• Announcements

• Snowflake Banner Poll!   02/17/17

Hello everyone! Please pick your three favorite snowflakes to be put in the new banner. Thanks a lot!   

Asian Beauty/Skincare

118 posts in this topic

Posted

hello :lamaheadshake: (again lol) 
my skincare is usually just cleanse,tone,moisturize,eye cream and facemask/clay once a week  I really dont know if thats enough or what

tho im having trouble with my super oily skin ;________; im already using a cleanser for oily skin (khiel's) still after few hours my skin turns very oily 

any product suggestion for super oily skin/ for brightenin' your skin ? and also my skin is so dull my mom said maybe its because im putting alot of products to my face and im still young for those 

I also suffer from very oily skin type.. :alpacadone: if you're interested in Korean cosmetics I recommend the Wonder Pore series by Etude House, it's not too expensive and at least with me it doesn't dry out my skin. Also, if your skin getting oily during the day is a problem, use blotting paper instead of adding more powder! Blotting paper absorbs the oiliness off your skin and just layering more powder might clog your pores. I hope this was even a bit of helpful :alpacacrush:

Posted

How are you liking the Shiseido cleansing oil? I'm super interested in getting some of it since their other products have been treating my skin so nicely. 

hi, i use shiseido perfect cleansing oil. i really love it! it's mineral oil (i believe) w/ some emulsification ingredients and fragrance, so it's a very general, basic cleansing oil. unless fragrance messes w/ your skin i would reccomend it for anyone that doesn't have much experience with cleansing oils and doesn't really know which oils work and don't work for them, as mineral oil is a 0 on the comedogenic scale meaning it has no chance of clogging your pores. also it can emulsify (rinse off) without you needing another traditional cleanser to get off. I love it, it thoroughly cleanses your skin without leaving it dry or tight (assuming you moisturize soon after).

hello :lamaheadshake: (again lol) 
my skincare is usually just cleanse,tone,moisturize,eye cream and facemask/clay once a week  I really dont know if thats enough or what

tho im having trouble with my super oily skin ;________; im already using a cleanser for oily skin (khiel's) still after few hours my skin turns very oily 

any product suggestion for super oily skin/ for brightenin' your skin ? and also my skin is so dull my mom said maybe its because im putting alot of products to my face and im still young for those 

so, the reason why skin can sometimes get oily is because it's dehydrated, which means that because it does not have enough moisture it overproduces oil to compensate. you can try blotting or using powder, but the after that just make sure your drinking enough water ( also helps with dull skin!) and making sure you moisturize enough!!! 

I'm a bit confused about the second part of your question. are you asking about the tone of your skin (as in having tan skin or lighter colored skin) or general glowiness of your skin? if your skin looks dull and sad, it's probably because of old skin on the surface. To help this you should exfoiliate. Scrubs work well (3 times a week max though), but chemical exfoiliators are more effective.

Posted

hi, i use shiseido perfect cleansing oil. i really love it! it's mineral oil (i believe) w/ some emulsification ingredients and fragrance, so it's a very general, basic cleansing oil. unless fragrance messes w/ your skin i would reccomend it for anyone that doesn't have much experience with cleansing oils and doesn't really know which oils work and don't work for them, as mineral oil is a 0 on the comedogenic scale meaning it has no chance of clogging your pores. also it can emulsify (rinse off) without you needing another traditional cleanser to get off. I love it, it thoroughly cleanses your skin without leaving it dry or tight (assuming you moisturize soon after).

so, the reason why skin can sometimes get oily is because it's dehydrated, which means that because it does not have enough moisture it overproduces oil to compensate. you can try blotting or using powder, but the after that just make sure your drinking enough water ( also helps with dull skin!) and making sure you moisturize enough!!! 

I'm a bit confused about the second part of your question. are you asking about the tone of your skin (as in having tan skin or lighter colored skin) or general glowiness of your skin? if your skin looks dull and sad, it's probably because of old skin on the surface. To help this you should exfoiliate. Scrubs work well (3 times a week max though), but chemical exfoiliators are more effective.

whoops i meant tone as in toner and thanks btw! ^-^

Posted

I usually only wash my face but on days when I meeting friends and putting on makeup I use a toner and moisturizer before putting makeup on (my bb cream has spf inside already)

On nights when I feel like pampering myself I use a toner and a korean sheet mask or a deep pore cleansing mask from kiehl's.

When taking off makeup, I really love using cleansing oil because my eye makeup (mascara especially) slides right off and it isn't harsh where you have to scrub it with cleansing wipes and my super longlasting eyeliner slides off. Though sometimes I have to wash my face with a face soap again because it feels like a layer of stuff is stuck onto my face (I like my face squeaky clean)

For makeup, I tend to use Asian brands (canmake, kate, etude, 3ce) because they're good and cheaper (not ridiculously cheap) compared to western makeup (wet n wild, etc). And I would also like to claim that not all korean products contain whitening stuff. Korea is really bad in english and they come up with english terms that westerners are really confused with and misinterpret. For eye shadow,, I prefer western brands like urban decay though their colors are not always meant for daily looks (subtle). I really like japanese liquid eyeliners like k-palette, heavy rotation or the kiss me brand. Super quick to dry and smudge/waterproof. I'm still looking for a good pencil eyeliner, I'm currentlt using urban decay's mini set pencil liners which I got from a friend and they're good except they tend to smudge my lower eye at the end of the day so I have to put a darker eye shadow at the end of my eyes to blend it.

For skincare, I think Western brands take the win, though I do recommend Innisfree and their green tea related skincare items.

Posted

I've experimented so much with Asian skincare and I've gotten both horrible and amazing results. Lots of money down the trash, but good thing is that I think I've finally found the routine for me, in which I have combination skin that gets irritated for random ass reasons, hormonal cystic acne, and skin that looks dull, dark, and super tired which stemmed from my horrible sleep schedule the past few years, but I'm trying hard to set bedtimes now. Can't change what I did in the past but I can begin to improve things now.

1. In the morning, I would use any gentle foaming cleanser but if my face feels rough I'll double cleanse with oil.

2. I use MISSHA Clear Toner.

3. I use MISSHA snail cream or MISSHA Waterfull cream.

4. If I have stubborn giant acne, I would smear on a Burt's Bee's acne stick with medicine in it.

5. In the afternoon, when I feel like it or every couple weeks I might use a pure bentonite clay mask with a couple drops of ACV and maybe olive oil to suck out all the gunk and encourage blood flow. I keep it simple and only use toner after and a moisturizer or snail cream.

6. At night I use the foaming cleanser again.

7. I use the Clear Toner again.

8. I might use a sheet mask here and then use a snail cream sleeping pack after and the acne stick, especially since I bought that MEMEBOX 100 sheet masks vault box from the Black Friday sale. Because of this, using sheet masks daily only proved to me that moisturization is way more important than I thought! I love waking up to softer and better looking skin because of all the moisture from the sheet mask.

9. If no sheet mask, I use MISSHA First Treatment Essence, then the MISSHA snail cream line which has several products. I also fit in MISSHA Time Revolution Ampoule and the acne stick. I might put on eye cream but that doesn't do crap to me since my dark circles and beyond repair. I sometimes get bumps from eye cream so I'm still searching for a good one.

Yeah I'm a whore for MISSHA and pretty loyal, but ever since buying from MEMEBOX I've been going to other brands now. I'm really loving Bonvivant.

In regards to makeup, I always put on sunblock first, SPF lip balm, and then an SPF eye stick to further moisturize that area and to prevent some cakiness. These days, I like using purple primer to counteract my dull yellow skin. I use BB cream or whatever foundation since I have too many and don't want to waste it. I've also been experimenting with Pony Effect cosmetics and they feel luxurious compared to what things I used. I've never had an eyeliner that stayed on so well and drew on so well, or used such a pigmented highlighter, etc. For eye shadows, I'm a total newbie at that and I'm so blind it's hard to put it on without glasses. So, I just use my finger to smear on I'M Meme (good for beginners) and blend and hope for the best lol. And if it does look like crap I just add on more neutral shades. For the lips, I love cherry lip stains and since my lips are dark and I have a natural outline, gradient is usually a no-no. For blushes, I love MISSHA's sweet liner blushes. They feel cute with the bow puff and the shades are very subtle and buildable.

Some mistakes I've learned from (might help someone too).

Seriously do not over-exfoliate. Sure, trying to make your face look flawless and soft is a good goal and is exciting, but really do not overdo it. You will damage your skin and if you go overboard once it will hurt badly and get very irritated and could take several days to heal.

Try not to use sheet masks after doing 100 things to your face like scrubbing, clay masking, hot showering, etc. It could burn off your face and feel like a chemical burn. I know everyone is different but it is a risk to do all those steps especially if you have sensitive skin since sheet masks have tons of ingredients and can be quite intense. Best to just sheet mask after just taking a nice shower and toning the face, IMO.

Posted

Does anyone use asian serums on a regular basis? I just started to use skincare more often because I never needed it buuut lately my skin is quiete pale, dry and I get wrinkles :alpacaworry: I just started working in a huge office and use makeup regularly and often it seems to be ... fleaky? I hope this is hiw you could describe it. 

After exfoliating and stuff it got better and I just came across serums. At the moment I use ampoules against the dryness but in Asia there exist just so much more different and affordable products!

Does one use serums and can recommend a brand? I don't try to buy blindly :/ 

Posted

Does anyone use asian serums on a regular basis? I just started to use skincare more often because I never needed it buuut lately my skin is quiete pale, dry and I get wrinkles :alpacaworry: I just started working in a huge office and use makeup regularly and often it seems to be ... fleaky? I hope this is hiw you could describe it. 

After exfoliating and stuff it got better and I just came across serums. At the moment I use ampoules against the dryness but in Asia there exist just so much more different and affordable products!

hello~ 

I just started using the Innisfree minimum ampoule essence and I quite like it. It is not too thick and goes on well. I am gradually adding products to my routine (the korean 10-step one). It sells around $13 USD on amazon.I don't know where you live but if there is an Innisfree there it might be similar price or cheaper. 

Posted

I probably would have to import it but that would be okay and "price doesn't matter" like, if the results are good.

I swadly had a really good BB cream I used over a year, 2 packages full and from one day to another I kind of reacted badly to it, even though my skin is very forgiving. I could put every atomic poo on it and it wouldn't matter, therefore I am a biit careful at the moment!

Posted

I use MISSHA's Time Revolution Ampoule. It's the cheaper version of the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair, but it works just as well. My mom and I have been using it for a long time. It's quite sticky at first but then smooths out well, if you don't mind. It helps lock in moisture and prep for further skincare products. :) It also helps take care of dark acne scars a little faster and helps my face stay supple.

http://www.misshaus.com/time-revolution-night-repair-new-science-activator-ampoule-50ml.html

You can judge for yourself here~

Posted (edited)

Sounds good! My T-Zone is incredibly dry right now and locking in moisture sounds good! I might give it a try

Edit: Just looked arou7nhd the Missha page and both the Snailand Super Aqua line sound like they would do something good for my skin!

Edited by Cucumber

Posted (edited)

Sounds good! My T-Zone is incredibly dry right now and locking in moisture sounds good! I might give it a try

Edit: Just looked arou7nhd the Missha page and both the Snailand Super Aqua line sound like they would do something good for my skin!

Oh yes, I use the Snail Line! For the snail cream itself, it's a very good moisturizer (jelly like) and helpful for sensitive and irritated skin. It's very gentle (in my experience) and I use it especially when my face is inflamed. Though, it has a strong fragrance, a little floral like.

I also use the Super Aqua Waterfull Cream, it's amazing for the winter time. It's a thick facial moisturizer that locks in moisture and keeps dryness at bay pretty well. Not oily or sticky at all.

Edited by BunniSkies

Posted

cosrx is a great brand! i love their bha + aha toner it works a charm! adding a bha to your routine is usually pretty useful as it unclogs pores and prevent acne, but be sure to use sunscreen as it wrecks your skin in the sun

Posted

CosDNA is a great site for looking up ingredients on beauty products! I think they're even kind of like a go-to on the Korean Skincare scene since it's a good place to find translations of ingredients.

Does anybody have some good higher end recommendations? Mainly for Korean skincare since I'm into that right now, but I'll try something Japanese if you rave about it enough. I tried the Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence Mist and that broke me out:alpacaworry2:. I think it was because of the fermented yeast or the fact that it's an aerosol? But that made me so sad since Missha is such a trusted brand that I wanted to love sooooo badly, and a lot of their products seem to have fermented yeast in them:alpacasad:

Also I just wanna give the Son & Park Beauty Water a massive shout out since it's my HG toner:alpacacrush: