• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Shane Dawson

1853 posts in this topic

Posted

I think the reason why Shane gets away with more than most public figures is because a large part of his fanbase has been watching Shane since he first started making videos... Those very offensive and damaging jokes that are surfacing today, many people remember a time when they found them funny and entertaining. 

I mean I don't remember that well, but I'm pretty sure his videos always got millions of views... So it would be a bit hypocritical of those people to not forgive him when they were supporting and encouraging him during that time, no? 

If most of the people defending him with the childish, fake deep responses of "you don't understand" and "stop being a sensitive snowflake" are fans that have supported him since the says of old YouTube, that would mean they'd be over 20 years old (YouTube started early to mid 2000s, roughly around 2002) which means they're too fucking old to be acting like that. Once you gain the right to legally vote you need to learn how your opinions, beliefs, and the words you say affect the people around you. If you don't want to, that's fine, you have the right to not do that either; just don't get your knickers in a twist or whine and play the victim when people rightfully come for and criticize you for being an unsympathetic jackass.

Also, no one is saying you can't like something that's bad or problematic. The people that DO say that are massive hypocrites as I guarantee that at least one aspect of the media they consume is problematic in some way. For some reason people forgot that you can like something without worshipping it and seeing it as flawless. One of my favorite guilty pleasure anime is Rosario Vampire. It's misogynistic, sexist, and chauvinistic af but it's so dumb its funny to the point I find it really entertaining. I can criticize a lot of the aspects of the show while still liking it, just like Shane Dawson fans can still like him while acknowledging how problematic he is/was. The problem with a lot, not all, of his fans is, they tend to blindly worship him and refuse to try and see how other people might have a problem with him, and instead of being mature and trying to understand their perspective, they see any criticism of Shane as a personal attack on them and they lash out at the critics, which stops any conversation. This is a cycle that needs to stop in order for Shane to be able to improve. His fans claim to love him and want the best for him, but when they do this shit it's only gonna hurt him in the long run.

this is spot on. As someone who used to watch youtube alot back in 2010,shanes videos used to get 1.000.000 to 4.000.000 views on average back then and that was alot for yt and only the big youtubers of the time like smosh,epicmeal time,fbe etc got that much views back then.

But no one really found shanes content funny,people found smosh's content funny,but shanes content was the type of conent that you'd watch somewhere where no one could hear you when you are bored and want the lowest of entertainment. 

I still think shane needs to be held accountable,if people will hold other youtubers for one tweet that they made 10 years ago accountable, then why wont they hold shane who constantly made racist,pedo,rape and bestiality jokes until 2016.

Shane says he is ''sorry'' for his old content yet he doesnt want to delete his old channels and videos.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like even back then Shane wasn't that popular or well-liked. I'm a YouTube veteran, using the site for over 12 years, and even as a cringy 4th grader babby who made and commented on shitty Pokemon AMV's in the 2000s I remember hating on Shane with my YouTube buds because all the "normies," for lack of a better term, watched him. He was kind of like the Fred of 2005, the Annoying Orange in the 2010's and the Pewdiepie of 2014. YouTube united over their mutual hate for them. 

Posted

*Imagine being a Shane fan and trying to defend this video*

Jesus fucking christ.

Posted

"It was just a joke! You guys don't get dark humor at all! God stop being so sensitive and stop calling Shane racist."-Shane fans

and it's weird because from what i can tell most of his fans are in that "internet social justice"/cyber-activism circle, they're the farthest it is from scuffed. and they're defending this shit? it doesn't add up.

as someone who actually have a very crude and fucked up sense of humor, i can't even find those skits funny. it's offensive for the purpose of being offensive. the only people i can think of that might chuckle at them are either edgy 12yo or people who actually have some kind of prejudice towards black people. he might not be a racist now but he definitely did have a very stereotypical views about minorities. maybe it's his family up bringing or the peers he surrounded himself with, bottom line is, his fans can't just pass it off as "humor" not everyone is that fucking moronic. i mean come on now not even filthyfrank did blackface.

Posted

Most of his viewers are trend-grabbing kids, and it's a well known fact that kids don't have a sophisticated world view and they are very selective when it comes to morals, of course if a terrible person does something bad - it's a constant negative value, but if an idol does something like it, he has a pass for a whatever reason. It was always like this, not only in theirs world.

Posted

On a side note, I'm really glad Shane has a great cameraman who doesn't feel uncomfortable about whatever content Shane wants on his videos. When Andrew was first introduced, I was actually a lil worried he'd find Shane's stuff "too much" for him. He even let Shane do his makeup using Jeffree's new palette. Not saying I support Jeffree (yikes), just appreciating Andrew. 😂🙈 Hopefully, he doesn't turn out to be problematic too.

42F0FB82-2964-4EC6-A7C3-D5C322A3D2EB.jpeg

F5EFE931-E11C-4E64-96DD-886510EAD870.jpeg

Posted

On a side note, I'm really glad Shane has a great cameraman who doesn't feel uncomfortable about whatever content Shane wants on his videos. When Andrew was first introduced, I was actually a lil worried he'd find Shane's stuff "too much" for him. He even let Shane do his makeup using Jeffree's new palette. Not saying I support Jeffree (yikes), just appreciating Andrew. 😂🙈 Hopefully, he doesn't turn out to be problematic too.

42F0FB82-2964-4EC6-A7C3-D5C322A3D2EB.jpeg

F5EFE931-E11C-4E64-96DD-886510EAD870.jpeg

Side note, I'm so sorry but he looks like he's wearing latex gloves and it's trippy. 

It's nice to see Andrew being so supportive but Shane didn't do him any justice with that eye look.

Posted

his stans acting like he won the nobel awards or something. :notimp:

Posted (edited)

"It was just a joke! You guys don't get dark humor at all! God stop being so sensitive and stop calling Shane racist."-Shane fans

im all about offensive jokes but that is even too much for me and i'm european, when he said "oh n... bitch monkey women" like in what universe he thought that was funny and its not even "aahh that was a few years ago thing were diffrent" no u dont use these words like ever and he was like a grown ass man too

edit: sorry wanted to quote the video too well..

Edited by ms45

Posted

It seems as though Jake Paul is making new videos about “confronting” people... Like he confronted Cody Ko for being an “internet bully” (lmao) and Lil Xan for cheating on Tana Mongeau

part of me wonders if Jake is only doing these videos because of Shane? I mean, Shane was making these videos (confronting my hater/confronting my dad) and Jake’s thumbnails look a lot like Shane’s new ones. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the case, of course 

Posted

I just watched Shane's beauty room makeover and I had no idea he had THAT much makeup already. Apparently it's just to try it on and see what the "competition" is doing but it seems so wasteful?? If he doesn't wear makeup daily what is he going to do with all of that?

Also, he spends all that money on makeup that he doesn't even wear and then tries to get a mirror/desk/wtv it was for free lmao

Posted

I just watched Shane's beauty room makeover and I had no idea he had THAT much makeup already. Apparently it's just to try it on and see what the "competition" is doing but it seems so wasteful?? If he doesn't wear makeup daily what is he going to do with all of that?

Also, he spends all that money on makeup that he doesn't even wear and then tries to get a mirror/desk/wtv it was for free lmao

i know as a makeup lover and user it's really frustrating to see and it seems like he doesn't even like it just playing around with it like a kid. it also seems like they forcing on him, i think shane masculine for this i would get if ryland would do it. i'm pretty sure jeffree and (him i guess) saw a major business opportunity for releasing a palette or whatever they making. I liked shane but in this past half year he started to disgust me he became on of the "la people" he was feard of lol

Posted

maybe he genuinely enjoys it, but shane is the last person i expected to wear makeup. its pretty clear that he's only doing this because of his upcoming documentary with jeffree (which may i add, how are you gonna show "the ugly side of the beauty community" by partnering w the most controversial and ugly person in the community lol). i also can't take him seriously bc hes just so unhygienic and didnt wash his face until like 2 months ago lol