• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Kpop scandals

837 posts in this topic

Posted

Goo Hye Sun: "I've retired from the entertainment industry." 

Goo Hye Sun two weeks later: "I'm putting out a new song" 

This chick gets nutsier by the day. 

Posted (edited)

So I saw a new pic with Becky G and J-Hope (they'll most likely collab) and it seems that J-Hope has .. Drum role please...
DREADS
What idiot stylist do they need to fire. Everyone in those companies who decide on things like that should know not to put dreads on idols by now.
What do you guys think, is it going to be a scandal? Y/Y? Is Bighit going to apologize later claiming they didn't know anything about it? Y/Y?
ETA
Apparently they're gel twists and not dreads, my mistake

Edited by nopancakes

Posted

So I saw a new pic with Becky G and J-Hope (they'll most likely collab) and it seems that J-Hope has .. Drum role please...
DREADS
What idiot stylist do they need to fire. Everyone in those companies who decide on things like that should know not to put dreads on idols by now.
What do you guys think, is it going to be a scandal? Y/Y? Is Bighit going to apologize later claiming they didn't know anything about it? Y/Y?

It's gel twists... It was a trend in the 90s/early 2000s. Do you really think Bighit would do cultural appropriation NOW and completely ruin their money makers? They don't even look like dreads lol because his hair is just wet. 

Posted

Sorry if this is an ignorant question but is it possible that bighit wants bts to perform in saudi arabia to improve Korea and Saudi Arabia’s relationship? If so idk if it’s bts’s fault since even though they’re getting international fame they’re still a tool for the Korean government in the end. Unfortunately now is a really bad time to go to Saudi Arabia because of some of the problems they’ve caused 

i just hope they end up cancelling and I’m not even a fan

Posted

Sorry if this is an ignorant question but is it possible that bighit wants bts to perform in saudi arabia to improve Korea and Saudi Arabia’s relationship? If so idk if it’s bts’s fault since even though they’re getting international fame they’re still a tool for the Korean government in the end. Unfortunately now is a really bad time to go to Saudi Arabia because of some of the problems they’ve caused 

i just hope they end up cancelling and I’m not even a fan

I'm pretty sure the reason they chose to perform there was the money. 

Posted

It's gel twists... It was a trend in the 90s/early 2000s. Do you really think Bighit would do cultural appropriation NOW and completely ruin their money makers? They don't even look like dreads lol because his hair is just wet. 

Ah,  I saw a crap screenshot of the pic and then a drawing that looked like dreads.  I don't live in the US so I don't know, but does that mean that gel twists (even though they're also from the afro-american community) are cool and not considered CA? Or am I completely wrong and gel twists have nothing to do with the black community? I can find some stuff of the origin of twists, but not on gel twists.

Posted

I thought ghs said she's retiring from the entertainment industry and yet she wants to release a song about it?????????????

Posted

Agree that they weren't special (and still aren't, sorry not sorry lol) .

Don't forget the scandals about them being too emotionless and bored and of course the misogyonistic ones, which they had several times. People don't really remember it, because ARMY's act like it never existed and people only really concentrate on SM's scandals, popular (rookie) girl group ones and now YG ones too

I forgot about their misogynistic scandals. 

Stans like to bring up ahl too. They make it sound like they spend years living in America, being mentored by hip hop legends and that they had some kind of hip hop awakening. Ahl was a reality show, they only spend a month in L.A ~experiencing~ hip hop. and this is trivial but it bothers me they didn't do it in new york.

I don't understand why stans try to make them more "woke" than they actually are. They need to stop projecting, it'll only hurt bts and themselves in the long run.

Posted

Ah,  I saw a crap screenshot of the pic and then a drawing that looked like dreads.  I don't live in the US so I don't know, but does that mean that gel twists (even though they're also from the afro-american community) are cool and not considered CA? Or am I completely wrong and gel twists have nothing to do with the black community? I can find some stuff of the origin of twists, but not on gel twists.

That's ok. Sorry if I sounded rude. Yeah, the single cover does look like dreads but his actual hairstyle just looks really wet and stringy. It's not a good look, CA or not. Gel twists are apart of the Afro-American community, but J-hope's hair still doesn't look like the ones on google images. Since, they use it to protect their curls. I don't even think they're called gel twists tbh. Just a gel hairstyle that has been parted "wrongly". It was big in the early 2000s. I'm not sure, I think people just need to wait until the music video comes out to really make a judgement because the photo isn't that good, and they could have learnt from their mistakes after the photo was distributed. But even if they did do it as "cultural appropriation", I think it was more appreciation, since the song is going to be all about embracing cultures. It's not like when they did if for Mic Drop or back in debut. 

Posted (edited)

DREADS
ETA
Apparently they're gel twists and not dreads, my mistake

gel twists is still a black hairstyle and still appropriation. Google “gel twists” and see who’s 99% of the result. 

@tokyoyoongi: something tells me that they don’t care like most companies lol

this whole song sounds like a mess. Childhood song my ass. 

Edited by Zeldurr
Bad formatting lol

Posted

gel twists is still a black hairstyle and still appropriation. Google “gel twists” and see who’s 99% of the result. 
@tokyoyoongi: something tells me that they don’t care like most companies lol

this whole song sounds like a mess. Childhood song my ass. 

Read my response above. His hairstyle doesn't even look like the images on google that would be considered appropriation. It doesn't even have the same texture. Because I don't even think they're gel twists. People are just calling them that because they're certainly not dreads. Its honestly an insult to call them any Afro-American hairstyle because it just looks wet and messy. Try again because BigHit is probably the only company that does care for educating their stylists. 

Posted

Read my response above. His hairstyle doesn't even look like the images on google that would be considered appropriation. It doesn't even have the same texture. Because I don't even think they're gel twists. People are just calling them that because they're certainly not dreads. Its honestly an insult to call them any Afro-American hairstyle because it just looks wet and messy. Try again because BigHit is probably the only company that does care for educating their stylists. 

Just a question, are you black? Cause if not, I honestly don’t feel like going back and forth on what cultural appropriation is and isn’t. 

And BH certainly didn’t care when they debuted and they haven’t done a hip hop concept in a while cause they’re gearing their music towards a “wider audience” aka White teenaged girls.

of course his texture wouldn’t look the same as a black man cause he doesn’t have that hair texture. That doesn’t mean they didn’t attempt tho. 

Aside from his hair, I’ll wait till the video comes out cause maybe it’ll be a nice surprise where they stay in their lanes. 

Posted (edited)

Just a question, are you black? Cause if not, I honestly don’t feel like going back and forth on what cultural appropriation is and isn’t. 

And BH certainly didn’t care when they debuted and they haven’t done a hip hop concept in a while cause they’re gearing their music towards a “wider audience” aka White teenaged girls.

of course his texture wouldn’t look the same as a black man cause he doesn’t have that hair texture. That doesn’t mean they didn’t attempt tho. 

Aside from his hair, I’ll wait till the video comes out cause maybe it’ll be a nice surprise where they stay in their lanes. 

Yes I am. Are you? You do have a point but times have changed a lot since 2013 so that's not really a good example. They debuted with a hip hop concept then they transitioned into the artsy one for Wings, which got them big overseas, then they continued because of the success, and If Bighit didn't learn from their mistakes then TXT would've 100% had the same concept as old BTS. But they don't. I'm not one to support a kpop company but that doesn't mean I won't give Bighit credit for being an educated company, probably the most educated company. J-hope's Mic Drop hairstyle was confirmed to be plaits and they still apologised because of the unnecessary drama from antis, so if cultural appropriation was their intention then let's just wait for the letter. Well, if he doesn't have that hair texture then it's most likely not cultural appropriation. If they were actually trying to attempt the hairstyle then they would've damaged his hair to effectively create the texture as well. Like take Kai for example. Anyway, I think people should just wait till the music video comes out before going back and through about it, since it's not permanently set in stone yet. 

Edited by tokyoyoongi

Posted

Armys were the first ones ripping into Jackson when he had a similar hairstyle, but somehow now that it’s their fave, it’s “just” gel twists. If you’re going to call out CA, have the same energy for everyone .

but also, did you guys hear the song? Since I loved the original when I was young, I knew this one wouldn’t live up to it(just admitting my bias).  But Apparently the original was a take on socioeconomics in Harlem? I’m not sure? So some people were cringing at his comparison of Gwangju to Harlem.