Asian Beauty/Skincare

129 posts in this topic

Posted

I recently started to get into korean skincare, so I ordered some products and will try them out when they arrive :alpacacrush: 

I'm also a total newbie coming to skincare so wish me luck ! My morning routine is currently using a facewash, applying day cream and that's it.. I never had severe acne, only pimples here and there. I tend to break out because of hormones though. I have normal to dry skin (T zone) and red blemishes/whiteheads around my chin and nose. My "main" issues I'd say is deadskins (exfoliate who?), uneven skin tone and dryness. Anyway, I'm gonna stop talking about me because it's not the topic rofl :alpacadone:

As previously mentionned, these two links are great for those who wanna know what exactly is asian skincare :

https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/comments/2jcss2/asian_skincare_101_a_beginners_guide_faq/

http://www.fanserviced-b.com/a-visual-guide-to-the-korean-skincare-routine/

And I personally came across this blog explaining how to build a skincare routine :

https://fiftyshadesofsnail.com/2015/06/25/how-to-build-an-asian-skincare-routine/

Hope it helps ! :alpacawink:

Thank you so much! :alpacacrush:

Posted

I'm probably late to this but I've been using the Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer and so far it's been okay. However, I've heard mixed reviews regarding the product and I want to know if any of you ever used Neutrogena products before? If so I would love to hear your thoughts on it. 

Also, I'm a newbie in facial care so I would like to know is it okay to wear moisturizer after wearing those charcoal-clay based drying masks?

Posted

I'm probably late to this but I've been using the Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer and so far it's been okay. However, I've heard mixed reviews regarding the product and I want to know if any of you ever used Neutrogena products before? If so I would love to hear your thoughts on it. 

Also, I'm a newbie in facial care so I would like to know is it okay to wear moisturizer after wearing those charcoal-clay based drying masks?

you actually need to moisturize especially after doing those kind of skincare, about neutrogena i've never tried this brand so i can't say much about it, it can work on someone like it can make someone else break out try it out and see if you get any kind of reaction

about skincare i didn't read the whole thread so perhaps someone already mentioned the website before but I've ordered a couple time from testerkorea and i actually recommend it regarding variety of products and price range though the downsides are the shipping price and it takes around 3 weeks to come but the good thing is i never got any problem with custom fee as they always write down 20$ as the value and mark it as a gift and they also give a lot of samples so just in case someone is looking for a website that sells korean products ; they also do sales and other events 

Posted

I've already gotten some products and I'm hooked guys :haiplz:
I've been putting this stuff on for like two weeks and my skin is definitely better compared to before.

I got the Aqua combo skin cream, Argan 20 toner, and some sunscreen (SPF 50) from Nature Republic
I guess my skin is a little drier than I thought so next time I'll get the Aqua cream for dry skin. The argan toner feels fantastic. And the sunscreen feels matte and powdery despite it being very watery; its great. Later on I'll add a product or two, but this is good for now.

Also, I do use a foaming cleanser, but it is one from Obagi. I use it because I have it, but don't recommend it for dry skin.

Posted

I'm interested in getting into a skincare routine and I'm going to be in Japan this Summer so I was hoping that if anyone has any recommendations for Japanese products that I could grab there and any info about their availability within Japan (Like what type of places it's typically sold). I don't really have any major issues with my skin, occasional spots but not greasy or dry. I'm 20 and I'd just like to keep my skin in the best condition. :alpacacrush: I'll be visiting Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo.

Would this be the appropriate thread to ask about makeup too? I don't wear it but I would like to buy some cute lip colour whilst there. ^_^

Posted (edited)

Neutrogena was one of the brands I used throughout my teens, and I still use it from time to time. I liked their oil-free moisturiser enough to use it for a few years until they reformulated it. Their Ageless Intensives night cream is decent too (has retinol; used up two tubes of it; I find retinol helps with my acne). Oh, and I used to use those Deep Clean scrubs way back, but the microbeads aren't great for the environment. Keep in mind, this was back when toners had alcohol in them and dried my skin up so badly. I'll always go back to Neutrogena if I want it simple.

----------------

I'm interested in getting into a skincare routine and I'm going to be in Japan this Summer so I was hoping that if anyone has any recommendations for Japanese products that I could grab there and any info about their availability within Japan (Like what type of places it's typically sold). I don't really have any major issues with my skin, occasional spots but not greasy or dry. I'm 20 and I'd just like to keep my skin in the best condition. :alpacacrush: I'll be visiting Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo.

Would this be the appropriate thread to ask about makeup too? I don't wear it but I would like to buy some cute lip colour whilst there. ^_^

Hada Labo has various lines of skincare. I like their Gokujyun Light Lotion (Lotion is like essence, but not as many ingredients as Korean essences would have). I get dehydrated skin, so this helps because it's got hyaluronic acid. I LOVE Japanese sunscreens and mascaras (and false lashes), but I think Korean brands have it down for cute/experimental lip products. You can find Korean brands in Japan. 

---------------

I've been on the 10-step skincare for 2+ years, but I have a mix of Western and Asian brands. I don't like Asian cleansers in general because they feel like they strip your skin, like soap does. Asian skincare does moisture/hydration better -- lots of products have hyaluronic acid (my dehydrated skin loves that) and they're not as heavy as the Western creams. However, there aren't many varieties of actives (that are proven to work) in Asian brands -- you can find BHA and Vit C but I haven't seen a retinol.

Edited by Tsubaki

Posted

I've been on the 10-step skincare for 2+ years, but I have a mix of Western and Asian brands. I don't like Asian cleansers in general because they feel like they strip your skin, like soap does. Asian skincare does moisture/hydration better -- lots of products have hyaluronic acid (my dehydrated skin loves that) and they're not as heavy as the Western creams. However, there aren't many varieties of actives (that are proven to work) in Asian brands -- you can find BHA and Vit C but I haven't seen a retinol.

May I ask what type of skin you have (and its issues) + what changed about it since you started your 10 step routine? I'm curious. :alpacaheadshake:

Posted

May I ask what type of skin you have (and its issues) + what changed about it since you started your 10 step routine? I'm curious. :alpacaheadshake:

I'd say dehydrated and acne-prone. On the dry-oily spectrum, I fall slightly oily -- it's not oily in the winter, and in summer, it's primarily in the T-zone. Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the hyperpigmentation after pimples, because I get a few pimples here and there that leave scars. I get eczema flare-ups some winters, but I haven't experienced it since my 10-step routine, probably because I'm keeping my skin moisturised and hydrated. I've already mentioned my skin does well with hyaluronic acid, but ceramides and snail too. 

The 10-step routine introduced me to the layering concept, which helped me keep to a regular routine of hydration and moisturising. I was using moisturisers that were heavier than I needed because I thought I had combination skin, but really, it was dehydrated. Needless to say, I wasn't adherent to moisturising at night because of the heavy creams. Makeup removal is a big difference -- I was using Lancôme Galatéis Douceur, Garnier 2 in 1 or micellar water before. Since introducing double-cleansing and exfoliation for BHA, I have better skin texture. I'm using sunscreen more frequently than I used to. 

Posted (edited)

i mainly use the korean brand atomy. my parents used to sell their products so i'm very familiar with their products LOL. here's my routine if i have makeup on AND if i'm doing face masks that night:

1. makeup wipe - i don't really care about brand for this one as long as it gets the job done
  2. deep cleanser - atomy deep cleanser
  3. normal cleanser - bliss triple oxygen instant energizing cleansing foam
  4. exfoliating mask - atomy gentle peeling mask
  5. pore tightening mask - atomy peel off mask
  6. normal cleanser - bliss triple oxygen instant energizing cleansing foam (not sure if this is good for me skin lol tell me if it's not tho)
  7. toner - atomy toner
  8. lotion - atomy lotion
  9. spot treatment - bye bye blemish

steps 1-2 is unnecessary if i don't have makeup and steps 5-6 is usually unnecessary since i only do them twice a week.

i'm also thinking of adding serums to my skincare routine since i'm extra af lol, i was thinking of buying these:

http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-100pct-organic-cold-pressed-rose-hip-seed-oil-30ml

http://theordinary.com/product/rdn-advanced-retinoid-2pct-30ml

my day routine is just cleanser, toner, sunscreen, and a lighter face lotion.

Edited by trickst3r