• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

What Are Some Things That Made You Leave a Fandom?

61 posts in this topic

Posted

heh, I haven't gotten involved with a fandom since the Homestuck days. but then people were gross and sexualizing the characters, and I got out of that. due to how people can be, I'd just rather not be involved with large groups of fans.

Posted

I used to love Mystic Messenger until the fandom became too large to handle itself. And then when all the hate for Rika happened it just brought me down. Rika was innocent in all of that happened but the fans just...wow. I have never experienced so much hate for a character in my life. You would have thought she was like the devil. Anyway I haven't been able to enjoy Mystic Messenger anymore because of how toxic the fandom got. I am glad I finished all the original routes before it got too bad so I didn't feel as bad for deleting the game from my phone and never downloading it again. 

Posted

I have been a big BTS fan for many years and was always a proud army but of late with their rising international popularity, I’m seeing a lot more hostile fans popping up. Not only that but even the older army’s have made me basically not want to be involved or have me not wanting to call myself an army because I lowkey am embarrassed to be grouped with such people. I say this because I’ve noticed a lot of older (meaning ones who have been around since BTS early days) army’s attacking new Army’s saying they aren’t welcome or that they only like BTS because they’re super famous/popular now. Idk, guess it’s just all about who was here first vs just liking BTS for their music and who they are. Plus don’t even get me started on the multi fandom thing because I’ve seen so many army’s slaughtering people because they aren’t solely into BTS.... :stoplz:

Posted (edited)

I always found the term fandom pretty cringy, especially when they change it to sound self important to fit their franchise like Whovians or the worst of all, "bro army". a fanbase that grows big is always bound to have a bunch of annoying and tactless fans. And the people who identify themselves with these fandoms always is an apologist or shills the hell out of it "SUBSCRIBE TO PEWDIEPIE!" Like he doesn't already do that on his own videos, PLS LEAVE A LIKE, COMMENT and SUBSCRIBE, AND FOLLOW ME ON MY SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS but now his fans do it too. 

But this is just from my own observations from reddit, youtube and dedicated sites and stuff. Pretty sure not all fans are so rabid, just primarily the vocal ones

Edited by Gogeta

Posted

I would say less "leave fandoms" and more "hell no, not getting into that fandom to begin with" because I see a lot of toxic fandoms.  I help moderate on a sci-fi forum, and the amount of shit I see spewed towards things like RWBY, Star Wars (especially newer stuff), etc, makes me want to avoid the fandoms.  Oh, and all the fan fiction surrounding other online phenomena such as Worm makes me sad that this exists.

Posted (edited)

I used to be a Brony/Pegasister. I left the show after the introduction of this character:

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEX

Edited by LuluCalliope

Posted

I used to be super into K-Pop before BTS exploded. I'm super happy to see the boys finding huge success and I still buy their albums, but their fans have gotten so intense over the past few years. I thought it was bad before 2018 but it really got worse over the past year... :alpacaworry:

I also used to be really into anime but certain fandoms make it very hard to enjoy... I remember trying to help a friend run a Sword Art Online confessions blog on Tumblr and it got really gross. I should have known what I was getting into but I could never could watch the anime after that... :alpacaworry2:

Posted

I left a part of a fandom due to the toxic behavior of the people that were in it. If you did not follow their version of what was canon then you were not welcomed. They treated you like outsiders and basically tried to blacklist you from the rest of the fandom. 

Thank god the person who lead this however seems to have jumped onto another fandom because I and many others called her out on her bullshit behavior. I still won't go back to that part of the fandom and I even have it blacklisted on my tumblr so I never see something from it again. It's just sickening how people become control freaks over something that's supposed to be fun :/ 

Posted

I pretty much leave every fandom I join because when it gets more popular it gets more toxic. The only fandoms I stay with are video game ones since the only toxic fans are the gross neckbeard types and I believe they’re mostly a minority. Although I did leave the undertale fandom because that shit was crazy lol. I still like the game though but that was the only time fans have ever ruined a game for me. It took me a few years to like undertale again 

Posted

I wasn't really into the show, but Steven Universe at first seemed like a good show, then the fandom grew larger and it didn't help that the show itself was very LGBTQ+ feelin', so obviously sjws joined the fandom. I knew the fandom was a goner after the Awestruck Fox and Rose Quartz skinny thing happened. Also later on the show itself got pretty bad, like how Steven would blame others instead of himself sometimes. Also the art style is pretty hard to look at most of the time. I've only seen the movie trailer and poster, and I already know it's gonna be garbage, with it's always changing bodies. I wouldn't consider being apart of the fandom, I really just know to stay away from it.

Posted

The first thing that came to mind was Hetalia. Oh boy. Hetalia was massive back in 2009 and kept growing. I dropped the fandom immediately after a specific incident.

To make a long story short: Hetalia cosplayers. Holocaust Memorial. Nazi salutes.

Posted

I was a big kpop fan up until may, i mostly involved in the bts and loona fandoms, i still love loona but the music and mv quality of bts dipped so much for me i can't really say i love their stuff anymore. I also really don't like the direction that their greedy ass company is taking, pasting their names on everything from corny creepy video games to cheap makeup products yet removing the boys fron the actual music production process and letting mediocre western producers write their shit for them lol. I guess the label realised that the fandom are crazy brainwashed sheep that would buy cow shit if bts endorsed it so theyre milking them for all its worth. ARMYs not giving 2 shits about bts being overworked to the point of illness just so they can get content kinda put the nail in the coffin for me to leave. You can't say that you care about their wellbeing but you make fun of them and make memes of them whenever they collapse on stage from exhaustion lol That and the realization that all the other kpop fandoms are just as stupid and crazy.

I was also a part of the free! and haikyuu fandoms but i left because of all of the ship wars, haikyuu was worse because there was like no homoerotic subtext present unlike free, yet these weirdos would start fighting because "hinata touched noyas shoulder when asahi didnt!1!12!" 

Posted

I used to be a big fan of pentagon until E'Dawn left. Dude was my bias and his lacking presence in the group just couldn't convince me to listen to their other songs.

Nothing wrong with the group but from time to time Universes will attack ex-stans for unstanning but like... what're ya gonna do about it

If E'Dawn was the reason some people stanned the group, it would logically make sense that these stans would leave once he left ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted

Something that made me leave a Fandom is the LGBT angry fans. I can't stand them. 

They're so obnoxious when a character appears to be queer like suddenly, this is THE BEST CHARACTER EVEEEERRR just because he's/she's queer. A character they didn't give a shit about at the beginning but is "The best since the beginning I knew it!! " after the revelation(not saying that every LGBT characters are shitty, but not all are exceptional, like cis gender and hetero characters aren't always exceptional too) . It could be the poorest written character in the whole universe, as long as it queer, this is the best character.

When a character MIGHT be queer or NOT (it's not precized in the show, it's only the viewers interpretation of the character, your imagination about the whole things) you always have that snobby person dropping this when nobody asked "Haaan, like, I mean, of course the character is like, gay, because he's /she's so queer I mean, on the gay chart, hes/she's having a lot of things that scream" I'm gay" so, the characters is meant to be gay and to make heterosexual crying, like boohoo, gay sparkles!! If you hate it, you're a hater and homophobic <3". Buy a brain or Idk :alpacadone:

When Life is Strange was announced, few fans was saying that only the one would be the best because they had lesbians, and if the second doesn't have gay or lesbian content, they wouldn't buy it because it would be the worst game of universe... Since when a queer character makes the whole thing better? It's a great thing for the representation of minorities, but it doesn't make a game good...(hopefully, Life is strange is a gold nugget :alpacalove:)

Or the My little pony case : on a group, someone asked which ships people in general like. Some put hetero ship because they match ponies colors, interest, characters, ..., like any shippers, no matter the gender and sexuality. And of course, you had the LGBT army crying that heterosexual ship is a shame, that the whole show is gay, the mane six are all lesbians dating each other, seeing non gay ship hurts their feeling and blabla.. Those idiots were so focused on the hetero ships that they don't even paid attention to people putting their queer ships in comment...

I even saw a guy on this mlp group saying how he wanted to be gay because it's more funny than being hetero, but he loves too much woman and wanted to try with a guy, and those dumbasses be like "Yay, be gay, we are way better and wonderful <3". Being gay is not a fashionable items, it's a real thing.. 

I'm all for queer representation, but those fans make me want to slap them, they always represent LGBT like a "fantastic fairy sparkly adorable kawaii funny thing fighting against the evil angry homophobic oppressive heteronormativity", like okay, you want to make the whole thing cool and funny to represent yourself, but at the end, it's all edgy and stupid.

Even my queer friends are too embarrassed to be associated with those clowns about their gender/sexuality :rageplz:

Posted (edited)

LGBT shippers are driving me nutso. 

I saw someone on archive of our own writing fluffy pieces for a rare hetero ship, and they are getting shit for it because the fandom refuses to accept the male character as anything other than gay. I've only barely dipped my foot in this fandom recently. And from what I have seen, he's only a child. and people... grown ass adults... are militant about him being gay. not to say it's not a possibility or anything, nor that there's anything wrong with harmless non-sexualized ships of boys, but the fact it's become this character's defining trait to the point of fandom-wide obsession really unsettles me. also, there's no proof to support the claim that he's gay, so can't just... idk, attack people if they want to make content of him that isn't gay? They act as though it's a mortal sin to write him with a female character. It's not queer erasure if his sexuality hasn't been established, you guys. Someone writing heterosexual content isn't going to land the gays in concentration camps. 

Like calm down, it's not that deep. 

Edited by jadedotgif