• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Ever felt envy over an online personality?

93 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, my name is Jellyfish, and today... *takes a deep breath* today I felt envy over an online personality.

Yes, you read right :[ I felt envy and anger. And above all, I felt confused.

You see, I am subscribed to this online personality that makes videos once every few weeks/days (not a regular) about things regarding her life, her hobbies and places she visits (mostly because she was invited to them: conventions, conferences, etc.) And yesterday she uploaded a video asking for money to buy two ticket planes (one for her and one for her camera man/romantic partner) to travel to Poland and attend a thematic boarding school for four days. She was invited to enroll there, but had no money to travel so she asked her fans to help her...the funny -frustrating- part was that in less than 24 hours she already has enough money for herself and her companion.

WHAT?

I mean, I don't think this could ever happen in real life : / The only way I can picture something like this happening outside of being a Youtube personality is if you work for a business, research institute or organization which asks you to travel somewhere in order to promote a research, product or service for its company. In her case, she has offered to "record her adventures" on Poland and boarding school for the entertainment of her fan base. Like... what? I am pretty sure she would do it anyway, even if the money came from other sources (not her fan base's pockets).

It just made me feel so envy : [ It make me want to open a Youtube channel and try and become a snowflake/online personality so I can also ask for money to do personal projects (traveling, mostly). The trick seems to be to (a) have a popular youtube channel, (b) look pretty/kawaii/sexy, and (c) brainwash or search for a fanatic fan base who will do whatever it takes to support you even if it means begging their fathers to donate to your channel (Yes, I read a comment on this girl's video saying the above).  

And then I think about other online personalities who are having REAL struggles (I am thinking about Scola, who is unable to attend college because of discrimination -not allowing her to ask for scholarship- and lack of money) who never ask for help. I mean, these people deserve to be helped, not those who just want to go have fun. I don't know...

*sigh* I guess I am just being silly. 

Has anyone ever felt this way or am I the only one?

Posted

Hi, my name is Jellyfish, and today... *takes a deep breath* today I felt envy over an online personality.

Yes, you read right :[ I felt envy and anger. And above all, I felt confused.

You see, I am subscribed to this online personality that makes videos once every few weeks/days (not a regular) about things regarding her life, her hobbies and places she visits (mostly because she was invited to them: conventions, conferences, etc.) And yesterday she uploaded a video asking for money to buy two ticket planes (one for her and one for her camera man/romantic partner) to travel to Poland and attend a thematic boarding school for four days. She was invited to enroll there, but had no money to travel so she asked her fans to help her...the funny -frustrating- part was that in less than 24 hours she already has enough money for herself and her companion.

WHAT?

I mean, I don't think this could ever happen in real life : / The only way I can picture something like this happening outside of being a Youtube personality is if you work for a business, research institute or organization which asks you to travel somewhere in order to promote a research, product or service for its company. In her case, she has offered to "record her adventures" on Poland and boarding school for the entertainment of her fan base. Like... what? I am pretty sure she would do it anyway, even if the money came from other sources (not her fan base's pockets).

It just made me feel so envy : [ It make me want to open a Youtube channel and try and become a snowflake/online personality so I can also ask for money to do personal projects (traveling, mostly). The trick seems to be to (a) have a popular youtube channel, (b) look pretty/kawaii/sexy, and (c) brainwash or search for a fanatic fan base who will do whatever it takes to support you even if it means begging their fathers to donate to your channel (Yes, I read a comment on this girl's video saying the above).  

And then I think about other online personalities who are having REAL struggles (I am thinking about Scola, who is unable to attend college because of discrimination -not allowing her to ask for scholarship- and lack of money) who never ask for help. I mean, these people deserve to be helped, not those who just want to go have fun. I don't know...

*sigh* I guess I am just being silly. 

You dont need to be a "snowflake" to become succesfull on youtube and with a vise system, you will earn money even without asking for it. 

Posted

Having to ask some random people for money is just pathetic. She should get a job instead of doing this to her fans. 

Anyway I remember I was jealous of Dakota when I first saw her cause she was the most beautiful person I ever seen! I even avoided looking at her video's. Now I know she photoshop her pictures, (but sometimes I can be jealous even if I know their fake) Im  jealous of her career and clothes! Im also jealous of every snowflake that can go to Japan cause it's been my dream for years! And I know I might never be able to visit:alpacaworry2:

Posted

NAH. Anyone could make a YT video. ;)

Posted

Jellyfish, I don't even think this is envy, this is just rightful anger. At one of the ways whole not being fair or right. What she does is gross, by the way, such a pathetic personality doesn't deserve being jealous over, either. :/

Posted

I'd say its a general frustration that this type of money gathering/"earning" is going the way it is right now. Since the people aren't forced to give their money, it's hard to counter-argument the, let's say, more shady crowdfunding projects. And crowdfunding can be a great thing (Projects happening that are great/interesting and wouldn't happen otherwise).

Whats frustrating me is that I think there is a lot of overfunding, like, heavy overfunding happening. As you already mentioned Jellyfish, fundraising is used for things that either would happen anyway, or have little to no real value to offer. The same thing bothers me on patreon... It can be a nice thing, but its often just hilarious. E.g. if youtubers set ONLY goals like "for 2000$ a month, I can buy a better camera/PC to improve the content quality/my workflow". The thing is they get the full patreon sum every damn month. 2000$ is already a heavily overpriced target for cameras or computers (you dont need high-end gear in this price range to achive the same goal...)  - but why is it necessary to set that to a monthly goal instead of a one time fundraise? (Which would be possible!). It's not that I think they should get nothing at all - they do have costs and invest their time after all. But they should at least just be honest with what the money is used for. If a patreon account already made >10.000$ within a few month and still only has goals in the style of "I need new equipment XY" ... I call that a simple lie. If their goal is something that actually generates costs for them each month / every few months, like the "Documentation-Style" videos of Rachel and Jun about the different old-style crafteers in japan (is crafteers the correct term? lol), at least it is reasonable to regulary fundraise money. And its believable that those videos really wouldnt exist otherwise. If they (or anyone who uses the system like that) get extra money for their personal use I think thats fine. And if the other types would at least be honest and just write "I just want to be compensated for my work" and still get money, which I'm sure they would - I could live with that too.

Posted

It make me want to open a Youtube channel and try and become a snowflake/online personality so I can also ask for money to do personal projects (traveling, mostly).

do it do it do it

What if you end up on here

Posted

I must admite that I'm also jelouse of some snowkflakes mostly for all the sponsor shit they have and how some of them travel to differents countries wherever they want but I would feel really sad to edit my pictures to hell and back and lie until i make it. 

Posted

I do feel envy but I feel angry most of the time. 
Online personalities often lies just to get what they want and it makes me angry that they actually get what they want through lies!!

I have to say that I will never feel empathy or good feelings for the snowflakes no matter how much they "changed"

I'm glad you made this thread I thought for a second I was the only one =3

Posted

I honestly don't know how these people get so popular. There are hundreds, if not thousands of girls doing the exact same stuff style-wise, content-wise, skills-wise and most of them are par with each other looks-wise. None of the really famous girls strike me as anything special (not in a shaming type way, I just mean they are cute but not in an eye-catching stand out way). Nobody is original. For every famous Instagram J-fashion/cosplayer you get there are 500 others doing the exact same thing just with significantly less followers. The only thing I can think of is that one person comes along and leaches off another e-famous persons fame to fund their own growing fan-base. Nobody gets famous over night. Or it can happen, but in extremely rare circumstances. 

Posted

Well, as we've seen in Japan, Korea and other Asian countries, there's a demand for cute white girls. As long as the demand is around, people will continue to slap on layers of make up and act like a retard if it means they'll get noticed and make money for doing nothing.

Posted

I do feel envy over an online personality, but not because of her money (well maybe because of her money too but that aside...(?)). I love Bunny (grav3yardgirl) and I really REALLY envy her confidence. Like she gives absolutely no fucks about her appearance and I'm just here, putting on loads of makeup and editing my photos (tho I do take care of my skin too of course) because I feel insecure as fuck. I also envy that she has so many people that love her so much. I'd love to have a fanbase like the Swamp Family, really. Even though everyone has haters too, that comes along with fame always, haters gonna hate. But if I had that many people sending me love and cheering on me I probably wouldn't care less :alpacabored: 

I also envy many youtubers' skin :alpacaworry2:... Why can't I have skin like that even though I take care of it...

Posted

I do feel envy but I feel angry most of the time. 
Online personalities often lies just to get what they want and it makes me angry that they actually get what they want through lies!!

I have to say that I will never feel empathy or good feelings for the snowflakes no matter how much they "changed"

I'm glad you made this thread I thought for a second I was the only one =3

Same. Idk how you can be jealous of scammers and liars like the ones we post under Little Snowflakes.

I feel admiration towards some online personalities though, like Vivekatt or random make-up youtubers.

Posted

At the beginning I was envious of some online personalities, Dakota for example was one of them, because I thought like many other blinded people, how they can be so beautiful, almost perfect. I refer here for example to DaKotas first photos, when she got discovered by the agency, because these photos looked so real to me and although I thought "ok I bet she edited them" I never thought it was such a huge amount of editing. But I honestly felt better when I discovered this forum, because it teached me to open my eyes, and dont believe everything on the internet. Now Im not envious anymore (although I really like some of there lifestyles to be honest), but I am really disappointed in society, especially in young people, who take those people as role models and defend everything their living doll etc. is saying. And sometimes although they discover what a shitty personality exists behind the online mask, they still trying to believe everything these people say, bashing other people down for telling the truth or even for giving those peoples constructive criticism.
And another thing is that I have the feeling that this living doll trend is getting out of control. Sorry for all those people who love it, but I honestly think that, how it got out of control by now, it should be stopped. Not that everyone should completely avoid it (that not what I mean, still have fun with it!), but this heavy editing, lying about it, and in this way dont explain that you cant reach this ridiculous looking doll faces in real life, and people starting bullying each other, encouraging each other to lose weight.... this should definitely stop! There is always a border for a trend to which it is good to follow it, having fun trying these new things out, finding yourself with the help of other who love this lifestyle too, but the people we discuss here in the snowflake section.... these people gone way too far with it.

Posted

I was super jealous of Dakota. I wanted to be just like her. I wanted to be a part of the living doll culture and I probably would've been if I wasn't so over weight and would have looked terrible in it I am trying to lose weight ahhh it's so hard. i still find it a bit cute, but I prefer a more subtle and mature look, like:

5fd4e55790a76ec7f1368ec3e1b1fe88.jpgWomen-Black-Sexy-Party-Dresses-2015-Holl

it's still kind of cutesy, but more mature and less attention grabbing (in the bad lolita way).

I was also really into Venus Angelic. I tried her makeup tutorials but I never looked 'dolly' and I was so jealous of Venus for her dolly face (I didn't know it was mostly fake, of course. I now know about the lighting, angles, filters, ect.). I wanted to be ~kawaii~ so much. 

God I was so jealous it's humiliating. I feel like a lot of PULL members were originally that way.