• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

How did she learn Japanese so fast?

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey you guys, I have a question. I'm half Japanese, but my dad (who is Japanese) never taught me the language. When I first came across Dakotas tumblr, I really liked her. She looked like a real life anime. I saw a couple of vids from her recently and omg she's so fluent!!! It shocked me. I've been learning Japanese for 4 weeks and I'm so frustrated, It's so hard :( so hooowww did Dakota learnd Japanese so dang fast? Like in 2/3 years. She can even write in kanji has she ever mentioned smt? 

Posted

'2/3 years' is substantially longer than 4 weeks..

One cannot reasonably expect to learn any language in 4 weeks, even if you studied every possible waking moment and had an eidetic memory. Also when learning any language, it's practically mandatory that you use it quite regularly if you wish to retain it. Certainly one way to do this is to migrate to a country that features this language as the official language..

Perhaps your question would be better suited for a language forum, like google 'learn japanese forum' and you will find plenty.

Posted

'2/3 years' is substantially longer than 4 weeks..

One cannot reasonably expect to learn any language in 4 weeks, even if you studied every possible waking moment and had an eidetic memory. Also when learning any language, it's practically mandatory that you use it quite regularly if you wish to retain it. Certainly one way to do this is to migrate to a country that features this language as the official language..

Perhaps your question would be better suited for a language forum, like google 'learn japanese forum' and you will find plenty.

just so u know eidetic memory is somewhat of a myth and doesnt actually exist and people use misguided scientific studies to prove that it exists but many many many real scientists will agree there is no evidence that eidetic memory is real and they'll often tell you it all started as a money scam back in the day with magic shows.... js js, spread da word :^)

Posted (edited)

Kota hasn't mentioned it much and when she does get asked how she's become so fluent it seems she underplays it (like in this interview where she makes as if she learned the language by watching 1 anime) 

My guess is the old 'the best way to learn is to immerse yourself in the culture'~ that initial video interview she did when she came to Japan for the first time was almost entirely in English; it was clear she couldn't scrape together much Japanese.

But I think her official move to Japan (coupled with the fact that she was a foreigner not knowing many others in Tokyo and with nothing to do but watch more anime/perhaps study the language while holed up in her apartment) made it quite convenient for her to learn.

Edited by dreaminjapanese

Posted

Immersion and necessity helps a lot.

Posted

I heard that she watched a lot of TV, and movies and shit, it shit. It helped her a lot. And it helped me too. It helps for everyday conversations but she's definitely not fluent when she first got to Japan. She probably improved and worked on it, unlike our dear Taylor. 

Posted

Ska'2/3 years' is substantially longer than 4 weeks..

Perhaps your question would be better

suited for a language forum, like google 'learn japanese forum' and you will find plenty.

I think the difference between Taylor and Dakota is that Taylor is rich. She don't need to be really successful in Japan, her boyfriend her parents and also her YouTube account help her a lot! Koti needed to learn Japanese because she wants so stay in Tokyo. But Tokyo is expensive, and her parents don't help her out. Nevermind i like Taylor tho! She seems really down to earth and thank god she quit that fake doll Look. But I get your point! 

I heard that she watched a lot of TV, and movies and shit, it shit. It helped her a lot. And it helped me too. It helps for everyday conversations but she's definitely not fluent when she first got to Japan. She probably improved and worked on it, unlike our dear Taylor. 

I think the difference between Taylor and Dakota is that Taylor is rich. She don't need to be really successful in Japan, her boyfriend her parents and also her YouTube account help her a lot! Koti needed to learn Japanese because she wants so stay in Tokyo. But Tokyo is expensive, and her parents don't help her out. Nevermind i like Taylor tho! She seems really down to earth and thank god she quit that fake doll Look. But I get your point! ^_^

Posted

I think it might come down to good old fashioned will power. If Dakota wanted a long term career in Japan, to become some sort of public figure there then she would have known that she'd need to learn the language. She probably studied hard and maybe even got tutored. Downplaying how she learned is probably a tactic so people find her more impressive.

Taylor admitted in a recent video she went through a phase of wanting to be a Japanese doll and met with her tutor frequently, but once that phase ended so did her drive to learn Japanese. 

Posted

Well, Dakota lived and worked with native speakers for a good chunk of that time which makes learning go a lot faster. Plus her agency got her a tutor. Even so, Dakota didn't become decently conversational until about 2015 when she started doing Talent work. But she and her agency made it look like she was. Even now, she is upper level conversational not fluent. She doesn't have the vocabulary or grammar to be considered so.  What she does have which helps her along tremendously is exceptionally good pronunciation and intonation (for a foreigner), a knowledge of slang, and a lot of confidence in speaking ( which makes her sound more natural).

So my advice- if you want to speak like Dakota- is to find a Japanese person to live with or talk with regularly and then mimic what you hear. Supplement with actual books to learn the kanji, keigo, and the rest of the minutia. But be careful that you adapt what you learn to fit you, so that you don't end up sounding like a rude old man (unless that's what you want to sound like, then go ahead).

And to anyone in this thread who believes that she learned Japanese from TV. music, anime, or comedy shows (whatever her most recent lie is) know that she's changed her story at least five times. The truth is probably a combination of immersion and old fashioned studying due to the necessity for her work.

Posted

Look up 'Tao Kim's Guide to Japanese' on Google and go to the website. It has pages of free stuff to help you learn Japanese.

Posted

And to anyone in this thread who believes that she learned Japanese from TV. music, anime, or comedy shows (whatever her most recent lie is) know that she's changed her story at least five times. The truth is probably a combination of immersion and old fashioned studying due to the necessity for her work.

I agree with everything you said, but from personal experience, music anime, variety shows, TV drama and movies has helped me quite a bit. Sure I studied a lot by myself too, but if I didn't use those mediums to familiarize myself with slang, pronunciation, commonly made jokes, dialects, etc, it would have been really hard for me to socialize. It's obvious that she's didn't learn Japanese from only watching variety shows. For people who can't surround themselves with people, it's a pretty okay alternative. 

Posted

You're right. It is useful. Didn't mean to jump down your throat.:alpacaheadshake:

I just used to get annoyed with her constantly making up stories (way before she could really speak) about how she learned Japanese just from tv/anime/music. Probably her dumbest lie was when she said that she learned from watching Downtown DX while living in Florida. As if. 

Posted

TV/anime/video games helped me a lot, it's where the most practical and conversational Japanese will come from. If you can get Japanese subs (with eng too) it'll help so much to see and listen to it at the same time. Also, old school games like Final Fantasy 9 is a good option, I was able to find 90% of the script on some japanese site. I also found the japanese script for FF13, read a chapter ahead of where I was, translated out the words etc - helped so much.

I also had a tutor which helped a lot. Then I studied abroad. At my uni in Japan I was in the higher level of Japanese but a lot of it was complicated grammar where I could say the same thing in a simpler form. 

All together, I'd say it took me like 3~4 years to get really good. By no means not fluent but pretty good and I had zero problems living in Japan.

Plus, considering that she's not really socially active, I guess she has a lot time to dedicate to studying or absorbing it.

Posted

My way was text books, apps, etc. Other than English and Spanish( learned from both parents and blah blah) that's how I learned most of the languages I can speak. Well except for sign because you obviously can't speak it. Anyway, any language no matter how easy it is it can take awhile to speak it fluently. Even then slang has to be learned talking to native speakers. Like Spanish. Though it is considered an easy language to learn for English speakers, you can't learn it for one year and hope to only use it in  Montevideo and hope that's all you'll need. You'll get lost and need help. My best advice if you can't immerse yourself quickly is to study at least an hour everyday.

Posted

Weaboo Perhaps?