• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Taylor R - videos #2

8846 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

``

Edited by tttttttttt
``

Posted (edited)

I loved Taylor back when she would shop around in Japan for vegan items and recipes because I was also living in Japan and wanted to check out those places. That's why I think this was her best time, the 2016-2017 era. Her videos albeit boring, were useful to a lot of people or interesting to those who might not be vegan or like to cook, or live in Japan, but like a combination of those things. 

All she relies now is her nonexistent personality. Not having a personality isn't inherently bad, but when she pretends to be this wise, super positive, super #girlpower wannabe, it comes out flat and disingenuous. That's why she always misses the mark. We've been shown her true personality many times; she's rather sarcastic, has a type of sailor humor, and can definitely be funny when she isn't reaching for it. I don't understand why she can't just be herself instead of this fake girly, #bossbitch wannabe, super enlightened persona.

Not that any of this matters lol, she'll do what she wants. I just thought I'd share some of the things I've thought about her.

Maybe as Tom is a successful businessman, and he surely shows off all the time about it and must be very proud of it, she copied him and she claim herself a girlboss. Just because.

If her husband would be a dancer (to say something) she would be so into dance. She's like a sponge.

But Taylor lived in HK for years before, why doesn't she have friends from back then? She's been back in HK for a long time this time, as well. She didn't have any friends for her 4 years in Japan either....just the de facto foreign vlogger "friends" that got together for content but no real, organically met Japanese girl friends. She never bothers to learn the language of the country she is in even though for most young people 2 years in a country is all you need to become fluent in the language if you don't constantly surround yourself with expats, but she hasn't had any real friends for her entire tenure on Youtube.

Also could be that she is not interested in learning a second language because she can barely put her thoughts together in English. If it's hard for her to expres herself in English (and we can see that in her videos EVEN if she can edit them...), imagine talking in a second language. I think and speak faster and clearly in my first language at least. Maybe she realiced that when she tried to learn cantonese/japanese and gave up with languages because it's so much work. 

If she is going to live in Hong Kong longer, to speak cantonese would make a huge difference. I can't imagine myself living my whole live in a country where I don't speak the language...

Edited by Lily Sand
typo

Posted

W/ her old friends from when she was in HK the first time, I think it's possible that many have left? Many of them were models as well who were on contracts so unless they wanted to say in HK permanently it's likely that they've gone somewhere else to develop their career.

As for cantonese... Taylor's not unique in not learning it. Of all the European expats I've met, only 1 can be considered fluent and that's because he worked in government for ~3 decades. Many expats don't learn it for a number of reasons (lack of incentive since everyone speaks English, staying within expat circles, all signs/ menus/ instructions/ text have English translation, the tradition that English was the middle/ upper class language, and it's just a hard language to learn for westerners). I think it's changed in recent years, but having gone to international school myself... the amount of people who think they can just get around with English is still pretty high; this includes Chinese kids in the international school system as well.

So someone living there for 7+ years and not knowing any canto? It's still pretty common. Taylor's just perpetuating an already existing trend. It's worse for her though bc she doesn't have a full time job and she married a HKer so she could at least take the time out of her day to take a lesson...

Posted

Can I just say ... Maybe it's an "english thing" and I don't understand it fully because it's not my mother tongue/culture - but why call yourself a "girlboss"? Doesn't that defeat the actual idea you want to express?  You are a boss, no matter your sex. And most of all - you're a woman and no girl.

Sorry for interrupting ...

Posted

Can I just say ... Maybe it's an "english thing" and I don't understand it fully because it's not my mother tongue/culture - but why call yourself a "girlboss"? Doesn't that defeat the actual idea you want to express?  You are a boss, no matter your sex. And most of all - you're a woman and no girl.

Sorry for interrupting ...

i think its the idea of women being assertive in their own right. its not them being bitchy or bossy it's them being a strong woman, a girl boss, a woman that doesn't need anyone to make her life work.

Posted

i think its the idea of women being assertive in their own right. its not them being bitchy or bossy it's them being a strong woman, a girl boss, a woman that doesn't need anyone to make her life work.

I do understand that idea. But why not call yourself "boss" instead? Well sorry, I am overthinking. Nevermind 😅 I'll stop the off-topic answers now 🙈

Posted

I do understand that idea. But why not call yourself "boss" instead? Well sorry, I am overthinking. Nevermind 😅 I'll stop the off-topic answers now 🙈

Girlboss was the title of Sophia Amoruso's autobiography, the founder of Nasty Gal, and Taylor read her autobio at one point (I can't find the vid quickly but she did do a vid called #GirlBoss and she definitely talked about the autobiography itself before). I think she did like 1 or 2 vlogs where she tried to include a 'what I'm reading section'? That was a good idea tbh.

Also lol, for anyone's interest, here's what happened to Nasty Gal as a company.

OT part of my answer:

I feel the whole 'girl boss' thing is part of a weirdly regressive/ white feminism trend. So, instead of calling yourself 'boss', you gender specify it in order to convey your femininity/ empowerment/ whatever. Sounds good right? Except in this case, you're using 'girl' instead of 'woman', which infantilizes you. Also the trend with adult women (no matter how young) still referring to themselves as girls is just feeding into the general media obsession with chasing youth instead of looking forwards to adulthood. I don't follow gender politics too much but from what I can tell, white feminism is becoming an increasingly different type to feminism to POC feminism, because of the race divide in places like the US and western Europe.

The origin of Sophia Amoruso's usage of 'girlboss' seems to have come from the fact that calling women 'bossy' has a traditionally negative trait, so she wanted to use 'girlboss' to help get rid of that. I guess it could've worked if her company didn't file for bankruptcy and cast a shadow over her 'self-made millionaire' claim.

Posted

I wonder how long Taylor will be taking a break after the death of her grandpa? Her family is so close, this must be a very difficult time for them and I really do feel for them and hope they each find their peace.

I hope Taylor doesn’t overthink her choice of living so far away from her family for the past 10+ years, and blame herself for missing the end years of her grandpa’s life. I don’t think she will handle this all so well and I truly hope she stays with her family for a while and recovers. I think we shouldn’t be expecting a new video any time soon. 

Posted

I wonder how long Taylor will be taking a break after the death of her grandpa? Her family is so close, this must be a very difficult time for them and I really do feel for them and hope they each find their peace.

I hope Taylor doesn’t overthink her choice of living so far away from her family for the past 10+ years, and blame herself for missing the end years of her grandpa’s life. I don’t think she will handle this all so well and I truly hope she stays with her family for a while and recovers. I think we shouldn’t be expecting a new video any time soon. 

I was thinking if she’s going to regret ‘eloping’ - in the past she would say she wants a big wedding with her whole family there. She had them all, Nana, grandparents, both parents. Now when one of them is gone, will that make her regret not having a traditional wedding ceremony?

I feel so sorry for her, it must be so difficult on her especially since she said she didn’t make it on time. She has money to fly but money cannot buy time. I’m guessing it’s the first time since she moved to Asia when something like that happened to her.

It must eat her from the inside, I just hope she takes all the time she needs and get back on her feet. 

My condolences for her whole family.

Posted

i agree with you @strawberrystarfish and @bongocat. and I can totally understand when she takes a break for a while. As you said, she is very close to her family especially to her nana. I guess with the death of her grandfather and not being there makes her probably feel scared to loose her beloved nana like this too (since she has arrived an age where this can happen at any time) 

my guess is that taylor will from now on be more in canada (since they own a house there anyway) and probably being surrounded by her family makes her less stress and happier and so it will be for her easier to get pregnant

Posted

I hope she doesn't even consider filming the funeral... I really wouldn't put it pass her but I truly hope she doesn't do it.

I hope she doesn't even consider filming the funeral... I really wouldn't put it pass her but I truly hope she doesn't do it.

Posted

I hope the time she takes off will bring her back to reality out of her imaginary bubble of perfection/perfect life. What i think is that she doesnt want to face criticism or feel flawed but in fact everyone is flawed but some do utilize their shortcomings to a strength. I mean she will be with the family again maybe they will give her advice or she would feel in her own skin there. I definitely wish she never documents anything of the funeral as it is an inappropriate situation for filming

Posted

Exactly this, and also she does not shut up about them lol;  she mentioned how Kim uses green apples in her kitchens for contrast (so now she does the same thing and gets pissy with Tom about it), her instagram stories show her watching it with Sharla when they were in Japan, it's her whole thing. 

Oh ok, I don't follow her on Instagram so I'm out of the loop. Just looking at her from Youtube I know she wears the lip kits, but I didn't get that vibe. I don't really have anything against the Kardashians but....they're pretty tacky. IDK why anyone would want to be them.

She doesn't strike me as someone who'd do that. Condolences to her. It always eats away at me that I chose to live in Asia too and can never see my family.

Posted

W/ her old friends from when she was in HK the first time, I think it's possible that many have left? Many of them were models as well who were on contracts so unless they wanted to say in HK permanently it's likely that they've gone somewhere else to develop their career.

As for cantonese... Taylor's not unique in not learning it. Of all the European expats I've met, only 1 can be considered fluent and that's because he worked in government for ~3 decades. Many expats don't learn it for a number of reasons (lack of incentive since everyone speaks English, staying within expat circles, all signs/ menus/ instructions/ text have English translation, the tradition that English was the middle/ upper class language, and it's just a hard language to learn for westerners). I think it's changed in recent years, but having gone to international school myself... the amount of people who think they can just get around with English is still pretty high; this includes Chinese kids in the international school system as well.

So someone living there for 7+ years and not knowing any canto? It's still pretty common. Taylor's just perpetuating an already existing trend. It's worse for her though bc she doesn't have a full time job and she married a HKer so she could at least take the time out of her day to take a lesson...

Yep. This is how it goes when you are an expat who stubbornly refuses to adjust to the culture and learn the language in your new country. Your only friends are other people who can't adjust and often go home to their country. Then you have the cycle of always making friends but never developing stronger friendships. Will she realized that she has created this box shess put herself into? Who knows.

Posted

To me it's just plain respectless to your SO when you refuse to study their native language and expect them to speak English with you when you live in their native country.