• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Taylor's money

63 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Since the issue of how Taylor seems to earn money or how she lives off of her boyfriend comes up multiple times, I've decided to de-lurk and comment on this. I ain't white-knighting, but the answer to how she makes money has been in this forum the entire time.

While she was in HK in 2012 she did this interview: http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/financeestate/art/20120903/18006644 At about 0:55, Taylor says, "I think money sitting in the bank doesn't do much." The voiceover/interviewer in Cantonese follows up by saying that she does investments and buys stocks in American companies. In this more recent vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkuv4bTB-P0 Taylor talks about her investment banking at the 2:05 mark. She explains that she invested a lot of her modelling income at the time and those investments have now reached maturity. Based on these clips, Taylor is far more financially savvy than most people think she is (despite her frivolous spending).

So to summarize: she buys stocks, has investment funds, made money from modelling and makes money from YouTube. I think we can all confidently say that she has her own money. Sure, her boyfriend might be loaded, but Taylor isn't just living off of him either. 

Edited by lurklurk

Posted

Good find!

Posted

I'm skeptical, I think it's more likely her dad invested for her when she was young. Modelling doesn't even pay that much and her jobs were few and far between. Even with YouTube; her friends still work day jobs yet she doesn't. I'm just not buying it.

Posted

Since the issue of how Taylor seems to earn money or how she lives off of her boyfriend comes up multiple times, I've decided to de-lurk and comment on this. I ain't white-knighting, but the answer to how she makes money has been in this forum the entire time.

While she was in HK she did this interview: http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/financeestate/art/20120903/18006644 At about 0:55, Taylor says, "I think money sitting in the bank doesn't do much." The voiceover/interviewer in Cantonese follows up by saying that she does investments and buys stocks in American companies. In this more recent vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkuv4bTB-P0 Taylor talks about her investment banking at the 2:05 mark. She explains that she invested a lot of her modelling income at the time and those investments have now reached maturity. Based on these clips, Taylor is far more financially savvy than most people think she is (despite her frivolous spending).

So to summarize: she buys stocks, has investment funds, made money from modelling and makes money from YouTube.

Most people in here are aware of that info. Someone/people probably helped her out or did the investments for her. Good for her.

But by the impression and info you get from her videos (spending, planning, adulting in general), I really wouldn't call Taylor "financially savy".

most obvious examples would be: not realising she maxed her credit card limit, being surprised by crazy phone bills.

Posted

@Olivercat - Investment banking is realistic to do and people who are in mid-late twenties generally start it when they start thinking about doing it when they begin their retirement savings plan. Most financial advisors at your average bank provide you with options for investment savings like mutual funds. Also, stocks are a lot more accessible for people to get into these days, and I am sure that while people in her life can give her advice (e.g. her boyfriend or her dad), she's ultimately making the decision for herself on which stocks she wants to purchase and invest in. 

Posted

That makes sense, though I'm still skeptical as well. Mostly because she just comes off as fake to me. I could be wrong though. If it's true then good for her.

Posted

Most people in here are aware of that info. Someone/people probably helped her out or did the investments for her. Good for her.

But by the impression and info you get from her videos (spending, planning, adulting in general), I really wouldn't call Taylor "financially savy".

most obvious examples would be: not realising she maxed her credit card limit, being surprised by crazy phone bills.

I actually don't think most people know given how often someone comes out and says something along the lines of "she's living off of her boyfriend" or "her boyfriend buys her everything she owns". 

And what I had acknowledged quite clearly that yes, she does spend frivolously but my point is that she might have more money saved up than we think she does, which would be the financially savvy part. 

Posted (edited)

@Olivercat - Investment banking is realistic to do and people who are in mid-late twenties generally start it when they start thinking about doing it when they begin their retirement savings plan. Most financial advisors at your average bank provide you with options for investment savings like mutual funds. Also, stocks are a lot more accessible for people to get into these days, and I am sure that while people in her life can give her advice (e.g. her boyfriend or her dad), she's ultimately making the decision for herself on which stocks she wants to purchase and invest in. 

Sure, but it's extremely inconsistent with her lifestyle.  There's just no way she made enough money in the few years she worked to make enough off an investment to basically retire and be able to splurge on constant taxis, designer bags, multiple $1000 phone cases, new cameras, new drones, a huge house in Japan, eating in fancy restaurants frequently, and tons of clothes/home shopping sprees. Tokyo is an expensive place to live in general without all the over the top spending she does. The comparison of her to other YouTubers/Instagram models is glaringly obvious in the differences.

edit: oh yeah, and first class flights.

Edited by Olivercat

Posted

Sure, but it's extremely inconsistent with her lifestyle.  There's just no way she made enough money in the few years she worked to make enough off an investment to basically retire and be able to splurge on constant taxis, designer bags, multiple $1000 phone cases, new cameras, new drones, a huge house in Japan, eating in fancy restaurants frequently, and tons of clothes/home shopping sprees. Tokyo is an expensive place to live in general without all the over the top spending she does. The comparison of her to other YouTubers/Instagram models is glaringly obvious in the differences.

You'd be surprised how much money you can make in a relatively short amount of time with the right type of investments and if she invests aggressively. That in addition to buying and selling stocks at the right time and market share can give her just enough money to support her lifestyle. I'm not saying that her boyfriend doesn't buy her things - he obviously does - but her whole life isn't financially dependent on him.

Posted (edited)

You'd be surprised how much money you can make in a relatively short amount of time with the right type of investments and if she invests aggressively. That in addition to buying and selling stocks at the right time and market share can give her just enough money to support her lifestyle. I'm not saying that her boyfriend doesn't buy her things - he obviously does - but her whole life isn't financially dependent on him.

I'm certain she does make money off of YouTube and contributes that. I would never believe she's a total freeloader. 

On the other hand, I'm familiar with stock. The company I work for, one of the fastest growing tech companies in Canada, gave me some stock worth $30 a share when I began working for them, at around $90 a share now, after two years. I suppose it's possible, but even if she got lucky and sold shares for a nice profit, eventually that money is going to run out. With the way Taylor handles things as simple as her credit card and her phone, I would not peg her as financially savvy enough to play the stock market successfully for very long.

As far as investment banking goes, I am less familiar with it, but she would have needed something to start with. Do you really think she had a large sum of money in her early twenties, with no education? Most foreign models are lucky to make $15-$20k on a contract, and in an expensive city like Tokyo... there's just no way she was able to support herself and invest at the same time without help at the start, plus she's never lived in a cheap apartment to save money, it's always been large by Japanese standards.

edit for typos and grammar.

Edited by Olivercat

Posted

In this more recent vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkuv4bTB-P0 Taylor talks about her investment banking at the 2:05 mark. She explains that she invested a lot of her modelling income at the time and those investments have now reached maturity. Based on these clips, Taylor is far more financially savvy than most people think she is (despite her frivolous spending).

So to summarize: she buys stocks, has investment funds, made money from modelling and makes money from YouTube. I think we can all confidently say that she has her own money. Sure, her boyfriend might be loaded, but Taylor isn't just living off of him either. 

Kek. Sounds like she is trying to talk up a simple long term deposit account that every 5 year old has...

When she talks about investments coming to "maturity" that means she put it in a long term deposit account which has a slightly higher interest rate than a normal account or bonds. 

And also you cannot touch the money invested in long term accounts or bonds until they have reached maturity - the bank will not let you withdraw - so she was probably living off his dime during all that time in between.

Posted

@honeycaeks exactly my thought!! also, I don't really "understand" this user who registered only to post how "savy" Taylor is, and how she's making her own money etc. with very weak arguments and no new info, and exagerating assumptions made by PULL members: pretty much everyone has been saying that she obviously has some sort of income that she does use.

Posted (edited)

so she was probably living off his dime during all that time in between.

Edit: Removing this information as it may be incorrect.

Edited by Olivercat

Posted

Honestly I don't think it matters where her money comes from... Even if it isn't money she made herself, it's not like she's forcing anyone to give it to her or doing anything illegal (that we know of) to obtain it...

Posted

I don't think it's appropriate to discuss someone's income, mainly when it involves an anonymous person. I think we shouldn't make assumptions like this .,. It's clear she is well off, I don«t think we need to scrutinize her income, it's not like she's claiming that youtube alone is enough to survive , she has claimed to have savings, whatever the source of her savings/ lifestyle, considering she's not asking or scamming her viewers for Money I don't think it's appropriate to disclose personal income information. It's like it's ok to discuss inconsistancies in her claims, but snooping around for her financial info is a tad bit stalking and out of Line ( Unlike some other PULL youtubers she never asked her to finance her lavish livestyle nor her visa)