youtube Joankeem / Joanday

738 posts in this topic

Posted

Sorry I guess I don't know too much about Joan, but what exactly is her job....? All I see her do is meet with friends at cafes and buy clutter, how does she get money to do that?

She is a full-time YouTuber. 

Posted

Her management for being a full time youtuber is CJ E&M, which is a huge company in Korea, so I would imagine she'd be making pretty decent money (I'm only guessing on that. I wouldn't know for sure).

Posted

^not really. to be precise she's under diatv (which is by cj e&m), and they do not pay her at all. all they do is:

1. help her get sponsorship/events deals at times (eg. Kcon), but not all the time, as you can see she is always stuck with the same brands.

2. provide free beauty products based on accumulated points (like she has shown or talked about in numerous vlogs)

3. let her gain access to their music library (copyright-free)

4. help publicize her videos on diatv platform  

5. and instead, she has to pay them 20% of her earnings on youtube (just from google, not from third party companies who engage her and pay her outside of google) for their marketing efforts and benefits received. 

there are a ton of small youtubers under the same management/diatv too, so i dont think all of them are making a lot just because they are under cj e&m. i know because i have a friend on youtube and he was approached by cj e&m to join their management too. 

Posted (edited)

I think her viewers have come to a point where they just like her for her and not because she lives in Korea. Her views stay consistent even when she's overseas.

True, but I feel like it is mainly because of her friends, when you see the comments a lot is referring to her friends being awesome or "I would subscribe to her/him if she/he had a Youtube channel". Same than with Abe. 

On another note, I absolutely hate how she links some of the items she wears in the clothing section of the description box. Either link the exact item or don't link at all. She resorts to linking the entire section of shoes/shirts/hats/pants/you name it... which isn't helpful at all. 

Wow, I tried to follow several times and thought it was simply out of stock or something. But yeah, it is weird... Why is she doing that ? Laziness ? 

1. help her get sponsorship/events deals at times (eg. Kcon), but not all the time, as you can see she is always stuck with the same brands.

Oh yeah always the same brands, it is a shame really... Because I feel like at some point you can't be really honest in your reviews. 

Edited by EllisPoppins

Posted

Wow, I tried to follow several times and thought it was simply out of stock or something. But yeah, it is weird... Why is she doing that ? Laziness ? 

If it was out of stock or old, I wish she'd just state that it is and maybe link a "similar" item (unless it was still available at the time of linking and sold out afterwards). She doesn't bother with (old) Zara items because she can't make money off it, but has to affiliate link brands that can potentially bring in money. I'm probably being nitpicky but I really dislike rstyle.me links :alpacamad:

Posted

The last video in her main channel seemed so creepy to me: this my MY bathroom in MY apartment and I let my mother and brother to share the other bathroom and live in MY apartment  :derp:

Posted

The last video in her main channel seemed so creepy to me: this my MY bathroom in MY apartment and I let my mother and brother to share the other bathroom and live in MY apartment  :derp:

I find this really odd, too. Not so much that maybe she ended up with the master and ensuite. With all her random stuff she probably needs more space, she kind of needs an area for filming, etc. I think you can make arguments why it’s fine. I find the whole attitude odd. The MY apartment thing you guys mentioned. I think she probably pays some of the rent, but I don’t think she pays it all. You know for HER apartment. However, even if she were to pay the full rent, just because her family is living there I find the expression awkward. 

And I agree with @ykp that she seems a bit entitled when it comes to her work, too. And no, I don’t think she makes a good critic whether it’s food or anything else, but I think that is why brands actually like her lol. Sometimes a mixture of their own marketing catchphrases and ‘mmmmmm’ is exactly what they want (if your audience is big enough that is).

Posted

I haven’t watched Joan’s videos for a few weeks and I’m shocked of how much she changed during this year! What happened to her hair, what happened to her fashion sense? I always liked her channel because she was not on the k-pop hype train, because she showed Seoul and nice places to visit and seemed kind of mature in comparison to other youtubers. Now she seems to be more self-confident (in front of the camera) but at the same time she appears childish  ("This is my apartment", „I want this, I want that“ - maybe I’m exaggerating here and but if someone would talk like her in my mother tongue it would sound super spoiled).

Her bathroom video was really boring and I honestly think she is using too much products. She seems to be a little obsessed with her skin: it’s really weird how often she mentions her skin condition.

I liked that she was transparent in her latest video and mentioned she got the 899€ dress and the 419€ bag basically for free…but let’s face it, Joan, this is still a payment! Just because it is not „officially“ a sponsored video doesn’t change the fact they expect from you to show off the 1318€ worthy package on your social media and youtube channel.

Posted

lol her bathroom tour just sounds like showing off all her skincare products. it's not normal to have so many skincare products and I know it's because of her job that she receives many, but i feel like she could've just placed whatever she's currently testing out in the bathroom instead of EVERYTHING she receives? i see people saying that her skincare collection is goals as they only have 1 cleanser 1 toner 1 moisturiser etc, but that's honestly all you really need. she's really obsessed with getting free stuff because if I were her, I'd actually reject companies to avoid hoarding skincare products.

and regarding her getting the main bedroom, I think no matter what, it's only right to let your Mom get the biggest room, idk, might be an Asian thing but the parents always gets the biggest room from what I know. if you need more space, stop being so greedy and stop getting all the free stuff! it's as easy as that. if she's sharing the toilet with her brother, just be considerate and put your own skincare in your room. 

Posted

And I agree with @ykp that she seems a bit entitled when it comes to her work, too. And no, I don’t think she makes a good critic whether it’s food or anything else, but I think that is why brands actually like her lol. Sometimes a mixture of their own marketing catchphrases and ‘mmmmmm’ is exactly what they want (if your audience is big enough that is).

Lol, I totally see what you mean!  If anything, Joan's lack of opinion on anything makes it kind of perfect for companies.  People like Eddie will definitely say what they want about a product, negative or not, and not all companies appreciate such honesty.  

I haven’t watched Joan’s videos for a few weeks and I’m shocked of how much she changed during this year! What happened to her hair, what happened to her fashion sense? I always liked her channel because she was not on the k-pop hype train, because she showed Seoul and nice places to visit and seemed kind of mature in comparison to other youtubers. Now she seems to be more self-confident (in front of the camera) but at the same time she appears childish  ("This is my apartment", „I want this, I want that“ - maybe I’m exaggerating here and but if someone would talk like her in my mother tongue it would sound super spoiled).

Her bathroom video was really boring and I honestly think she is using too much products. She seems to be a little obsessed with her skin: it’s really weird how often she mentions her skin condition.

I liked that she was transparent in her latest video and mentioned she got the 899€ dress and the 419€ bag basically for free…but let’s face it, Joan, this is still a payment! Just because it is not „officially“ a sponsored video doesn’t change the fact they expect from you to show off the 1318€ worthy package on your social media and youtube channel.

My God, I definitely didn't think to check the prices for the free pieces she got.  That.  Is.  Ridiculous.  How is being gifted thousands of dollars worth of product not similar to getting paid?  And tbh, wtf are these companies thinking?  Do they think Joan's viewers can afford anything like that?  What's more, she's not even that big of an influencer.  How much exposure do they really think they're getting?    

Posted

I was laughing quite hard when she said "I sold all the furniture in my old apartment. My old apartment was my grandmas apartment.". We get it Joan. The world belongs to you and spins only for you.

On another note.. what was that bathroom video? She skipped a few products and didn't really explain anything for a lot of the products. I get it, it was only a tour, but she rushed it so much at the end and it seemed like such a lazy and uninspired video. Not that a bathroom tour would ever be anything groundbreaking, but if you put in the work it can be pleasant to watch! She used to make nice single shots of products and yeah, this was a simple tour, she didn't need to do that, but I haven't really seen her put any effort into her videos at all lately. And this girl used to call herself a workaholic and even wore a shirt that said so.

Posted

I find the way she talks is very me me me so I can't ever sit through a video. 

Posted (edited)

Lol, I totally see what you mean!  If anything, Joan's lack of opinion on anything makes it kind of perfect for companies.  People like Eddie will definitely say what they want about a product, negative or not, and not all companies appreciate such honesty.  

Especially for smaller YouTubers like Joan. With the big beauty channels it’s more about being relevant, whether the review ends up being good or bad. Smaller YouTubers have a different vibe when it comes to this in my opinion, more like a “friend” recommending their favourite products. A negative review by them doesn’t do much harm maybe, but it’s pointless. 

In terms of her audience being the target audience for those specific products... I’d assume that is secondary as well. It’s about buying Joan (as people mentioned not being directly paid for the video doesn’t mean much, and while she often ends up getting products by rather expensive brands, those ‘presents’ usually are from companies with a wider range of products) and I’d say it’s also about exposure. All those brands live off of perceived value. How much would Joan’s bracelet still be worth if the majority of people had no clue what Tiffany is. And compared to any other media YouTube advertisement is fairly cheap (or at least used to be). Especially if they don’t even need to pay the YouTuber lol.

lol her bathroom tour just sounds like showing off all her skincare products. it's not normal to have so many skincare products and I know it's because of her job that she receives many, but i feel like she could've just placed whatever she's currently testing out in the bathroom instead of EVERYTHING she receives? i see people saying that her skincare collection is goals as they only have 1 cleanser 1 toner 1 moisturiser etc, but that's honestly all you really need. she's really obsessed with getting free stuff because if I were her, I'd actually reject companies to avoid hoarding skincare products.

and regarding her getting the main bedroom, I think no matter what, it's only right to let your Mom get the biggest room, idk, might be an Asian thing but the parents always gets the biggest room from what I know. if you need more space, stop being so greedy and stop getting all the free stuff! it's as easy as that. if she's sharing the toilet with her brother, just be considerate and put your own skincare in your room. 

I could care less how many products Joan is hoarding, but that people honestly write that this is their goal is ridiculous. All those products eventually expire. There is no point whatsoever in having so many random products around if you just use those for yourself. Skincare is more about finding the right products for you (and I do admit it took me a while and I threw away a lot of stuff that I didn’t use up), not so much about using as much as humanly possible all at once. 

I wonder if that room thing is a cultural one. My parents used to give me the biggest bedroom, with the idea that they only slept in theirs, but I actually spend a lot of time in my bedroom and needed space for homework, friends etc. (Obviously I’m talking about my childhood though. I moved out fairly early so I’m not sure if we would have changed that arrangement later on. Maybe we would have.) Not that the cultural aspect would be an excuse for Joan in that case. I’m just thinking how odd it would have been for e.g. my father to constantly talk about “his house” and ignore my mom and me living there as well...

Edited by popsicle
Clarification