• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Joankeem / Joanday

7285 posts in this topic

Posted

I've always wonder why she does videos in Korean when she is obviously not fluent in it and has an accent. 

for practice?? to get better?? it's not like there's a rule banning people from using a language unless they're perfectly fluent..... how else are you going to improve if you dont practice? some people might be shy and avoid putting themselves in the public while doing so but maybe she's not.

i've only seen a couple of her videos and i've noticed her accent too but like.... it's pretty shitty to criticize a korean-american for not being perfectly natively fluent in korean. or any other member of a diaspora culture for that matter.

Posted

for practice?? to get better?? it's not like there's a rule banning people from using a language unless they're perfectly fluent..... how else are you going to improve if you dont practice? some people might be shy and avoid putting themselves in the public while doing so but maybe she's not.

i've only seen a couple of her videos and i've noticed her accent too but like.... it's pretty shitty to criticize a korean-american for not being perfectly natively fluent in korean. or any other member of a diaspora culture for that matter.

Not sure why you feel like my comment sounded like I was criticizing her lol. I just wonder isn't it tough to speak in a language you're not fluent in and even using it to do beauty reviews? 

Posted

Anyone knows if her most recent updated skincare routine (skincare diet) video is sponsored? It seems like it's sponsored by Huxley but she didn't mention it except for a disclaimer saying that she is not paid to do the video. But getting paid and getting sponsored the products are different, most companies only sponsor products instead of paying youtubers with actual money especially for smaller youtubers like Joan. Does she ever states that a video is sponsored or not? A friend of mine wanted to get an eye cream but after watching her $500 worth of eye cream video, she wasn't sure if the products were sponsored and so she couldn't fully trust Joan on her opinions. 

with the giveaway, of course its sponsored. it's also obvious because the video itself doesnt even count as a 'morning routine', which should usually includes at least washing her face or brushing her teeth and doing other 'morning activities'. she just did this short video because she had to find a way to get that sponsored giveaway and products through her channel. 

I've always wonder why she does videos in Korean when she is obviously not fluent in it and has an accent. 

to attract koreaboos, what else. 

Posted (edited)

Anyone knows if her most recent updated skincare routine (skincare diet) video is sponsored? It seems like it's sponsored by Huxley but she didn't mention it except for a disclaimer saying that she is not paid to do the video. But getting paid and getting sponsored the products are different, most companies only sponsor products instead of paying youtubers with actual money especially for smaller youtubers like Joan. Does she ever states that a video is sponsored or not? A friend of mine wanted to get an eye cream but after watching her $500 worth of eye cream video, she wasn't sure if the products were sponsored and so she couldn't fully trust Joan on her opinions. 

And as much as I know everyone loves her brother Abe, isn't it quite random to do a skincare routine of her brother on her own channel, especially when all the products he uses are mentioned 10,000 times in her own videos? Just my opinion, but I'd prefer if she did the video together with her brother, something like a collab. 

she did like a 20 minute video with Eddie where they answered questions about YouTube and in that video she said I've never been sponsored to make a video so if she's telling the truth all the videos she made up to that point are not sponsored...

i think she made videos in Korean for people who speak Korean since it's easier for them to understand Korean than English. I don't think there's anything wrong with her making videos in Korean. It's her YouTube channel and she can do whatever the hell she wants. 

Edited by Sayonaroo

Posted

she did like a 20 minute video with Eddie where they answered questions about YouTube and in that video she said I've never been sponsored to make a video so if she's telling the truth all the videos she made up to that point are not sponsored...

i think she made videos in Korean for people who speak Korean since it's easier for them to understand Korean than English. I don't think there's anything wrong with her making videos in Korean. It's her YouTube channel and she can do whatever the hell she wants. 

I think you misunderstood what she meant in that video. she didn't say that she has never been sponsored to make a video, she said that if companies contact her DIRECTLY for sponsored videos, she has to reject them, but her MCN will find sponsorships for her. a good example of a sponsored video is the 3CE studio collection review. she got all the products from her MCN for free (aka its sponsored) but she did not disclose it in the description. 

I'm not Korean but since you mentioned that she even got basic words mixed up.......... maybe doing a review in Korean isn't the best idea lol. But you're right, it's her channel and she can do whatever the hell she wants including producing beauty reviews using wrong words or phrases. 

Posted

Pretty sure Joan reads here (since Edward reads PULL too), because she just found a need to address about the free products she got from her mcn lololol. 

Posted

I think you misunderstood what she meant in that video. she didn't say that she has never been sponsored to make a video, she said that if companies contact her DIRECTLY for sponsored videos, she has to reject them, but her MCN will find sponsorships for her. a good example of a sponsored video is the 3CE studio collection review. she got all the products from her MCN for free (aka its sponsored) but she did not disclose it in the description. 

I'm not Korean but since you mentioned that she even got basic words mixed up.......... maybe doing a review in Korean isn't the best idea lol. But you're right, it's her channel and she can do whatever the hell she wants including producing beauty reviews using wrong words or phrases. 

hi joan if youre reading, you should rlly state whether you got the products free or not as im sure viewers will want to know if you actually bought the products w your own money. in fact stating that youre not paid to do the video can be very misleading. i have no probs with sponsored content or youtubers reviewing products they get for free, but i think it is a must to state it down. sunnydahye mentioned that she hated this concealer/foundation (cant rmb) but luckily she got it for free otherwise she would be so pissed. 

i find her reasoning quite unnecessary when she said that she picked out the items because of us, because we wanted her to review it, because everything she does is for us. idk youtubers have been pulling this shit a lot recently and its getting quite annoying. we get it, you can get free products to try out and i think most of us should be fine with that, you dont have to keep going about how it is all for your viewers. 

Posted

Hello~ I have been enjoying Joan's vlogs for a long time already but recently I found myself not clicking onto her newer videos anymore because I think her vlogs can get quite repetitive like you guys mentioned above. I really wanted to enjoy her videos again so I did watch the latest joanday vlog and I got so bored!! I don't know why she kept repeating her words and the explanation of why she get free stuff is really quite sudden and weird. All along watching her vlogs I havve never seen people asking about why she got free stuff. It make me feel she is starting to feel guilty about not indicating whether it is sponsored? :(

Omg I have never noticed that!! Now I really cant trust her opinions. I think she is sponsored by Innis Free and Cosrx too that is why she is always promoting that two brands. :| 

Anyway I don't think I will be watching her vlogs any time again soon. Hopefully she will produce more interesting content but currently they are getting quite boring. 

Posted

Sort of off topic, but does anyone else think Joan's nose looks off? It just doesn't fit with the rest of her face and looks fake.

Posted (edited)

lol that's what I like about Joan. I just get the impression that she's koreabamerocan and not just Korean so she's not as easily pressured or brainwashed into getting plastic surgery. I don't think she'll get plastic surgery and  She didn't get any plastic surgery even though all her friends did lol. Her nose looks real to me and she's shared pictures of herself as a teenager and she looks the same as then except less tan...

so so are you implying that she should get a nose job?? 

Edited by Sayonaroo

Posted (edited)

Edited by mizuhara

Posted

I don't think it looks off, it's just big which is why I guess it looks kinda fake like she just stuck it onto her face? 

Posted

i don't think she got a nose job cuz if she does, her nose would actually looks slimmer and more proportionate ? but i guess it just looks off maybe cuz of how she contours it?

Posted

the way that joan keeps mentioning that she loves marble in her vlogs are really annoying.

Posted

I feel the pain of overexfoliation, but I don't really get what in her routine makes her overexfoliate. Maybe it's because I've been using actives for longer, but I don't see how just the vit C could possibly cause overexfoliation.

As for the marble love, well, it is annoying. I mean, I love marble myself (I know I'm basic) but I don't do marble everything.