Any tips you've seen that has better your skin ?

22 posts in this topic

Posted

I have acne and being vegan i thought i wouldn't get acne anymore any tips or advise ?

Posted

Honestly I tell this to every person with acne/acne-pro skin : go see a doctor. It's the only way to effectively deal with the problem.

Paying attention to your diet, having a healthy lifestyle or buying skincare products will only reduce or "cover up the mess" if I can say, it won't fix it.

Posted (edited)

I suffered a lot from adult acne and what I've learned over the years is:

1) Don't overstrip your skin when you clean. That means don't strip your skin of the oils so it feels squeaky clean. That's the worse thing you can do. The reason is that your skin needs oil to stay moisturized and if you strip it, it's going to over produce oil in reaction to being over stripped. Use oil based cleaners to remove makeup/sunscreen and if you feel like it use a mild non-foaming cleanser to do a second pass. Foaming agents in cleansers strip the skin which is why you don't want a foaming cleanser. You can try a glycerine based soap since glycerine is a naturally moisturizing cleanser.

2) Choose cleaners close to the same pH as your skin. If your skin is too alkaline or too acidic, you can also wreak havoc on your skin. 

3) exfoliate gently. I use a Clarisonic. I only use one setting so you can just get the cheapest one. My skin was oily but dehydrated. Basically so clogged with oil and dry rough skin that didn't exfoliate itself well that I got a lot of clogged pores. The brush is expensive but worth it.

My skin is annoying because the dehydration causes flakey scaly skin that doesn't absorb moisturizers and also traps the oil that is being produced by my sebum glands because I used to over strip my skin. It took about two months to get some results and about four months to clear up most of the breakouts but after years of trying different things, the result is that I just have to be gentler to my skin.

Something else that helped is spot treating with salicylic acid products to exfoliate gently. It's a chemical exfoliant. It can irritate your skin so don't use it on areas that are sensitive.

4) Use an oil to prep and moisturize your skin. If you do syrup your skin the best thing to do is to moisturize with an oil based moisturizer. Sounds weird but like I said, your skin produces its own pills because it needs it. Oil also absorbs really easily into skin so if you layer anything else on over it, whatever you layer will be absorbed more easily as well. I layer my AHA moisturizer over it. 

That's it...be kind to your skin! I use minimal products on it. Oil cleanser, gentle moisturizing cleanser, oil, moisturizer, eye cream and sunscreen. Sometimes I indulge in a mask. I only wear makeup if I'm going out because my skin looks pretty good for normal day to day now. It's better not to load a ton of products on your skin because you never know if one ingredient will have a reaction with another.

And drink lots of water! Limit your sugar intake. Fruits are fine but spikes in sugar affects your collagen and oil production....being vegan won't affect your skin much. I was vegetarian and my skin was at its worse for those years.

Edited by Cpta

Posted

I use rattlesnake soap

Posted (edited)

removing dairy... i mean, I don't like milk so its easy for me to avoid dairy. I only have hormonal breakouts but if I drink milk I get pretty huge pus filled pimples.

Edited by ilovebruises
I realize you're already vegan.. sorry about that

Posted

I found drinking pretty much exclusively water, and lots of it, really helped my skin. I also use a product called Clean & Clear Advantage acne spot treatment for my breakouts. The sun makes my acne worse, so I have a non-comodegenic sunscreen for my face.

Posted

same with the above, i get very bad breakouts and they usually take a couple days to calm down. once they're calmed down the redness still stays but the bumps are less noticeable. for the past days i've been drinking a LOT of water and eating a lot of fruit (mostly berries) and today i woke up really shocked. i've tried a healthy diet before but it didnt change anything besides making my bumps less noticeable. i think water played a huge role in it bc although i did eat healthy before i didn't drink a lot of water and mostly relied on juice and tea.

Posted

I have bad rosacea and rose hip oil has helped me get rid of the redness :)

its also ethical! (I'm vegan too)

Posted

Get a cold/upper respiratory tract infection. Whenever I get something like that my face miraculously clears up. Thank you immune system for giving my face the attention it deserves. Not like I can go out anywhere to show off my clear face but you know...

(please don't do this)

Posted

what cpta said was v good advice!

i would also suggest oil cleansing, it sounds counter intuitive but the oil draws out oil and make up and whatever is clogging your pores. 

also honey + turmeric masks do wonders!

if nothing seems to be helping, it might be hormonal. see a doctor. i've tried so many different treatments that didn't really work, but as soon as i started birth control my skin cleared right up, i regret not trying that sooner. 

Posted

ive started using african black soap recently and i feel like its really good for my skin... i didnt break out strongly since (i dont have acne prone skin tho, im talking about random breakouts) and it doesnt leave my skin feeling dried out. also diluted tea trea oil is good for spot treatment, but overusing it can cause the opposite effect :alpacaworry2: 

Posted

I have very good experience with the results of using ASAP products. I've used their products for at least a year now and I will defenitely continue using them. Occasionally I get facial procedures done at http://www.spaandskin.com/ . My skin improved a lot.

Posted

cut milk from your diet, drink more water, and wear sunscreen daily. so many people leave sunscreen out of their skincare routine but its really important for the health of your skin especially if you live in sunnier areas. oh and cut out any products you use that have sodium laureth sulfate/sodium lauryl sulfate in them

Posted

For me controlling my diet and drinking atleast 2 liters water per day has helped me alot.

I am someone who breakouts when i eat really greasy or junk foods so i try to avoid those food and when i try to eat healthy my skin gets better.

Also removing makeup properly will help alot

Posted

I hope my experience helps!

Even if I eat lot of fruits and veggies I still break out and have bad skin. Making a Korean skincare routine also was more harmful than beneficial in the long run. (Even though I was getting close to my ideal skin, I got a nasty allergy and it's still with me) So, it may be best to not overdo things if you're really sensitive. Reset your skin for a few weeks. If possible, just wash your face with warm water and put a small amount of lotion. Let your face get used to it not getting stripped of oils anymore. Find sunscreens that don't irritate you. Then slowly add a product you might think would work.

For me only thing that has helped my acne these days is a light sulfur wash. Sulfur has been used for centuries, the most common example is in a hot spring! You can find sulfur soaps at the store... but it's better to get a controlled dosage from a dermatologist like 10% sodium sulfacetamide + 2% sulfur. You can ask for samples of varying strengths and application methods so you don't waste money. One of the sample tubes can be used up to 6 times in my experience, so it's a good investment to try it out. It's an antibacterial, it slowly dries out the pimples, and encourages light skin shedding. It also aids in many types of dermatitis. It's a very gentle alternative than what dermatologists usually prescribe first (like benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin, retinol...) So sulfur is a good option if you are sensitive and don't want a lot of pain (but there will still be some mild redness, itching, irritation because your top layer is shedding off, but nothing like the harsher prescriptions).

Other alternatives I liked were pure bentonite clay masks with a tiny bit of AVC, or African black soap (the real ones, don't use any that have any dye in the ingredients!)

Good luck! Everyone's acne routine is so unique and special, hope you find yours soon!