• Announcements

• Snowflake Banner Poll!   02/17/17

Hello everyone! Please pick your three favorite snowflakes to be put in the new banner. Thanks a lot!   

Asian Beauty/Skincare

118 posts in this topic

Posted

Omg I use exactly St Ives apricot scrub!! It's one of the few products I can find without whitening chemicals here. What is a good alternative?

whitening chemicals? what do you mean by this? 

Most skin "whitening" products are really "brightening". They do not bleach your skin or whiten your skin. They help reverse any sun damage/sun damage darkening/scars etc. Bleaching products are the ones that "whiten" you skin and can be dangerous. 

How often do you use this scrub? is this your 'exfoliator' in your routine? For an exfoliator I would recommend a sugar scrub, konjac sponges, microfiber clothes, or products with jojoba beads. I would limit physical exfoliation to as little as posisble. I really recommend chemical exfoliation as physical is usually uneven, can cause pigmentation issues, damage the skins' barrier, or cause more acne. 

also here is a source explaining why St.Ives is horrible for your skin ( I used to use this too!) 

Posted (edited)

I would personally stay away from most lush cosmetics face products (love their bath products though!) since many have irritating or phototoxic ingredients. They are one of the worst brands to shop for skincare. "Natural" does not equal better. I do recommend Ultrabland cleanser if you really want to use a lush product. 

I live in Florida, and around my area there are quite a few places with skin care! let me know what area you are and I can try to recommend some places maybe. 

Etude house is OK for the most part. They have some good skin care products but it's more of a 'gimicky'/'young girl' style brand of not so serious skin care. I do like their wonder pore toner as a PH balancing toner but it is mostly a makeup only brand for me. For around the same price you can get much more effective skincare. This being said I also LOVE using fun products even if they are not very effective skin care wise. I DO love their sheet masks though, they are wonderful on my skin and some pack AMAZING ingredients for the price (the vitamin one is an example of this) 

(some) Brand wise recommendations for skincare : 

• - Cosrx- one of the best skin care brands that is affordable. Usually amazing ingridients, great formulations, very nice packaging. LOVE the acids. 
  • - Tosowoong- Too many amazing things. 
  • - Mizon- Super affordable(many under 10 bucks), tons of great products (not as hardcore as Cosrx but I love Mizon)  
  • Hada Labo- Many amazing products that are great basics. Everything under 20 bucks for the most part. 

This is my current skincare routine. Once I am off some medications which make my skin super sensitive, I will add some acids and retinoids. 

**AM**

• - Hada Labo Hyaluronic Acid Cleansing Foam (Rarely. I actually only use this if i'm feeling really 'grimy') 
  • - Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence (intensive)
  • - Rohto Hada-Labo Goku-jun Hyaluronic Milky Lotion
  • - Cosrx Glactomyces 95 White Power Essence
  • - Snail Bee High Content Essence (HG)
  • - Sheet mask *EXTRA STEP1*
  • - Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule
  • - Shara Shara Honey Bomb Ampoule( forehead only/tip of nose, but it's on hold for a month now) 
  • - Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Science Activator Ampoule (Borabit)
  • - CeraVe moisturizing lotion
  • - Cosrx Honey Ceramide Eye Cream/mizon snail eye cream
  • - Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream
  • - Mizon Returning Starfish (HG) 
  • - Cosrx Aloe Soothing Sun Cream/Biore Essence/Hada Labo UV Gel 

**PM**

• - Skinfood Black Sugar Cleansing Oil / Banila co. Cleansing sherbet (HG)
  • - Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence (intensive)
  • - Rohto Hada-Labo Goku-jun Hyaluronic Milky Lotion
  • - Cosrx Glactomyces 95 White Power Essence
  • - Snail Bee High Content Essence
  • - Sheet mask *EXTRA STEP1*
  • - Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule
  • -Shara Shara Honey Bomb Ampoule (on hold) 
  • - Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Science Activator Ampoule (Borabit)
  • - CeraVe moisturizing lotion
  • - Cosrx Honey Ceramide Eye Cream/mizon snail eye cream
  • - Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream
  • - Mizon Returning Starfish (HG) 
  • - Aquaphor all over face and lips 
  • - Sleeping pack *EXTRA STEP2*

**Extras**

Sheet mask usually 4-6 times a week. Sleeping pack usually 3 nights a week (really, it's whenever I remember haha), eye patches 2x a week, Once a month I do some super gentle physical exfoliation. 

For anyone confused, here are the basic 'steps' in an asian skincare routine 

• Emulsifying oil cleanser
  • Foaming, milk, gel, powder, or soaping cleanser
  • Chemical exfoliator(s) and/or toner
  • Essence, serums and ampoules
  • Emulsion
  • Lotion
  • Cream
  • Facial oils
  • Sunscreen

Some very important things to keep in mind with skincare. These are just a few. 

- Make sure the PH of your cleanser is in the 'good range'. Otherwise you could be damaging your skin/causing acne/etc 

- DO NOT DO NOT use overly abrasive physical exfoliation products (such as st.ives apricot scrub) or over exfoliate. You can compromise your skins natural barrier and bring bacteria into your skin. Chemical exfoliation (make sure the PH is optimal or these products will NOT exfoliate) is always better and much more gentle than physical but you can do both if you'd like. 

- No baking soda/lemons/etc on your skin. Please :c it's so bad for you 

- Do not mix anything with your sunscreen.

@totemoyumii

Totemo~~~

You're back! :alpacacrush:

Edited by haiyuki

Posted

I live in Florida, and around my area there are quite a few places with skin care! let me know what area you are and I can try to recommend some places maybe. 

I live around the Orlando area (so like, Clermont, Apopka, Kissimmee are all within reach). I'm still pretty new to Florida, so I'm so clueless.

Posted (edited)

whitening chemicals? what do you mean by this? 

Most skin "whitening" products are really "brightening". They do not bleach your skin or whiten your skin. They help reverse any sun damage/sun damage darkening/scars etc. Bleaching products are the ones that "whiten" you skin and can be dangerous. 

How often do you use this scrub? is this your 'exfoliator' in your routine? For an exfoliator I would recommend a sugar scrub, konjac sponges, microfiber clothes, or products with jojoba beads. I would limit physical exfoliation to as little as posisble. I really recommend chemical exfoliation as physical is usually uneven, can cause pigmentation issues, damage the skins' barrier, or cause more acne. 

also here is a source explaining why St.Ives is horrible for your skin ( I used to use this too!) 

Thanks for clarification on whitening vs brightening. The bottles always say things like "pure white" etc so I called it whitening. Brightening is probably what they really mean. 

I use to use St Ives once a day but followed the bottle that said up it to two times a day once your skin adjusts! :stoplz: My reason for using this is my nose gets lots of blackheads and peely if I do not exfoliate once a day. So a sugar scrub would work best?

ETA: What chemical exfoliator would you recommend? They should pay you 'cause I'm about to buy many new products!

Edited by Siwon

Posted

@totemoyumii

Totemo~~~

You're back! :alpacacrush:

Hello! happy to see this thread AGAIN haha...

I live around the Orlando area (so like, Clermont, Apopka, Kissimmee are all within reach). I'm still pretty new to Florida, so I'm so clueless.

Here is one store in Orlando that has quite a bit of asian beauty products such as masks, facial toners, facial washes, bath products, hair products, etc. I would just search around for local asian markets since they tend to have a beauty section (if you are unsure search on google or yelp, sometimes reviews talk about these sections/there are pictures so you can check). 

Thanks for clarification on whitening vs brightening. The bottles always say things like "pure white" etc so I called it whitening. Brightening is probably what they really mean. 

I use to use St Ives once a day but followed the bottle that said up it to two times a day once your skin adjusts! :stoplz: My reason for using this is my nose gets lots of blackheads and peely if I do not exfoliate once a day. So a sugar scrub would work best?

ETA: What chemical exfoliator would you recommend? They should pay you 'cause I'm about to buy many new products!

No problem. Those "whitening" products (aka brightening) really make your skin look very nice, and give a 'glow' to it. I suggest using them if you want more clear/even/bright skin. 

You most likely do not have "blackheads" in your nose but "sebaceous filaments". These can NEVER be permanetly removed from your nose/face and they are natural/normal. You can REDUCE the appearance of them with chemical exfoliation or with a mask/chem exfoliation/oil cleanse combo . I also do not recommend pore strips to remove these as this can damage the pore and cause it to permanently enlarge and can even break some capillaries. 

Pics for comparison: 

Sebaceous filaments

Blackheads

I personally use Skinfood's Black Sugar Strawberry sugar scrub. I use this maybe once every two weeks VERY lightly. I know how addicting scrubbing is (and let me tell you, I used to scrub the sh*t out of my skin back in the day with that apricot scrub) but it's not very good for our skin ~sigh. 

What is your skin type? It may be dehydrated (peely) due to over washing/exfoliating. Keep in mind you can have dry dehydrated skin or oily dehydrated skin, etc. Dehydrated skin is a skin condition VS a skin type (oily, dry, normal, combo, etc) 

Hope the links help you :D 

Posted

No problem. Those "whitening" products (aka brightening) really make your skin look very nice, and give a 'glow' to it. I suggest using them if you want more clear/even/bright skin. 

You most likely do not have "blackheads" in your nose but "sebaceous filaments". These can NEVER be permanetly removed from your nose/face and they are natural/normal. You can REDUCE the appearance of them with chemical exfoliation or with a mask/chem exfoliation/oil cleanse combo . I also do not recommend pore strips to remove these as this can damage the pore and cause it to permanently enlarge and can even break some capillaries. 

Pics for comparison: 

Sebaceous filaments

Blackheads

I personally use Skinfood's Black Sugar Strawberry sugar scrub. I use this maybe once every two weeks VERY lightly. I know how addicting scrubbing is (and let me tell you, I used to scrub the sh*t out of my skin back in the day with that apricot scrub) but it's not very good for our skin ~sigh. 

What is your skin type? It may be dehydrated (peely) due to over washing/exfoliating. Keep in mind you can have dry dehydrated skin or oily dehydrated skin, etc. Dehydrated skin is a skin condition VS a skin type (oily, dry, normal, combo, etc) 

Hope the links help you :D 

Thank you so much for taking the time to educate me and help!! You are a guardian angel! :megusta: 

Reading up on the differences, seems BHA is the chemical exfoliate for me as opposed to AHA. I am looking to combat blackheads and oily skin more than sun damage and uneven skin. (I'm complimented for my even looking skin and I avoid the sun) Any specific brand in mind? 

Seems I'm cursed with blackheads and SF. :/ 

Posted

im currently using this not so popular korean brand, secret key. their starting treatment essence is my holy grail TBH. :alpacalove:

it's kinda the dupe for SKII FTE with a waaayyy cheaper/affordable price.

idk if you can get your hands on that brand but it seems that more and more kbeauty brand are releasing essence type product that are similar to SKII FTE.

tony moly have their Galactomyces (the name of the main ingredient, SKII too) essence.

missha also have their time revolution essence with galactomyces too.

i think you can get AB prods on kbeauty online shops such as ibuybeauty or memebox :lamaheadshake:

Posted (edited)

I received a Secret Key eye serum in my 3bbox this month & I love it. I didn't realize it was considered "unpopular", I thought Mizon was unpopular, though, haha.

I'm feeling very experimental and ready to try new things, but I'm also totally broke so . . .

I just purchased a Secret Box, which contains over 30 samples for $8-$10. Has anyone else ever bought one of these? Apparently, they sell them on a website called eopenmarket, which sells Korean beauty products (just found it yesterday-does anyone know if it is reputable?), but I bought mine on ebay.

Current routine is really uninspired, I only have 7 or 8 steps. 

Cleanse (I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide which oil cleanser & foaming wash set I should buy, as I'm still using American products. What's worse is that I can't find the pH information of my current wash & scrub ANYWHERE)

Tone/Freshen/Soften: Etude House Wonder Pore

Serum/Essence: Secret Key Eye Serum & The Face Shop Blanclouding Moisture Serum

Emulsion: Skinfood Gold Caviar

Eye/Neck Cream: Etude House Age Defense

Cream: Etude House Moistfull Collagen

Sleeping Pack: TCFS Fresh Gore or TONYMOLY Banana

And random masks two or three times a week.

Morning routine is the same, except I switch out sleeping pack for :

Primer: Etude House Face Blur

BB Cream: Mizon Snail Repair BB

Finishing Powder: Skinfood Peach Sake

Weekly Whitening/Brightening/Peel:

TONYMOLY Tomatox/Appletox

For the Record, I love Etude House because it is affordable, accessible, and cute. Though I have finally switched out of using an EH-heavy routine(because it's so cheap to buy a whole kit!) I still LOVE their Moistfull Cream more than anything else by anyone else.

My boyfriend always jokes that I could make a sandwich with all the food-esque products I put on my face. :alpacafedup:

Mmm, banana, apple, peach, tomato, caviar, & snail sandwich.

Edited by haiyuki

Posted

Thank you @totemoyumii!!! <3

<3 glad to help 

im currently using this not so popular korean brand, secret key. their starting treatment essence is my holy grail TBH. :alpacalove:

it's kinda the dupe for SKII FTE with a waaayyy cheaper/affordable price.

idk if you can get your hands on that brand but it seems that more and more kbeauty brand are releasing essence type product that are similar to SKII FTE.

tony moly have their Galactomyces (the name of the main ingredient, SKII too) essence.

missha also have their time revolution essence with galactomyces too.

i think you can get AB prods on kbeauty online shops such as ibuybeauty or memebox :lamaheadshake:

I love these whitening style essences. In terms of effectiveness I would say the Cosrx is a favorite of mine or the Missha FTE (this a very close "dupe" of the SKII FTE.) Mizon also has a FTE but I don't like the ingredients as much. Yeah, Secret Key is less talking about but they do have some nice products!

I received a Secret Key eye serum in my 3bbox this month & I love it. I didn't realize it was considered "unpopular", I thought Mizon was unpopular, though, haha.

I'm feeling very experimental and ready to try new things, but I'm also totally broke so . . .

I just purchased a Secret Box, which contains over 30 samples for $8-$10. Has anyone else ever bought one of these? Apparently, they sell them on a website called eopenmarket, which sells Korean beauty products (just found it yesterday-does anyone know if it is reputable?), but I bought mine on ebay.

Current routine is really uninspired, I only have 7 or 8 steps. 

Cleanse (I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide which oil cleanser & foaming wash set I should buy, as I'm still using American products. What's worse is that I can't find the pH information of my current wash & scrub ANYWHERE)

Tone/Freshen/Soften: Etude House Wonder Pore

Serum/Essence: Secret Key Eye Serum & The Face Shop Blanclouding Moisture Serum

Emulsion: Skinfood Gold Caviar

Eye/Neck Cream: Etude House Age Defense

Cream: Etude House Moistfull Collagen

Sleeping Pack: TCFS Fresh Gore or TONYMOLY Banana

And random masks two or three times a week.

Morning routine is the same, except I switch out sleeping pack for :

Primer: Etude House Face Blur

BB Cream: Mizon Snail Repair BB

Finishing Powder: Skinfood Peach Sake

Weekly Whitening/Brightening/Peel:

TONYMOLY Tomatox/Appletox

For the Record, I love Etude House because it is affordable, accessible, and cute. Though I have finally switched out of using an EH-heavy routine(because it's so cheap to buy a whole kit!) I still LOVE their Moistfull Cream more than anything else by anyone else.

My boyfriend always jokes that I could make a sandwich with all the food-esque products I put on my face. :alpacafedup:

Mmm, banana, apple, peach, tomato, caviar, & snail sandwich.

I wouldn't say Mizon is unpopular at all. Not in the US based asian beauty communities. It's one of those low cost product style companies that generally you can find some good ingredients or formulations. 

I've never tried one of those sample boxes, I'm so picky when it comes to facial products (I could break out more! wah :c) that I usually buy only one or two specialized samples from RRS or something. BUT if you are adventures it seems cool to try it out imo. 

How do you like the Etude House face blur? I'm super interested in getting it 

What face wash are you using? what would you interested in looking for a face wash? Since you like skin food you could try their black sugar face wash (smells like sweet lemonade! also only 6 bucks :D ). I also suggest Hada Labo foaming wash (like I said above I think) as a second cleanser. You could also skip the second cleanser if you want, especially if your skin is dehydrated  (condition) or dry (skin type)

Posted (edited)

<3 glad to help 

I love these whitening style essences. In terms of effectiveness I would say the Cosrx is a favorite of mine or the Missha FTE (this a very close "dupe" of the SKII FTE.) Mizon also has a FTE but I don't like the ingredients as much. Yeah, Secret Key is less talking about but they do have some nice products!

I wouldn't say Mizon is unpopular at all. Not in the US based asian beauty communities. It's one of those low cost product style companies that generally you can find some good ingredients or formulations. 

I've never tried one of those sample boxes, I'm so picky when it comes to facial products (I could break out more! wah :c) that I usually buy only one or two specialized samples from RRS or something. BUT if you are adventures it seems cool to try it out imo. 

How do you like the Etude House face blur? I'm super interested in getting it 

What face wash are you using? what would you interested in looking for a face wash? Since you like skin food you could try their black sugar face wash (smells like sweet lemonade! also only 6 bucks :D ). I also suggest Hada Labo foaming wash (like I said above I think) as a second cleanser. You could also skip the second cleanser if you want, especially if your skin is dehydrated  (condition) or dry (skin type)

I think I just thought Mizon was unpopular because I never see it promoted. I love their products, though, who knew snail goo was such a wonderful beauty supply?

I understand your apprehension. :c I think I'm just willing to try anything to find my perfect skincare "fit". I don't have difficult skin but my goal is to simplify everything and know what works for my skin. So, I'm giving everything a fair shot. 

I LOVE Face Blur, I will definitely buy it again. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like a light moisturizer as well as a primer? It makes me glow and it kind of allows me to use less bbcream. It smells nice, too, but everything but EH does. SPF is just a bonus. 

I am using Peter Lamas pumpkin scrub and citrus cleanser set. It's higher end, I guess (like almost $20 a bottle- but I got them for $22 together on sale) and it says "pH balanced" but lots of companies bullshit that, lol. There's virtually no information about it on the internet. I honestly just bought it because of the good reviews and I thought it would be refreshing to wake up to a citrus smell, haha. 

I am thinking of going with Skinfood for my cleanser/foam set, and their scrub for every so often. I want try the generic oil cleanser & foam wash routine because I think it would be ideal for my skin type and I've never tried it. I've read sooooo many good reviews on Skinfood's strawberry/lemon/honey scrubs, but lemon seems really up my alley. 

I have combination skin, so, meh. Stuff works for part of my face & doesn't for another. As a result, I usually cleanse it all the same but I moisturize and apply products differently because of it. Like. . . my cheeks get really dry so instead of finishing powder, I use a spf-infused finishing spray on them(looking for an Asian alternative, but I've been using COOLA, I received it a subscription box. It's sort of uncomfortable, like I'm spraying hairspray on my face. O.o) and a finishing powder on my more oily areas (forehead/chin/nose). I'm always willing to try new things, though!

I had only just started looking into Hada Labo when the last forum tanked, so I'll read into that today. I think that's cheaper than Skinfood and that might just be the best selling point, lol. I need to do some reading on Cosrx, too. Thanks for introducing me to a few new things! 

Edited by haiyuki

Posted (edited)

What's the best site to buy Etude House products?

Edited by Siwon

Posted

I've heard that EH's face blur is not as good as the hype its just like "meh its ok" said my friend who tired it.

i think ibuybeauty? Since my friend shop there a lot. I usually buy them directly from the shop since they have it where i live.

Posted

I would buy from Rose Rose Shop!

Posted

Finished my purchase from Rose Rose Shop! Just wanted to say as far as price goes, I recommend it already. A lot of the face masks they have I see everywhere here in Asia for the same price! Seems the pricing is very reasonable and fair.