How do you commit on growing out your hair?

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

I've had short hair for the past couple years, mostly because I find it easier to take care of, but it's not what looks the best on me. I would really like to move on and get long hair for once and for all, I feel like it stops growing whenever it reaches bellow the shoulder. I have a chin length bob with bangs. What are some tips for resisting the urge to cut it all off? Do you have some word of encouragements or stories you'd like to share? :alpacacrush:

Posted

Hi everyone,

I've had short hair for the past couple years, mostly because I find it easier to take care of, but it's not what looks the best on me. I would really like to move on and get long hair for once and for all, I feel like it stops growing whenever it reaches bellow the shoulder. I have a chin length bob with bangs. What are some tips for resisting the urge to cut it all off? Do you have some word of encouragements or stories you'd like to share? :alpacacrush:

The thing that worked for me was to look at the pictures with my short hair and see how horrible it looked on me and that made me stop wanting to cut it(I went from ear length hair to hip length in about 5 years, only trimmed it 3 times to cut off damage). Also, when my hair was at the awkward-looking-stage(from ear length to shoulder length, beause of the puffyness) I was always wearing a ponytail and clipped away all the too-short-for-ponytail-hairs. Bangs are a different story, I couldn't grow them out past cheekbone length because I always cut them back, and only managed to grow them out 2 years ago after all my hair was already long, with the help of using headbands and braiding bangs away so they don't annoy me; after they grew enough to be fully tucked behind my ears, I didn't have the urge to cut them anymore.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Posted

i go from short to long to short to long year by year because fortunately my hair grows pretty fast. my advice would be to ignore your hair, at least that is what I do. if my bangs are getting long, i just sweep it to the side, i dont think too much about them so suddenly it's like oh they are long enough to be tucked behind my ears. once they are that length, it's easier to let them grow since it's no longer poking my eyes. as for overall, i always just tie my hair up because sometimes i hate how distracting long hair can be, if you tie them up, they distract you less and you wont think about cutting them away. ^_^

Posted

I suggest taking some progress pics and then kinda ignoring the growth otherwise, like everytime you grow out your hair you seem to be checking it 247 and not seeing any difference but i've found the every month or so you can actually see a difference in the pics. That is always such "BRO, IT'S REALLY GROWN WTH" and you never realise that kinda stuff without that. IMO. GOOD LUCK THO<3

Posted

You should look at pictures of people with long hair to get some motivation and grow your hair to shoulder length. Then you should use a shirt you don't really need and every month, mark how long your hair has gotten with a marker on your shirt. I feel like you'd definitely see a difference.

And I agree with papercrane, i'd also look at pictures of my old short hairstyles and that would keep the urge off. Since I always have the urge to cut my bangs or hair whenever I'm upset lol.

And coconut oil has really helped my hair grow. I use 2tbs (depends on how long your hair is) of coconut oil and massage it on my scalp for about 5-10 minutes then rub it on all my hair. Then I just sleep in it and wake up in the morning to wash it off.

Posted

I'm growing out my hair after going short for about a year & honestly I kinda just ignore it like @Lololololol said. The only time I get my hair cut is to trim off dead ends every once in a while or to thin it out since my hair is thick & it starts getting heavy.

Also, if you ever get the urge to cut your hair why not opt to get it colored instead? Whenever I've felt like doing something different with my hair I've always been satisfied with just dying it instead of trying to go for a different hair cut. Although I'm currently trying to grow out my last dye job, which also helps me resist cutting it bc I like seeing the transition from natural to dyed. 

@two-of-hearts mentioned using coconut oil & there are a lot of different alternatives that are supposed to help your hair grow faster like vitamins, other oils, hair treatments & etc.

Posted

im the type of person who gets bored often and always likes to change things up (esp my hair).i used to dye it allllooot but utimately all that damaged my hair. this was all like 5yrs ago and frm then on its been a challenge to get my hair long and healthy. i stopped dying it and the only way to change my hair was haircuts lol so i cut it again twice (i love short hair but it doesnt match my faceshape? :alpacaworry: i cant belive it took me too long to realise it) but what motivates me is also just looking at pictures!! i have some saved with my long-ish hair and look at that everytime i get the urge to cut my hair. but if it ever gets too much i cut my bangs! i feel that they are enough for me to get a new look and actually cut my hair, like actually feel the sensation, (i cut my hair myself) and when i do cut my bangs after a while i get to see how much it grew if that makes sense? 

sorry if this is too much but i hope it helped im also trying to grow out my hair :alpacasad:

Posted

I suggest taking some progress pics and then kinda ignoring the growth otherwise, like everytime you grow out your hair you seem to be checking it 247 and not seeing any difference but i've found the every month or so you can actually see a difference in the pics. That is always such "BRO, IT'S REALLY GROWN WTH" and you never realise that kinda stuff without that. IMO. GOOD LUCK THO<3

This ^ 

Don't focus on it so much lol, I tried to grow my hair out desperately once. Before college I got a haircut but right before getting the haircut I took a picture of my long hair, looking back on it now I didn't realize how long it actually was because I was nitpicking at its length a lot

Posted

Fortunately my hair grows really fast and I don't need to do anything special to it. It's usually down to my hips but once every 1.5-2 years I get annoyed and want to cut 15-20cm off. Usually they end up accidentally cutting more (I hate hairdressers honestly). And I just don't suit short hair so I know the struggle of wanting your hair to grow out fast. Depending on the hairstyle you got while your hair is growing it can look awkward and be annoying but you just have to ignore it. Tie it up more, try out some hairstyles to make yourself feel better while it is at that awkward length. Taking progress pictures is also a good idea. You might think your hair hasn't grown but when you compare 2 pictures you can see that it did. But honestly you just have to prepare yourself for a slow journey. Even if your hair grows really fast like mine (my a bit below shoulder length haircut grew out until my waist in 1 year) it's still a slow process. Don't obsess over it because if you do you'll just get annoyed/stressed because you'll be constantly checking your hair. Basically keep repeating to yourself that growing hair is a slow process, it takes time but in the end you'll look better (since you've said longer hair looks better on you)

Posted (edited)

so from experience of having a pixie cut i took in processes of growing my hair. i went from a pixie cut to a asymmetrical pixie, then when that got long enough id chop it into a long bob cause when that grows the front will be long and the back always grows faster so in a few month itll be past the shoulders to where i finally put layers.  how i saw this experience is i got to experience a lot of fun haircuts which to me i finally had the right to tell people hell yes i got to experience the joy of trying new cuts as i grew my hair out and learn what works with my face and what doesnt to really justify what works and what doesnt and what im comfortable with : D like legit thought this was fun part of my life i got to experience a lot considering i was reaaaallly insecure about a lot of things with my face but experiment with colour cause that helped me from cutting my hair and i helps elongate and create beautiful illusions of the face with little accents to create a illusion and shape of the face doing that. i discovered many cuts that can work with my face through this hair growth journey that if i were to chop my hair i wouldnt be so worried.

what i did was biotin and a clarifying shampoo. it takes 2-4 months to fully see the results of biotin to come into play due to the fact that your body needs to get into the routine of cycling through that youll first see your nails grow like no other but the hair results come with in three months cause again the process of hair growth cycle is a bit time consuming and what not and everyone's bodies different

also the reason why i say use a clarifying shampoo is also because during the months of using biotin. you want to use that to free your scalp of build up. the truth of hair growth shampoos are they re all clarifying shampoos, meant to cleanse the scalp yet condition the hair with out clogging the hair of build up. build up of natural oils and over usage of hair product is the main reason our hair as women does not grow as much because we forget the importance of  scalp cleansing. think of it as skin care but of the hair.

it took me with a pixie cut to little past my shoulders with in 8 months on this regime you HAVE to be very routine. ALSO when shampoo make sure your conditioner is ON THE ENDS ONLY NEVER ON THE SCALP OF THE HAIR because that is another cause of build up on the root of the hair clogging the pores of the hair root. . shampoo scalp condition the ends because your root regardless will naturally secrete oils to condition that part of the hair

another cool thing i did i brush with boar brush to distribute the oils from the roots of my hair through my ends. curly hair wouldnt reccommend i would use a comb and deep condition and use a wide tooth comb 

MWA! hope this help love! :) 

Edited by beforeNafter...o-o

Posted

If you're unlucky and it takes time to you to make your hair growing I thin that you should just forget them. I mean do'nt stay focused on them, just ignore.

You shoul eat lot of vitamins, so a lot of fruits & vegetables. If your hair hair is damaged or dry, try coco's oil which is a very good moisturizer but just on the ends of your hair! Use a soft shampoo. When you wash your hair, you have to apply it on the scalp only and massage it. For the conditionner, don't apply it on your scalp like oil, only on the ends.  Don't unravel your hair when it's still wet. You can blow your hair at least if it's not hot. If you straight your hair, try on very little parts to avoid burning them and if you want to curl them, just forget this idea haha. 

I think that all the tips I can give to you are listed, but if an another one pop up in my mind I'll edit this post ;)

(Sorry for my english, I'm not a native english speaker :'( )

Posted

Here is my hair care routine:

I wash my hair every other day (or everyday if required) currently using Volumizing shampoo (here you can find reviews on the best of them 
https://www.theolive.com/reviews/best-volumizing-shampoo/) but I do mix it up with an Argon Oil Shampoo when it is feeling dry. I use a Conditioner and I dye my own hair. 

Posted

Hi everyone,

Imo its all genetics, I dont do much but it still grows fast. Maybe you should cut just the ends once it reachs shoulder cause maybe its opening...

Posted

I know you want your hair to grow but consider a trim every 4-5 months initially and when it is a bit longer once a quarter. My hair was long but in a bad shape until I found a hairdresser I liked. I had to chop a good bit off and by now get trims regularly to cut my hair healthy. It was the best advice she gave me that really helped growing my hair out again.

Posted

My hair grew way past my boobs simply because of my laziness mixed with my depression. I recently got my hair cut for the first time in like 2 years and and I donated the hair.

I wasn’t dyeing my hair or doing any harsh treatments, so I think that helped keep it somewhat healthy. A big issue I usually have with growing my hair out is breakage. Doing a small trim (like other users have mentioned) every 6 months is the best way to keep it healthy while growing it out! 

Also, try biotin supplements!