• Announcements

• Official PULL Discord! (Updated)   01/14/19

Hi Everyone!  We've opened up an official discord. In order to join, you need to have posted at least 20 comments on PULL! This is to make sure we don't let in any flakes with ulterior motives. After joining, you will receive a DM with instructions on how to get verified! Also, your registration date needs to be earlier than December 2018 so that we don't get a ton of people signing up only to join the Discord but without actually contributing to PULL. Drop by and chat here: https://discord.gg/KDF2kt5 Also, we need to upgrade our server in the very near future. PULL grows bigger by the day (yay!) but  to handle the load, we need upgrades. For less than the cost of what you spend on Netflix, we can continue to host your content. Whether it's $1 or $5 a month, all gifts are appreciated. Please consider giving here: https://www.patreon.com/PULL We've also added a gofundme link: https://www.gofundme.com/PULLnet Thank you for your continued love and support!

Holly Brown/ H.C Brown

102 posts in this topic

Posted

Holly C. Brown

HCbrownart

holly.thumb.png.68d2f053e199abdab7aca9dd

Website https://www.hollycbrown.com/  |  Instagram https://www.instagram.com/h.c.brown/

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/hollyistotallycool  |  Tumblr [currently deleted]  |  Twitter [currently "deleted"]

Tapas.io https://tapas.io/hollycrapper1 

Where to begin with Holly? She's done so much shit the past few months it could probably land her in Little Snowflakes right away... she's a fujoshi in denial, a tracer, scammer, all around mess youtuber/"professional illustrator"/webcomic artist. She first became famous for two videos: her Calarts video, and her video about beginner artists mistakes (the thumbnail is a butt, you've probably been suggested this video because the YT algorithm gods decided to smile upon her ugly ass). Making videos about how she's a professional and how only her advice goes, basically poisoning the minds of young artists with her bullshit. And they listen to her! She's closeminded to put it lightly, doesn't want to move out of Texas because she's scared of Pride parades and thinks "art school atmosphere" will depress her (because everyone in LA apparently is some kind of activist). Her audience is made up of an army of edgy kids and teens who will defend her to no end, ready to WK and downvote anyone who talks shit about her. Known for being a bitch (no, really) who gives zero fucks XDDDD, she's set a standard for herself of being a selfish, stubborn and childish person who dishes out criticism but is unable to take it herself. A stuck up elitist who talks the talk but can't even crawl, let alone walk the walk. Her art is ugly and low quality with no sense of fundementals, yet she thinks she's better than actual pros. There's a lot to talk about when it comes to Holly, so I'll try to sum up the most controversial bits.

Big ol' laconic on her art courtesy of lolcow, a nice tl;dr

1542320591265.png

Boku no Hero Academia "True Colors" Zine fiasco

Holly organized a for profit BNHA zine with 60-100 artists (she won't stick to one number, but it's probably 60). She made them use an ugly limited color palette for their "theme". Sounds okay so far, but she suddenly decided to impose a deadline on them. Because she picked such a huge pool of amateur artists, she effectively screwed them over. She didn't realize how many pages it would be, and decided that it would be "cheaper" to print it herself, leading to a string of costly purchases only because she refuses to send it to a printing press. She got tired and whined about it, before closing the zine shop. As for the artists, she sent each 20 bucks (even artists that dropped out). She accidentally ended up leaking their personal information in a YT video, to make matters worse. She couldn't even fulfill zine orders, and slowly stopped talking about it all together in hopes that people would completely forget about it. She wouldn't even send out PDF copies. All the while the doujin she made of her own damn webcomic, a yaoi rape one, was printed professionally just in time for SanJapan. The bitch had copies of the zines on her person for the con as well, and when the artists received their own personal copies the actual thing was a piece of crap(1). Pages were cut incorrectly and unevenly, some pages were upside down, barely staying together. She hasn't apologized. She "deleted" (locked) her twitter and pretended that her instagram got reported and remade to get away from the drama (the zine wasn't the only reason though), but not before insulting the artist's intelligence(2). Fucking nice one, Holly!

1534861704254.thumb.png.a43717d86bc0f88c

DsGTtV2U0AABvL1.thumb.jpg.c7336abb6be075

Wonderful.

Tracing and unoriginality

The biggest tracing controversy surrounding Holly is definitely her FMA piece, wherein she traced a picture of Alphonse Elric claiming it was for layout/thumbnailing purposes... I mean, sure, if we take that excuse into account, sure. But she posted it. This is a piece she intends to sell... Look at her trace of Alphonse. Had it been for thumbnailing purposes, it wouldn't have been such a clean trace. Usually thumbnailing is fairly rough and is only done for clarity of composition and planning. Why put so much effort into tracing Alphonse so cleanly (as clean as her art can get lol)

kfddsfdffd.thumb.PNG.2a8035d5d2a0fb52d9c

There are other instances:

1542339458461.thumb.png.58ed7d18c9830c21

^iT's OKEY bEcAuSe I pAyEd FoR iT

kdjfldkfjgdgdgd.thumb.png.f21527fd6a39fa

^Holly intended for this one to be a template for people to use for free for xmas decorations or something, nevermind the fact that its Toby Fox's intellectual property lol

1526898506792.jpg

A lot of this was just heavily referenced (honestly still super iffy), but the legs align a little too well

Holly's awful spending habits

This is JUST for SanJapan. Nothing else. This was all even before she was accepted.

1535973481625.png

Fujoshi in denial + general headassery (misc)

1516401230293.thumb.png.159ec9eb27506c90

1533588769748.png

1526492034033.thumb.png.446c3f24fd465cb9

1529155789742.thumb.png.3ece5708313aefea

^This character from her yaoi (call it what it is bros) Purgatory on Tapas.io literally got RAPED. And she's joking about it like this. Not the first time lol, she has said some sketch ass shit about how rape isn't rape if you aren't fighting back (wrote a doujin about one of her characters being drugged and raped), and said on stream that oral rape isn't a thing because girls can just "bite down". She claims it was taken out of context, but watching the whole thing, it's A LOT WORSE in context. (I'll insert a link when I find it because every mirror seems to have been taken down, wonder by who)

1515795292520.thumb.png.cbc2315b9243fcc5

1516578039877.thumb.png.8728d9396b41906c
HUGE LOL keep telling yourself that. What is this xbox live???
1515368689360.thumb.png.a983727299f425cb
More Holly being stuck up and thinking she's better than actual esteemed professionals.

Holly art bingo for funsies 

1523494367267.thumb.png.a9f7d3fdef0d5e81

Will be working on adding more minor things later, but this seems like the most relevant stuff right now.

Posted

YES. I found her channel a few weeks ago when watching some videos from lavendertown (think that's her name?) and at first I was like, this is cool she seems nice, but after watching more videos she just comes across as whiny. A lot of her rants are such reaches, she seems quite desperate to find ANYTHING to rant about. I highly doubt she got accepted into calarts considering how salty she is in the video. She didn't even understand the point of the sketchbooks I'm smh.

Posted (edited)

Please add some evidence to the thread. :3 Some of us do not know who she is. 

Edited by mushroom

Posted

Oh my goodness she is so annoying. I found her channel while looking through a lot of Calarts sketchbook videos and she 100% lied that she got in. 

I've never seen an art YouTuber as pretentious as she is.

Posted

Receipts...? Links...? There are some of us who haven't heard of her please provide us with info

Posted

I've only seen one video of hers (she seemed really rude and whiny in it) but I looked through her instagram, webtoon and store and idk her art is kind of ugly. I get that her art is stylised but it is ugly. Even her hand position practice things (?) on ig are really badly drawn and look wonky and disturbing. She is an art student right? :amgplz: (She need to practice her anatomy more)

Posted

Looks like every other piece of shit art I've seen from Tumblr lol. Ugh. I hate it. Can you be more original please? :alpacabored:

Posted

I believe she's doing her art degree online? Not sure how that would work though.

I watch her videos sometimes and ugh she's a big hypocrite. She complains about same face syndrome whereas when you look at her art it all looks the same. The anatomy is stiff too. 

Glad she finally got a thread on here so I don't have to lurk on lolcow.

Posted (edited)

idk her art is kind of ugly. I get that her art is stylised but it is ugly. Even her hand position practice things (?) on ig are really badly drawn and look wonky and disturbing. She is an art student right? :amgplz: (She need to practice her anatomy more)

omfg, so I wasn't just being super critical

lmao.. kinda reminds me of when I came across HamletMachine...(I wonder if she's gotta thread on here 🤔)

Edited by Jethro
I can't spell lol

Posted (edited)

i like watching her while im doing my art assignments... i dont take anything she says seriously but yeah her art needs more improvements lol ( her drawings are always heavily stanted on one side) 

Edited by 707

Posted

She has made some (Some) Useful videos, but IMO, I don't like her art style.  She also seems too confident about her art. 

It also surprises me how she is making all these art tip videos when she hasn't even graduated art school? (I dont think)

Posted

I've only seen one video of hers (she seemed really rude and whiny in it) but I looked through her instagram, webtoon and store and idk her art is kind of ugly. I get that her art is stylised but it is ugly. Even her hand position practice things (?) on ig are really badly drawn and look wonky and disturbing. She is an art student right? :amgplz: (She need to practice her anatomy more)

I have to agree to be honest! :o like as an artist I can see she's particularly good in a couple areas such as showing expression and picking colour palettes and such but yeah, her style's not exactly my cup of tea either > <

and I dunno but to be honest I think it would be best for her to learn more about anatomy before going around telling people what's right and wrong :OO

Posted

She keeps popping up in my recommendations so I watched some of her videos.  She strikes me as being super pretentious and she thinks she's "keeping it real" by just cussing and giving tips which sometimes she doesn't even follow.  But aside from all that, I really do appreciate her.  She makes challenges that are actual challenges and she draws a lot to improve herself.  She's a hard working artist and I gotta give her credit for that.  Her artwork isn't perfect but I can see she's practicing a lot to get better and she definitely deserves more viewers than many of the popular art youtubers who only draw mainstream stuff and never improves.  

Posted

She can do art i guess, her art is not the best, she lacks anatomy and her poses are too stiff, but what annoys me is she's too confident, she thinks shes the greatest artist that has ever lived, shes still a student right? And her attitude jfc, she cant take criticism, give her advice? She'll make a video and rant about it. Oh and that ICONIC CalArts video of hers, she lied about being accepted, shes famous cause of that vid of her ranting cause CalArts didn't accept her. Yeah not my favorite.

ho.jpg