• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Joankeem / Joanday

7518 posts in this topic

Posted

I think Joan's and Abe's interactions can come off a bit unnatural simply because they are in front of a camera, not because their relationship is not genuine. I'd have to say that Joan's gestures and body language is still rather stiff despite vlogging for a while now. I don't blame her though. She says that vlogging when she's out with friends stresses her out a bit and she can't really enjoy catching up with them unless the camera is off. She probably feels like she has to be "on" and display her best self whenever she is recording which is understandable.

Tl;dr: I think she's not completely comfortable in front of the camera yet.. at least that's my impression. 

Posted

Crazy idea, not every sibling relationship is the same? You're seeing 30 edited minutes out of her day, you don't know what Abe is doing if you're not seeing him on her vlogs lol. You're really just nitpicking.

well that's just my opinion on it and of course not every sibling relationship is the same, im just saying its less common to have a younger brother follow you shopping. or at least in my country its not something you'd see. you're really just nitpicking about these comments about abe. lol~ 

Posted

lol her new vid titled "our love for bigbang". does anyone knows how legit her love for big bang is? honestly she seems to be a new fan, probably like a fan since 2-3 years....? idk but the way she's hyping over them just sounds like a new fan.

i just realised that I don't know how old she is. how old is she? she looks like a 28/29? 

If I'm not wrong, Joan is 26 this year. ^I agree she looks like a 29 or 30. Her smile lines make her look old. 

^^^Well I think she's not exactly a new fan, she probably didn't stan them since day 1 but most likely not a super new fan either. She's trying to attract the koreaboos like what others stated maybe? 

Posted

I think Joan's and Abe's interactions can come off a bit unnatural simply because they are in front of a camera, not because their relationship is not genuine. I'd have to say that Joan's gestures and body language is still rather stiff despite vlogging for a while now. I don't blame her though. She says that vlogging when she's out with friends stresses her out a bit and she can't really enjoy catching up with them unless the camera is off. She probably feels like she has to be "on" and display her best self whenever she is recording which is understandable.

Tl;dr: I think she's not completely comfortable in front of the camera yet.. at least that's my impression. 

I don't think so, she gives me the impression that she is like that in real life - stiff and awkward. She also mentioned that vlogging with friends made it easier for her to be more natural. I watch Joan's vlogs sometimes, when I have nothing left to watch or when someone I know is featured in her vlog (eg Q2Han, I love them!), so I can't say that I like her because her vlogs are not exactly attractive to me, most likely because I'm not a koreaboo and I agree, her vlogs does seem to be done to attract more koreboos esp the recent ones. Her skincare videos are not that great either, at least not that great to rave about, they are good but they are just like the other thousands of beauty gurus on Youtube. It's her strength, but probably because she is weak in everything else.

I'm not exactly sure of the reason why I just can't seem to like her vlogs but I'm thinking it's because I like watching pretty girls and Joan is not really pretty. She has a skinny frame but her face always looks so puffy and lifeless - even with make up. I'm not sure if she doesn't know what compliments her looks or she simply doesn't have the looks. 

If I'm not wrong, Joan is 26 this year. ^I agree she looks like a 29 or 30. Her smile lines make her look old. 

^^^Well I think she's not exactly a new fan, she probably didn't stan them since day 1 but most likely not a super new fan either. She's trying to attract the koreaboos like what others stated maybe? 

I thought she was 30 too. 

Lastly, sorry about the unpopular opinion, I see that most of Joan's fans are very sensitive when someone says something negative about their idol. But this is a forum and you should expect to read different opinions, just because someone doesn't feel the same about something doesn't mean they are being nitpicking. 

Posted

awww i like joan! she's a little bit bland and her personality doesn't immediately suck you in the way a lot of yters do, but i think that girl next door aura about her is so charming :alpacasad: her occasional awkwardness and stiffness is so relatable and tbh.... it just feels really rewarding to see normal & plain people becoming successful online lmfao

i don't really watch any of her content other than her skincare videos,,, her reviews of skincare products are always really exhaustive and helpful imo and her recommendations are always really good!! her voice is soothing and she's not obnoxiously peppy or anything. && her vlogs are a bit more hit and miss but they're generally very relaxing and sweet to watch :alpacacrush: tbh she's kind of my girl crush lol

oh and side note;; i've been subscribed to her for a couple of years now and she was definitely always super into yg and khiphop, but never really kpop? so the new mentions are definitely kboo bait r i p

Posted

awww i like joan! she's a little bit bland and her personality doesn't immediately suck you in the way a lot of yters do, but i think that girl next door aura about her is so charming :alpacasad: her occasional awkwardness and stiffness is so relatable and tbh.... it just feels really rewarding to see normal & plain people becoming successful online lmfao

i don't really watch any of her content other than her skincare videos,,, her reviews of skincare products are always really exhaustive and helpful imo and her recommendations are always really good!! her voice is soothing and she's not obnoxiously peppy or anything. && her vlogs are a bit more hit and miss but they're generally very relaxing and sweet to watch :alpacacrush: tbh she's kind of my girl crush lol

oh and side note;; i've been subscribed to her for a couple of years now and she was definitely always super into yg and khiphop, but never really kpop? so the new mentions are definitely kboo bait r i p

I think she's starting to include more Kpop related things into the title of her blogs to attract more koreaboos. 

I mean YG is also Kpop and she also mentioned other Kpop artistes in her vlogs like EXO so. 

I'm the opposite of you, I got interested in her when I first found her channel which was why I created this thread to know more. But the more I watch her vlogs, the more boring it gets because they don't really have substance and I agree that she's not that pretty. 

Not that you must be pretty to be a youtuber but you need to be either entertaining or good looking i feel and Joan is kinda meh on both factors. 

I don't think so, she gives me the impression that she is like that in real life - stiff and awkward. She also mentioned that vlogging with friends made it easier for her to be more natural. I watch Joan's vlogs sometimes, when I have nothing left to watch or when someone I know is featured in her vlog (eg Q2Han, I love them!), so I can't say that I like her because her vlogs are not exactly attractive to me, most likely because I'm not a koreaboo and I agree, her vlogs does seem to be done to attract more koreboos esp the recent ones. Her skincare videos are not that great either, at least not that great to rave about, they are good but they are just like the other thousands of beauty gurus on Youtube. It's her strength, but probably because she is weak in everything else.

I'm not exactly sure of the reason why I just can't seem to like her vlogs but I'm thinking it's because I like watching pretty girls and Joan is not really pretty. She has a skinny frame but her face always looks so puffy and lifeless - even with make up. I'm not sure if she doesn't know what compliments her looks or she simply doesn't have the looks. 

I thought she was 30 too. 

Lastly, sorry about the unpopular opinion, I see that most of Joan's fans are very sensitive when someone says something negative about their idol. But this is a forum and you should expect to read different opinions, just because someone doesn't feel the same about something doesn't mean they are being nitpicking. 

Have to agree, her skincare videos are actually average. If you watch other youtubers doing skincare reviews, it sounds just like the things Joan says. How informative can it get? She is not a dermatologist afterall. 

Posted

The thing I don't understand about Joan is the tons of makeup she owns, yet she always does the same look everyday. I know that there are gifts and sponsorised stuff but there are also (expensive) makeup products which she bought alone. What I mean is if she doesn't use them, then what's the point? It's a waste of money.

About her latest video (the hair salon), I was disappointed. She did her hair again but it came out as the exact same thing she had before. I expected a big change but no, it's still that reddish brownish color. :alpacadone:

Posted

29-30? Ouch, that'd take a hit to my ego with all that skincare. I thought Joan had a mature vibe but she'd still be mid 20s (at the time I subscribed, which was a year or two ago I think). I think because I came across Joan through Jenn Im (Clothesencounters), that had some influence to how I perceived her age. If it were through Sunny, I would've thought she'd be older. LOL. I still can't believe Sunny's 27 this year. 

Posted (edited)

29-30? Ouch, that'd take a hit to my ego with all that skincare. I thought Joan had a mature vibe but she'd still be mid 20s (at the time I subscribed, which was a year or two ago I think). I think because I came across Joan through Jenn Im (Clothesencounters), that had some influence to how I perceived her age. If it were through Sunny, I would've thought she'd be older. LOL. I still can't believe Sunny's 27 this year. 

i have cousins that are 30ish and they look similar/give off the same vibe as Joan. not that her skin looks wrinkly and old but she just have that 29 to 30 year old look or vibe to me lol. i think jenn im looks younger than joan actually. i would think that jenn is 26 (which is true to her age) and Joan is 29. 

i didn't know sunny is 27! she looks like she's 22. 

Edited by apeach88

Posted

I just watched her GD concert vlog and it was kind of odd/awkward watching her interact with Ashley from Ladies' Code and CoCo at the cafe. I have no idea who CoCo is exactly... I think she's kind of at a nugu-level or just a popular internet persona (e.g. instafamous, kind of YT famous) but I haven't seen any popular Korean YouTubers actually successfully/legitimately cross into the entertainment industry except for with minor roles. Like Dave from World of Dave (a white guy who speaks Korean) has done English-Korean speaking interviews with like Ma Dong Seok for his drama, Ki Hong Lee, and Sam Hammington. I think the most legitimate mainstream crossover I've seen for a YouTuber was a girl who has a toy/kids-focused channel having her own segment on the variety show My Little Television when Sechskies were guesting on it. 

But back to the awkwardness, she was just watching them being giddy about being twinsies for the Britney Spears concert, I kind of felt bad for her :alpacasad: I guess it might've been her and Ashley's first time meeting but if it was, I probably wouldn't have vlogged it lol The only person who went to the GD concert with her was Abe and Junoflo (wut.... is he friends with Abe????) The rest of the gang (Edward and Sunny) went to the Britney concert. But sweetie needs to lay off on the pink lipstick she wore at the concert. That is not a nice shade on her. It's a color that a lot of Korean grandmas tend to wear and it made her look a bit tacky?  

Posted

well that's just my opinion on it and of course not every sibling relationship is the same, im just saying its less common to have a younger brother follow you shopping. or at least in my country its not something you'd see. you're really just nitpicking about these comments about abe. lol~ 

You're the only one I responded to about abe but alright. They're both in a different country, so it may not be common for you, but it doesn't mean it's not common there. You can't generalize a whole sibling dynamic based off your own experience.

Posted

But sweetie needs to lay off on the pink lipstick she wore at the concert. That is not a nice shade on her. It's a color that a lot of Korean grandmas tend to wear and it made her look a bit tacky?  

I have that exact lipstick. It's not an easy colour to pull off, but I think if she had not picked to let her hair down in curls, worn dangling earrings and a graphic tee, she might just be able to pull it off. The lip is already a statement in itself, so if you keep the outfit simple and have stud earrings, it'd be ok. I prefer to wear this with my hair pulled back. 

Posted

the worst outfit/look ever.

IMG_1574.PNG

Posted

I just watched her GD concert vlog and it was kind of odd/awkward watching her interact with Ashley from Ladies' Code and CoCo at the cafe. I have no idea who CoCo is exactly... I think she's kind of at a nugu-level or just a popular internet persona (e.g. instafamous, kind of YT famous) but I haven't seen any popular Korean YouTubers actually successfully/legitimately cross into the entertainment industry except for with minor roles.

Coco was famous on tumblr years ago for being pretty, and she's from California (I think she went to Pepperdine) so she's probably '89-90. She debuted as a replacement in the group Blady (they disbanded) and in the past year or two she was in [email protected] Korea and in the subunit CocoSori but got kicked out? Or not voted in? Not sure how it works. It's interesting that she befriended Sunny, Edward, and Joan, though, I imagine she's trying to branch out because the stars have just not been aligned in her favor to become an idol, IMO.

I've been watching Joan's vlogs again here and there, and I definitely think she brings in some of her friends for vlog purposes/based on audience request a bit too much. Like I get that it's annoying that people are constantly asking if she's fighting with this friend or that friend, but you also don't have to address it 5 times in a video if it's not true.

Posted (edited)

Is the Coco girl you're talking about the same as the one who was in Edward's latest video?

Edited by Mewd