Asian Beauty/Skincare

129 posts in this topic

Posted

anyone have any thoughts on the annie's way jelly face masks? so far i've tried rose however i really want to buy the snail mask.

I'd recommend anything snail! I believe blogger fiftyshadesofsnail highly recommends it. :)

Posted

I'm in love with nature republic's aloe vera gel , I've own 3 :x I've tried lots of products, Korean and western. And my routing atm is: the face shop rice cleansing oil, the face shop rice foam (or clinique 's bar soap), biologique recherches p50 toner (this changed my life lol), dramatically different gel moisturizer by Clinique or Biotherm aquasource cream, Kiehls sunscreen if it's morning. 6 times per week I use bio oil (3 days, morning and night), and every Sunday I use one of my favorite Skin79 mask sheets. I wanna buy the face shop royal honey eye cream, essence and moisturizing cream, I tried the toner and my skin felt so good. Right now I have dry skin (I'm mixed but in Autumn it tends to be dry). I've used more but right now I'm on my phone, I will make a list with quick reviews. See ya :alpacacrush: btw I'm glad this thread exists, I'm obsessed with skin care haha 

Posted

I was wondering if it's necessary to put sunscreen under BB cream that has sun protection? :Alpacaconfused: I know it probably wouldn't be enough protection for makeup that has 15 spf or something, but my BB cream (TheFaceShop Power Perfection) has 37 spf. I'm also very careful to avoid being directly in the sun. 

Posted

I was wondering if it's necessary to put sunscreen under BB cream that has sun protection? :Alpacaconfused: I know it probably wouldn't be enough protection for makeup that has 15 spf or something, but my BB cream (TheFaceShop Power Perfection) has 37 spf. I'm also very careful to avoid being directly in the sun. 

then you don't need sunscreen. It's not about avoiding sun, those who put sunscreen as final step is because sun can stain your skin and those stains are visible when you're over 40. It also makes you age bad if you don't use sunscreen (also, sunscreen is very good for preventing premature wrinkles). If you use it, sun can be your best friend, if not, a nightmare. I've always said my skin and face are like my religion and people call me crazy because I'm not 24/7 at the beach using tanning oils  (when the crazy ones are those who do what I said) and I'm like "oookay good luck with your future cancer". Never put tanning oil to your face, n e v e r. Or body. I know pull users aren't the California girl type but if someone want to tan, just use sunscreen and patience, or tanning creams at home.

Posted (edited)

I would personally stay away from most lush cosmetics face products (love their bath products though!) since many have irritating or phototoxic ingredients. They are one of the worst brands to shop for skincare. "Natural" does not equal better. I do recommend Ultrabland cleanser if you really want to use a lush product. 

I live in Florida, and around my area there are quite a few places with skin care! let me know what area you are and I can try to recommend some places maybe. 

Etude house is OK for the most part. They have some good skin care products but it's more of a 'gimicky'/'young girl' style brand of not so serious skin care. I do like their wonder pore toner as a PH balancing toner but it is mostly a makeup only brand for me. For around the same price you can get much more effective skincare. This being said I also LOVE using fun products even if they are not very effective skin care wise. I DO love their sheet masks though, they are wonderful on my skin and some pack AMAZING ingredients for the price (the vitamin one is an example of this) 

(some) Brand wise recommendations for skincare : 

• - Cosrx- one of the best skin care brands that is affordable. Usually amazing ingridients, great formulations, very nice packaging. LOVE the acids. 
  • - Tosowoong- Too many amazing things. 
  • - Mizon- Super affordable(many under 10 bucks), tons of great products (not as hardcore as Cosrx but I love Mizon)  
  • Hada Labo- Many amazing products that are great basics. Everything under 20 bucks for the most part. 

This is my current skincare routine. Once I am off some medications which make my skin super sensitive, I will add some acids and retinoids. 

**AM**

• - Hada Labo Hyaluronic Acid Cleansing Foam (Rarely. I actually only use this if i'm feeling really 'grimy') 
  • - Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence (intensive)
  • - Rohto Hada-Labo Goku-jun Hyaluronic Milky Lotion
  • - Cosrx Glactomyces 95 White Power Essence
  • - Snail Bee High Content Essence (HG)
  • - Sheet mask *EXTRA STEP1*
  • - Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule
  • - Shara Shara Honey Bomb Ampoule( forehead only/tip of nose, but it's on hold for a month now) 
  • - Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Science Activator Ampoule (Borabit)
  • - CeraVe moisturizing lotion
  • - Cosrx Honey Ceramide Eye Cream/mizon snail eye cream
  • - Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream
  • - Mizon Returning Starfish (HG) 
  • - Cosrx Aloe Soothing Sun Cream/Biore Essence/Hada Labo UV Gel 

**PM**

• - Skinfood Black Sugar Cleansing Oil / Banila co. Cleansing sherbet (HG)
  • - Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence (intensive)
  • - Rohto Hada-Labo Goku-jun Hyaluronic Milky Lotion
  • - Cosrx Glactomyces 95 White Power Essence
  • - Snail Bee High Content Essence
  • - Sheet mask *EXTRA STEP1*
  • - Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule
  • -Shara Shara Honey Bomb Ampoule (on hold) 
  • - Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Science Activator Ampoule (Borabit)
  • - CeraVe moisturizing lotion
  • - Cosrx Honey Ceramide Eye Cream/mizon snail eye cream
  • - Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream
  • - Mizon Returning Starfish (HG) 
  • - Aquaphor all over face and lips 
  • - Sleeping pack *EXTRA STEP2*

**Extras**

Sheet mask usually 4-6 times a week. Sleeping pack usually 3 nights a week (really, it's whenever I remember haha), eye patches 2x a week, Once a month I do some super gentle physical exfoliation. 

For anyone confused, here are the basic 'steps' in an asian skincare routine 

• Emulsifying oil cleanser
  • Foaming, milk, gel, powder, or soaping cleanser
  • Chemical exfoliator(s) and/or toner
  • Essence, serums and ampoules
  • Emulsion
  • Lotion
  • Cream
  • Facial oils
  • Sunscreen

Some very important things to keep in mind with skincare. These are just a few. 

- Make sure the PH of your cleanser is in the 'good range'. Otherwise you could be damaging your skin/causing acne/etc 

- DO NOT DO NOT use overly abrasive physical exfoliation products (such as st.ives apricot scrub) or over exfoliate. You can compromise your skins natural barrier and bring bacteria into your skin. Chemical exfoliation (make sure the PH is optimal or these products will NOT exfoliate) is always better and much more gentle than physical but you can do both if you'd like. 

- No baking soda/lemons/etc on your skin. Please :c it's so bad for you 

- Do not mix anything with your sunscreen.

right now i'm using clinique for my skin care routine but i prefer lush because it's vegan and it doesn't test on animals also i have never had irritation because of it :Alpacaconfused: i guess you just have to find the right product as of course not everything is suited for your skin type.

also using a long list of products on your skin every night can be really damaging on the long run.. i recommend sticking to 3-5 products so you give your skin a breath of fresh air

Edited by peach

Posted

then you don't need sunscreen. It's not about avoiding sun, those who put sunscreen as final step is because sun can stain your skin and those stains are visible when you're over 40. It also makes you age bad if you don't use sunscreen (also, sunscreen is very good for preventing premature wrinkles). If you use it, sun can be your best friend, if not, a nightmare. I've always said my skin and face are like my religion and people call me crazy because I'm not 24/7 at the beach using tanning oils  (when the crazy ones are those who do what I said) and I'm like "oookay good luck with your future cancer". Never put tanning oil to your face, n e v e r. Or body. I know pull users aren't the California girl type but if someone want to tan, just use sunscreen and patience, or tanning creams at home.

Thank you! :alpacacrush: I'm not the type to tan anyway, haha. In fact, I do all I can to keep my skin as pale as possible lol. 

Posted

also using a long list of products on your skincare products every night can be really damaging on your skin in the long run.. i recommend sticking to 3-5 products so you give your skin a breath of fresh air

I'm very interested in this myself. Some experts rave the 10 step Korean skincare routine is the best while others say less is more. I'm currently working on my 10 step routine (introducing one product a week) and I worry if this many will do damage. TBH my skin has never looked better, though. My dark circles have diminished and I keep receiving compliments that my skin looks like I'm wearing foundation because it's so smooth and even.

Posted

I'm very interested in this myself. Some experts rave the 10 step Korean skincare routine is the best while others say less is more. I'm currently working on my 10 step routine (introducing one product a week) and I worry if this many will do damage. TBH my skin has never looked better, though. My dark circles have diminished and I keep receiving compliments that my skin looks like I'm wearing foundation because it's so smooth and even.

If you use too much products your skin will stop working on it's own and become dependent on the products, so let's say you skip two days of your skin care, the skin wont know what to do when bacteria touches it causing every single bacteria to irritate the skin. As long is it works for you it shouldn't be a problem though.

Posted (edited)

Same! My skin is super happy since I started using a Korean routine. Even though there are a lot of steps/layers, they're not heavy products. Everything I have is light and airy and I always try samples before buying.

Currently:

Cleansing Oil: The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Cleansing Light Oil

Foam Cleanser: MIZON Snail Repairing Foam Cleanser

Toner/Freshener: MISSHA Time Revolution Clear Toner

Serum/Essence:

Secret Key Eye Serum

Secret Key Honey Bee's AC Control Spot Remover for Skin

Etude House Moistfull Essence

Also: RiRe Lash Essence

Emulsion: Etude House Age Defense

Cream: Etude House Moistfull Collagen

Sleeping Pack: TCFC Fresh Gore

Primer: Etude House Face Blur

BBCream: Mizon Snail Repair

Finishing Powder: Skinfood Peach Sake

Tonymoly: Appletox & Tomatox once or twice a week . . .or when I remember

Edited by haiyuki

Posted

If you use too much products your skin will stop working on it's own and become dependent on the products, so let's say you skip two days of your skin care, the skin wont know what to do when bacteria touches it causing every single bacteria to irritate the skin. As long is it works for you it shouldn't be a problem though.

That's a very good point, Peach! Surely there's a balance somewhere in between.

Posted (edited)

It's necessary if you want actual sun protection. In order to get sun protection you must use a certain amount of sunscreen and the amount of bb cream you would need to use to get sun protection with it would be huge. Even if you are not directly in the sun you can still get sun damage! I personally use sunscreen everyday but it really is a personal choice and I would only 100% use it if you are using products/on medications that make your skin very sensitive to the sun (AHA, BHA, Vitamin C, maybe some medications, etc) to avoid chemical burns/sunburns. 

right now i'm using clinique for my skin care routine but i prefer lush because it's vegan and it doesn't test on animals also i have never had irritation because of it :Alpacaconfused: i guess you just have to find the right product as of course not everything is suited for your skin type.

also using a long list of products on your skin every night can be really damaging on the long run.. i recommend sticking to 3-5 products so you give your skin a breath of fresh air

It really depends on your skin (YMMV) but overall they aren't the best (use photo sensitizing ingredients, many irritants, many ingredients do nothing for skin,etc ) BUT they can be awesome for some people! just use what is best for you. 

Using a long list of products is not 'damaging'. Skin "doesn't" breathe, and again (YMMV: some people may be better with less products, some peoples skin gets better with more products, etc) 

It really depends on your skin. Some people may find they respond better for less things, some may respond better to more products. But in no way does it do "damage". Maybe if your skin is not suited to the products you use then you might have acne or other skin issues but nothing usually serious (unless it's an allergic reaction or something etc). 

Your skin does not stop working/become dependent on products. If this was the case, then it would be better to not even use moisturizer since skin would "stop producing" it's own moisture. Bacteria STILL touches your skin/lives in your skin even when you use facial products. In fact, using the correct facial products may help the "good" bacteria live and thrive on your skin improving you skin condition. Conversely, using the wrong products may damage your natural barrier (and let the "bad" bacteria hurt your skin! like in the case you said this is much more likely). 

Same! My skin is super happy since I started using a Korean routine. Even though there are a lot of steps/layers, they're not heavy products. Everything I have is light and airy and I always try samples before buying.

I love using light layers! works wonders for my dehydrated skin. And how do you like the peach sake powder? Is it "blurring"? 

Edited by totemoyumii

Posted

It's necessary if you want actual sun protection. In order to get sun protection you must use a certain amount of sunscreen and the amount of bb cream you would need to use to get sun protection with it would be huge. Even if you are not directly in the sun you can still get sun damage! I personally use sunscreen everyday but it really is a personal choice and I would only 100% use it if you are using products/on medications that make your skin very sensitive to the sun (AHA, BHA, Vitamin C, maybe some medications, etc) to avoid chemical burns/sunburns. 

It really depends on your skin (YMMV) but overall they aren't the best (use photo sensitizing ingredients, many irritants, many ingredients do nothing for skin,etc ) BUT they can be awesome for some people! just use what is best for you. 

Using a long list of products is not 'damaging'. Skin "doesn't" breathe, and again (YMMV: some people may be better with less products, some peoples skin gets better with more products, etc) 

It really depends on your skin. Some people may find they respond better for less things, some may respond better to more products. But in no way does it do "damage". Maybe if your skin is not suited to the products you use then you might have acne or other skin issues but nothing usually serious (unless it's an allergic reaction or something etc). 

Your skin does not stop working/become dependent on products. If this was the case, then it would be better to not even use moisturizer since skin would "stop producing" it's own moisture. Bacteria STILL touches your skin/lives in your skin even when you use facial products. In fact, using the correct facial products may help the "good" bacteria live and thrive on your skin improving you skin condition. Conversely, using the wrong products may damage your natural barrier (and let the "bad" bacteria hurt your skin! like in the case you said this is much more likely). 

I love using light layers! works wonders for my dehydrated skin. And how do you like the peach sake powder? Is it "blurring"? 

a lot of products and fatty moisturisers does clog your pores so it does some damage and when the pores are clogged it creates black heads. the skin does breathe because it has pores just like when you have a bandage on your skin become irritated because it can't breathe.

The skin has a protective barrier (the outer layer) and when you use to much products on it it will be damaged leaving it voulnerable and dependent on other products to protect it instead.

Posted

a lot of products and fatty moisturisers does clog your pores so it does some damage and when the pores are clogged it creates black heads. the skin does breathe because it has pores just like when you have a bandage on your skin become irritated because it can't breathe.

The skin has a protective barrier (the outer layer) and when you use to much products on it it will be damaged leaving it voulnerable and dependent on other products to protect it instead.

Besides one animal, mammals do not breathe through their skin at all. Your skin is not part of the respiratory system in any way. Pores do not breathe/open/close this is just a misconception or something used by marketers to tell you "this product is non comodogenic" sort of thing. Having a bandage on your skin may irritate skin because of maybe the glue in the bandage or moisture that may stay in the bandage/bacteria but nothing to do with "breathing". The skins protective layer is NOT damaged by using many products (maybe in some people, YMMV) but more so by using incorrect products (over drying, wrong ph, etc). It does not "become more vulnerable" when you take care of it. 

None of that is true in any way D:

Posted

Since this thread is active again, can I ask for some tips on Emulsion? :Alpacaconfused:

I'm currently using Etude House Age Defense Emulsion and if I use it more than once a day, my skin gets way too slick in feeling and appearance. I get that Koreans like the "dewy/glowy" look but I don't think it's even that. I cut it down to once a day and it feels/looks better but just curious if I should be switching to something else?

Posted

Besides one animal, mammals do not breathe through their skin at all. Your skin is not part of the respiratory system in any way. Pores do not breathe/open/close this is just a misconception or something used by marketers to tell you "this product is non comodogenic" sort of thing. Having a bandage on your skin may irritate skin because of maybe the glue in the bandage or moisture that may stay in the bandage/bacteria but nothing to do with "breathing". The skins protective layer is NOT damaged by using many products (maybe in some people, YMMV) but more so by using incorrect products (over drying, wrong ph, etc). It does not "become more vulnerable" when you take care of it. 

None of that is true in any way D:

that just contradicts everything i learned in biology but if you say so