• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Taylor R - videos #2

8978 posts in this topic

Posted

idk if its just me but blair seems really unlikeable :alpacaconfused:

Posted

I figured they'd made a collab when Blair mentioned Taylor....I have no idea why, though.

It's not just you, mashedpotatoes, Blair is annoying and her content is pretty shit. She does "I eat like..." videos but only does it for 1 day and doesn't really speak about the pros and cons (not that she would know after ONE DAY) and basically always half asses it. She did a whole month of eating like Erika Costell but then admits she only did it for two weeks. All her titles are clickbait. She slurs all her words together. But the biggest kicker for me is the huge to-do her and her boyfriend (who is far more likeable but people don't seem to agree) made about "moving to England" and "getting visas" when it's 100% obvious they do not have visas and went to England on a tourist waiver. Pretty sure the Asia trip was a visa run to get another 3 months. They are living out of air b&b's and hotels and clearly are not working there, so no reason/qualifications to get visas whatsoever and they were bitching about the application process...it was just WEIRD. Blair has her own thread on Guru Gossip and she is just shady, like owning a company then making a video pretending said company waas "sponsoring her" in order to advertise it, etc etc.

I think Taylor should be more picky about who she collabs with.

Posted

do you think  taylor is gonna do vlogmas this year? :meowplz:

Posted

if she is I bet itll be even more spaced out than last years

Posted (edited)

I'm shocked to say this video didn't annoy me as I expected. I probably wouldn't follow Blair but she was less annoying vs when we first saw her.

Edit: idk why Taylor films at the entrances of businesses when you are in the way of people getting in and out. Take a video of it on the side and speak in a location that is out of the way.

Edited by saber932

Posted

*Random lurker swoops in*

I actually really enjoyed the video, it was entertaining, their energies matched (except maybe beginning was awkward) and it was fun to see what they ate on daily basis! I don't really understand why people dislike Blair's personality (the gurugossip shadiness aside). She seems like a really happy-go-lucky person and I feel like she really tried to appeal to Taylor and to like "get her approval" of things she got since she's on her channel. The girls obviously enjoyed their time together and overall it's one of my favourite videos Taylor put up recently (because I unsubbed her long time ago when her content just went down hill). 

HOWEVER, what I have INSANE problem with is the camera. I love Natalie, but what is she doing?? The camera is constantly shaky and unstable and placed in a bad angle. I don't mind the shakiness and odd angle if Taylor or Blair hold the camera themselves because it makes it more personal and they can't perfectly see how things are coming across. But when there's a 3rd person involved and HIRED (SHE'S BEING PAID FOR THIS???) to make the setting flow as professionally as it can, then do your job?? Taylor obviously won't fire her, maybe because she genuinely likes her and thinks of her as her friend, but I think even more than that it's that Taylor's fans think of Natalie that way. Taylor would basically end up back stabbing her if she fired her, even though she's clearly not good at her job. I'm sorry, but it just seems unacceptable to me. Taylor pays for the microphones and quality cameras to have a good image. She can't even edit it good even if she tried (or anyone else, if there's someone who's editing her videos now, idk and idc) because the shaky camera is literally the first sign of unprofessional channel. As this is Taylor's life and main income, I doubt she's very thrilled about Natalie's work. Again, I love Natalie as a person. She's wonderful and has that sarcastic charm to her that makes her likable, sometimes even more than Taylor herself. She's a valuable asset to Taylor's "brand" at this point. I don't see why Taylor doesn't make some sort of another creative arrangement with her and still have her in the videos, but hire someone else to handle the camera. Did anyone see that beginning when the girls were introducing themselves??? I got a headache from the start. Sorry for the rant, but I really hope Taylor (or even Natalie) sees this, I have no ill intentions with this. I think it's a constructive criticism that can help them improve. For Natalie, it's her skills. For Taylor, it's treating your employees as such. Be a boss that you like to think you are and call out people you give your money to when they don't do a good job. 

Posted

I think to Natalie's benefit, she's trained as a photographer and I don't know if she has any formal training as a camera person. I found Natalie's website, and it said she graduated with a BA in fine art photography.

My guess is that Taylor just hired someone not entirely suited to vlogging. Oh well, I think Natalie's camerawork should improve with time.

Posted

I actually kinda liked the video tbh. Not really hard to make or anything but I liked it. 

Sad that she said she only eats left overs now, she could be making recipe videos again, I think we all loved that.

Posted

I think to Natalie's benefit, she's trained as a photographer and I don't know if she has any formal training as a camera person. I found Natalie's website, and it said she graduated with a BA in fine art photography.

My guess is that Taylor just hired someone not entirely suited to vlogging. Oh well, I think Natalie's camerawork should improve with time.

I feel its gotten worse since she started. Also I believe when she got the job, taylor wasnt paying her a lot for her time.

I went and watched some of Safiya's videos after her collab with Taylor and... urgh Taylor always buys whatever gadgets her new inspiration of the time is using. Taylor never had (nor does she need) a lapel mic and after copying Saf... a lapel mike appears, same with Casey and the drone (which is now probably collecting dust in a closet). Idk why even Saf uses one because with her production level I'd except a damn boom mic in all honesty. I'm fairly sure Taylor went out and got an assistant bc Saf has 4 editors; she never had an assistant during her Casey phase bc Casey never had any assistants in doing his vlogs.

With Taylor's videos she doesn't need a lapel mic unless maybe she's going outside but I think lapel mics suffer from wireless interference especially in dense city areas. Her new mic situation is also so awkward because it's supposed to be hands free but you can see her carrying the portion of the mic that's supposed to fit in the waistline of your clothing so... why even get a lapel mic just use the camera's inbuilt mic or a desk mic.

Sorry this has barely anything to do with the video but I just needed another rant about her tech whims lol. Instead of copying whichever YTer she should test out products/ processes for herself, she has the money and time to do this but instead... she just buys/ does whatever her inspiration has/ is doing.

I still think someone helped with her editing behind the scenes in japan. They drastically changed or it's because someone is doing them now. 

Posted

I actually kinda liked the video tbh. Not really hard to make or anything but I liked it. 

Sad that she said she only eats left overs now, she could be making recipe videos again, I think we all loved that.

Not sure that eating leftovers is "sad"...

Posted

Just going to leave this here: Just because one has degree in photography, doesn't make him/her automatically great one.

Since Natalie became close friend to Taylor, it's probably too hard to voice out any critique. 

Posted

she loves Christmas so yes, I think she will

Posted

Not sure that eating leftovers is "sad"...

I meant sad as in: we wont get recipe videos anymore.

Posted

Just going to leave this here: Just because one has degree in photography, doesn't make him/her automatically great one.

Since Natalie became close friend to Taylor, it's probably too hard to voice out any critique. 

I should clarify that I meant Natalie is trained in photography, not videography which is what she's doing for Taylor. My point is that Taylor is making Natalie do things that she has no formal training in.

The fact that Taylor even hired anyone in the first place is meh, since Taylor doesn't need an assistant. Maybe a translator but that's about it.

I guess there needs to be someone else filming if she wants to do Saf style videos now.

Posted

i haven't finished the video yet but at 7:30 Taylor says "we're similar in that we like to try new things. And you were in medical school and law school" lmaoTaylor didn't even do her degree in nutrition. very similar