• Announcements

• Moderator Applications Open!   05/20/17

Hi everyone! We're looking to expand our moderation team. See this thread for the link if you are interested. Thanks!

Taylor R - videos

9310 posts in this topic

Posted

I love how everyone here thinks 1488 and not knowing about NeoNazis is so scandalous, and when I talked with my friends about it (we are German btw) they just were like "1488 is still just a number an people read in it what they want to read." And didn't found it bad at all about not knowing about NeoNazis/the term itself/etc.

Imo it is just dumb zo make a video about it tbh

I'm German too and I think it's super stupid to make a video about yourself being too ignorant to know the word neo-nazi. If I didn't know it, I wouldn't make a video pretending I'm too stupid to put neo and nazi together and do the thinking myself. Or at least google it and inform myself in a couple minutes, rather than sharing with the world how I'm so innocent that I don't know anything about the evil in the world.

That she doesn't know about it is my personal pet peeve because "Use Google before asking publicly", but that she makes it into a clickbaity video is just stupid and ignorant.

And I do agree that we really don't care about any numbers in Germany unless they're in context, so she's really totally overdoing it with the video.

Posted

I'm German too and I think it's super stupid to make a video about yourself being too ignorant to know the word neo-nazi. If I didn't know it, I wouldn't make a video pretending I'm too stupid to put neo and nazi together and do the thinking myself. Or at least google it and inform myself in a couple minutes, rather than sharing with the world how I'm so innocent that I don't know anything about the evil in the world.

That she doesn't know about it is my personal pet peeve because "Use Google before asking publicly", but that she makes it into a clickbaity video is just stupid and ignorant.

And I do agree that we really don't care about any numbers in Germany unless they're in context, so she's really totally overdoing it with the video.

With the video part I totally agree as stated :) I wouldn'thave donehis in the first place! 

But If I would meet a foreigner and he or she wold not know about NeoNazi I would not care a all! This was what I wanted to say, I didn't wrote itthat good

Posted

I love how everyone here thinks 1488 and not knowing about NeoNazis is so scandalous, and when I talked with my friends about it (we are German btw) they just were like "1488 is still just a number an people read in it what they want to read." And didn't found it bad at all about not knowing about NeoNazis/the term itself/etc.

OT: im german as well and i can tell you that the first thing i think about when i see the number 88 is the connection to hitler. just look at the license plate of cars in germany. its forbidden to use 88 for example (at least in some parts of germany). same goes for 14 or 28.

Posted

I'm American and I had no clue about 1488 until someone posted about it on here a while back. I did know what neonazi meant as well but someone on this thread said that it might be a more USA term? She is Canadian and also has been living in Hong Kong and Japan for a while so perhaps she really didn't know. But if she really didn't know then she should not have filmed herself looking it up. I honestly don't think she is actually a part of that kind of group too. 

Posted

OT: im german as well and i can tell you that the first thing i think about when i see the number 88 is the connection to hitler. just look at the license plate of cars in germany. its forbidden to use 88 for example (at least in some parts of germany). same goes for 14 or 28.

Those are actully only forbidden in cmbination with forbidden combinations of letters and as you sad in some parts. Actually only Pfalz and Brandenburg. The law (par. 8 part 1 in FZV) only forbids combinations against the good will. The only ones which are everywhere forbidden are SA, SS, HJ and KZ. Everything else is mostly allowed if not combined

Posted

if I search 1488 in my country google I can't find anything about neonazi, I think is an US something 
I know about 88 but never heard about "1488" before the taylor thing and I can't say I'm ignorant about nazism since in Europe we study a lot about it. I think we have to be really careful saying she is a neonazi! 
Please, don't think I am hardly defending her, I just want to let you know that there are some places where that number is not connect to neonazism

Posted

Just to quickly chime in: I firmly believe the 1488 is just her day of birth + year and it is just a horrible coincidence that it just so happens to be a number linked with NeoNazis and not that Taylor herself is a NeoNazi. She said 14 is her day of birth and some quick math says 1988 would put her at 28/29, which is how old we all assume (know??) her to be.

I think it would have been better had she addressed the numbers, and then just explained that when she made her URL she had no idea of the connection and left it at that. Her Googling it for the video just comes off as super cheesy and obviously does not help her situation. Letting her viewers know that she was unaware of it and explaining that she is working on a resolution would have been enough. 

Posted

Those are actully only forbidden in cmbination with forbidden combinations of letters and as you sad in some parts. Actually only Pfalz and Brandenburg. The law (par. 8 part 1 in FZV) only forbids combinations against the good will. The only ones which are everywhere forbidden are SA, SS, HJ and KZ. Everything else is mostly allowed if not combined

my point was that those numbers are welll known to be somehow nazi-related. at least for germans (and ur friend?). 

im not blaming taylor for not knowing about 1488. but to make this big fuss about it NOW and not checking it up earlier what her viewers meant with it when they asked about those numbers is just plain dumb. i wont even comment on her not knowing "neonazis" ¬¬

Posted

my point was that those numbers are welll known to be somehow nazi-related. at least for germans (and ur friend?). 

im not blaming taylor for not knowing about 1488. but to make this big fuss about it NOW and not checking it up earlier what her viewers meant with it when they asked about those numbers is just plain dumb. i wont even comment on her not knowing "neonazis" ¬¬

Oh my fault then I understoo it wrong! Course they are known but..if Taylor uses 88 I do not think anything baf. My old workmate who was part o a known tight biker crew had 88 tattoed. Totally another thing! We (like me and my surrounding) simply do not read sth bad in every pssible thing :) 

Last words from meto this topic: If she really waned to mae video on it - coe on. Research! If she would have not made a video abut zhis I couldn't care less

Posted

Hi I am new. I hope I am using this right. I have something to say but i know Taylor heavily moderates all her comments on youtube and I want my voice to be heard. As a jewish person I have learned that antisemitism can sometimes be masked behind cause or persona. The same can be said for all types of racism and discrimination. It is very easy to hide it. Lets not pretend that 1488 is just a coincidence. And its very hard to believe she doesn't know what a neo-nazi is. The more she played dumb and the more she over did the shock factor, the less I believed her. She is not a particularly great actress. This is obviously not the first time she has looked this up. I hope people will stop supporting her channel. People like her do not deserve their platform and we should not let her continue to spread hate even if she is doing it subtlety. Her low tolerance towards the Japanese language and culture should have been our first clue. She enjoys exploiting her white privilege.  After reading the comments on her video, my heart sank. It is clear that some people do not understand the gravity of the situation and are too quick to defend. But we should NOT tolerate her ignorance 

While I don't believe Taylor is in any way a white supremacist/ racist/ anti-semitic (which I think is what you're implying? sorry if I misunderstood), I do believe that she knew what neo-nazi was, or at least Googled it before she made the video, and then chose to 'reveal' herself finding out about it in the video for sensationalism. I agree that her acting is subpar at best, and her 'surprise' didn't convince me in any way either.

Imo she's not 'spreading hate', but she's trivialising quite a sensitive issue for a video.

Posted

I'm American and I had no clue about 1488 until someone posted about it on here a while back. I did know what neonazi meant as well but someone on this thread said that it might be a more USA term? She is Canadian and also has been living in Hong Kong and Japan for a while so perhaps she really didn't know. But if she really didn't know then she should not have filmed herself looking it up. I honestly don't think she is actually a part of that kind of group too. 

I am the same. I never knew of that number either. I have heard the term neonazi but I am not totally sure of what it is. I'm sure she's not a part of the group - but I do feel the video may of been a bit much and she could of just addressed it without her looking it up. I would of thought she would of looked it up already. It is good though that she is going to try to get it changed. I hope she can. 

Posted (edited)

i don't believe taylor is a neo-nazi, just an unfortunate girl born on december 14th, 1988... tbh, she jut seems to fit the stereotype of a dumb blonde model turned spoiled gf. :alpacaheadshake: sorry to be harsh.

i do know the term neo-nazi, because i live in america and we have all sorts of white supremacy problems here rip

1488 is definitely more than just a number.

47827430.cached.jpg

^dylann roof, white supremacist mass murderer, wrote 1488 in the sand

(who the fuck took this photo??)

Edited by sugarangelcake
added info for pic

Posted

That's what I call white wealthy privilege. She's really that protected princess who doesn't need to worry about the problems of the world because she has it so nicely at home... I mean, sorry, but I guess she doesn't even watch the news? Or read some news online? Otherwise she would have heard about all those demonstrations during the refugee crisis last year. At least that. If I don't know about a word that concerns a serious topic, I don't make a video about it. It just makes her look embarrassing, considering she's almost 30. I'm not saying she needs to know a proper definition, but she admitted that she "never heard the word before"? I just can't, sorry.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-11 um 20.27.00.png

well, it's not like she's educated or anything. so disappointed in her. 

Posted

Honestly I think she just made this video for the sake of clickbait... it's highly unlikely that she didn't read her comments in the past and see people pointing out the scandal of her channel name, so this is likely just another controversial marketing technique for her channel >.>

Sure, she's ignorant about many things, but ultimately she's just someone trying to make money i guess ._.

in my opinion, she should have just changed her channel name without saying anything... I know if I were in a situation like that where I mindlessly did something offensive, i'd be too embarassed to point out my ignorance ._.

Posted

That's what I call white wealthy privilege. She's really that protected princess who doesn't need to worry about the problems of the world because she has it so nicely at home... I mean, sorry, but I guess she doesn't even watch the news? Or read some news online? Otherwise she would have heard about all those demonstrations during the refugee crisis last year. At least that. If I don't know about a word that concerns a serious topic, I don't make a video about it. It just makes her look embarrassing, considering she's almost 30. I'm not saying she needs to know a proper definition, but she admitted that she "never heard the word before"? I just can't, sorry.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-11 um 20.27.00.png

How does she not  know what a neo-nazi is? She's almost thirthy. I just cant comprehend.