• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

The Mandela Effect

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, I don't know if you guys heard about 'The Mandela Effect', but people have been making a fuss about it all over the internet.

Definition: The Mandela Effect refers to a phenomenon in which a large number of people share false memories of past events, referred to as confabulation in psychiatry. Some have speculated that the memories are caused by parallel universes spilling into our own, while others explain the phenomenon as a failure of collective memory. In 2010, blogger Fiona Broome coined the term Mandela Effect” to describe a collective false memory she discovered at the Dragon Con convention, where many others believed that former South African President Nelson Mandela died during his imprisonment in the 1980s. That year, Broome launched the site http://mandelaeffect.com/ to document various examples of the phenomenon. Additionally, Broome described other widely held false memories, including various nonexistent Star Trek episodes and the death of the Reverend Billy Graham.

Now, that's where it starts to get interesting. A few practical examples for this effect are: It was never 'Flinstons' but actually 'Flintstones' ; It was 'Looney Tunes' instead of 'Looney Toons' ; The real spelling for the cereal brand is 'Froot Loops', but not 'fruit'. Those ones not everyone will relate/agree with, because it can be just things we never payed that much attention to. But there's some things, such as famous movie quotes that apparently everyone miss heard (or, according to others, 'changed').

The quote 'Luke, I'm your father' said by Darth Vader in Star Wars was this whole time 'No, I'm your father'. Or the Evil Queen's speech to the mirror that actually said "Magic mirror on the wall, who's the fairest one of all?" (this one, I may say, was even translated wrong then!).

As we know, the internet is a weird place, where people's opinions can be shared in a click. So, a lot of users came up with different explanations, involving things such as Philosophy Theories to Einstein's Quantum Physics! Here's some comments I found about those theories:

Jonathan O'Hara

The Mandela effect theory is ridiculous. We know from countless memory studies that memories are not particularly accurate, especially as the years go by. Most of these are just trivial things that we didn't pay much attention to years ago, and now we just don't remember them all that clearly. 

For example, many of the items are simply alternate spellings of words. "Froot" loops is grammatically incorrect, so we always just assume it was "Fruit" loops. Berenstein would be a more common spelling of the name, so we just assume it was spelled that way. (Heck, the last time most of us read those books, we were just learning to read in the first place.) The one with the Queen song is explained by editing: "We are the champions of the world" appears multiple times in the song. We're just used to it getting cut off before it finishes. 

For those that believe in the Mandela effect, ask yourselves why it's only spelling and minor details that have "changed" over the years? Where are all the important things that have changed? Shouldn't there be people who remember having siblings that are no longer here? Wouldn't we have people remembering Al Gore winning the 2000 election? Instead, it's all VERY insignificant details....which gives immense credibility to the bad memory theory.

Sergio El Halabi

You are looking at this the wrong way. Even Einstein talks about the different timelines (in his Time travel paradox example) and mentions that the conscious would jump to the timeline that is closest to the one you already know. Parallel universes exist in Quantum Physics (research it) and an infinite amount of possibilities exist at the same time. However, small changes from one timeline to another will create a whole new effect a million timelines away. 

With that said, this is the close timeline that we have, thats why the changes are so subtle and "insignificant". And the issue is not that people are remembering them wrong, its that they are remembering them wrong, but in the same way.

Jim Gray

I think it's positive reinforcement. If I decided that my name was actually Jom, and that it never was and everyone was mistaken. Well most people weren't there to know the truth, so now others are saying "Hey Jom this, Jom that". Now everyone is calling me Jom, even though that was never my name. So everyone I've ever met calls me by the wrong name, then later on I tell people that I never said my name was Jom. It's always been Jim. Now people are like yeah right, liar. Show them birth certificate and kaboom. Mind blown, it's not the real name.....so in other words, some of these are a matter of people telling others the wrong information. Instead of questioning it, people perpetuate it. When a majority believes something, the minority is afraid to question it's validity (coughcoughreligioncoughcough) In other cases, I think they just wanted to change the name of something and instead of owning up to the change, for whatever reason, they just act like people remember differently. 

To go against some of these comments, I found some allegation of people who experienced the Mandela Effect or know someone who have.

Olwin Brydon

But I personally believe in the Mandela effect due to my friend Kim. 
She was recently diagnosed with arthritis but I recall her always having arthritis and I've asked my entire family-we're basically family-friends, even her own family and they all recall knowing that she had arthritis years and years before she was diagnosed. 
My mom even swears she had a conversation with my friend's mom when we were 12 about her arthritis (she was diagnosed at 19)

Kaley Belakovich

One of my boyfriend's cousins doesn't remember much of her childhood. Her older brother doesn't remember her as a child either. His theory is that he watched his sister die, and that's why the two of them don't have clear memories of her childhood - they got switched to a parallel timeline.

Not saying there's ANY validity to that theory. It's a bit too much of a conspiracy for me to buy into it, but I do think it's fascinating. Just wanted to point out an example of something more significant than spelling and minor details. 

I then, went on a research at Fiona's site (http://mandelaeffect.com/) to see what are some theories that actually aren't complete absurds (and, honestly, make sense).

The first one is what she calls the "Sliders Theory"

'Sliders'   

In this one, they focus more on the existence of parallel universes/realities. The name of this theory comes from a american science fiction TV series from the late 90's. The series follows a group of travelers as they use a wormhole to “slide” between different parallel universes.

This theory  says that is more than one reality happening at the same time, where things happen indifferent ways, and, consequently have different outcomes.  But, somehow they join each other at the end, causing these 'changes'. For example, you exist in both realities, but some things that are true in one, are not in another. So, when they join each other, naturally, you won't see things that you were used to, causing the mandela effect. Now, it goes so much more complicated than that, but, for the purpose of this is enough.

'False Memory'

Definition: False memory is the psychological phenomenon in which a person recalls something that did not occur. In other words, people's memories i are just unreliable. And, to make things worse, if a minority remembers something a certain way, and spread that, the rest tend to think that what this minority is saying, is true.

I'm not saying I believe in both of them, or that they are real. This is just a display of facts, speculations and theories.

Any thoughts? 

Edited by Thatax

Posted

I don't know if the Mandela Effect is real or not, but the fact that so many people have the same "false memories" of a certain thing, like the Tank Guy getting ran over by the tank, or the Berenstein Bears actually being the Berenstain Bears, is really weird. It's almost too weird to be coincidental. 

Posted

I may sound really dumb and naive for this but the Mandela Effect makes me believe in alternate dimensions and parallel universes. It's so interesting.

Posted

even though i do believe in alternate dimensions and universes. I think the Mandela affect is dumb. it's just people with bad memories. Yes some things I was like I thought it was "_____" instead of "_________". We get those all the time. I saw a video on it and I was almost believing it all until the guy said the bandage brand "Curad" was "Curaid". I know it was always Curad since I pronounced it as Coo-rahd so I know how to spell it. It is just our minds trying to fix weird grammar such as in the froot loops example.

Posted

i have personally experienced the mandela effect with small stuff. for instance at my previous job we had uniforms with a small logo ob them that were always blue white and green and i went to work one day and all of the labels on EVERYONE were now black and white. and i was not the only one who noticed. then in the US we have chick-fil-a and alot of people remeber it being spelled chik-fil-a without the c. plus many many more! :D

Posted

Chik-Fil-A vs Chick-Fil-A is the realest one for me.

I may sound really dumb and naive for this but the Mandela Effect makes me believe in alternate dimensions and parallel universes. It's so interesting.

Why the fuck did someone downvote this lol

Posted

I had an experience like that. I remember when I was little my older sister got me this comic book about cows, and one detail I specifically remember was this scene where a calf was taken from it's mom and in the background you could see a guy holding a large hammer and he allegedly killed the mother cow with it.

And about a week ago I was thinking about that comic and decided to look for it online and I ended up finding it on the PETAkids website and downloaded it and when I came across that scene the man in the back wasn't holding a hammer, he was empty handed.

I'm almost positive that they must have edited the hammer out because my older sister remembers the man with the hammer, I even remember telling my mom about the hammer as a kid. Either I was a messed up kid with an overactive imagination or they removed the hammer.

Posted

I've never heard of that theory before but it sounds super interesting. I hope it turns out to be real because I love the thought of alternative universes lol