euegenia may have been uncomfortable in some moments but she tried to hide it with a smile. 

Edited by JennyInTokyo

Posted

tbh idk how i feel about the video. at one hand, i'm glad that she finally gets her shit together, like ngl i almost cried when she comes to frame being her lively healthy self, but on the other hand she doesn't sounds like she's all there. how she told her stories sounds like an "aha i have a bad habit of missing a couple meals and finally sort it out its whatever tho" when she was actually probably on the brink of death. i don't mean it as she must tell a sob story and bawling her eyes out on camera, its just that it felt rushed. it felt as if she's not yet ready to share this side of her and should've wait a couple while before being active on socials again. but then again only she knows when she's ready, and apparently its now so idk.

Posted

i think he was trying to ease the conversation with the jokes, idk but when i was having ed and used forums and stuffs bulimic and anorexic people were never really on the same page so maybe he didn't felt weird about the jokes and i don't either but i can see why someone is.

i felt the video was a bit around the topic not direct but i get it because they was trying to respect it and i guess not made it dramatic but good for her finaaally...

Posted

i think part of the reason why people think its rushed/not as deep as his other videos about other interviews with other youtubers is because this isn't a deep dive into her anorexia. this isn't meant to be exactly what she went through since she's been gone, it's a soft reintroduction. it's nice that she trusted shane enough to tell him more than she's told anyone publicly in the years since she's been on youtube, and its nice to have someone supporting you coming back to such a huge platform. 

hid vid might've been put out like a feeler for what people would say or to see people's reaction seeing her for the first time. imagine if she just reuploaded an unprecedented video after 5-6 months of being on youtube... 

Posted

Honestly, I think that because some people don't like him (and I do understand most of the reasons), they disregard the fact that Shane also goes through ED. Making jokes about his body is a way of coping, I know because I've been there, I was never heavy but I would say that about myself and people around me were annoyed and never really tried to understand my reasons. Seeing Eugenia laughing, trusting him, talking about her situation, but not beyond the line that she feels comfortable in, made me feel really well about my own recovery (five years and counting, yay). So, give the man some credit, he did good, he was thoughtful, kind and gave her a great plataform to talk and help other people. 

Posted

I just wished whoever organized this whole thing (be it Shane or Eugenia's management) could've waited like... at least another month or so before doing it.

In the first few minutes of the video (that I fully admit I still haven't finished) Shane and Kati bring up how important and impactful Eugenia talking about this will be. Like nobody stops and thinks about how Eugenia is still in the earliest stages of recovery and doesn't really need the stress of "be a role model and show how good recovery is" hanging over her right now.

Also, at least the first half of the video, seems super focused on Shane and his feelings about the whole thing which, considering he's not really the most sensitive or eloquent person, comes off as kind of misguided and miseducated at best, egotistical and ignorant at worst.

Posted

My heart sank when I saw Kati Morton in the video.

Bruh that aint nothing compared to Katana. She's a horrible person. Why the hell was she there?! 

Re: the video, here's what I don't get. Was this just a side thing - Shane finding out Eugenia got out of rehab and saw a quick cash grab - or is this the content he's been working on for almost a year...?

Posted

Bruh that aint nothing compared to Katana. She's a horrible person. Why the hell was she there?! 

Re: the video, here's what I don't get. Was this just a side thing - Shane finding out Eugenia got out of rehab and saw a quick cash grab - or is this the content he's been working on for almost a year...?

if this is the content that he's been working on for a year then maybe he needs to quit youtube because this was done so poorly imo

Posted

I think that Shane has good intentions, esp since he can relate with her about having ED, but he's really bad at executing his ideas for his videos. He makes the most trivial things sound so dramatic, always hiding in a corner whispering with Andrew, looking so damn shocked. There are information in his videos that take about 10 minutes to show or talk about, yet he expands them to half an hour or something. It's probably just me, but I find his series sort of like, him feeding his own curiosity about other ppl's lives? It's cool that he turned it into a series yes, but like I said, he's not very good at executing his ideas. For me, he comes off as kinda nosy. In comparison to actual professionals who do documentaries, he comes off as prying rather than "investigating". But I'm probably just being nitpicky at this point. :alpacafedup:

Posted

I think that Shane has good intentions, esp since he can relate with her about having ED, but he's really bad at executing his ideas for his videos. He makes the most trivial things sound so dramatic, always hiding in a corner whispering with Andrew, looking so damn shocked. There are information in his videos that take about 10 minutes to show or talk about, yet he expands them to half an hour or something. It's probably just me, but I find his series sort of like, him feeding his own curiosity about other ppl's lives? It's cool that he turned it into a series yes, but like I said, he's not very good at executing his ideas. For me, he comes off as kinda nosy. In comparison to actual professionals who do documentaries, he comes off as prying rather than "investigating". But I'm probably just being nitpicky at this point. :alpacafedup:

Couldn't have said it better myself, if it was any other series (e.g. Jake Paul, Jeffree Star) maybe some of his humor or nosiness wouldn't be as noticeable or come across rude but I think with what the situation was, he should've been a bit more serious. Overall I don't necessarily think the video was bad - just might've needed to tone it down a bit, hopefully if he does another video similar to this he's not as nosy or laughing as much (the start of the video annoyed me more than the rest)   

Posted

In comparison to actual professionals who do documentaries, he comes off as prying rather than "investigating". But I'm probably just being nitpicky at this point. :alpacafedup:

Hit the nail on the head.
Whenever one of the subjects of Shane's documentaries says something off-hand or accidentally says something maybe a bit too revealing he always lights up and looks at Andrew/the camera before pressing and prodding the person to talk more. Sometimes you can even see the person hesitating or faltering after Shane asks a random question about something they obviously do not want to talk about.

The fact that Shane ALWAYS starts commenting and asking questions about literally any house he enters seems very intrusive to me, especially with Bunny and now Eugenia who have never really shown off their home before and now Shane comes in to expose it to the world. Not everyone feels comfortable showing off their home, for various reasons. And just because you have good money to live in a big and fancy house, doesn't mean everything in it is meant to be gawked at.

Shane is obsessed with other peoples lives, and he loves inserting himself into them. He loves gossip and drama, and trying to paint any of these documentaries of his as anything other than lengthy drama videos is kind of pointless at this point.