• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Shane Dawson

1559 posts in this topic

Posted

oh my god, imagine fifteen years foward, Shane and Ryland recalling their engagement and the cat-fucking controversy. It's funny AND sad at the same time. I'm so lost i don't know what to think. It's kinda sad that one of the happiest day of his life is ruined by that, but tbh it's not an excuse. 

Posted

I mean the timing is a little odd but good for them. 

Posted

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I have to rant and get this off my chest. Shane's fanbase is becoming almost as annoying as Pewdiepie fans were in 2011 (and to an extent, annoying today). Every time I bring up the fact that almost all of Shane's "lol so edgy XD" jokes aren't fucking funny at all to me and are just gross, I get the same cookie cutter reply of "You just don't understand his dark humor," or that "He's apologized already, so why are you still hating on him!!1"

First of all, I do understand dark humor. I'm subbed to people like idubbbz and Filthy Frank (rip in peace) and loved the shit out of their content back when it was still good. Their entire comedic careers were built off of making edgy jokes, but they never got much flak for it. You know why? Because their jokes were almost always funny, and they had a point. Idubbbz ate popcorn out of sewer in his Keemstar Content Cop to show how Keem and his fans eat from a disgusting rumor mill that involves really scummy ways of exposing people, and Frank made a wheelchair parody of "Pimp My Ride" to show how stupid the show was and how cruelly we treat disabled people. Their jokes were edgy FOR A PURPOSE. What was the point of Shane telling a story of jacking off over his cat, even if it was a joke? What was even the punchline? Was that even considered funny back then? idubbbz and Frank made edgy jokes that satirized what people and society did. By doing or saying something gross, it makes people self-refect and think about what they're doing. It inspires change. Instead of telling people that "tHey DonT unDerStAnd," why don't you use all that passion to do something more productive like inspire Shane to actually change and improve his sense of humor? 

Second of all, I don't care that he's apologized. He could've revealed the cure for cancer with his apology and I still wouldn't care. His past jokes, ESPECIALLY his ongoing blackface minstrel act were offensive AND racist af. If I hear one more person defend his blackface saying it was "acceptable back then," I'm gonna scoop my eyes out with a spork so I don't have to subject myself to that stupidity anymore. Shane did his minstrel show in the 2000's, not the fucking 30's. Blackface stopped being socially acceptable after the 60's. I know the 2000's were over a decade ago but blackface and minstrel acts WERE UNACCEPTABLE EVEN BACK THEN. One of the first things you learn when it comes to racial history in America IS blackface and minstrel shows, and how it was a racist act meant to put down an already marginalized group of people. The fact that Shane knew this and yet STILL did his Shanaynay act for a LONG TIME really shows his character. Again, what was the point of Shanaynay? He could've chosen to make a statement on how stupid and racist blackface was by making fun of the white people that did it or found it funny, but he didn't. He chose to do the EXACT SAME THING those racist actors did in the 30s. Just because he apologized doesn't mean that me, or any other black people for that matter, have to forgive him. That doesn't give you the right to call us " too sensitive" when we still criticize him, years later for his fucked up actions.  Sure, he might've been young when he did them, but even if he was a completely different person now (He isn't), even if he got a fucking sex change since then, his current self and his past self still share the same social security number. My point is, his past self was still him. That's just a fact, and facts don't care about your feelings :alpacacrush:

Shane, and his fans that vehemently defend him need to accept that 1. Not everyone is gonna find your edgy jokes funny, 2. People are gonna take offense to offensive jokes, and 3. People are gonna give you shit for your joke if they think its offensive or unfunny. These are just part of being a comedian. Crying and acting like you're the victim every time your bad jokes blow up in your face makes you a pansy, and you stans that defend him instead of trying to help him every time he fucks up are helping him never improve. If you want Shane to stop getting "hate," stop it. YOU are part of the problem. 

And while you guys are at it, stop dedicating so much of your energy toward defending someone who doesn't even know you exist and use it towards studying or reading or something, because some of y'alls grammar and spelling is terrible sorry not sorry

You're so right. I think he most like is a racist, because I knew even way back then his "shananay" character was completely fucked up. Everyone knew it was considered wrong to use the N-word and blackface, and only wannabe edgy pieces of shit did it. I can also appreciate dark humor, but what he did was cheap, lazy, and offensive. No one has the right to tell people to just get over his racism, especially those who are affected most by it. It drives me up the wall when people try and excuse racism in any form.

Posted (edited)

You're so right. I think he most like is a racist, because I knew even way back then his "shananay" character was completely fucked up. Everyone knew it was considered wrong to use the N-word and blackface, and only wannabe edgy pieces of shit did it. I can also appreciate dark humor, but what he did was cheap, lazy, and offensive. No one has the right to tell people to just get over his racism, especially those who are affected most by it. It drives me up the wall when people try and excuse racism in any form.

That's what really annoys me about his fans. To some extent I get most of them are 12-16 and haven't even fully developed the ability to feel empathy yet, so I can kinda excuse them, but his stans above 20 (Yes, they exist) that excuse racism and call us "snowflakes" when they're the ones getting triggered over us being offended or not finding his joke funny are worst. They're at a stage in their life where they should be able to see and understand things from other people's perspective, but they live so vicariously through Shane that any perceived attack on Shane is an attack on them (this obsessive fangirling is a convo society needs to have at another time tho). The fact that they, at their age, can't understand why some people don't wanna support someone like Shane just baffles me. Like no one is asking for Shane to be burned at the stake; we just want him to accept consequences for his actions, and his fans to realize their idol isn't the second coming of Christ. 

Also, just a quick note on the cat thing: I don't think Shane fucked his cat. However, as someone who works in retail, knowing how to be able to read body language and someone's tone is a valuable survival skill, and through his language choice and tone I can tell that something about that story is true. The tone of his voice didn't have enough sarcasm and "I'm just telling a story for laughs" in it. Even in his defense tweet where he said he didn't fuck his cat he was too defensive and self-preservational, like someone caught him in a lie. It had that same tone customers have when you tell them you know they grabbed the item they came up to you with the receipt to return off the shelf 5 minutes ago. Too defensive and not enough disbelief, because their mind is too focused on convincing you they're innocent. If you're truly innocent, you'd be shocked and terrified at first, not aggressively defensive off the bat. He didn't fuck his cat, but maybe he accidentally came on Cheeto or he watched him jerk off or something🤢. Still gross, but not as bad as he made it out to be. 

Edited by Tea Noire
Further thoughts

Posted

Looking forward to seeing Shane’s ceremonial bathrobe.

Posted (edited)

I know im kinda late to this whole shabang but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in and I'm hoping this hasn't already been clearly said because I'll feel like an idiot if it was.

But honestly, as disgusting as that podcast joke was, I don't think Shane has ever put his dick anywhere near his cat. I've been watching him since 2011 and honestly I almost fully believe that he didn't do it. 

To be honest, I think his joke delivery is just fucking awful. It's gotten better recently, but in the past, the way he made jokes and acted comedic was through these characters and personas of his(Shanaynay, Aunt Hilda, Shane and Friends, etc). His content back then definitely wasn't for everyone but that was just the edgy humor at the time and it was a lot more acceptable than it is now. 

I think what made this sound so fucking bad is the fact he said it with a straight face. If he was holding back laughter or if he was giggling while he said what he said, then it would've come off as a joke(a shitty one all be it, but still a joke). But the fact he said it so seriously is what made it sound so bad. I think someone else brought this up but Filthy Frank had the exact same style of humor.

The difference between him and shane though is Joji can actually deliver his jokes... and you can CLEARLY tell when he's joking. His character filthy frank was literally supposed to be the worst kind of human being imaginable, he even put that in the bio of his youtube. Shane's character Shanaynay is honestly really similar to that, and maybe if it was Shanaynay telling the joke with better delivery it would've been taken as a joke but..

Idk, god. Idk how the fuck he could consciously fuck up so bad? Like how did it not register to him that this could be one day taken out of context and used to smear him? Why the fuck is he so bad at telling jokes when his job is to be a comedian??? This situation hurts my head

edit: So i'm seeing more strange content with him and pets and honestly idk if he was joking or not anymore. Like my point still kinda stands but idk?? Why the fuck are there so many out of context videos of him doing weird shit with animals.?

edit 2: Final edit, i thought about it and honestly anyone who actually has fucked up kinks like incest, pedophilia, beastiality WOULD NEVER broadcast that they're into that or tell the world that. It makes no logical sense for him to out himself as a pet fucker if he really was because he'd just be shooting himself in his own foot because of the slander and accusations that would follow because of that. I agree the videos of him are weird as fuck but i think he's just weird as fuck and he has a strange sense of humor.

Edited by glitterati

Posted

Honestly, I think Shane doesn't fully understand that his actions might have consequences. I don't know if it's because he's gotten coddled by his fanbase for so many years or if he's just childish, but he doesn't really seem to understand what he actually did wrong whenever he gets called out or criticized for something stupid he's done. 

I still don't know what to think about the cat situation, I think I'm more interested reading people's reasoning around the whole situation than whether he did it or not at this moment. I also think it's a ridiculously awful delivery, but like I said in a previous post he's not very good at telling non-scripted jokes and isn't very good at reading the air so he can sort of finish it off with a punchline or something to save the situation.

Posted

I used to watch Shane Dawson’s videos a lot and liked him, but honestly lately he and his fans are coming across as very annoying and Shane has been getting into a lot of trouble lately. Recently I heard about Shane retweeing a post about the Boeing planes and how they had crashes and to be careful, while it isn’t nothing to bad some of his fans were “Shane why I’m going on a plane soon and now I’m scared” while other fans were defending him saying “YOURE ANXIETY IS YOURE RESPONSIBILITY NOT SHANE HE IS THE RIGHT PERSON TO TALK ABOUT THIS” and in all honesty Shane doesn’t know the affect he has on his audience and I really think he should stay quiet for a while, especially after the cat thing as well not sure if he did it or not but it was very disturbing and his fans defending him are very hypocritical and it’s just wrong to defend it. Those are my two cents 

Posted (edited)

when i saw the try he did with jeffree's new palette, i felt so soft BUT then i remembered it's shane dawson

Edited by soroki

Posted (edited)

I think the reason why Shane gets away with more than most public figures is because a large part of his fanbase has been watching Shane since he first started making videos... Those very offensive and damaging jokes that are surfacing today, many people remember a time when they found them funny and entertaining. 

I mean I don't remember that well, but I'm pretty sure his videos always got millions of views... So it would be a bit hypocritical of those people to not forgive him when they were supporting and encouraging him during that time, no? 

Edited by Chanter

Posted

Looking forward to seeing Shane’s ceremonial bathrobe.

Does this mean he will shower for once?

Posted

I think the reason why Shane gets away with more than most public figures is because a large part of his fanbase has been watching Shane since he first started making videos... Those very offensive and damaging jokes that are surfacing today, many people remember a time when they found them funny and entertaining. 

I mean I don't remember that well, but I'm pretty sure his videos always got millions of views... So it would be a bit hypocritical of those people to not forgive him when they were supporting and encouraging him during that time, no? 

this is spot on. As someone who used to watch youtube alot back in 2010,shanes videos used to get 1.000.000 to 4.000.000 views on average back then and that was alot for yt and only the big youtubers of the time like smosh,epicmeal time,fbe etc got that much views back then.

But no one really found shanes content funny,people found smosh's content funny,but shanes content was the type of conent that you'd watch somewhere where no one could hear you when you are bored and want the lowest of entertainment. 

I still think shane needs to be held accountable,if people will hold other youtubers for one tweet that they made 10 years ago accountable, then why wont they hold shane who constantly made racist,pedo,rape and bestiality jokes until 2016.

Shane says he is ''sorry'' for his old content yet he doesnt want to delete his old channels and videos.

Posted

*Imagine being a Shane fan and trying to defend this video*