• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Yumi King Videos

10739 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

In China you should NOT slurp your soup, but a lot of people who come from rural villages dont know that its rude to eat loudly and eat with their mouth open. These are the people who also push their way in lines, spit and throw trash on the ground usually too.  

Also wanted to add that some people on lolcow have been speculating shes pregnant. Im kind of inclined to believe them since she has this weird habit of mentioning pregnancy at odd moments.  

Honestly you sound like a weeb because you don't know what you're talking about. I've actually been to China many times and people absolutely do slurp and spit on the ground and no it's not just the rural hicks. Unfortunately, China has a reputation for bad manners. When I went to Shanghai airport, nobody stood in an orderly line to speak with the airline, everyone just crowded around the desk. I had to assimilate otherwise I'd never get to talk to the airline agent. So I had no choice but to push in. Don't talk about matters you know nothing about. 

Sources for the people who think they can say whatever they want and no one will fact check them:

http://www.chinese-lessons.com/chinese/culture/customs.htm

http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-food/eating-and-drinking-in-china.htm

https://etiquetteschoolofohio.com/2008/08/21/chinese-dining-etiquette-slurping-and-burping/

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/54100/the-right-way-to-eat-noodles/

Edited by oknah

Posted (edited)

traditionally, it IS bad mannners to slurp. But honestly, i feel like we're looking into this slurping issue too much? I slurp too (but i dont do it on purpose and loudly) but its not that big of a deal, honestly. Its not as rude as say, putting your chopsticks upright or sitting with your leg up at the table. (Or at least judging based on the naggings my mom gives me)

Honestly you sound like a weeb because you don't know what you're talking about. I've actually been to China many times and people absolutely do slurp and spit on the ground and no it's not just the rural hicks. Unfortunately, China has a reputation for bad manners. When I went to Shanghai airport, nobody stood in an orderly line to speak with the airline, everyone just crowded around the desk. I had to assimilate otherwise I'd never get to talk to the airline agent. So I had no choice but to push in. Don't talk about matters you know nothing about. 

Also, I think you've just got the bad end of a stick when visitng china. Yeah i know all about those horror stories, and it is true it occurs, but there are nice people too. You just sound super salty in ur reply lool

Source: im asian living in a asian country (shit do i sound like yumi now????)

Edited by Ad

Posted

Yeah, and even if she claims not to do ASMR it's still listed as a tag under her newest video. (Tags aren't shown on YT by default but you can download addons on your browser to see them)

Capture.PNG

Posted (edited)

traditionally, it IS bad mannners to slurp. But honestly, i feel like we're looking into this slurping issue too much? I slurp too (but i dont do it on purpose and loudly) but its not that big of a deal, honestly. Its not as rude as say, putting your chopsticks upright or sitting with your leg up at the table. (Or at least judging based on the naggings my mom gives me)

Also, I think you've just got the bad end of a stick when visitng china. Yeah i know all about those horror stories, and it is true it occurs, but there are nice people too. You just sound super salty in ur reply lool

Source: im asian living in a asian country (shit do i sound like yumi now????)

From a western perspective, slurping is rude. In East Asia, it is not. You don't understand Asia's relationship with food given its history with famine and shortage. I have actually lived in China but you want to lecture me on Chinese etiquette? I've witnessed these behaviors many times; not everyone does them, but is occurs enough that it can be observed in the general population.

And yes, you do sound like Yumi. I may be salty but your English is bad so I guess it's a wash, huh? LOL!

Edited by oknah

Posted (edited)

On second thought opening a new thread would be better, since it'll just get lost in here as new discussions stack up. And maybe add a rule to not make any new replies to that thread, only for you and others to archive new summaries to make it easier for people to find information.

OT: I agree, new thread would be better. @Teabii ? :alpacaconfused:

Edited by ZAGGY

Posted

There's no point in talking about whether it's appropriate in China or not. China's a big place, I bet eating manners vary a lot by region and cultural group and "expense" of food. She's not in China now, hasn't lived there for years, and no matter how obsessed she is with Chinese hanfu style she's making web content in English that will mainly attract English speakers, and furthermore if she's using tags like "mukbang" and "asmr" she should be following the patterns of those trends. Even if I personally hate it, I understand that ASMR has some kind of structure to it that makes it different from just plain noise you can encounter by listening to the world. She ought to follow that structure if she's trying to appeal to people who are already into ASMR (and mukbang) videos.

Posted

ASMR is supposed to make me feel comfortable and calm. Not nauseated and disturbed.

But I appreciate the try. Now I know that if I see Yumi doing another "ASMR" video, I shall not click on it and stay pretty far away. :D

Posted (edited)

EDIT: WAIT, SHE FINALLY FIXED HER BANGS?

akari.png ignore

Edited by U_M_R

Posted

She took our advice...now she talks and eats at the same time :/

"*coughing fit* I don't really want to eat this, but it's good for my body."

Wow, so relaxing.

also that makes it sound like she's pregnant

Posted

OMG this new video is some shit. This time rather than trying to make it ASMR she is focusing more on the format of a mukbang. It still annoys the fuck out of me, though. She keeps looking at the viewfinder rather than the lens, her manners are still very poor... Why the fuck is she using a fork and a spoon and banging them both against the bowl and against each other? It is worse than nails on chalkboard.

Also, the hypocrisy:

"I feel this soup is loosing weight soup. Have you had the pig kidney? I actually really like it."
"...Even though the flavor is super plain, but I will still eat it."
"To be honestly, I don't really want to eat it. But it's good for my body. The flavor is super plain."
"I'm actually getting full because I wasn't really hungry."

"I'm having to do this because I really enjoy making videos."

Make up your mind, you really like it and it's good for you but the flavor is plain and you don't want to eat it? You weren't hungry but you're eating nonetheless for a stupid video, what's the logic behind that? Also, if you really enjoyed making videos you wouldn't whine all through it about how you're not even hungry and how plain the soup is. 

"I'm not used to eating and talking at the same time... Because I afraid you can see the food in my mouth and it doesn't look good."

Bitch, you didn't mind that in your past videos and it shows by the disgusting thumbnails you used. But of course, since we started pointing it out and calling you a mannerless pig, now you care. I don't know what's worse, a short video plagued with disgusting close-ups and noises, or a longer video with an open take, less smacking and more talking. Both are incredibly unbearable and in both we can see how poor her table manners (and manners in general) are. She is tacky even when she eats. 

Captura_de_pantalla_2017-05-13_a_las_12.

Posted

soooo its 10 minutes of her just eating?? :alpacawink:

Posted

soooo its 10 minutes of her just eating?? :alpacawink:

Yeah, of eating, whining about how plain the soup is and how she cannot finish it, talking a bit about how she made some videos and how she didn't prepare for this video and that's it. 

Posted

The way she extends her lips down to her food instead of putting the food in her mouth makes me think of an insect proboscis 

Posted

IDK about China, but I remember reading online that it's considered respectful to a ramen chef if you slurp the soup and noodles.

It's not polite in Korea though. At least, not in my family.

The slurping is in Japan

Posted

My family isn't so big about talking during meals, but I can really tell my husband is. Various different type of people consider it rude to multitask when eating on the kitchen table (e.g. Talking and eating, watching tv and eating, using your phone and eating). This video is really hard for me to watch, she's so boring. I gave her the idea of being informative in her videos, but now she's informative and still boring. Sort of wish she can make her videos more appealing so I can watch at least 1 minute and not skim through her video.