• Announcements

• Recent changes to PULL   07/07/19

Hello everyone,   As promised, we're working on some changes to improve the forum and community! So far, here are the recent changes: Negative reputation has been disabled. Upvoting remains intact. This is a trial run to deal with whiteknights brigading certain topics and salty users mass-downvoting users they disagree with. Some text formatting options have been removed. Some users like to format their posts in ways that make them harder to read or downright obnoxious. (Light colors, tiny fonts, etc), so this helps make threads more readable. If you find yourself needing post formatting because you're making a new thread, please contact a mod and we will make it happen. New threads have to be approved anyway, so you're not going to have to start out with an ugly thread. Text formatting remains available to all users who have supported us via Patreon.No more threads on "Online Personalities". We will NOT lock or remove old threads, but we won't approve new threads about people who don't have any history of drama or controversies. Some threads will be moved to the snowflake sections if applicable. Read the new topic guidelines before you make a new thread.Here are our works in progress: New categories will be added. "Little Snowflakes" is too broad of a spectrum, so we're going to sort our flakes into a few sub-sections to keep things organized. We will also make more use of tags for those flakes who transcend categories. This will also allow us to appoint moderators to specific categories or snowflakes. New moderators will be onboarded soon. 

youtube Joankeem / Joanday

7128 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm Korean and her Korean vlogs make me cringe so hard. I put off watching them for as long as possible because I can't handle it all at once. The poster above is correct, Joan's Korean is extremely stunted. She can point things out since you're usually just saying something as it is "this is coffee, this is black" but she struggles with longer, fluid conversations that require a longer train of thought than just "here's pink sunglasses" lol. She kept pestering the other two girls to speak Korean so that she could fill up Korean content for her vlog probably because she knows her own Korean isn't enough to really count as a "full Korean vlog"... 

Posted

her korean is very basic, she can’t make longer sentences, and her vocabulary is very basic as well. This is probably why a lot of her subscribers say they understand what she’s saying— because she can only form very basic sentences. (I honestly think her construction skill is almost at par with Edward’s, she’s just a little better)

Some longer(?) comments she made in the vlog, if translated word for word:

”Pretty dongsaengs, *says their names.* I filmed a video in Korean today. Throughout. So that’s today on purpose.”

(Yes she mistakenly said “filmed” in past tense, not “will film/am filming”) 

“Both.are.just.very.pretty!” (the way she said this along with the sentence was just very pre-school like..)

“Our.. like.. hair colors are a— I’m purple, pink, here is gray *pointing to Heejoo*” (said here like how you pertain to places)

”and coconut bingsoo.. is coming” 

“We.. for a while.. chatting? For quite a while. Tbh we always meet and go out at night.”

a lot are very short bc Korean is very forgiving and you can omit a lot of the words and you could still understand what she’s saying... but I wonder how she was able to keep up with the conversations if she spoke like that? I only almost heard her say “right” in Korean when reacting to her friends’ comments.. 

AND ALSO, WHY THE F was she dumb enough to include THIS in the vlog?! I hate it when people raise their feet in restaurants.. and the place looked a little fancy too. This really irked me, does she do this all the time?????

53C186A3-A99F-4BBD-80BD-A707620F5D4F.jpeg

To add on, a lot of her sentences aren't even actual sentences. They're more like fragmented words strung together to form a basic thought (similar to someone saying "Apple. Tasty." but not saying "The apple is tasty."). Also when she says "This coffee's good", she actually says 커피가 맛있대요 which actually translates to "They said this coffee's good." Like... Joan... It's a simple sentence. Just say 커피가 맛있어요... 

As for the coconut bingsu part, if she said that it's coming, why didn't she just translate it like that? 코코넛 빙수를 시켰어요 = We ordered coconut bingsu.

Also just a nitpicky thing, but why does she talk so slowly and why does she occasionally slur her words? It's not cute.

Posted

The other 2 girls looked stunning with their lovely outfits... then you have Joan on the other side of the table... in her outfit...

Posted

her korean is very basic, she can’t make longer sentences, and her vocabulary is very basic as well. This is probably why a lot of her subscribers say they understand what she’s saying— because she can only form very basic sentences. (I honestly think her construction skill is almost at par with Edward’s, she’s just a little better)

”Pretty dongsaengs, *says their names.* I filmed a video in Korean today. Throughout. So that’s today on purpose.”

“Both.are.just.very.pretty!” (the way she said this along with the sentence was just very pre-school like..)

“Our.. like.. hair colors are a— I’m purple, pink, here is gray *pointing to Heejoo*” (said here like how you pertain to places)

“We.. for a while.. chatting? For quite a while. Tbh we always meet and go out at night.”

a lot are very short bc Korean is very forgiving and you can omit a lot of the words and you could still understand what she’s saying... but I wonder how she was able to keep up with the conversations if she spoke like that? I only almost heard her say “right” in Korean when reacting to her friends’ comments.. 

AND ALSO, WHY THE F was she dumb enough to include THIS in the vlog?! I hate it when people raise their feet in restaurants.. and the place looked a little fancy too. This really irked me, does she do this all the time?????

Even with my beginner level Korean-speaking, I understood a lot of it. Wow she's literally on the same level as me O_O that's...that's embarrassing lol

Also I agree with the foot on the chair thing. Look at those two other girls how they're sitting then you have Joan like she's been living in the freaking jungle all her life -__-'

Posted

Even with my beginner level Korean-speaking, I understood a lot of it. Wow she's literally on the same level as me O_O that's...that's embarrassing lol
Also I agree with the foot on the chair thing. Look at those two other girls how they're sitting then you have Joan like she's been living in the freaking jungle all her life -__-'

Don't be like that with our effortless chic queen :haiplz:

Posted (edited)

Haha that reminds me of the time when Joan said she might try reading the korean version of a korean novel that she read the English translation for. I think it was WHITE by hangkang (흰 - 한강) Don’t think it ever happened. It’s pretty obvious she would struggle to keep up with elementary school students during korean language class in public school let alone read a novel unless you consider understand 50% of a novel as “reading” a novel. She couldn’t even read a book of quotes by tablo. She said she understood 70% ( probably only read the English version and opens the korean one from time to time to post it to Instagram lol) and I wouldn’t be surprised if she was overestimating lol. 

She can’t even be bothered to speak proper English let alone improve her korean despite having a lot of free time. She has time to get her nails done like every other day it seems but no time to improve her korean ( little efforts add up to something significant ). Her phone is PROBABLY STILL SET TO ENGLISH. She didn’t even understand what shuffle (임의 재생i n korean) meant 

Edited by Sayonaroo

Posted (edited)

That place looks fancy and they are drinking wine!! I would be so embarrassed to be seen with Joan. She also ruined the otherwise pretty cute outfit with those hideous shoes again.

Money can't buy you style and certainly can't buy you table manners. 

I'm not Korean and I'm just a casual learner, but I noticed those mistakes you pointed out too like how she said "filmed" in past tense and the other girl looked confuse. She's just trying to gain more Kboo followers. 

Edited by patrickstar

Posted

Man, that foot on the chair really annoyed me. How ill mannered can she get? It will honestly put me off my food if I saw someone do that in a nice place like that. Even restaurants where you have to take your shoes off and sit on the floor, people still have their feet and legs below the table. 

I bet she did that because those ugly slip on shoes hurt like hell. 

Posted

Noo Somin don't hang with her. I literally gagged when she put her foot on the seat. Like girl, have you no manners? I only clicked cause of somin. Kard is one of my faves and her youtube channel is very calming and fun to watch. 

Posted

And lol at the photo she chose to insert in her intro. She honestly looks like she just woke up with the expression, that hair and the greasy face and decided to cover a bit of it up with the sunglasses.

A83F7BD3-0490-45DE-9F2D-A1E7BCCF1428.jpeg

Posted

Seems like we have another GURWM video coming up... Our girl is so hardworking coming up with new video ideas!!

Posted

i recently knew joan because of other youtubers i watch & i just wanna know how old is she? she looks 30+ to me (no effense intwnded even tho its prolly offensive) but she’s hanging out w younger youtubers so i assume shes atleast young lol

Posted

i recently knew joan because of other youtubers i watch & i just wanna know how old is she? she looks 30+ to me (no effense intwnded even tho its prolly offensive) but she’s hanging out w younger youtubers so i assume shes atleast young lol

28, cause she was born in 1991 if I'm not mistaken

Posted

she's 28 this year