• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

youtube Joankeem / Joanday

8261 posts in this topic

Posted

I just watched her vlog and what happened to her hair???? So flat thin and sparse. Poor girl is balding from all the hair dye

Is it me or she is again playing the victim because of the criticism in her videos again? It's like last year when she had a rant saying she was gonna improve the quality and stuff but then that didn't happened???? 

Posted

I cant believe she scrolled through pictures, picked THIS and edited it and thought she looked cute.. I guess it must be something to not be self aware, coz I'm sure we all know when we take a pic and look nice and when we don't 

Damn what happened to just smiling? Girl, no fish faces please! Just try and smile 😐

Posted (edited)

I don’t think joans even into skincare at this point.  I saw Abe’s video on PR PACKAGES and she got free drunk elephant crap which is ridiculously expensive. No idea about the morph stuff.’Is her drunk elephant video from 2018 sponsored? I don’t think she said it was sponsored in the video... but all those products add up to hundreds of dollars.

Edited by Sayonaroo

Posted (edited)

I don’t think joans even into skincare at this point.  I saw Abe’s video on PR PACKAGES and she got free drunk elephant crap which is ridiculously expensive. No idea about the morph stuff.’Is her drunk elephant video from 2018 sponsored? I don’t think she said it was sponsored in the video... but all those products add up to hundreds of dollars.

It was sponsored. 

Joan should just quit Youtube, her content are so stale and boring. Like some of you said even smaller Youtubers have much better content. 

Edited by patrickstar

Posted

i don't understand how she was "burnout" when she came back from her like 5 month long break for what a month? she just got used to not working and surviving purely on instagram sponsorships. these youtubers are so lazy

Posted

Joan (3 years ago): Upload new videos several times in a week

Joan:

Joan (now, for past year or so): Upload 1 or less videos every week on average

Joan: Oh it's so exhausting... I'm tired... I need a break... 5 months break. 

Also Joan: Hey guys, I'm travelling to Paris next month!!! 

I can really see how tired (/lazy) you are 

Posted

Joan (3 years ago): Upload new videos several times in a week

Joan:

Joan (now, for past year or so): Upload 1 or less videos every week on average

Joan: Oh it's so exhausting... I'm tired... I need a break... 5 months break. 

Also Joan: Hey guys, I'm travelling to Paris next month!!! 

I can really see how tired (/lazy) you are 

plus she keeps mentioning when she uploaded 10 videos a week 2 years ago? that was in 2017 joan we're almost in 2020 

Posted

I'd like to know how she could afford $50-80 creams from Eve Lom in college if that's when her family was bankrupt....

Posted

I honestly don't believe that they were THAT poor. I just think they had to tighten the purse strings for a bit but nowhere near how poor she tried to project them to be. She was still in USC, a fancy expensive school and I don't think she had a scholarship especially since her major was film? No offense, but that is the kind of major rich kids go for along with art history or fashion. Most of them never do anything with their majors and Joan here went to a fancy university for film only to churn out not creative, unoriginal, repetitive and poorly shot Youtube videos. 

I don't know how scholarships work in America but in my country, they would likely give scholarships to someone with a science or law major as those kids deserve to pursue their dream and they have the brains so the scholarship doesn't turn out to be a waste of money.   

Posted

I honestly don't believe that they were THAT poor. I just think they had to tighten the purse strings for a bit but nowhere near how poor she tried to project them to be. She was still in USC, a fancy expensive school and I don't think she had a scholarship especially since her major was film? No offense, but that is the kind of major rich kids go for along with art history or fashion. Most of them never do anything with their majors and Joan here went to a fancy university for film only to churn out not creative, unoriginal, repetitive and poorly shot Youtube videos. 

I don't know how scholarships work in America but in my country, they would likely give scholarships to someone with a science or law major as those kids deserve to pursue their dream and they have the brains so the scholarship doesn't turn out to be a waste of money.   

Slightly OT:

Joan went for film studies, not creation (possibly why her videos suck). USC is where rich kids go except the film school which is regarded as one of the top in the country and has a ridiculous amount of connections to the film industry, due in large part to their alums. If she had gone there for film it would've been a smart choice--not sure why you say most people who go to USC for film never do anything with that major? That school is pretty known for being a conveyer belt to Hollywood, which is why it's hyper competitive to get in and if you work in the industry and say you went to USC film its name recognition is very Harvard-esque. But also pretty sure she went to UC Berkeley, which I know nothing about and have never heard of their film program and know literally no one who would choose that school for film/film studies. Also, in America you can get merit scholarships for a lot of stuff and film schools can and do give some pretty hefty ones, depending on your background/skill/application, or the school can offer you a large scholarship which allows you to go there for film. I know people who've gotten full rides to NYU (which is like $60k/yr tuition) based on merit, and they didn't have to limit themselves major-wise. 

But going back to Joan, if her family WAS that poor she could've gotten financial aid (aka need-based scholarships), or she could've taken out loans. Has she ever mentioned loans/student debt? Usually people with large amounts of student debt do bring it up because...it sucks and it's always there haha. Just saying it is possible that she was as poor as she said--her going to UC Berkeley doesn't automatically rule that out. 

BUTTTTTT I personally think she was never truly poor. Being legitimately poor changes you in irrevocable (usually pretty damaging) ways, and I feel like people who had times where they tightened the pursestrings but were never truly poor tend to use the expression "OMG I was poor/broke" toooooo much despite never having been poor. I think it was just her experience, that she was poorer than before, and she used that for sympathy. Didn't she talk about it right around when she had that video on her ex-boyfriend cheating on her and she went off on the girl rather than the guy? Maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly but I remember feeling like she wanted pity after that load of crap that she brought on herself. But yeah she never struck me as someone who ever knew what it was to be without money, just maybe without enough money to spend recklessly.

Posted

I stand corrected. I remembered incorrectly that she went to UC Berkeley rather than USC. Whether or not she did get any financial aid and not a free ride aka scholarship, that means that she had to pay them back as it is basically a loan. If university education costs a standard $50,000 per year, that means a normal college grad owes $200,000 to whoever gave them financial aid.  That's a huge chunk of money that the average person will most likely pay off during their 20's. I know Joan has made a lot of money off Youtube and perhaps she has earned $200,000 already and has paid off her student loan but at the same time, she spent so much money on frivolous stuff as well as the astronomical housing costs in Seoul during that time. 

I think a person who has experienced poverty can take either of these two paths once they earn money. 1 Be very careful with their spending 2. Spend it all to show off.

There's nothing wrong with Joan enjoying her money because she still earned it in a legal way. I think what irks all of us here is how she tries to play up how "poor" she once was and how much of a hard worker she is. She worked hard when she started her channel but got complacent and honestly, just entitled like most Youtubers who let fame and money get into their heads.. 

Posted

Tbh my impression is that she misunderstood what being bankrupt actually means...because she honestly comes across super air headed and just not that smart. 

Posted

Tbh my impression is that she misunderstood what being bankrupt actually means...because she honestly comes across super air headed and just not that smart. 

Not only that, but it shows how tone deaf she actually is to the struggles of actual poor people. Like "I can't actually cover my basic needs with this pittance of a wage I earn" poor and "I've been eating rice and beans for the last 2 years of my life" poor. Perhaps this is just me being PC in an age that is more and more focused on being PC but it baffles me when people talk about "being poor" when they're constantly buying a lot of really expensive bags/clothes that aren't practical (ahem Dior Saddle bag - that bag holds literally nothing) or aesthetically pleasing/suited to her. 

Posted

She's not even smart with her spending for luxury goods. All she has are basically trendy pieces that will be out of style in a few years. Just look at the Gucci bags she has bought in 2017-2018, she never wears them again and will likely not have good resale value if she decides to sell them because they are trendy and don't hold their value compared to more classic styles that she could keep and look good in even as an older lady or would be a great financial investment in the future if she decides to sell them. The same goes with all her hypebae clothing that looks tragic on her now but imagine her being older and still wearing expensive hypebae brands. 

Posted

I was going to say that she probably meant her family was poorer in comparison to her friends/classmate families. But she has probably been at the very least middle class? Unless, her parents did actually file for bankruptcy which would explain her really poor financial decisions...