• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

What Are Some Things That Made You Leave a Fandom?

61 posts in this topic

Posted

For instance, did the fans cause to much drama?

Or maybe you just became disinterested?

I always find it interesting to find out why someone left a fandom, since fandom is so in our face these days.

Posted

Truth be told, I used to be in the brony (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) fandom because I kinda like the show. All the characters were pretty cute. But there's one thing that feels like embarrassing to everyone on the internet is how weird the fandom is. Brony is usually known for having grown, old men as a part of a fandom. I feel embarrassed to label myself as a fan of MLP because of the internet's interpretation of that fandom. I understand why no one likes to talk about bronies because of them having a scary-side of the fandom. That's why I never get to talk about it. According to the creator of that show, MLP is meant to be for all audience, but to be honest, I feel rather weird out seeing the fact the audience are old, grown men. I dropped watching the show.

Other story, I'm suddenly feel disinterested of the Danganronpa because of one fucking character: Chihiro Fujisaki. I love Chihiro Fujisaki as a character but how the fandom treats him is crazy. Because of that bullshit gender issue of his. If you don't agree that Chihiro is either cis or trans, you'll get beefed from Tumblr users for disagreeing with them.

I feel like people leave the fandoms because of the toxic behavior of the fans. It drives me crazy as well. You'd either be scared of their demographic, how they behave or treat each other, the drama, those shipping disputes and shit. I mean, I like the series but there's something that's holding me back. Sorry if it sounds irrelevant to the topic...

Posted

I don't know if a the actual celebrities in the fandom count as one but that's what stopped me from being in the fandom. I used to be in this fandom (not saying the name) and it was my first fandom that I was actually active in; had friends from the fandom, had a fandom account, read fanfictions, had a favourite ship and all that jazz. But after a while the actual actors from the fandom had such a big problem. It started when one of the main cast commented some shit on one of the most popular instagram fandom's live about a ship and said no body cares for that popular's ship and blamed another main costar for it. Then that costar got hate on and it turned out it was all a lie. After that it was just plain pettiness from the actual actors themselves. They would be petty towards each other on social media, deleting pictures of each other and being shady towards each other like nobody's business. Fans being racist to other cast members and creating hate account for knee of the cast members was too much for me.  Honestly the cast and fandom was a mess so I got out of the fandom because it was too mess for me. 

Posted

Dressing up as someone from said fandom, got crazy fan girls following me around,glomping me, latching onto me, wanting to be my gf. It was annoying as hell. Normally I'm a playboy but man did I hate it. And not to be rude but a lot of the girls were special needs and it was just too much to deal with. Some of the stuff they did made me uncomfortable and I couldn't get away

Posted

Truth be told, I used to be in the brony (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) fandom because I kinda like the show. All the characters were pretty cute. But there's one thing that feels like embarrassing to everyone on the internet is how weird the fandom is. Brony is usually known for having grown, old men as a part of a fandom. I feel embarrassed to label myself as a fan of MLP because of the internet's interpretation of that fandom. I understand why no one likes to talk about bronies because of them having a scary-side of the fandom. That's why I never get to talk about it. According to the creator of that show, MLP is meant to be for all audience, but to be honest, I feel rather weird out seeing the fact the audience are old, grown men. I dropped watching the show.

Other story, I'm suddenly feel disinterested of the Danganronpa because of one fucking character: Chihiro Fujisaki. I love Chihiro Fujisaki as a character but how the fandom treats him is crazy. Because of that bullshit gender issue of his. If you don't agree that Chihiro is either cis or trans, you'll get beefed from Tumblr users for disagreeing with them.

I feel like people leave the fandoms because of the toxic behavior of the fans. It drives me crazy as well. You'd either be scared of their demographic, how they behave or treat each other, the drama, those shipping disputes and shit. I mean, I like the series but there's something that's holding me back. Sorry if it sounds irrelevant to the topic...

Good to see I'm not the only one who is kind of uncomfortable by my little pony now. I adored the original MLP growing up, and when friendship is magic came out I fell in love all over again. Like, I still love the first 4 seasons a lot, but I lost interest after awhile (mainly because of equestria girls and then the CMC got their cutie marks... I loved seeing them trying to find who they were, but then after that I just got kind of bored) Being into MLP at all now gets you looked at weirdly, since most of the audience are grown men and most things about my little pony that show up on the internet are the sex crazed fans, the creepy sex merchandise, rule 34 and other cringey art, etc. It's kind of sad to me, I'm glad the creators embraced the fact that MLP was watched by more than just young girls, but I wonder how they feel about the reputation their fandom has now...

Lowkey, I still love MLP but I haven't kept up with it in so long and I just never tell people that I like it anymore due to what the fandom is :alpacadone: I miss the good ol days

Posted

I like K-pop but I can't stand the hardcore fans and their creepy shipping. Completely my own opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone, but it's so off putting when people fantasize about the members being in gay relationships or sexualize minors. How many times must I see someone call somebody from NCT daddy?

I love BTS and I appreciate their hard work, they totally deserve the popularity they have today, but I'm tired of seeing Armies on YouTube everywhere! You can't watch Behind The Scenes of anything without seeing at least one comment talking about "oh I thought this was a bangtan video teehee". Rage every time.

This isn't all fans of course, but those people in particular make me not want to associate with other fans.

Posted

I like K-pop but I can't stand the hardcore fans and their creepy shipping. Completely my own opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone, but it's so off putting when people fantasize about the members being in gay relationships or sexualize minors. How many times must I see someone call somebody from NCT daddy?

I love BTS and I appreciate their hard work, they totally deserve the popularity they have today, but I'm tired of seeing Armies on YouTube everywhere! You can't watch Behind The Scenes of anything without seeing at least one comment talking about "oh I thought this was a bangtan video teehee". Rage every time.

This isn't all fans of course, but those people in particular make me not want to associate with other fans.

I can understand you. My friends are heavy kpop fans and tries to get my into it but I just could not. Like for me fans are what makes me get into a fandom and if the fans themselves are annoying, petty, and messy it would turn me off. I kind of detest a lot of kpop groups just because of their fan base even though they themselves haven't done anything wrong. 

Posted

i was pretty big on homestuck until there was that long ass hiatus; ot but idk how to really explain well, there's like things that i'm okay waiting for (i guess example would be aot/snk) but other things it's like too long, y'know? like the hype dies i guess? idk. Also tumblr homestuck fandom was super fucking annoying, i was a casual reblogger of hs related stuff but it's like you couldn't avoid them even if you tried. 

& i also really liked mlp, it's cute as heck and i really enjoyed how good they were at teaching their (original?? im talking about the lil kids) audience lessons / messages. but as stated already, all those gross neckbeards that wanna fuck a pony ruined it. it feels so taboo now to even discuss it, i feel bad for kids who aren't safe anymore trying looking up their favorite characters.

the last one i can think of wasn't really a fandom thing, there's this aot fan made game which i really, really liked. I'm talking about a whole summer spent playing that game nonstop, I even made friends from it (i also got into a skype group thing for the game as well, but there was really confusing drama ???? i dont know but i dont have any contact with them anymore ;; i am friends with one person from the game still :alpacawink:) anyways, asides the group fiasco, the developer made an update & it ruined the game entirely for me. too many bells & whistles, titans looked more diverse & dynamic making it a thousand times harder to get through a round, just garbage for me. i checked in on it again a few weeks ago, to see if it was any different, but i guess the developer abandoned the game after that update.  

Posted

I haven't left it, but I cut myself off from the groups with their BS drama. 

Personally I've always loved realistic dolls and miniatures. When I was a kid I loved going to exhibits of gingerbread towns, watching stop-motion tv shows or movies, and etc. Because of my interest in these areas I ruined my Barbies as a kid. I cut and styled the doll's hair into what I wanted, and cut up the clothes to make my own fashions. I also had a three level Barbie house that I ruined because it lacked real amenities such as a bath tub. So I created my own with a cookie tin and water which soaked the cardboard floor and collapsed.

So fast forward to around the early 2000, I find out about Super Dollfies. Ball jointed dolls from a Japanese company called Volks (The same company Venus Angelic got hers) They're these large 16 or 25 inch (depending on type) dolls that are realistic and customizable. As an artist and sculptor, as soon as I saw those I had to have one. I got my first one in 2004 and as of now I have 8 dolls (not all from Volks) and two head parts that need bodies.

Personally I love sewing clothes and making props for these dolls. Afterwards I would photograph my work. I wanted to share my work and talk with others who also own these dolls which lead me to the site Den or Angels. In the beginning (early 2004-2009) it was fun. All the threads were interesting to read through. There was amazing doll tips, free patterns, and there was other doll owners who were great at sewing and photographing their dolls. Amazing work!

But later on things started to sour. It started to get boring and soon it was all about who got their hands on the newest, most expensive, one of a kind doll. Plus lots of drama."Don't buy this don't buy that, your doll isn't popular, use this type of pastel only for face ups, beware of these people who sell illegal copies of these dolls"...to just got bad and depressing. 

So after a while I left. I blog my work online but I refuse to join anymore doll groups.  I still go to conventions hosted by my favorite doll companies but I won't go to anything fan made.

Posted

I kind of left the True Blood fandom because the author wasn't very good at writing, and although her story was interesting and somewhat good , She ruined Eric Northman and Sookie's relationship.

About the TV series, I had a very bad love-hate relationship with it. So when she finally gets another Love interest that is interesting ( Warlow, they screw it up again instead of developing that storyline)... I don't know...  The TV producers of the last seasons were too much into her adn .

Both the Books and TV show screwed up Sookie's most meaningful relationship. 

Posted

I'm into kpop. I would leave my faves if I don't enjoy their music anymore or I don't want to support them. A really big scandal needs to happen for that tho lol A bad album or a little issue might make me feel sad? But nothing serious.

On the other hand, I'm not into the fandoms actually. I like to be called "EXO-L" (for example) but I'm not in touch with them? They have a lot of scandals and bad attitudes but my love for the group is stronger :D

If I leave a fandom it would be... because of the poor things the fans did, and the group itself might not be a real deal for me.

Sorry for the bad english OTL

Posted

I leave a fandom when it stops becoming a positive experience for me. A lot of times that happens because most fans are just too fanatical. They passionately love the characters/pairings they like and violently hate any that they don't. It's hard to find middle ground. Most recently I left the Tokyo Ghoul fandom. I wasn't loving the series that much anymore, but a lot of the fan's reaction to some of the recent events made me quit both the series and fandom all together.

I will also quit a fandom that has a large morality police. It's ridiculous that we have gotten to the point where people think it's okay to harrass someone and call them a pedophile because they ship a 17-year-old with a 22-year-old.

Posted (edited)

I leave a fandom when they start to have a "Special Snowflake Syndrome".

I'll explain: it happens when a fandom has a superiority over other fandoms or stuff, simply they play the "Victim Card" and are always crying "You ruined it" or "You offended me". One example, in my own experience, is Vocaloid fandom, every year, when there's the popular fandom of the year (yeah, 4 years is actually enough to me for say this) has their parodies made just for fun, they attack them bc they "ruined" the song, of course, i decided to leave this fandom this year, but is because i joined to a fandom who is making parodies with Vocaloid songs and i feel afraid, i know this will not solve anything. Simply i think a fandom attacking other fandom is pretty low. :alpacadone:

Other reason is when i know the "True colors", i know this reason is more about the creators more than the creation, but sometimes, the creation can have links with the creators, make it really hard to don't notice it. Of course a good example is the Yansim fandom, i mean, YS is actually the mirror of Yandev, and sadly, the fandom is their mirror too. Due to all the drama and stuff that happened, a lot of people (me, of course) decided to leave it. :alpacasad:

Edited by Momota

Posted

I had a vk stint, like back in 2004-2010 and mainly got out bc it seemed like EVERY ARTIST KEPT DYING OR QUITTING. Then as an escape i slowly shifted to kpop as a goof but got rly into exo when they first started but after a fallout w a fellow stan, i had a break from all kpop stuff online, i still listened to the music but seriously... after the break? even the slightest aegyo will make me cringe. I just can't get over the fact that these are like 17-30 something dudes acting all cutesy even tho most of them are fucking overworked and aaagh. I don't know, i just try to avoid that shit as much as i can bc everytime i just feel awful for the idols. And yea as someone mentioned, the fucking army comments and cosplayers and the general over the top kbooness just...very off putting. glad i'm out. but i hope all the best for the idols themselves.

Posted

I'm the quiet type of fan at everything (anime, kpop, cartoons). Like, I don't like ship wars, discussing or screaming more than gossips and jokes. I was never in big groups of people because of a fandom or anything, I just show my shit to my friends and enjoy fanarts, doing cosplay, etc.

Maybe if there is some drama I tell my opinion and then bye or just ignore it, but I'm not interested on those things as a PERSONAL thing.

If I leave a fandom is because i'm not interested anymore or a big shit happening with the creator (for example that he's a misogynist, idk)