• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Taylor R - videos

9308 posts in this topic

Posted

I completely agree with refraining from armchair diagnosis on mental illness. We are all not psychologists (and even if some of us were I'm sure there's a rule of ethics out there that they need to abide by) so it isn't right to diagnose Taylor based on her youtube videos/social media or in anything, really. And I would hate for a PULL reader to come here and mistakenly diagnose themselves for a mental illness simply from our comments alone. WEBMD.com =/= Professional guidance! Personally I'm not 100% convinced there is anything wrong because she still maintains good relations with both Sharla and Kim, so unless both of them come out with videos warning us about Taylor's "state of being" then I'm sure Taylor is A-OK at the moment. So let's stick to more tangible, factual evidence, shall we? 

She's probably just bored with her good girl routine and wants to try something different. My only annoyance is that her new sassy attitude does not necessarily equate to more exciting vlogs. She is pretty much still doing what she's doing but with attitude. Maybe I phased out of it towards the end of her recent vlog, but she did mention that it was culture day in Tokyo - did she participate in that at least

Reading your comment made me realise something about Taylor. When something isn't working for her, she doesn't think about changing what she's doing, she thinks about changing herself. Most people would decide to change their video style or content if vlogging is too boring, but she just switches to a new persona. Just like with the surgery and the Dakota and Casey phases. She should take her own advice and accept who she is rather than keep trying to fit different moulds.

Posted

@Nami well done, I couldn't have summarized it any better, you covered everything! :alpacacrush:

With the "many Taylor versions" we've been so far, I'm really asking myself which direction Taylor will be heading into...

0- the glorious, beautiful past in HK...pre-surgery

1- the creepy Dakota "doll" Taylor, freshly moved to Japan

2- the 'oh-crap-people-noticed-i'm-a copycat'-Taylor   "cute" editing pre-daily vlogs Taylor, with bangs and cute deco in the background

3- daily vlog Taylor, 24/7 "work hard and be positive"

4- daily vlog Taylor that got bland and boring still no language skills, no sightseeing, literally nothing worth filming but she does it anyway

Slowly but consistently transforming into....

5- ???

Taylor actually managed to gain a small hardcore fanbase that never questions anything and would literally watch her going to the bathroom...just because it's her. I have to give her that. She has loyal fans.

But then there's people (not even with any connection to PULL) who notice "the little" things, and who wonder, and who never get any answers. And who get bored, eventually, by ever-repeating routines of Taxi driving / drink grabbing / pointless shopping / phone Q&A... you can only watch so many Taylor-Vlogs until "you've seen it all". While the video material quality is usually high, and the editing is somewhat well done, the recent vlogs blatantly lack content. 

Taylor's "trademark", beside the long hair and the ever-present camera in her hand, used to be her "personality". But lately she seems to move away from her "happy&nice" attitude...which may come across as deceiving, for this was her "core" thing. The snarkyness and "lash outs", which fail to be funny, but sound rather bitter and unpleasant...I don't like it. It's almost hilarious, but it's in no way likeable. I hope this stays a "phase", because otherwise she's destroying the only "good" thing about her well-planned Youtube personality away: Seeming nice, seeming positive and light-hearted, trying to seem inspirational for others.

She got somehow "stuck" between filming herself hoarding random shopping goods and explaining her workout regime/eating habits...without expanding content on either side. She neither produces many "DIY"s or cooking/workout videos, nor does she shop "really interesting" stuff, like for example unusual Japanese goods/food or very high-end pricey things. 

Bonus:

.I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE BUT......... I HAVE ALWAYS HATED IT THAT THE VLOGS CAN NOT BE DISTINGUISHED FROM OTHER VIDEOS. The vlog titles are so random, yet non of them says: "Vlog: XY". The "good" videos in between with an actual theme (for example: cooking session) drown in the see of poorly categorized and named vlogs. I hate the random titles (that are othen misleading, too) with a passion!!!

:rageplz:

sorry not sorry for this sudden OCD flash... the video names are seriously horrible

Posted

I don't know if I'm reading too much into it but I think that her anecdote about her hiding from her mother the clothes that she just bought to avoid  being told that spending money so mindlessly was bad for her says a LOT about how she can't handle constructive criticism from a very young age. She only likes to hear good things about her persona and brushes everything else away with a "the joke's on you" sort of mindset.

No wonder she hides so much details about her life to avoid being told that maybe she didn't made the right choices, that way whatever is said about her actions is just "speculation from her haters cuz she's so nice and purfect".

Posted

I don't know if I'm reading too much into it but I think that her anecdote about her hiding from her mother the clothes that she just bought to avoid  being told that spending money so mindlessly was bad for her says a LOT about how she can't handle constructive criticism from a very young age. She only likes to hear good things about her persona and brushes everything else away with a "the joke's on you" sort of mindset.

No wonder she hides so much details about her life to avoid being told that maybe she didn't made the right choices, that way whatever is said about her actions is just "speculation from her haters cuz she's so nice and purfect".

The entitled generation is the term they use I think.

Posted

CLARIFICATION ON WHAT AN ARMCHAIR DIAGNOSIS IS:

Alright guys,

I noticed a small debate has begun over this topic and I'm here to hopefully help clarify since I think a great deal of people don't understand what that means. Also, we operate a little differently than the old staff and new rules will reflect how we are going to handle armchair diagnoses (which will hopefully be posted soon...).

What an armchair diagnosis is: An armchair diagnosis is when someone matter-of-factly states that someone definitely has a disorder. For example; "She definitely has <insert disorder>", "I know she has <insert disorder>", "there's no way she doesn't have <insert disorder>". It's basically acting like an authority about mental health.

What is okay and not considered an armchair diagnosis: It is absolutely okay to make a minor speculation because maybe you've had to deal with something similar. However, that doesn't mean you can write a novel about it and and debate the subject to death because that leads to derailing. So comments that are okay are "I think she might have <insert disorder> because of <reasons>" or "I feel like she might have <insert disorder> because of <reasons>". And it's always good to incorporate/end with "but this is all speculation of course". Keep it brief, we don't need or want your life story.

This forum never has been and never will be a "safe space" (and I'm using the term the way tumblr and SJW's do) for anyone. We try to be friendly, we try to be civil, but ultimately this is a gossip/sleuthing site. SJW's are not welcome here, coddling is not welcome here, pretty much anything goes as long as it follows the rules (this does not however give anyone free reign to be a dick for the sake of being a dick). We have different opinions and even if you don't like someone's opinion, they have the right to state it. Civil debate is the kind of common sense we encourage here. This is a place for thicker skinned people. If you're an overly sensitive person then this probably isn't going to be the place for you. We discuss a lot of controversial and sensitive material here. We will never censor ourselves just because it might hurt someone's feelings. This isn't kindergarten.

I know it can be jarring at first, I get it. I myself even had a moment when I first joined where I got overly sensitive about something and whined about it in the chat, but I later talked with John Doe and cleared the air and I realized I was being too sensitive. I learned real quick what this forum is about and how to better handle it. I'm not without sympathy, but I've been in the noob shoes before and I know how it goes and how it can go.

I deal with depression on the daily and a slue of other mental health issues but I am not bothered by people speculating about it. The only thing I take issue with is when people act like an authority on a subject they clearly know nothing about and when they use their mental health as a crutch for why they're so thin skinned. That doesn't help the cause whatsoever. I have also studied psychology for over a decade and continue to do so because that information is always changing and I like to keep updated (just to give some background). 

Anyway,

TLDR; 

- Armchair diagnosis is not okay, see above for examples

- Brief speculation is okay, see above for examples.

- This is not a "safe space" or tumblr. We will not censor ourselves.

- This is a blunt place. Accept it.

If there are any questions then please don't hesitate to ask. Hope this helps clarify the confusion.

/textwall

Posted

She isn't asking fans for any money or gifts directly like other Internet famous people who have amazon wishlists, patreon, donation pages etc.

I don't think this can't be said enough times, other people in her situation will be doing the patreon thing and trying to squeeze money from their fans no matter if they need it or not. Some people do the patreon thing the right way, I'm not saying doing patreon is bad though.

Posted

I don't post much but I gotta say some stuff because I think this is at least the third time she's bought something without meaning to / fully reading what she was getting. This wastefulness is driving me bananas.

- Accidentally got two vases

- Thought the Halloween keyboard stickers was an actual keyboard, not just stickers (she also didn't understand why they included special character stickers for other languages...wow)

- Ordered jumbo size tea on accident

Seriously does this girl even read the details on what she orders? :melting:

Also feeling sad that she titled the video Culture Day in Tokyo yet didn't even know it was a holiday or what it stands for, and mostly spent the day shopping...again. At least consumer culture was on point.

Like many others here, I think I'm done hoping things will get better with Taylor's channel. This new sassy personality is not at all funny, still fake, and it just seems to come out of nowhere. If she wants to shame the haters then she should do a proper 'responding to hate comments' video where she actually shows the comments she's responding to, then her viewers wouldn't be left confused.

That comment she made in her YouTube comments about how she could only do catalogue modelling now and wouldn't be famous and how it wasn't worth it to her, just shows how she's only in it for the fame. Modelling didn't get her famous enough, that's why she's latched on to the recent social media personality explosion. Yet she continually fails to grasp the fact that she needs to create a solid 'brand' for herself in order to stand out. Looking at her channel I don't get what vibe she's trying to promote anymore. 

But more videos = more views = more money so I guess that's all she cares about now. 

Posted

I finally remember what she reminds me of. She reminds me of that one news story about the dude who documented every minute of his life in diary form, and even got his wife to write everything for him.

She reminds me of that. She's so busy documenting her life that she doesn't live it.

Posted

Im a half japanese, living in Japan, and watch her videos because I loved how she first motivated me to eat healthy and all.

But seriously, it kind of annoys me how she never tries to take matter in her own hands. Like for finding fake soy meat in Japan or knowing about amazon pantry-you can fucking find these things mostly any market in tokyo, if you cant read or speak japanese use a translating tool or app. LIKE fucking learn language and stop being lazy.

She only hangs out with english speakers, only goes to english friendly settings which makes me wonder why she never feels to interact more and really experience things.

I feel if she stops being lazy and fucking starts doing these things, she may become more interesting and actually have a youtube career. Shopping vlogs wont get you anywhere. Japanese relate more to people if you speak their language, thats why Dakota has it all. Taylor is beautiful and has potential, so I really want here to start realize she should start trying.

Posted (edited)

She reminds me of that. She's so busy documenting her life that she doesn't live it.

This so much.  Like when her Mother visited her. She was the whole time filming while her Mother walked sadly behind her. Like wtf. Those moments never come back to you taylor and you are just filming every little thing in your life so that you don't see what happens around you and what is really important in life... I wonder if her husbando is annoyed of it too.... 

Edited by believeagain

Posted

new video

Posted

Something is really weird about her dancing, but I'm gonna be honest, if she's enjoying something, I'd rather see her do that than her shopping and everything.

And lmao that part about her last vlog... "NOT constructive criticism", ha. The whole "I don't care about the hate", she brings it up so much recently. At some point she even sounds like she's reading something from somewhere and it's not her own words anymore. Which is fine because I hope it's helping people who listen to her. But she still didn't explain why - if she reads all those comments including the hate - doesn't accept the constructive criticism. Of course she doesn't need to follow it, but why not address the suggestions given to her for a change? Tell your followers why you don't make this and that video they're asking for. I don't know, to me she still doesn't come clear about too many things and while she doesn't have to, with her current video style and changes it's quite the turnoff, sorry.

Posted

*talks about haters in every vlog* "BUT IT DOESNT BOTHER ME ALL YOU GUYS". Tay, if you're reading this, please just stop reading it? like, it will make your life nicer. and stop lying people leave mean comments on your social media, they're basically leaving nothing but nice comments. not everyone is gonna like you, fckin deal with it. idk why all these relatively famous people have to address the negative stuff they get under the pretense they don't care. if you didn't care you'd ignore it, either own up that it gets to you or just shut up, it's pretty simple.

Posted (edited)

In her talk in her new video, she reminds me of when we were younger and we would just say everything and anything to get the "last word" cause it meant that we won the argument. 

She's addressing the things to her fan tho. But it just feels like she's hoping for sympathy. She's talking about her mental issues and depression after moving to Japan and feeling like she lost her old self from Hong Kong, and she's reached a point where its kinda of just anger and frustrations, and also a point where she doesn't care anymore. So... which is it Taylor? I can't really follow up her story. Heck, I don't even remember what I literally just watched because it feels like I've watched this over and over again... 

Edited by cherryshoko
lost part of the text i wrote...