• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Is Taylor R a bit racist?

19 posts in this topic

Posted

At 4:31

"For some reason- everything affects me of course, when I heard about it, but the UK one was uhm, maybe because I follow a lot of UK youtubers on Twitter or a lot of you guys are from there, so when I open my Twitter that day, it was just a constant, like, hitting of what was going on there, and, yeah, it just made me really stop and think a lot. And to be honest, I'm the type of person that doesn't watch the news, I hear most of it just from my boyfriend, because a lot of it is bad and negative and fake and terrifying and I feel like: What you don't know, can't hurt you, right?"

I felt a bad taste of white privilege in my mouth. Being in Japan without being able to speak Japanese barely and only thinking about the deaths of her fellow white people. Does she even know about the situation in Africa? Or the Middle East? They have been dealing with terrorist attacks daily, but who cares, as long as she doesn't see it on her timeline "What you don't know, can't hurt you, right?" Oh, the ignorance.

The reason why I posted this is because I saw a Syrian girl who is a fan of Taylor R commenting that she lives in Syria and is dealing with those attacks daily and she felt really disappointed about what Taylor said, yet Taylor doesn't care as much about it because it simply isn't affecting her own environment. 

Have you heard about the Garissa University College attack? Probably not.

Posted

"For some reason- everything affects me of course, when I heard about it, but the UK one was uhm, maybe because I follow a lot of UK youtubers on Twitter or a lot of you guys are from there, so when I open my Twitter that day, it was just a constant, like, hitting of what was going on there, and, yeah, it just made me really stop and think a lot. And to be honest, I'm the type of person that doesn't watch the news, I hear most of it just from my boyfriend, because a lot of it is bad and negative and fake and terrifying and I feel like: What you don't know, can't hurt you, right?"

that doesn't make you racist. I think the thing with the attack in the UK is that they're reported more - the Ariana Grande concert was all we heard about in the UK for ages, as it's quite rare this stuff happens. If they were to report on a bomb attack in Syria, it would be daily. It's not rare that it happens there. 

I'm not saying it's good of the west (and Taylor) to ignore Syria, just that it makes sense given the amount of attacks they get there.

Posted

Not being aware of world news makes her ignorant, not racist. I'm sure she's aware of those things, but chooses to not follow them. The attack in Manchester was going to be world news, but blame Western media for that not Taylor. 

She lives in her own little bubble, the world around her is probably completely out of focus. You can get around Tokyo with a small amount of Japanese, which she does have (I remember a video within the last year where two Japanese women were talking to her about Rosie and she understood and responded to them in Japanese), she just doesn't seem to care about becoming fluent or having Japanese friends. I wouldn't say that makes her racist, just narrow minded and lazy. 

I agree with you.

Posted

I don't think she's racist. She's just like a lot of other people that are aware of Western reported travesties and feel sadness and sympathy for them events but won't say anything about what's happening in Syria because sadly they are not reported as often. It's just ignorant she doesn't keep up with the news because it can be important.

Posted

I remember this part and feeling a bit shocked. 

However as a Muslim woman who studies political science and advocates awareness of the Muslim community...

I really shouldn't be shocked.

The reality is most people are only emotionally affected by what they can relate to.

Taylor isn't around Muslims or Arabs, so why would she feel any connection or want to be aware of those things. It's much much easier to feel empathy for those who are just like you or at least in your scope of view.

It's shitty that in north America we don't teach about the middle east, world religion, or general cultural/political geography...unless you take an extra class in college about those things.

And honesty with education of those things, comes the reduction and end of conflict.

She is literally the product of an ignorant  society and a lack of interest in education of areas of political involvement.

If your citizens are less aware of an area and society, it makes it easier to dehumanize and agree with political action there 

So yeah, she doesn't have an interest in paying attention to syria/the Islamic world.

But she's going to get sad about the UK

Honestly it makes me mad to see British or non British YouTubers crying about the attacks for views (my assumption but who knows..)

Yet don't even bat an eye when a bomb goes off in Baghdad and kills children as they are getting ice cream while breaking there fast during the holy month of ramadan.

You can't ask everyone to be constantly aware of current affairs, but I also think you can't pick and choose what you get sad about on youtube...

Posted

I was really hoping this thread would go back to the 1488 topic and that she denied knowing what neo nazis were. 

Posted

At 4:31

I felt a bad taste of white privilege in my mouth. Being in Japan without being able to speak Japanese barely and only thinking about the deaths of her fellow white people. Does she even know about the situation in Africa? Or the Middle East? They have been dealing with terrorist attacks daily, but who cares, as long as she doesn't see it on her timeline "What you don't know, can't hurt you, right?" Oh, the ignorance.

The reason why I posted this is because I saw a Syrian girl who is a fan of Taylor R commenting that she lives in Syria and is dealing with those attacks daily and she felt really disappointed about what Taylor said, yet Taylor doesn't care as much about it because it simply isn't affecting her own environment. 

Have you heard about the Garissa University College attack? Probably not.

I feel like she should just keep her mouth shut, like with a lot of other things she discusses that just leaves you sort of :beardo:

seriously, she is a dumb and aloof white girl, like if she doesn't know what she is talking about and doesn't care to look up shit, then just don't bring that into her channel just to try and look cool and educated, when she is quite the opposite. other than that, taylor is just dumb and bitchy, good ol' saltay. I don't think she is racist though, prejudice is still stretching it. 

Posted

it isn't racism at all and I agree with her, we can't do nothing to solve what is happening, and hear about everything is really frustrating :|
it's all about money and power, we just are pawns. 

Posted

I really wish people would stop telling people who and what to mourn you can't police how people feel and calling them racist for mourning the murder of people is one of the many things I hate about this world. The thing is Manchester was a shock, it came out of nowhere and it happened at an event that most of us have been to, a pop concert. We think "oh wow that could have been us" sadly it's the shock factor. Sad and horrific  as it is, there is news nearly every day or bombings in the middle East and over time it's just become a given. Most people can't even imagine what it's like to live in a war torn area! Most people will have been to a concert in their local area though, or have tickets to an upcoming concert and they can't help but think "what if that was the concert I was at". I'm not lessening anyone's pain or torment, I'm  just trying to explain that people aren't licking and choosing who to mourn based on race, it's more to do with environment, situation and closeness. I mourn Manchester and London and Portugal because they are so close to my home in Ireland. Like I don't even get as involved in shootings in America because they aren't close to me and I can't place myself in a situation where guns are so readily available and shootings so prevalent that they have shooting drills in schools! I don't know if I explained this well, but yeah, don't police how people mourn, don't attack people for feeling sad at the murder of children and their parents, instead be mad at the media, their handling of what info to spread and most of all be mad at the men that are doing the killings.

Posted

I don't think it's really racism. I understand it's more difficult for some people to empathize with others so if she doesn't want to follow the news, she shouldn't have to. I do hope she chooses her words more carefully though. I'm sure she cares, just not as much as other people do. Living in a first world country, it's often difficult even for me to understand what other people are going through because I don't have the same problems.

Posted

I remember this part and feeling a bit shocked. 

However as a Muslim woman who studies political science and advocates awareness of the Muslim community...

I really shouldn't be shocked.

The reality is most people are only emotionally affected by what they can relate to.

Taylor isn't around Muslims or Arabs, so why would she feel any connection or want to be aware of those things. It's much much easier to feel empathy for those who are just like you or at least in your scope of view.

It's shitty that in north America we don't teach about the middle east, world religion, or general cultural/political geography...unless you take an extra class in college about those things.

And honesty with education of those things, comes the reduction and end of conflict.

She is literally the product of an ignorant  society and a lack of interest in education of areas of political involvement.

If your citizens are less aware of an area and society, it makes it easier to dehumanize and agree with political action there 

So yeah, she doesn't have an interest in paying attention to syria/the Islamic world.

But she's going to get sad about the UK

Honestly it makes me mad to see British or non British YouTubers crying about the attacks for views (my assumption but who knows..)

Yet don't even bat an eye when a bomb goes off in Baghdad and kills children as they are getting ice cream while breaking there fast during the holy month of ramadan.

You can't ask everyone to be constantly aware of current affairs, but I also think you can't pick and choose what you get sad about on youtube...

Ok so I have to say that where I live ( idk if I am allowed to say where I live but I am from Europe )we actually are taught about other societies and their religion . The thing is even if you are follow the news or not , we still don't do anything about it because tbh you can't really do anything for these people . Yes it's sad and yes I can imagine how hard it is and it breaks my heart but unfortunately just because you know what's going on around you , you can't do anything and I think that's why people don't really talk or do anything about it . It's not because we don't know much about other religions or people in general , it's just because since we can't do much we just ignore it . 

Also I am not defending Taylor in any type of way , it's sad to see her talking about this but not acknowledging the fact that there's people going through some really tough things. 

I hope I didn't offend anyone ❤️

Posted (edited)

Taylor cares more about what happens in the U.K. than in Africa or Middle East because caring more about what hits close to home than what hits somewhere far away is human nature 101. That's also why you would be more likely to feel sad if one of your relatives died than if e.g. your neighbor's relative died. Is it a good thing? No, but that doesn't make it racism. Should I start accusing aforementioned Kenyans of being racist and having brown privilege because they cared more about the Garissa University attack than what they probably view as "random terrorist attack in Sweden a few months ago" (because they most certainly did)? Of course not.

I don't like Taylor that much but racist is not one of the words I would use to describe her.

Edited by JunkFood

Posted

Whether or not Taylor was actually "only thinking about the deaths of her fellow white people" is up for debate (Though I don't feel there's enough evidence to make this claim...) however it's important to really just correct this and make clear that not only white people died, got injured or lost someone in these incidents. The UK is a vastly multicultural place and people affected in each attack have been of many races and nationalities, regardless of how she meant it.