• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Kpop scandals

512 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

EDIT: This will be now be a thread dedicated to Kpop scandals in general. 

Here's an example: There was a scandal when Rap Monster from BTS called out two bandmates (J-Hope and my precious V) for being 'too black' when he first met them. 

Screen_Shot_2017-05-27_at_8.43.31_PM.thu

You guys can discuss this or other scandals here. If a mod could move this to "General" that would be great. :alpacaheadshake:

Edited by mushroom

Posted

Namjoon Kim (aka Rap Monster) is a Korean rapper who is part of the popular Kpop BTS. He's fluent in English and is really good at rapping. But there was a scandal when he called out two bandmates (J-Hope and my precious V) for 'too black' when he first met them. 

Screen_Shot_2017-05-27_at_8.43.31_PM.thu

Now remember, this was in 2015, and he's apologized for saying that. But what do you guys think? Someone suggested someone should create a thread because apparently he's also been problematic???

poor translation?

Posted

poor translation?

Maybe but if you look it up there's some articles about it too.

Posted

Maybe but if you look it up there's some articles about it too.

just saw the video of the interview. could have been worded way better. not sure why he decided that was a good answer too. 

Posted (edited)

He did have some scandals back then but he always admitted his fault and publicly apologized for what he did so I still like Namjoon a lot up until now :alpacacrush:

- said by a BTS fangirl

Edited by min_thu

Posted

The thing about him though, is he's made multiple videos, streams, interviews etc where he's specifically pointed out his fuckups (even in the lyrics in their songs, for example, he revisited "Westside 'til I die" and said in an interview that it was never his place to say that). He hasn't done or said anything remotely problematic for a very long time, as far as I know. He made mistakes, realized they were wrong on his own, owned up and apologized publicly, and moved on and didn't do it again. Most idols don't do that.

Posted (edited)

If you want a truly racist incident, try Heo Chanmi posting a picture (snow filter) of two gorillas with bananas, then liking a comment on it that said "The Obamas...😂😂" That's way more disturbing. 

(Also, if you wanted more info, you could have probably just search him up on Twitter or Tumblr, and I can promise you there are multiple threads/posts that have everything he's done, mostly created by people bandwagon hating. He's literally the scapegoat for the problematic side of Kpop now, even though he reflects on his mistakes and apologizes and changes.) 

Yeah, I'm super pressed about this thread lmao 

Edited by explojin

Posted

i feel like instead of having a thread dedicated to namjoon we have one just about problematic kpop idols in general? there are some waaayy worse than him 

Posted

i feel like instead of having a thread dedicated to namjoon we have one just about problematic kpop idols in general? there are some waaayy worse than him 

And isn't RM like one of the only idols that ever apologizes for these kinds of controversies? And he hasn't committed anything like this since 2015, either. He's probably one of the only idols who shows that they can take their undeniably gross bad choices like these and show us that they grow from them (in music or interviews), imo :doge:

Anyways, i also don't get why this is a thread just for him.

Posted

And isn't RM like one of the only idols that ever apologizes for these kinds of controversies? And he hasn't committed anything like this since 2015, either. He's probably one of the only idols who shows that they can take their undeniably gross bad choices like these and show us that they grow from them (in music or interviews), imo :doge:

He's then the only one ive seen who continuously apologizes. MAMAMOO apologized for the recent blackface incident too, which is good. 

This thread was bc simply_kenna likes/biases Namjoon and idk I guess they were arguing about it in her thread. 

Posted (edited)

Idk this guy and idc about kpop but just rudely interrupting to say that this is more than a black-people-or-racism-related issue. Just saying in case someone thinks what he said has anything to do with black people and to prevent derailment or something. 

Edited by saltycookie

Posted

Unfortunately for RM, I don't think his apologies became very popular, as in, they were only known to fans who follow them closely. There weren't articles and articles about him apologizing, because he apologized for things he did years and months previously and everyone either kinda forgot those things happened or stopped giving a shit. He didn't necessarily have to apologize, but he did.

And because of this, like explojin said above, people kinda latch onto RM as the token problematic idol because, especially at their debut, he did some things that were inexcusable. People did NOT like RM during their debut-N.O eras. People are swift to brush things that other BTS members do (even recently) under the rug, but when RM's problematic past is brought up, it's always an immediate visceral reaction of "oh yeah, fuck that guy, he hates black people" even when RM hasn't done anything in a long time, and most folks are unaware that he even apologized. I still see folks witch hunting him on twitter all the time. You'd think he's Shindong, ffs.

Posted

If you want a truly racist incident, try Heo Chanmi posting a picture (snow filter) of two gorillas with bananas, then liking a comment on it that said "The Obamas...😂😂" That's way more disturbing. 

(Also, if you wanted more info, you could have probably just search him up on Twitter or Tumblr, and I can promise you there are multiple threads/posts that have everything he's done, mostly created by people bandwagon hating. He's literally the scapegoat for the problematic side of Kpop now, even though he reflects on his mistakes and apologizes and changes.) 

Yeah, I'm super pressed about this thread lmao 

just looked that up. all kinds of disgusting. 

did she ever apologize for that?

she seemed horrible in PD101 and i am NOT surprised that it was not due to mnets devil editing but her own terrible personality.