• Announcements

• Official PULL Discord! (Updated)   01/14/19

Hi Everyone!  We've opened up an official discord. In order to join, you need to have posted at least 20 comments on PULL! This is to make sure we don't let in any flakes with ulterior motives. After joining, you will receive a DM with instructions on how to get verified! Also, your registration date needs to be earlier than December 2018 so that we don't get a ton of people signing up only to join the Discord but without actually contributing to PULL. Drop by and chat here: https://discord.gg/KDF2kt5 Also, we need to upgrade our server in the very near future. PULL grows bigger by the day (yay!) but  to handle the load, we need upgrades. For less than the cost of what you spend on Netflix, we can continue to host your content. Whether it's $1 or $5 a month, all gifts are appreciated. Please consider giving here: https://www.patreon.com/PULL We've also added a gofundme link: https://www.gofundme.com/PULLnet Thank you for your continued love and support!

youtube Joankeem / Joanday

5905 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It's so strange though. Didn't she grow up in California and attend public school and go to college ??? 

I noticed from her vlog that she thinks 틀리다 (wrong) means 다르다 (different). I remeber in one of her vlogs she made  this mistake While saying something to Erin (it seems like her Korean is better than Joan's ) and Erin didn't correct her and I thought it was kinda funny. That was because whatever she said would mean "wrong" rather than "different" which could be interpreted as an insult lol rather than what she was trying to say

Edited by Sayonaroo

Posted

I wouldn't be surprised if her Korean isn't that great. She's American: born and raised. I'm not Korean so I cannot say anything about that. 

However, I can't see the same with her English. I understand that you'd expect a higher level of English coming from someone college-educated but it's a vlog/beauty channel. When you're speaking in English conversationally, grammar can be relaxed. Phrases like 'so aesthetic' are grammatically incorrect but it's what people (namely millennials) use these days. I use it but in text because it sounds ridiculous coming out of my mouth without an American accent.

Posted (edited)

Well I'm Korean and I can tell you she's not fluent because she only say the same things over and over again kinda like the way she speaks English but way worse because her vocab/expression is that much more limited.  I think that's fine and whatnot considering she grew up in California and there's plenty of Koreanamerocans who don't speak Korean or speak worse than her and ultimately up to her if she wants to improve her Korean or learn some other language

She makes really basic English mistakes like in her what's in my bag video she says I want my commute to be accompanied with music... it should clearly be "by" in this case. It's just one example but there's so many you would notice if you just paid attention. Bethany mota etc etc are pretty limited their expression in English but they don't make these kind of mistakes as far as I remeber ( I'm not watching Bethany's mota or other eh youtuber videos to confirm lol) . 

Edited by Sayonaroo

Posted

the worst outfit/look ever.

IMG_1574.PNG

She was going to GD's concert so she wore GD type fashion lmao (honestly most of the time these days I look at him and go ????)

Also I don't think that shade of pink is too hard to pull off IF the shade itself suits the person's complexion but it doesn't in her case. She needs to search for a bright pink that actually suits her, try out different undertones 

Posted

She was going to GD's concert so she wore GD type fashion lmao (honestly most of the time these days I look at him and go ????)

As far as I agree that GD's fashion can sometimes be questionable, what he wears doesn't look as flashy as her middle schooler cheap shirt:drool:

Posted

i find that i dont watch her videos anymore because it seems as if she mentions the same products in almost every favorites or routine video. like i get it, certain products work wonders and people tend to stick to it and repurchase them, but is it really necessary to make so many videos about them (her korean beauty playlist has 113 videos)? its always the same cosrx, troiareauke, and innisfree products and a new product or a few here and there. it just is repetitive and boring imo. if you look at her skincare video thumbnails, you see so many of the repeats (cosrx pimple patches, innisfree orchid cream, cosrx ph cleanser, etc). 

Posted

i find that i dont watch her videos anymore because it seems as if she mentions the same products in almost every favorites or routine video. like i get it, certain products work wonders and people tend to stick to it and repurchase them, but is it really necessary to make so many videos about them (her korean beauty playlist has 113 videos)? its always the same cosrx, troiareauke, and innisfree products and a new product or a few here and there. it just is repetitive and boring imo. if you look at her skincare video thumbnails, you see so many of the repeats (cosrx pimple patches, innisfree orchid cream, cosrx ph cleanser, etc). 

Yeah, she's really stuck in her comfort zone. I think the last beauty video I watched was her with the romand cosmetic brand producer and she kept exclaiming how this was sooo much makeup and she would never do her makeup in the way that the other woman would? LOL She seems to know or be curious about skincare products and makeup than the average beauty blogger.

That being said, as someone with problem skin, I can see why she's wary of trying new products.

Posted

That being said, as someone with problem skin, I can see why she's wary of trying new products.

i just think it defeats her channel's purpose of reviewing beauty products if she just makes all these updated routines and empties and favorites of the same stuff and reviewing them multiple times. 

Posted

I wouldn't say Joan is all that knowledgeable about products. She talks about what the product is designed to do, but she doesn't have much knowledge about the ingredients/science/pH that makes it effective. I don't expect her to because she doesn't have that sort of background to be able to explain it well, but I find it a comfort to see that she sticks to the same things because I know that she's not shilling out products for the sake of money. Also, it gives me time to think whether I want to try it out for myself. 

Posted

Yeah I saw she uploaded an empties video not too long ago and I didn't bother clicking on it after I saw the same few products on the thumbnail. 

i just think it defeats her channel's purpose of reviewing beauty products if she just makes all these updated routines and empties and favorites of the same stuff and reviewing them multiple times. 

Exactly... The job of a beauty blogger is to try out new products to review imo. Especially when she lives in Korea where there are so much good skincare and beauty products she can try. 

It's so strange though. Didn't she grow up in California and attend public school and go to college ??? 

I noticed from her vlog that she thinks 틀리다 (wrong) means 다르다 (different). I remeber in one of her vlogs she made  this mistake While saying something to Erin (it seems like her Korean is better than Joan's ) and Erin didn't correct her and I thought it was kinda funny. That was because whatever she said would mean "wrong" rather than "different" which could be interpreted as an insult lol rather than what she was trying to say

I'm not Korean and I don't live in Korea but I watch Korean variety shows and I know the difference between the two. I don't think I'm good enough to have a conversation in Korean but I feel like that 2 words are pretty basic? 

Posted

^agree. i'm pretty sure most beauty bloggers have products they stick to and use every month, but they don't mention them in every favourites and empties video because who wants to watch the same thing over and over again? 

Posted

Yeah, I can see why she does it, and it really does not make for interesting content. I wouldn't mind if she had update every couple of months about the products she still likes, it'd be different from her constantly putting the same things in her favorites or her skin routines. Trying new things is not her strength.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I saw she uploaded an empties video not too long ago and I didn't bother clicking on it after I saw the same few products on the thumbnail. 

Exactly... The job of a beauty blogger is to try out new products to review imo. Especially when she lives in Korea where there are so much good skincare and beauty products she can try. 

I'm not Korean and I don't live in Korea but I watch Korean variety shows and I know the difference between the two. I don't think I'm good enough to have a conversation in Korean but I feel like that 2 words are pretty basic? 

yes those words are really basic

it's in the beginning of this video. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d8PJS5iIXoI

i feel like I've heard her make the mistake in another video... clearly she's more comfortable speaking English and has never said she's fluent in Korean and that's perfectly fine. 

im just so curious as to why her English is so lacking . I remeber  being shocked when I found out she worked at a radio company, said she was an English major at point, said her dream is to become a reporter because they all require one to be good at talking....

Edited by Sayonaroo

Posted

yes those words are really basic

it's in the beginning of this video. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d8PJS5iIXoI

i feel like I've heard her make the mistake in another video... clearly she's more comfortable speaking English and has never said she's fluent in Korean and that's perfectly fine. 

im just so curious as to why her English is so lacking 

can you provide more examples of her lacking english? i seldom watch her vids so i wouldnt know, but im really curious haha 

Posted

Anyone knows if her most recent updated skincare routine (skincare diet) video is sponsored? It seems like it's sponsored by Huxley but she didn't mention it except for a disclaimer saying that she is not paid to do the video. But getting paid and getting sponsored the products are different, most companies only sponsor products instead of paying youtubers with actual money especially for smaller youtubers like Joan. Does she ever states that a video is sponsored or not? A friend of mine wanted to get an eye cream but after watching her $500 worth of eye cream video, she wasn't sure if the products were sponsored and so she couldn't fully trust Joan on her opinions. 

And as much as I know everyone loves her brother Abe, isn't it quite random to do a skincare routine of her brother on her own channel, especially when all the products he uses are mentioned 10,000 times in her own videos? Just my opinion, but I'd prefer if she did the video together with her brother, something like a collab. 

I've always wonder why she does videos in Korean when she is obviously not fluent in it and has an accent.