• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

music George "Joji" Miller (@sushitrash)

1391 posts in this topic

Posted

I rarely hear about him anymore. I feel like he is slowly losing whatever popularity he had. In 5 years he will be even less popular. He doesn’t seem to be growing fame wise with his music. I think that if he had used Fiilthy Frank to his advantage and incorporated that into his music somehow it would have given him an incredible amount of success. But no, he had to bury Filthy Frank forever, alienate the whole fanbase that was built on that, and complain when people reminded him of FF. He fucked up, IMO and has wasted a huge potential. 

i don't think he fucked up by quitting, but it is a bit sketchy that he never told his fans that he's using the filthy frank channel as a stepping stone for his music career. he just never said it and it was rightfully shocking when he quit bc "he's always wanted to do music". but i understand him, he's not obligated to continue the show even just for the reason that he doesn't want to anymore

Posted (edited)

He has to have a hit song and be ahead of the trends before its too late cause I don't think the type of music he's doing will still be as popular in a few years. We are in a new decade now and there's gonna be a new trend. 

I agree he should have kept filthy frank.

Dont know why you’re getting downvoted. While it’s true that who knows for how long he would have been able to maintain filthy frank in today’s political climate, like I said before, I think it would have been smarter of him to somehow incorporate the FF crazy world into his music. He basically used FF to eventually promote his music, which is perfect, but not only did her swept a legendary internet persona under the rug like it was nothing, he also swept all the people who loved it. I think that if he was more open about his YouTube career when he was asked about it he would be more popular now. Instead, every time he was asked about it, he would avoid answering directly or would try to be condescending towards those who still love Filthy Frank. In conclusion, his “too cool for Filthy Frank” attitude is what will destroy his musical career sooner or later. He will be forgotten, and all because he wanted to erase what made him famous. 

Edited by DreamyCat

Posted

The issue with Filthy Frank is that he doesn't enjoy doing the character anymore. It's pretty clear he grew out of it, and if I remember correctly, he also said the voice he made for Frank was taking a toll on him.

It doesn't matter if incorporating Frank into his current music is smart or not, he wouldn't enjoy it & therefore there's no reason for him to revisit Frank.

Also, I've never felt Joji giving off an air of he's too cool for Filthy Frank? Like he grew out of doing an internet character and wanted to move on to something else, that's all that happened. If he was really too cool for this character, or ashamed of it, or had negative feelings about it, he would've deleted all his Youtube channels related to Frank, but he hasn't done that. Instead he's just left them up for people to revisit when they want to.

Just let the guy live the life he seems to be enjoying.

Posted

The issue with Filthy Frank is that he doesn't enjoy doing the character anymore. It's pretty clear he grew out of it, and if I remember correctly, he also said the voice he made for Frank was taking a toll on him.

It doesn't matter if incorporating Frank into his current music is smart or not, he wouldn't enjoy it & therefore there's no reason for him to revisit Frank.

Also, I've never felt Joji giving off an air of he's too cool for Filthy Frank? Like he grew out of doing an internet character and wanted to move on to something else, that's all that happened. If he was really too cool for this character, or ashamed of it, or had negative feelings about it, he would've deleted all his Youtube channels related to Frank, but he hasn't done that. Instead he's just left them up for people to revisit when they want to.

Just let the guy live the life he seems to be enjoying.

Im not saying he should revive filthy frank or something (even if I was to say that, I think it’s too late). There were plenty of times in which he showed a “too cool” for Filthy Frank attitude. In an interview with vice, he sounded annoyed when talking about how people tell him that he sometimes talks like filthy frank. In a radio show, when asked about his YouTube channel, he said that he used to do “some skits” like it was nothing.  He absolutely despises being reminded of Filthy Frank. He can move on and do what he wants, but I think it’s pretty disrespectful to see him trying to pretend that he didn’t used to sing about how hot Dora the explorer is lol. He didn’t delete his channels or FF because $$$$. He wanted people to stop reminding him of filthy frank but he also wanted people to continue buying his merch. I think originally, his dream in life was to become a famous musical artist and to be known for just his music but as we know that is not the case and therefore he and his fans get upset whenever someone remembers FF. What’s so wrong with taking about it? Jesus, I always see comments on his videos saying stuff like “can people stop talking about FF?” or “so disappointed with all these pink guy comments”. Like, what’s so wrong with it? Be thankful that he even has something to remembered by, most people try and end up with nothing. 

(He doesn’t look happy to me if I’m being honest. He hasn't looked happy, at least from my view, in a very long time). 

Posted

(He doesn’t look happy to me if I’m being honest. He hasn't looked happy, at least from my view, in a very long time). 

This is so accurate, he seems like he's just going through the motions on autopilot, devoid of what once made him unique. At first I thought his new persona was contrived for the sad boy aesthetic, but the longer he's kept it up the more hopeless he really appears imo. I don't know if it's a side effect of upholding the persona publically or not, but I genuinely sense a sadness from him.

I think he truly did grow out of doing FF, especially with YouTube's restrictions making that kind of content no longer viable. But I don't think the path he's on right now is fullfilling him in the way he'd hoped for.

Posted

What? He posts clips of himself goofing off backstage, both with Run and Walking. What do you need to believe that Joji might be happy with his life while simultaneously having a muted presence on social media because he's relatively famous and values his privacy? Do we need a post every day where Joji talks about how incredibly happy he is and posts pictures of himself smiling in sunshine? What do you want from this man?

Like I see people pointing to Joji's pallid complexion or his notable under eye bags a few pages back as proof that he's unhappy/ ill, but you all realise that he looked like that back during the Frank era, right? That thing with him smashing his forehead into his phone was weird (to say the least) but did we forget that he climbed into a bathtub full of ramen or rubbed his face in raw meat while wearing a purple anime wig for his videos?

And this is just a possibility, but if Joji went through medical issues physically and mentally - people change from that. Just because he's not as loud and energetic he was when he was Frank doesn't mean he's breaking down behind the scenes. If anything, Joji just became more mature and adult-like. Frank was obvious teenage/ young adult humour, his career now just has a different tone to it, it doesn't mean he's unhappy.

Also, I went and looked at his videos again and realised that there's no ads on a lot of them, probably bc YT won't allow monetization of the content, so who knows what money Joji is even getting from leaving those videos up.

Saying 'be thankful for Filthy Frank' when it's obvious Joji doesn't want to be Frank anymore is disregarding his feelings. He's said multiple times that Frank is a character that he's retired because the character isn't what he wants anymore. Ya'll remember that cringe phase we went through as teenagers/ young adults? Imagine having a channel with billions of views while in that cringey phase. Just let him leave a chapter of his life in the past.

Posted

I just think upholding this new image might possibly be taxing for him in the same way FF was (although definitely a lot less embarrassing). Except this time it's more likely that image is cultivated by more than just himself, taking into consideration the fame/money he's garnered. Which I can see how that might cause problems for him. I don't need someone to look explicitly sad to sense there might be something wrong, in the same way some of the most privileged of us suffer in silence. Joji, as far as I know came from an average family (please correct me if I'm wrong), so imo it's possible for him to be disinfranchised by the fame/industry and the problems that come with it. I don't know for sure ofc, I just don't think there's any harm in voicing our worries considering the extremely repetitive phenomena of celebrities in and out of rehab/dropping like flies. 

And I really hope this isn't derailing... I just wanted to explain where I'm coming from even though I agree with points you both make (I'm just out of rep as usual) ><

Posted

I just think upholding this new image might possibly be taxing for him in the same way FF was (although definitely a lot less embarrassing). Except this time it's more likely that image is cultivated by more than just himself, taking into consideration the fame/money he's garnered. Which I can see how that might cause problems for him. I don't need someone to look explicitly sad to sense there might be something wrong, in the same way some of the most privileged of us suffer in silence. Joji, as far as I know came from an average family (please correct me if I'm wrong), so imo it's possible for him to be disinfranchised by the fame/industry and the problems that come with it. I don't know for sure ofc, I just don't think there's any harm in voicing our worries considering the extremely repetitive phenomena of celebrities in and out of rehab/dropping like flies. 

And I really hope this isn't derailing... I just wanted to explain where I'm coming from even though I agree with points you both make (I'm just out of rep as usual) ><

Conpletely agree. Just because someone is smiling and having fun from time to time it doesn’t mean they are happy. (Off topic but when I had depression and I told people about it they couldnt believe it because I was always laughing, making jokes, and being goofy).

Of course, we don’t know him and how he really feels but I don’t think it’s too much of a reach to say that he doesn’t look like a very happy person. His eyes look dead. I just think that he looked a lot happier back when he was barely starting filthy frank. It just seems to me like his life before coming to America was better for his emotional state. As a person, he seems to have gone completely downhill since he moved to New York (does he still live there?) Adding filthy frank, his fandom, and fame can’t help him that much. It does worry me that there’s always rappers or artists dying suddenly of overdose or something when, to most people, the rapper looked completely fine before. 

Posted

Conpletely agree. Just because someone is smiling and having fun from time to time it doesn’t mean they are happy.

Then the complete opposite is also true? Just because someone doesn't look happy doesn't mean they aren't. Like we can interpret his facial expressions however we want, but considering the amount of personal experience I have for getting shit bc I'm 'unapproachable' in my resting face, him looking 'dead in the eyes' isn't really great proof that he's depressed. He said himself that he stopped Frank and is now making the music he's making because the former no longer makes him happy while the latter does. If he stopped one venture before because he was uninspired/ unhappy with it, he'd do it again.

I have one last thing to say before I'm just gonna leave this: Joji isn't a character. It's been said by Joji himself, that Frank was a character and Joji is himself. From that, Joji isn't an act, but how he really is.

Posted

Then the complete opposite is also true? Just because someone doesn't look happy doesn't mean they aren't. Like we can interpret his facial expressions however we want, but considering the amount of personal experience I have for getting shit bc I'm 'unapproachable' in my resting face, him looking 'dead in the eyes' isn't really great proof that he's depressed. He said himself that he stopped Frank and is now making the music he's making because the former no longer makes him happy while the latter does. If he stopped one venture before because he was uninspired/ unhappy with it, he'd do it again.

I have one last thing to say before I'm just gonna leave this: Joji isn't a character. It's been said by Joji himself, that Frank was a character and Joji is himself. From that, Joji isn't an act, but how he really is.

I don’t disagree though, you and I are both assuming. No one ever said that Joji has to act like Filthy Frank, we all know FF is a character. But Jojis true self doesn’t seem very happy, I’m not expecting him to be FF, but his real self, from what I see, seems pretty sad and lonely.  Even when he was still doing FF, in behind the scene videos i would notice that he looked sort of done with everything. I was able to differentiate between FF and Joji. Just my opinion. 

As for him trying something else if he realizes his music isn’t making him happy, well, I could see him doing that but at the same time, what else does he have? It was either Filthy Frank or music, and (in my opinion), neither really made him happy. If he leaves music, and I’m talking about all aspects of music (like producing or writing for others), what else could he do with his life? This is all he has, he won’t leave it even if it doesn’t fulfill him. 

Posted

I agree with redbowkiki, I don’t think how active or personal he is on social media is an indication he’s suffering or doing worse now. Being an artist is complicated and it has negative aspects for sure but I think he’s better off now creating music as Joji. He has a desire to create and maybe he does suffer from imposter syndrome regardless of craft but I personally enjoy what he’s done with himself

Posted (edited)

We all do 😭 but don’t you dare mention filthy frank on his videos or you’ll get a mob of hardcore Joji fans saying that he’s over that and to not even mention it. 

WE WILL NEVER FORGET! I WILL NEVER FORGET!!! 🤧😭

I rarely hear about him anymore. I feel like he is slowly losing whatever popularity he had. In 5 years he will be even less popular. He doesn’t seem to be growing fame wise with his music. I think that if he had used Fiilthy Frank to his advantage and incorporated that into his music somehow it would have given him an incredible amount of success. But no, he had to bury Filthy Frank forever, alienate the whole fanbase that was built on that, and complain when people reminded him of FF. He fucked up, IMO and has wasted a huge potential. 

He's got a billboard in Times Square and is #16 on the Billboard Hot 100. Sanctuary was in several Top Hits Spotify Playlists. He made almost no money off of Filthy Frank and it was fucking up his health. He's fine, success wise. Streaming means he can make a good living without being Lil Nas X or Billie Eilish. He doesn't seem the type to overspend like a lot of mildly successful morons in music. We have no way of knowing about his personal life beyond what he shares, but he is dramatically improving, music wise. He's on a good track right now, career wise. Also, he's almost 28. Of course he is acting differently than he did in college. That's how these things work.

Edited by FernandoPoo

Posted

this thread glossed over the proof he dated a high school senior  ( adri ) as he was 24.   where did he met her?    hanging with his teen fans?   are we stanning a man who would take advantages over a young girl?   :S

Posted

this thread glossed over the proof he dated a high school senior  ( adri ) as he was 24.   where did he met her?    hanging with his teen fans?   are we stanning a man who would take advantages over a young girl?   :S

This is a serious claim. I'd like to ask for proof that Adri was a teenager when they dated and Joji was even dating Adri at all, considering how secretive he is about his life.

Posted

This is a serious claim. I'd like to ask for proof that Adri was a teenager when they dated and Joji was even dating Adri at all, considering how secretive he is about his life.

2017 is the year she graduated high school says news articles 

https://nwsa.mdc.edu/nwsa-college-about/latest-nwsa-college-news/885-adriana-de-la-torre-becomes-nwsa’s-19th-presidential-scholar-in-the-arts.html

read back on this thread for the receipts they were together in 2017.  sleeping in the same bed and she called out his fans.  there is a vid of them backstage posted by knowknow of 88rising.  vidz on a date from a girl on IG.

he was 24 if the 1993 birthday is right, 25 if 1992 from wikipedia

a man his age has nothing good in mind for a child sis, 18 or not