• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Advice on sleeping early?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello there. I've started this little topic because I needed some help. You see, I've been suffering from insomnia and fatigue ever since childhood. It's hard for me to sleep early like 10 PM. I would most likely fall asleep at 1 AM onwards. I've been also drinking some sleeping pills my doctor has recommended to me but I still feel a little fatigue in the morning.

Do you guys have any healthy sleep advices and how to sleep earlier?

Posted

Limiting caffeine, exercising, and keeping a consistent schedule has worked the best for me.

Posted

Following a certain schedule before sleeping in order to prepare your mind and body for nightime helps improving your sleep, for example, at a certain hour after your last meal you put on you pajamas, drink some hot brew like milk or tea (There's this one tea called "sleepy time", which it's a good option for people who does not like hot milk... just avoid caffeine), read a book, knit, or do any activity that does not require physical effort and go to bed.

Plus, there are some food that will help you to get a better rest, like nuts and almonds, and bananas, you can eat those in small portions an hour before you sleep.

I suffer from insomnia because of an anxiety disorder, so my therapist once recommended me to write on a small notebook every thought that bugs me and stops me to get sleep, this worked for me for some time.

I hope it helps!

Posted

I suffer from insomnia too & I've been taking melatonin supplements for about 2 years that are working for me, but otherwise I would say set a definite bedtime & try to stick to it until it becomes a habit. Dim your lights a few hours before you go to bed & don't use any electronics right before you go to bed. I've heard that if you really can't fall asleep, it's sometimes better to get up and do something which will eventually make you tired instead of just lying there stressing about not being able to sleep. Exercise helps some people unwind before bed.

Use a sleep tracking app! I use Sleep Cycle. It tracks your sleep & the alarm wakes you up in your lightest sleep phase. Or use sleepyti.me!

There are also white noise machines/apps, headphones you can wear while sleeping, eye masks, darkening/blackout curtains. A humidifier might help? Make your bed super comfy with nice sheets/pillows/blankets!

If you're still feeling exhausted during the day my therapist recommended getting vitamin B supplements. Also make sure you're hydrated! Fatigue can be a symptom of dehydration & drinking water is supposed to help you 'wake up'

Posted

Hey, you can try vita fusion melatonin gummies they come in different strengths also tasty and it definitely helps. If your an active person exercising can help with sleeping better as well. Good luck!

Posted

Since you've already checked with a doctor, try to go to bed early so you let your body have some time to wind down. :alpacacrush: 

Practice activities that clam you but tire you a little, like some exercise (walking, swimming, stretching, and yoga helps)! Whatever makes you feel sleepy. Try napping during the day, it might help your body get used to fatigue, if that makes any sense haha

Hope this helps!

Posted (edited)

So, I know I'm late, but I suffer from several mental illnesses and disabilities that cause me to deprive myself of sleep. I learnt some things from my psychiatrist, I hope they can help you! Good luck!

- Limit caffeine intake.

- Taking electronic devices out of your room at least 1 hour before going to sleep. Alternate activities could be drawing, reading, playing instruments and more. There's a lot to do!

- Exercising to make you sleepy. Swimming, biking, running, etc. From personal experience, it makes my immune system stronger.

- Drink rooibos tea before going to sleep. It sounds weird, but trust me! It has no caffeine whatsoever and drinking it can benefit to your body's overall health. The warmth makes you sleepy, too.

- Instead of doing things like homework or so on your bed, have a separate place for such activities. It causes your brain to make connections between sleeping and the bed.

- Walk outside. This was the hardest one for me, but being exposed to the sun stimulates the melatonin (sleeping hormones) that your bodies release. I would recommend at least 30 minutes a day if possible.

I currently fall asleep between 19:00 and 02:00 (because of frequent panic attacks). I wake up at 6:00, so about 11-4 hours. It seems like a weird schedule, but I actually used to not sleep at all for days. Then I'd sleep for about 18 hours and it continued. It's getting better for me, and I hope it does for you too! :alpacacrush:

Edited by kuragehiime

Posted (edited)

my best tricks in sleeping early is not drinking any caffeine and working out early in the morning. I also don't nap in the middle of the day

Edited by ilovebruises

Posted

There are some studies and doctors saying melatonin isn't helpful for insomnia and most over the counter dosages are too high. It always makes me too sleepy the next day. Here's an article about it if anyone wants to know more. 

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56deff8ce4b03a40567a1e1e

The app twilight is good. It puts a red filter over your phone to cut out blue light which is supposed to be similar to sunlight and keep you awake. Switching to more yellow light bulbs in the hours before you go to bed can also be helpful. I've found using a weighted blanket can make me feel less twitchy and help me to fall asleep faster. I took a prescription sleep med for awhile which helped a lot. If you're taking one and it doesn't help, make sure you're following the directions (because I've not read the bottle correctly and taken pills at the wrong times, or not with a meal, etc) and tell your doctor. They're a bunch of different kinds of sleep meds and sometimes it might take a few tries before you find one that works for you. 

Posted

Due to have bad sleeping habits, you should:

Stop drink coffee or anything with caffeine.

Drink milk and eat bananas, you can do a Banana Milkshake, it works very good in my case; you could eat cherries and almonds too.

Posted

Take a shower right after dinner, I always feel supper sleepy or in the mood to try to sleep at least.