• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Joankeem / Joanday

7915 posts in this topic

Posted

From her Sephora video: "And over the years, I notice that my skin is looking more plump, blah blah"

Am I crazy or is this grammatically incorrect? Shouldn't it be "And over the years, I've noticed that my skin looks more plump, blah blah blah"?

It's something she's noticed over time, so it should be progressive. She has noticed that it looks more plump, glowing, whatever.

Also, this video isn't the one she filmed at the shoot. Outfit and setting are completely different. I'm assuming this is something she filmed on her own for Sephora. The Sephora one was a larger scale production and seems like it'd be on a campaign landing page (not tucked away on a product page) or heck, even on in-store display -- and with a script writer with proper grammar.

Anyways, thanks Vika_ and others. We'll be on the lookout for the final video.

What she said is fine. I don't like the girl but a lot of what she says is stuff that is fine, so can we move on from nitpicking her English? She's not great at expressing herself and yeah that's her job but sometimes this thread devolves into people just flexing their English skills... 

Posted

^ More than "flexing" their English skills, I'm pretty sure people are just pointing out the fact that the way she speaks English (her native language) has deteriorated over time... while her Korean hasn't improved much, which would in any other case explain her losing touch with English.

Posted

^ More than "flexing" their English skills, I'm pretty sure people are just pointing out the fact that the way she speaks English (her native language) has deteriorated over time... while her Korean hasn't improved much, which would in any other case explain her losing touch with English.

But that's what I mean, and sometimes what she's said is perfectly fine for spoken English. It's just tiresome to see the thread devolve - I'd understand it when she says stupid things but it's not always. 

Posted

I gotta say, I lost it after hearing her dermatologist say that her skin breaks his heart. Lmao. 

This comes in her laser skincare video on her Joan Kim channel, which I watched because I was uber bored today (as one frequently is as a new graduate). 

Yups. I’m pretty unapologetic about watching Joan for laughs - she’s just a walking parody of a spoilt brat everyone pokes fun at for being an airhead in a movie. 

Posted

I literally went "WTF" out loud at her latest empties video. She ACTUALLY carried a bag of trash around with her while in the states so that she could film the empties video there. Well I am guessing it was for the "background aesthetics" aka that VERY NORMAL looking hotel room she was in. I honestly cannot fathom why she decided to do this, is this so that she could prove how "hardworking" she is such that she was still filming videos on a work trip? Girl you had plenty of time to film when you were on your break.

Posted

^It's to show us how "hardworking" and "dedicated" she is to her channel. She always does things like this, always mentioning how she carries around 2 vlogging cameras for Youtube... 

For those who have watched the video, I'm curious to know if her empties video is helpful or was it another video where she constantly says "it makes my skin feels or looks SO moisturized and SO plumped"  and "the packaging is so pretty so minimalistic so simple" without elaborating much on the ingredients? Aesthetics are not important if the actual content is high quality... It's 2020 and she still can't understand her 2018 life motto "quality over quantity". 

Posted

^It's to show us how "hardworking" and "dedicated" she is to her channel. She always does things like this, always mentioning how she carries around 2 vlogging cameras for Youtube... 

For those who have watched the video, I'm curious to know if her empties video is helpful or was it another video where she constantly says "it makes my skin feels or looks SO moisturized and SO plumped"  and "the packaging is so pretty so minimalistic so simple" without elaborating much on the ingredients? Aesthetics are not important if the actual content is high quality... It's 2020 and she still can't understand her 2018 life motto "quality over quantity". 

She got lucky a few years ago and she mistook it for talent and now nobody's ever gonna get through to her, unfortunately 

Posted (edited)

It seems like Joan has now also hidden the number of subscribers she has on her main channel, which is extremely weird as an "influencer". But as we can all see, this channel has plateaued over the last year in terms of subscribers. Don't know who's even subscribing to this girl now except for young teens who suck up anything that is K-Pop related. -_-

Screen_Shot_2020-02-13_at_10.30.57_AM.th

Edited by mondaylisa
Added social blade image

Posted

That trash talk vid was awful. She ain’t even trying. She said nothing of substance. She sounds like an idiot. What the hell has she been doing for the past 4 years?? 

Posted

She should really quit that hand/face pose in her most recent ig post. It's just so stupid and not cute at all. Was that pose invented by girls who just had their noses done and not ready to show the world yet? 

Posted

Her review was very vague. Her description regarding the ingredients listed for the products that she were reviewing as usual is very lacking. She did mention a particular product has oils (I think that the she wanted to say essential oils) and she said that did not break her out. First time she said something quite informative I must say haha

She said that she went to Dr. Jart store when they were releasing an essence that she was reviewing, she said the store was super blue and she just felt hydrated being inside there. Maybe true but I did not go there so I have no idea 😅

She kept saying this when she reviewed body care products (body cleansers, body butter etc), "they were super moisturizing, and I don't know what else to say about it." So what is the purpose of me watching her beauty review if she said very moisturizing all the time?

Her review was too simple and she did not elaborate much on her reviews compared to other beauty youtubers.

And whenever she mentioned her moisturizer (the Neogen Joan Day and Night Cream), she said that she already reviewed it so her viewers can watch her review that she uploaded long before. The thing about opinion, including in the skincare and beauty department is that opinion can change and the Neogen video was uploaded long ago and her opinion has not change since then? I am confused when she did not elaborate on her cream/moisturizer and just said that people can watch her review/past opinions on the Neogen cream 

The only nice part will be that she did look quite decent. Her hair looked nice, her overall look was okay in my opinion.

Posted (edited)

Her review was very vague. Her description regarding the ingredients listed for the products that she were reviewing as usual is very lacking. She did mention a particular product has oils (I think that the she wanted to say essential oils) and she said that did not break her out. First time she said something quite informative I must say haha

She said that she went to Dr. Jart store when they were releasing an essence that she was reviewing, she said the store was super blue and she just felt hydrated being inside there. Maybe true but I did not go there so I have no idea 😅

She kept saying this when she reviewed body care products (body cleansers, body butter etc), "they were super moisturizing, and I don't know what else to say about it." So what is the purpose of me watching her beauty review if she said very moisturizing all the time?

Her review was too simple and she did not elaborate much on her reviews compared to other beauty youtubers.

And whenever she mentioned her moisturizer (the Neogen Joan Day and Night Cream), she said that she already reviewed it so her viewers can watch her review that she uploaded long before. The thing about opinion, including in the skincare and beauty department is that opinion can change and the Neogen video was uploaded long ago and her opinion has not change since then? I am confused when she did not elaborate on her cream/moisturizer and just said that people can watch her review/past opinions on the Neogen cream 

The only nice part will be that she did look quite decent. Her hair looked nice, her overall look was okay in my opinion.

You can't count on her to go in depth about her cream because chances are she wasn't that involved in the actual development process. I think I read there is lavender oil in it, which is irritating to the skin....go figure.

She likely chose some label design that she liked and was presented what the chemists whipped up for the ingredients.

Edited by azn406

Posted

You can't count on her to go in depth about her cream because chances are she wasn't that involved in the actual development process. I think I read there is lavender oil in it, which is irritating to the skin....go figure.

She likely chose some label design that she liked and was presented what the chemists whipped up for the ingredients.

I do agree that she probably cannot tell a lot of stuff regarding the development process of that cream

But at least she could tell/mention in what way the cream helped her skin as of currently since she has emptied a lot of that Neogen cream

She is always like that because she has this tendency to say something like "I am going to stop talking about this since I have reviewed this many times before, you guys can watch my previous video that I made about this x product"

Joan did not even try to put a clip/short snippet of her previous review on the Neogen cream if she really did not want to elaborate much on the cream. Kind of lazy on her part hurmm 😩

Because of that I complained about why would she do that kind of stuff, since review of any products can change with time. Does her review still the same as the previous time or she really does not care about being a little bit dilligent when filming her empties video?

It is kind of frustating whenever I am talking about Joan since she really does not try to give extra effort when doing reviews and she should try to study about skincare ingredients and stop posting videos containing lack of useful infos regarding skincare when she has been dabbling with this kbeauty stuffs for 3 years or more I think?