• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Documentaries thread

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I didn't find a documentary thread so I decided to make one myself. :alpacawink:

What's your favourite documentary? What genres do you like: true crime, about the enviroment, about the media...?

Also feel free to share recommendations of documentaries to watch in Youtube or Netflix!

Some of my latest favourites have been Going Clear (about the church of Scientology) and Mommy Dead and Dearest (about the Deedee and Gypsy Rose case) What about you? :alpacacrush:

Posted

I watch a lot of documentaries on British history. I don't know why but I've been watching a lot of Lucy Worsley (she's a great presenter) and some of Suzannah Lipscomb. I also watch Vice documentaries too because they've got an interesting mix of stuff from culture to political stuff but not recently or as frequently. 

Posted

dress & shoes hauls could be raised as documentaries too right

Posted

http://documentaryheaven.com whenever im in the mood i tend to brouse here for a good one 

but so far my fav has been one on the ferguson case and the second is the one Vice made on the Sucide Forest.

Posted

i rewatched tickled today. its a really good documentary, super strange and interesting

Posted

I like true crime most. I have watched "Dear Zachary: A letter to a son about his father" It's a documentary made by the best friend of a murder victim that he created to show his dead friends son about his late fathers life. It is incredibly sad and heartfelt and may be upsetting to some but it's beautifully made. I will recommend you to not look anything else up about the story behind it before you watch as it has a "twist" that really hits you. I watched it this way and I feel like the creator intended for most people to watch it not fully knowing the whole story. I have never seen a film made with so much love, heartbreak and passion.

"The imposter" is great. True story about a young boy who went missing from the US being located years later in Spain. The family accept him as their missing child and return him to the US, however it's revealed all isn't as it seems. The directing on this is very stylish and unique.

"The Jinx: The life and deaths of Robert Durst" is a slower paced docuseries that I enjoyed. A series revolved around the complicated life of Robert Durst, an eccentric and affluent man surrounded by mystery and murder. A really creepy/shocking payoff in the last episode.

"OJ: Made in America" was so long but offered an amazingly detailed insight into OJ Simpson as a person and not just a murder suspect.

(My summaries are cheesy. :$)

Posted (edited)

True crime documentaries, I love them. I prefer the self-contained ones - the type you can find on channels like Investigation Discovery - Murder on CCTV, Deadly Women, The Perfect Murder, Nightmare Next Door. Longer ones spanning multiple episodes like Making a Murderer can start to lose my attention after a while.  

Edited by The Wanderer

Posted

Wow, it's been a while since I posted this thread! Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out :alpacacrush: right now I'm watching The Keepers, but I'm going really slow because its story makes me so sad...

Lolcow also has a documentaries thread, in case you want to check it out: https://lolcow.farm/ot/res/228282.html

Posted

Wow, it's been a while since I posted this thread! Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out :alpacacrush: right now I'm watching The Keepers, but I'm going really slow because its story makes me so sad...

Lolcow also has a documentaries thread, in case you want to check it out: https://lolcow.farm/ot/res/228282.html

I enjoyed The Keepers. There's something especially sinister within some of the mysteries and corruption within the church.

Finally got around to watching Talhotblond, the quality of the documentary itself seems a little unstylish and low budget but the story and how you begin to think "OK now this is the twist" only to find out there's even more is super engrossing. Great watch for anyone interested in the dangers of online relationships.

I just watched "Tickled" today. It's about a reporter from New Zealand stumbling across some odd tickling videos online whilst researching for his work on pop culture. His inquiry into the international tickling business has him recieve personal threats and uncovering the truth who runs the opperation and how they can afford to do so.

Although a Mockumentary I still need to recommend "American Vandal" to everyone who loves true crime docs. It's Amazing and so funny! It's about a boy who has been suspended from highschool and risks not graduating because he is accused of vandalizing all of the school staffs cars with spray painted dicks. A classmate decides to investigate and prove that they are punishing the wrong person. The way it's filmed perfectly mimics and pokes fun at the genre. If you're like me you'll actually really get into it and be trying to work out alongside it "Who did the dicks?"