• Announcements

• Snowflake Banner Poll!   02/17/17

Hello everyone! Please pick your three favorite snowflakes to be put in the new banner. Thanks a lot!   

Asian Beauty/Skincare

116 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay, third time's a charm.

Asian skincare and beauty has a large focus on the cleansing, treatment, preparation of the skin. There are usually many steps and include mini-massages to promote blood circulation, help with relaxation (or to wake you up!), and to blend products.

Do you follow an Asian beauty routine?

What Asian beauty products do you use?

Do you find that they work better than your native (unless, of course, you live in an Asian country. :)) counterparts?

Do you follow any AB blogs?

You can also post your hauls, beauty questions, suggestions, & tips here!

The timing on this worked out in my favor because I went on a beauty haul and can post my new routine later. I typically use Korean products because I follow a Korean skincare routine, but I am open to trying basically anything that can be easily switched into my skincare regimen. 

In the meantime, I shop here: 

Full-size products:

RoseRoseShop

http://www.roseroseshop.com/

They take a big long to ship, but their prices are wonderful. Sometimes they have sales where shipping is free, which is basically a steal because shipping is calculated by weight. Sometimes I pay almost as much in shipping as I do in product.

Amazon also has a decent selection, and now they have section dedicated just to Korean beauty products:

http://www.amazon.com/Korean-Beauty-Store-Skin-Care-Makeup-Hair-Care-Bath-Body/b?ie=UTF8&node=11585018011&ref=spkl_4_0_2103601122&qid=1439391922&pf_rd_p=2103601122&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_s=desktop-auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=1SVJJ7VQ4210Y44GRYXG&pf_rd_i=korean+beauty

Subscription Service:

I've also JUST gotten off the subscription wait list for this Asian Beauty service, I haven't received my first bag/box yet, but I'll be posting here what I receive once I do!- $12 month for 4-5 Asian full-sized or deluxe-sized sample products:

https://the3bbox.com/

Masks & Samples:

I buy a lot of masks on ebay as well, and random sample packs for around $12-15 for 20-30 samples. 

Sometimes www.yesstyle.com has deals on these as well.

Questions?

Has anyone tried http://www.beauteque.com/? They have both full-size products and send out monthly bags/boxes.

I just found it today and while the prices are bit steep for a monthly box (but they have many products in each one!), the monthly mask set sounds amazing.

Posted

I just wanted to share this magical product !! :alpacacrush:

e382b9e382afe383aae383bce383b3e382b7e383

It's this Japanese "Cure" Natural Aqua Gel! It's a gel that you rub onto your skin, and it exfoliates and takes off all your dead skin, it's a really great alternative to exfoliating with a tool which can be harsh, i found it to be really amazing x3

Posted

I've seen really great reviews on that stuff on Amazon, it's actually a  best seller. 

Unfortunately, I've never tried it because it's like $30 a bottle. :Alpacamad:

Posted

Can we also ask opinions on products? :alpacacrush:

Any thoughts on the Korean brand Etude House?

Posted

I use a lot of nature's republic stuff. Mixed with some western products. I'm okay with most korean products. But I get migraines really easily so some of the stuff is a little too perfumy :feelsbad:

Posted

Ugh. I wish Asian products were a lot more accessible in America, because they are just so much better than the shit here in the States.

Posted

I've seen really great reviews on that stuff on Amazon, it's actually a  best seller. 

Unfortunately, I've never tried it because it's like $30 a bottle. :Alpacamad:

It sounds a lot like DET Clear. Same concept: gentle, gel exfoliator, and a lot cheaper. It works pretty well.

Posted (edited)

Any thoughts on the Korean brand Etude House? I'm hearing great things about it! I have a set skincare routine that works with the Thai products I buy here in Vietnam but I'm looking to take my skin to the next level and I hear Korean products are the way to go.

personalliy i love etude house even though it can seem a bit overrated ! Everything I have tried from them so far I really love and you can find it super cheap on ebay ^_^ 

as for skincare, i use their clay pore mask (this one) and I really like it, it leaves my skin feeling really soft

Edited by bunny

Posted

I recommend Klairs. I haven't tried it myself (I will next paycheck lol) but it's one of the most popular and pretty affordable Korean skincare brands out there. It's getting a lot of media attention lately. 

I recommend buying from https://www.wishtrend.com a lot of my blogger friends have purchased from there and had really good experiences. 

I wish memebox did international shipping again :( i really wanted to try it out 

Posted

etude house and holika holika are my favs!! when i went to korea the etude house shops were everywhere

btw the pictures are from my blog

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

Posted (edited)

Ugh. I wish Asian products were a lot more accessible in America, because they are just so much better than the shit here in the States.

they are but it depends where you live. I guess it's if you have a huge Asian population? Obviously California has some stores but here in Texas (mainly Houston) we have stores like Liole and the Face Shop (and the face shop has its own mini store in the middle of a mall) 

Speaking of Lioele, does this asian beauty thread also pertain to makeup like bb/cc creams? If not my little banter will be in a spoiler

I actually own a CC cream from Lioele and i really like it! It's the Dollish cera-v cc cream. it's color changing so it fits a few different shades (it has brightening effects though, so it might appear a shade lighter and it has a dewy finish. It does take a bit to oxidize and isn't very comfortable to go out in the heat if you don't wait for it to dry. I have "normal" skin and it's not very oily (unless, once again, i don't let it oxidize and dry). It especially feels matte and more comfortable when combined with a primer of some sort. if you don't have a primer, a setting/translucent powder will make it feel matte but only if the cc cream is done drying. 

As I've mentioned in the tonymoly thread, I use their golden egg pore balm and it acts like a primer. i haven't noticed any drastic change but it does cover some pores a lil and makes my makeup feel matte 

an asian beauty and cosmetics reviewer i recommend is elainemokk on youtube! though she does ramble a bit, she's very thorough with her reviews. 

i've always wanted to get into using a asian skincare routine but it just seems too tedious and pricey if i don't break out too much. What's a good basic/starter skincare routine?

Edited by PurinPrincess

Posted

I live in either New Jersey or Florida, so no Asian products for me hahaha.

Posted

Does anyone of you have experiences with Asian Beauty routine and Lush Cosmetics? I know Lush is a UK brand, but I think they work quite well for a "layered" beauty routine (e. g. foam cleanse, toner, cream + SPF in the morning / exfoliation, oil cleanse, skin massage, toner, serum, eyecream in the evening) and use a lot of natural ingredients.

I am a huge fan of the face serum Full of Grace, it's really great for a skin masssage. Also, it's cruelty free and you can get the products in Europe and USA ^_^

What does your beauty routine look like? 

Posted (edited)

Does anyone of you have experiences with Asian Beauty routine and Lush Cosmetics? 

I would personally stay away from most lush cosmetics face products (love their bath products though!) since many have irritating or phototoxic ingredients. They are one of the worst brands to shop for skincare. "Natural" does not equal better. I do recommend Ultrabland cleanser if you really want to use a lush product. 

I live in either New Jersey or Florida, so no Asian products for me hahaha.

I live in Florida, and around my area there are quite a few places with skin care! let me know what area you are and I can try to recommend some places maybe. 

Any thoughts on the Korean brand Etude House? I'm hearing great things about it! I have a set skincare routine that works with the Thai products I buy here in Vietnam but I'm looking to take my skin to the next level and I hear Korean products are the way to go.

Etude house is OK for the most part. They have some good skin care products but it's more of a 'gimicky'/'young girl' style brand of not so serious skin care. I do like their wonder pore toner as a PH balancing toner but it is mostly a makeup only brand for me. For around the same price you can get much more effective skincare. This being said I also LOVE using fun products even if they are not very effective skin care wise. I DO love their sheet masks though, they are wonderful on my skin and some pack AMAZING ingredients for the price (the vitamin one is an example of this) 

(some) Brand wise recommendations for skincare : 

• - Cosrx- one of the best skin care brands that is affordable. Usually amazing ingridients, great formulations, very nice packaging. LOVE the acids. 
  • - Tosowoong- Too many amazing things. 
  • - Mizon- Super affordable(many under 10 bucks), tons of great products (not as hardcore as Cosrx but I love Mizon)  
  • Hada Labo- Many amazing products that are great basics. Everything under 20 bucks for the most part. 

This is my current skincare routine. Once I am off some medications which make my skin super sensitive, I will add some acids and retinoids. 

**AM**

• - Hada Labo Hyaluronic Acid Cleansing Foam (Rarely. I actually only use this if i'm feeling really 'grimy') 
  • - Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence (intensive)
  • - Rohto Hada-Labo Goku-jun Hyaluronic Milky Lotion
  • - Cosrx Glactomyces 95 White Power Essence
  • - Snail Bee High Content Essence (HG)
  • - Sheet mask *EXTRA STEP1*
  • - Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule
  • - Shara Shara Honey Bomb Ampoule( forehead only/tip of nose, but it's on hold for a month now) 
  • - Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Science Activator Ampoule (Borabit)
  • - CeraVe moisturizing lotion
  • - Cosrx Honey Ceramide Eye Cream/mizon snail eye cream
  • - Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream
  • - Mizon Returning Starfish (HG) 
  • - Cosrx Aloe Soothing Sun Cream/Biore Essence/Hada Labo UV Gel 

**PM**

• - Skinfood Black Sugar Cleansing Oil / Banila co. Cleansing sherbet (HG)
  • - Snail Bee High Content Essence
  • - Sheet mask *EXTRA STEP1*
  • -Shara Shara Honey Bomb Ampoule (on hold) 
  • - Mizon Returning Starfish (HG) 
  • - Aquaphor all over face and lips 
  • - Sleeping pack *EXTRA STEP2*

**Extras**

Sheet mask usually 4-6 times a week. Sleeping pack usually 3 nights a week (really, it's whenever I remember haha), eye patches 2x a week, Once a month I do some super gentle physical exfoliation. 

For anyone confused, here are the basic 'steps' in an asian skincare routine 

• Emulsifying oil cleanser
  • Foaming, milk, gel, powder, or soaping cleanser
  • Chemical exfoliator(s) and/or toner
  • Essence, serums and ampoules
  • Emulsion
  • Lotion
  • Cream
  • Facial oils
  • Sunscreen

Some very important things to keep in mind with skincare. These are just a few. 

- Make sure the PH of your cleanser is in the 'good range'. Otherwise you could be damaging your skin/causing acne/etc 

- DO NOT DO NOT use overly abrasive physical exfoliation products (such as st.ives apricot scrub) or over exfoliate. You can compromise your skins natural barrier and bring bacteria into your skin. Chemical exfoliation (make sure the PH is optimal or these products will NOT exfoliate) is always better and much more gentle than physical but you can do both if you'd like. 

- No baking soda/lemons/etc on your skin. Please :c it's so bad for you 

- Do not mix anything with your sunscreen.

Edited by totemoyumii

Posted

I would personally stay away from most lush cosmetics face products (love their bath products though!) since many have irritating or phototoxic ingredients. They are one of the worst brands to shop for skincare. "Natural" does not equal better. I do recommend Ultrabland cleanser if you really want to use a lush product. 

I live in Florida, and around my area there are quite a few places with skin care! let me know what area you are and I can try to recommend some places maybe. 

Etude house is OK for the most part. They have some good skin care products but it's more of a 'gimicky'/'young girl' style brand of not so serious skin care. I do like their wonder pore toner as a PH balancing toner but it is mostly a makeup only brand for me. For around the same price you can get much more effective skincare. This being said I also LOVE using fun products even if they are not very effective skin care wise. I DO love their sheet masks though, they are wonderful on my skin and some pack AMAZING ingredients for the price (the vitamin one is an example of this) 

(some) Brand wise recommendations for skincare : 

• - Cosrx- one of the best skin care brands that is affordable. Usually amazing ingridients, great formulations, very nice packaging. LOVE the acids. 
  • - Tosowoong- Too many amazing things. 
  • - Mizon- Super affordable(many under 10 bucks), tons of great products (not as hardcore as Cosrx but I love Mizon)  
  • Hada Labo- Many amazing products that are great basics. Everything under 20 bucks for the most part. 

This is my current skincare routine. Once I am off some medications which make my skin super sensitive, I will add some acids and retinoids. 

**AM**

• - Hada Labo Hyaluronic Acid Cleansing Foam (Rarely. I actually only use this if i'm feeling really 'grimy') 
  • - Snail Bee High Content Essence (HG)
  • - Sheet mask *EXTRA STEP1*
  • - Shara Shara Honey Bomb Ampoule( forehead only/tip of nose, but it's on hold for a month now) 
  • - Mizon Returning Starfish (HG) 
  • - Cosrx Aloe Soothing Sun Cream/Biore Essence/Hada Labo UV Gel 

**PM**

• - Skinfood Black Sugar Cleansing Oil / Banila co. Cleansing sherbet (HG)
  • - Snail Bee High Content Essence
  • - Sheet mask *EXTRA STEP1*
  • -Shara Shara Honey Bomb Ampoule (on hold) 
  • - Mizon Returning Starfish (HG) 
  • - Aquaphor all over face and lips 
  • - Sleeping pack *EXTRA STEP2*

**Extras**

Sheet mask usually 4-6 times a week. Sleeping pack usually 3 nights a week (really, it's whenever I remember haha), eye patches 2x a week, Once a month I do some super gentle physical exfoliation. 

For anyone confused, here are the basic 'steps' in an asian skincare routine 

• Emulsifying oil cleanser
  • Foaming, milk, gel, powder, or soaping cleanser
  • Chemical exfoliator(s) and/or toner
  • Essence, serums and ampoules
  • Emulsion
  • Lotion
  • Cream
  • Facial oils
  • Sunscreen

Some very important things to keep in mind with skincare. These are just a few. 

- Make sure the PH of your cleanser is in the 'good range'. Otherwise you could be damaging your skin/causing acne/etc 

- DO NOT DO NOT use overly abrasive physical exfoliation products (such as st.ives apricot scrub) or over exfoliate. You can compromise your skins natural barrier and bring bacteria into your skin. Chemical exfoliation (make sure the PH is optimal or these products will NOT exfoliate) is always better and much more gentle than physical but you can do both if you'd like. 

- No baking soda/lemons/etc on your skin. Please :c it's so bad for you 

- Do not mix anything with your sunscreen.

Omg I use exactly St Ives apricot scrub!! It's one of the few products I can find without whitening chemicals here. What is a good alternative?