• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Best time to go to the gym?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

So yesterday I paid for my gym membership and I'm gonna start next month (it's a new place and they won't be open until then) but I was wondering when is the best time to go since I hate crowded places and I'd prefer to exercise without too many people around me. 

Also, what should I wear? I'm 89iq when it comes to this cause I've never exercised before, ofc I was thinking of a t-shirt and sweatpants but is there an specific type or brand that is better and more comfortable? I don't like showing off skin and all the sport clothes for women I've seen at stores is very revealing. :frowny:

Posted

Most gyms are less crowded in the early morning.

i don't worry about brands,I just wear what I got

Posted

I guess in the morning ? For clothes just wear a sport bra and wear a regular tshirt on top plus sweatpants I doubt everyones gonna judge you depending on what brand you wear don't worry about it

Posted

I agree with going in the morning, less people & a great way to wake yourself up. You'll probably want to shower after your workout tho, so make sure to keep that in mind.

If you don't want to show off skin it's totally normal to wear a shirt or long sleeve. Look for moisture wicking workout tops or cotton is a good choice. I use old tshirts I have around. You should also get a good sports bra. If your chest is on the smaller side you'll be fine with small/medium impact sports bras, but if you're on the bigger side you'll definitely want a high impact sports bra (this refers to the amount of support it offers) & it's usually stated on the tag. 

Don't worry too much about brands, I don't think anyone would care enough to approach you about it.

Posted

Thank you so much, everyone. I didn't know there was different types of sport bras (I was actually considering using my regular bras), so thanks specially for that. 

I asked about brands not because I think people will be staring at me to see what I'm wearing but just in case there was one that is better quality or something like that. 

I'm pretty excited to start, if anyone has music suggestions for working out I'd appreciate it. :alpacaheadshake:

Posted

Ah I also wanted to know this thank you :alpacashocked: and does anyone know what is the best food you can get before going to gym in the morning? I looked this up but there's alot of contradicting answers.

Posted

Ah I also wanted to know this thank you :alpacashocked: and does anyone know what is the best food you can get before going to gym in the morning? I looked this up but there's alot of contradicting answers.

i go to the gym at night, but if i were going in the morning i would probably have maybe eggs, fruit and oatmeal. because eggs have protein and oatmeal has carbs. and fruit because it has sugar in it. maybe something dairy related? to have a whole meal? 

just remember that it would be considered your breakfast, and breakfast is really important to get all the whole foods you need. because it practically sustains you all day. and going to the gym burns up a lot of what you consume. a small snack after your workout would be good too.

what kind of workouts will you be doing? whenever i do lifting i always make sure to have a protein shake afterwards. 

Posted

i go to the gym at night, but if i were going in the morning i would probably have maybe eggs, fruit and oatmeal. because eggs have protein and oatmeal has carbs. and fruit because it has sugar in it. maybe something dairy related? to have a whole meal? 

just remember that it would be considered your breakfast, and breakfast is really important to get all the whole foods you need. because it practically sustains you all day. and going to the gym burns up a lot of what you consume. a small snack after your workout would be good too.

what kind of workouts will you be doing? whenever i do lifting i always make sure to have a protein shake afterwards. 

I'm not sure of the names in english but I will be working  with weights too, not exactly lifting, but the leg press, glutes machine, shoulder press that sort of stuff. I'm gonna start going in the morning in a few days, right now I only eat cereal which I know isn't enough but I'm always in a hurry until college is over. Also I'm underweight and I have a really fast metabolism which is an inconvenience for me, I'm trying to put on 10 kilos :alpacadone: I've looked that up also, I will be drinking a shake of banana + honey + milk + bits of oats, do you think it's a good mix?  

Posted

In my experience it's quietest at lunch time. Very early in the morning there's always people who want to get excersise in before work/school, later in the morning it's mostly mom's and older people, around lunch time it's quiet, in the early afternoon still old people mostly, in the evening it's rush hour.

Posted

I go at night, it's less people and its more convenient with my schedule. Uh with me I just either wear shorts or yoga pants and a sleeveless shirt. I used to be self conscious about going (which is why I started my first day at night) but I soon realize no one is looking and no one cares about you they're all focusing on themselves. I find it rather peaceful at night haha .

Posted

I go at night because I can have a hot shower and fall asleep much easier :alpacacrush:

Posted

I'm a PT. When I worked in a box gym this is what I noticed. 

Monday & tuesday

6am-7.30 AM slightly busy

7.30-9 am quieten down

9am-2pm dead quiet

2pm-3pm people trickle in

3pm-7pm peak hour

7pm-9pm steady

after 9 seems to be one or 2 people at a time. 

3am for some reason was busy

wednesday and thursday was similar but slightly less busy

Friday was dead by 12. Weekends were patchy but busy in a nice manner (more sat then sun)

With clothing, It's gonna get worn down anyway. I lift 3 times a week and wear k mart (australia) leggings and they do just fine. They cost me $20. My Lorna Jane leggings cost $106, seem to use a similar pattern and legit are the same material. My Lorna Janes broke first, The kmart ones have lasted longer. I recommend tight clothing or well fitted as the machines can catch on the baggier stuff. I literally wear mens polo shirts as they breath, don't reveal too much and are comfy. I also reccomend getting some mens worker or sports socks. May sound weird, but they tend to absorb sweat more, give ankle support (when lifting) and I just find they tend to be better quality then the womens ones. 

so for best results carbs within half an hour before start of the workout and protein within half an hour after the workout (due to catabolic and anabolic state). But technically it makes only 5% (if that) difference. That's the basis that they teach in PT school. As long as you get the correct protien for your body weight you will gain muscle (unless you are on a calorie deficit) and as long as you are on a calorie deficit you will lose weight.  

I also personally find strait black coffee to be effective as a pre workout. 

I'm not sure of the names in english but I will be working  with weights too, not exactly lifting, but the leg press, glutes machine, shoulder press that sort of stuff. I'm gonna start going in the morning in a few days, right now I only eat cereal which I know isn't enough but I'm always in a hurry until college is over. Also I'm underweight and I have a really fast metabolism which is an inconvenience for me, I'm trying to put on 10 kilos :alpacadone: I've looked that up also, I will be drinking a shake of banana + honey + milk + bits of oats, do you think it's a good mix?  

If you want to put on 10kg, have a glass of full milk. It's packed with protein which helps build lean mass. We knew a guy who had a fast metabolism. He drank a litre of milk a day and he bulked up. I also suggest eating properly. You could meal prep. Spend 1 day off making food and freeze some of it for later on in the week. 

Posted

Very early in the morning and then in the evening. If you run in the morning you will continue to lose calories through the day! If you work out at night you will be more losing calories during your restorative state! Either one is good but I personally like the morning better.