• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

youtube Joankeem / Joanday

6701 posts in this topic

Posted

I totally get what you are saying but a "real job" requires skill or expertise. Her makeup and fashion knowledge is horrendous. Who is going to hire her? She went to college for broadcasting (correct me if I'm wrong) but her pronunciation (along with grammar) is atrocious. Yes YouTube can bring a lot of opportunities (and if she doesn't know that then she's as dumb as she talks) but the problem is no one is offering them to her. Honestly what would they hire her for? MUA? Stylist? Hey let's just do a collab and slap your name it. (The three years she's been a YTber she got one collab) sure she gets asked to be on a panels but I'm pretty sure it's only because she "speaks" English and understand Korean. If she didn't she wouldn't be invited (same with Eddie. Why they both are invited I still can not comprehend) There are so many korean beauty YTbers out there who's makeup skills are on point. They know what they are talking about too in regards to ingredients in the products. Dos and donts. But they can't speak English (I'd rather listen to their broken English than Joan) 

She has nothing to fall back on if she quit YouTube (which is really sad) so she is stuck. I'm sorry but look at her current group of friends in Korea (Christine and Ashley grace) are they going to help her in her YouTube career? I think Joan thinks that being friends with unpopular idols (I'm sorry but it's true. Legit idols are busy working and have no time to be at cafes hanging out) is going to increase her subscriber count like her BFF Eddie (who has a little over a million subscribers how he got that many is beyond me) she thinks by doing nothing like Eddie (his content isn't amazing either) she's going to achieve that. 

tbh even thought eddit has 1 mil something its not getting him anywhere, like its not like he's invited to bigger beauty influencer events or anything. he's just gonna continue making the same makeup look videos and "stories" and vlogs. this applies to joan too, it's not like she's going to get anywhere even if she does reach 1 mil ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted

I totally get what you are saying but a "real job" requires skill or expertise. Her makeup and fashion knowledge is horrendous. Who is going to hire her? She went to college for broadcasting (correct me if I'm wrong) but her pronunciation (along with grammar) is atrocious. Yes YouTube can bring a lot of opportunities (and if she doesn't know that then she's as dumb as she talks) but the problem is no one is offering them to her. Honestly what would they hire her for? MUA? Stylist? Hey let's just do a collab and slap your name it. (The three years she's been a YTber she got one collab) sure she gets asked to be on a panels but I'm pretty sure it's only because she "speaks" English and understand Korean. If she didn't she wouldn't be invited (same with Eddie. Why they both are invited I still can not comprehend) There are so many korean beauty YTbers out there who's makeup skills are on point. They know what they are talking about too in regards to ingredients in the products. Dos and donts. But they can't speak English (I'd rather listen to their broken English than Joan) 

She has nothing to fall back on if she quit YouTube (which is really sad) so she is stuck. I'm sorry but look at her current group of friends in Korea (Christine and Ashley grace) are they going to help her in her YouTube career? I think Joan thinks that being friends with unpopular idols (I'm sorry but it's true. Legit idols are busy working and have no time to be at cafes hanging out) is going to increase her subscriber count like her BFF Eddie (who has a little over a million subscribers how he got that many is beyond me) she thinks by doing nothing like Eddie (his content isn't amazing either) she's going to achieve that. 

i think she went to college for film. i find that pretty surprising considering how lackluster her shots are in terms of framing... especially in static photos like on instagram lmfao but... i guess she can use the excuse that a film major is just "an english major that needs to watch movies" (as she explained in one of her college faq videos - i think the one w/ claudine? don't entirely remember), but then that's just even more surprising because girl can't even form full sentences these days /:

Posted

i think she went to college for film. i find that pretty surprising considering how lackluster her shots are in terms of framing... especially in static photos like on instagram lmfao but... i guess she can use the excuse that a film major is just "an english major that needs to watch movies" (as she explained in one of her college faq videos - i think the one w/ claudine? don't entirely remember), but then that's just even more surprising because girl can't even form full sentences these days /:

https://cal.berkeley.edu/joankim

Yup, a BA in film. 

Posted (edited)

So I am assuming it is pretty much confirmed that Coco is out of Joan's life. She spoke about her friends and included videos of them, including many we have seen before and some we have not seen in a while, but Coco was not included.

https://youtu.be/hEF_rjLBhas

Starts- 00:45

Edited by iTried
Grammar

Posted

i had thought joan majored in cinema studies? majoring in film is VERY different than cinema studies- the former teaches you how to make films and is what ppl like martin scorsese went to school for and the latter teaches you how to critique films, more or less. 

if she actually majored in film and was making this crap i would be so embarrassed for her, as a film major myself. but if she majored in cinema studies but was telling ppl she majored in film (and im pretty sure thats whats happening, cuz i have a BFA bachelors of FINE arts in film, not a plain BA) .......so much cringe. its a lesser version of abe saying he is in medical school when hes studying to be an occupational therapist, just wanting to make her sound cooler/more qualified than she is.

a bit OT but its stupid for joan to say she majored in film instead of cinema studies. a lot of people in the film industry didnt major in film but are now widely successful, whereas a lot of people who majored in film even at my school (myself included) have since left the film industry. its just silly to me to try to exaggerate your past to try to sound cool or something. joan should just say she majored in cinema studies rather than try to fib, cuz cinema studies is a fine major. if anything, im embarrassed i spent money on film school only to not be doing it anymore at all lol shame on me

Posted

I know this was probably posted recently but I just wanted to say this because people criticise Joan Kim's poses:

- Jellabee's poses are just literally the most average poses ever, it just works because she's pretty. I also, on the other hand, think that her poses are somewhat lame and even her being pretty doesn't save them.

- Joan's poses are naturally the SAME but I think her vibe trying to make herself look chic just ruins the pose, no matter what it is. She's just not that type of gal.

I just feel like no matter what pose she does, it's probably gonna look awkward because it's the vibe she gives off.

Posted (edited)

i had thought joan majored in cinema studies? majoring in film is VERY different than cinema studies- the former teaches you how to make films and is what ppl like martin scorsese went to school for and the latter teaches you how to critique films, more or less. 

if she actually majored in film and was making this crap i would be so embarrassed for her, as a film major myself. but if she majored in cinema studies but was telling ppl she majored in film (and im pretty sure thats whats happening, cuz i have a BFA bachelors of FINE arts in film, not a plain BA) .......so much cringe. its a lesser version of abe saying he is in medical school when hes studying to be an occupational therapist, just wanting to make her sound cooler/more qualified than she is.

Hidden Content

At Cal the program is called film studies which she has said before like in her college video with Claudine she was very clear that she didn't study film making. But being her lax self, she usually just leaves off the "studies" part. From what she said about how she settled on a major and just the way she treats her content and channels, I would say she ended up doing film studies because it was the easiest thing for her to do in regards to the effort she wanted to put in and she probably could carry over a good chunk of her credits from being an English major and still graduate on time (even early in her case). There is no way she could have really been that interested in watching and analyzing films and turn out such boring, uncreative, and repetitive content on the regular. And her trouble landing a job before coming to Korea could be attributed to not being able to translate how her studies were relevant to whatever positions she was applying to.

Anyway, her 2018 review video just really highlighted how much she has radically changed in just this last year. Who she is at the start of the video is totally different from who she is at the end... and not in a good way. And you can tell the shift really started around the time she had her "difficult period" (i.e. when she got cheated on). She changed her entire friend group to C-rate idols, radically changed her style to a hypebae "ashthetic," and ramped up her flexing for the cameras. It was also sorta insulting to hear a voiceover of "how hard she worked this year" overlaid on shot after shot of her living a life of leisure. Shopping, eating, cruising on yachts, drinking a ton of wine, going on all expense paid trips abroad, and lounging by the pool with interspersed shots from panels and meet and greets.

Then the CREAM. How "hard" she worked on a cream that was literally offered to her, it's not like she came up with the idea and shopped it around. Would she have ever thought to create a skincare product if the opportunity hadn't been dropped in her lap? And whatever she contributed to the process didn't take away from her ability to cafe hop, run around town with her friends, and jet off for weeks at a time. But it was the hardest thing she ever had to do! 

I hope in 2019 Joan can have a big ole slice of humble pie and ground herself again and actually start working hard. But she probably won't because she has no incentive to.

Edited by tadster91
so many typos

Posted

At Cal the program is called film studies which she has said before like in her college video with Claudine she was very clear that she didn't study film making. But being her lax self, she usually just leaves off the "studies" part. From what she said about how she settled on a major and just the way she treats her content and channels, I would say she ended up doing film studies because it was the easiest thing for her to do in regards to the effort she wanted to put in and she probably could carry over a good chunk of her credits from being an English major and still graduate on time (even early in her case). There is no way she could have really been that interested in watching and analyzing films and turn out such boring, uncreative, and repetitive content on the regular. And her trouble landing a job before coming to Korea could be attributed to not being able to translate how her studies were relevant to whatever positions she was applying to.

Agree, she made it very clear she studied film studies some time ago (but before that it was unclear to a lot of her viewers.) I've studied media studies where I attended a lot of film studies seminars and I can say that film studies is not easy if you take it seriously. However, at my university it was still easy to get average grades with doing the bare minimum. A lot of my classmates didn't watch the films we were supposed to analyze for the next lesson, or read the academic literature, because it was "just film studies" -- they would still pass the course with an average, sometimes bad, term paper. From my experience, it's a major where it is up to you what you make of it. You can work hard or be lazy and choose the easiest way. Maybe Berkley is different but something makes me doubt that.

Posted

I know this was probably posted recently but I just wanted to say this because people criticise Joan Kim's poses:

- Jellabee's poses are just literally the most average poses ever, it just works because she's pretty. I also, on the other hand, think that her poses are somewhat lame and even her being pretty doesn't save them.

- Joan's poses are naturally the SAME but I think her vibe trying to make herself look chic just ruins the pose, no matter what it is. She's just not that type of gal.

I just feel like no matter what pose she does, it's probably gonna look awkward because it's the vibe she gives off.

I'm sorry (you're probably right) but I couldn't get past Joan's lips and how she overdrew the line to watch the rest of the video...

joan.thumb.jpg.fee9e22ea3983069fecec23d5

(While she was talking, I wanted to reach into the screen and take some make up wipes to her lips.)

Posted

I'm sorry (you're probably right) but I couldn't get past Joan's lips and how she overdrew the line to watch the rest of the video...

joan.thumb.jpg.fee9e22ea3983069fecec23d5

(While she was talking, I wanted to reach into the screen and take some make up wipes to her lips.)

I lowkey hope she fixes her brows this year. At this point, browcara ain't enough to enhance them.

Posted

Anyway, her 2018 review video just really highlighted how much she has radically changed in just this last year. Who she is at the start of the video is totally different from who she is at the end... and not in a good way. And you can tell the shift really started around the time she had her "difficult period" (i.e. when she got cheated on). She changed her entire friend group to C-rate idols, radically changed her style to a hypebae "ashthetic," amd ramped up her flexing for the cameras. It was also sorta insulting to hear a voiceover of "how hard she worked this year" overlaid on shot of shot of her living a life of leisure. Shopping, eating, cruising on yachts, drinking a ton of wine, going on all expense paid trips abroad, and lounging by the pool with interspersed shots from panels and meet and greets.

I was just about to say the same thing. This transition from mature, womanly Joan to insecure, superficial Joan is so evident in her 2018 review video. Cheating can really fuck up a person’s mind though, so I wish the best for Joan in recovering her self-esteem. 

Posted

Agree, she made it very clear she studied film studies some time ago (but before that it was unclear to a lot of her viewers.) I've studied media studies where I attended a lot of film studies seminars and I can say that film studies is not easy if you take it seriously. However, at my university it was still easy to get average grades with doing the bare minimum. A lot of my classmates didn't watch the films we were supposed to analyze for the next lesson, or read the academic literature, because it was "just film studies" -- they would still pass the course with an average, sometimes bad, term paper. From my experience, it's a major where it is up to you what you make of it. You can work hard or be lazy and choose the easiest way. Maybe Berkley is different but something makes me doubt that.

Yeah I think it's evident that Joan was the do the bare minimum type, haha. She could easily just model her channel after a Travel Channel type show of her just exploring different hot spots in Seoul and around Korea with her friends taking the focus off of her personal life but still having the interactions her subscribers enjoy and also have fresh content every video because each establishment would be different and new places and things to do spring up all the time, even if she was just limiting it to cafes, restaurants, and retail stores both locally in Korea and when she goes abroad. It's such low hanging fruit and would take such little time and investment initially, she only doesn't do that because she is that lazy and her current input gets her what she wants for the time being. But if she ultimately dreams of moving somewhere like New York, she's going to have to step her game up big time. There won't be a kboo wave to carry her along.

Posted

Joan is not going to last long on Youtube. Her lack of passion is showing through her videos. There are many Youtubers out there who have been making videos for 10 years and you can still feel their enthusiasm and passion in their videos. Whereas for Joan, she sounds dead and monotone (or maybe it's because she's always speaking so slowly because she can't form sentences while speaking at a normal pace), her eyes look dead and she just looks bored in all of her videos tbh. Crying about working hard on the cream just shows that she finds it difficult to do something she doesn't want to. If she's passionate about creating, wouldn't she be more proud and happy rather than constantly harping on how hard she worked? What's more it's pretty obvious to me that she didn't really do much. It's not like she's in the Neogen lab formulating the products..... Did she even visit the factory to see how it's being put together? I don't blame her, I would get so bored too if I had to constantly talk about things I'm no longer interested in, for her, it's skincare. 

Without passion and interest, she'll not be able to come up with fresh new content because filming is just like a chore to her now, only reason why she's still doing it is because it pays good. One day the Koreaboos will get sick and tired of her endless skincare routines and boring favorites too. 

Side note, I've unsubbed but I follow her on Instagram and it irks me to see how many photos show her new expensive camera be it in mirror selfies or photos taken by another camera. Didn't she buy that camera to up her Instagram game? It's like she just bought it so she can show people she owns that camera rather than use it to actually take photos for her Instagram. 

Posted

i just watched her 2018 empties video and other than her terrible english and her equally as terrible transition screens what really bothered me was her camera that she used to film. If you look in the background theres a quote right behind her and it just constantly goes in and out of focus. Its so annoying!

Posted

joan's just a very awkward person sometimes i can relate cause i can also come off as awkward when i get nervous. but she would look 10 times cooler if she actually stopped trying so hard. from personally experience it never works out well when i try really hard to impress, it usually creates the opposite effect lol.